|Median resident age:||31.3 years|
|California median age:||32.1 years|
Zip codes: 92275.
Salton City CDP income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2012: $79,696 (it was $54,600 in 2000)
Median gross rent in 2012: $822.
- Hispanic - 2,368 (62.9%)
- White alone - 1,151 (30.6%)
- Black alone - 78 (2.1%)
- Two or more races - 59 (1.6%)
- Asian alone - 54 (1.4%)
- American Indian alone - 44 (1.2%)
- Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander alone - 5 (0.1%)
- Other race alone - 4 (0.1%)
|The Salton Sea (55 replies)|
|Which California city had the hottest girls? (66 replies)|
|Need to ask somebody about Salton City,California (12 replies)|
|Where to live in CA for senior, little money, liberal (44 replies)|
|Why do you HATE living in California? (123 replies)|
|What is the worst place to live in California? (80 replies)|
Latest news from Salton City, CA collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: Irish (16.5%), German (5.0%), French Canadian (3.1%), United States (2.0%), Dutch (1.3%).
Current Local Time: PST time zone
Elevation: -125 feet
Land area: 21.6 square miles.
Population density: 174 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Salton City:
- High school or higher: 72.3%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 12.5%
- Graduate or professional degree: 2.9%
- Unemployed: 11.5%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 33.9 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Salton City CDP:
- Never married: 29.4%
- Now married: 48.6%
- Separated: 7.9%
- Widowed: 2.6%
- Divorced: 11.5%
624 residents are foreign born
According to our research of California and other state lists there were 10 registered sex offenders living in Salton City, California as of May 27, 2015.
The ratio of number of residents in Salton City to the number of sex offenders is 376 to 1.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with mortgages in 2012: $1,226 (1.3%)
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with no mortgage in 2012: $759 (1.1%)
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Coachella Valley, CA (26.8 miles , pop. 118,932).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: San Diego, CA (77.6 miles , pop. 1,223,400).
Nearest cities: West Imperial, CA (2.1 miles ), Salton Sea Beach, CA (2.5 miles ), Desert Shores, CA (2.9 miles ), Bombay Beach, CA (3.7 miles ), Oasis, CA (3.8 miles ), Mecca, CA (4.5 miles ), Anza-Borrego Springs, CA (4.8 miles ), Borrego Springs, CA (4.9 miles ).
Latitude: 33.30 N, Longitude: 115.96 W
Unemployment by year (%)
- Construction (39%)
- Administrative and support and waste management services (12%)
- Public administration (11%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (10%)
- Manufacturing (6%)
- Health care and social assistance (6%)
- Real estate and rental and leasing (4%)
- Arts, entertainment, and recreation (27%)
- Public administration (20%)
- Retail trade (15%)
- Construction (14%)
- Accommodation and food services (8%)
- Wholesale trade (5%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (4%)
- Construction trades workers except carpenters, electricians, painters, plumbers, and construction laborers (40%)
- Construction laborers (17%)
- Driver/sales workers and truck drivers (11%)
- Retail sales workers except cashiers (9%)
- Other sales and related workers including supervisors (8%)
- Material recording, scheduling, dispatching, and distributing workers (8%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (6%)
- Agricultural workers including supervisors (46%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (22%)
- Other sales and related workers including supervisors (15%)
- Preschool, kindergarten, elementary and middle school teachers (9%)
- Supervisors and other personal care and service workers except personal appearance, transportation, and child care workers (9%)
Average climate in Salton City, California
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Earthquake activity:Salton City-area historical earthquake activity is near California state average. It is 649% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 6/28/1992 at 11:57:34, a magnitude 7.6 (6.2 MB, 7.6 MS, 7.3 MW, Depth: 0.7 mi, Class: Major, Intensity: VIII - XII) earthquake occurred 69.5 miles away from the city center, causing 3 deaths (1 shaking deaths, 2 other deaths) and 400 injuries, causing $100,000,000 total damage and $40,000,000 insured losses
On 5/19/1940 at 04:36:40, a magnitude 7.2 (7.2 UK) earthquake occurred 16.1 miles away from Salton City center, causing $33,000,000 total damage
On 10/16/1999 at 09:46:44, a magnitude 7.4 (6.3 MB, 7.4 MS, 7.2 MW, 7.3 ML) earthquake occurred 88.5 miles away from the city center
On 12/31/1934 at 18:45:56, a magnitude 7.1 (7.1 UK) earthquake occurred 44.0 miles away from the city center
On 7/21/1952 at 11:52:14, a magnitude 7.7 (7.7 UK) earthquake occurred 210.1 miles away from Salton City center, causing $50,000,000 total damage
On 10/15/1979 at 23:16:54, a magnitude 7.0 (5.7 MB, 6.9 MS, 7.0 ML, 6.4 MW) earthquake occurred 38.3 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: body-wave magnitude (MB), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Imperial County (8) is smaller than the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 7
Emergencies Declared: 1
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 5, Winter Storms: 3, Landslides: 2, Earthquake: 1, Freeze: 1, Hurricane: 1, Storm: 1, Tropical Storm: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Airports located in Salton City:
- Salton Sea Airport (Runways: 1, Itinerant Ops: 450)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Salton City:
- College of the Desert (about 39 miles; Palm Desert, CA; Full-time enrollment: 5,686)
- Imperial Valley College (about 42 miles; Imperial, CA; FT enrollment: 5,313)
- Mt San Jacinto Community College District (about 69 miles; San Jacinto, CA; FT enrollment: 8,426)
- Cuyamaca College (about 69 miles; El Cajon, CA; FT enrollment: 4,270)
- Grossmont College (about 70 miles; El Cajon, CA; FT enrollment: 10,461)
- California State University-San Marcos (about 71 miles; San Marcos, CA; FT enrollment: 8,070)
- Alliant International University (about 72 miles; San Diego, CA; FT enrollment: 3,155)
Public high school in Salton City:
- West Shores High School (Students: 270; Location: 2381 Shore Hawk Avenue; Grades: 7-12; Our rating: 11)
Public elementary/middle school in Salton City:
- Sea View Elementary School (Students: 269; Location: 2467 Sea Shore Avenue; Grades: K-6; Our rating: 23)
Notable location: Salton Golf Course (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Biloxi Wash (A), Anza Ditch (B), Zenas Wash (C), Verde Wash (D). Display/hide their locations on the map
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2012 was 294. This is significantly worse than average.
Ozone [ppb] level in 2012 was 32.8. This is about average. Closest monitor was 15.0 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM10) [µg/m3] level in 2012 was 59.2. This is significantly worse than average. Closest monitor was 21.3 miles away from the city center.
(23.7% for White Non-Hispanic residents, 0.0% for Black residents, 33.3% for Hispanic or Latino residents, 45.2% for other race residents, 67.6% for two or more races residents)
|This place:||3.1 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.5% of all households
- Gay men: 0.5% of all households
Salton City compared to California state average:
- Median household income below state average.
- Median house value significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly above state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher below state average.
Educational Attainment (%) in 2012
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2012
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Electricity (63%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (26%)
- Other fuel (7%)
- Utility gas (3%)
- No fuel used (1%)
Presidential Elections Results
1996 Presidential Elections Results
2000 Presidential Elections Results
2004 Presidential Elections Results
2008 Presidential Elections Results
2012 Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Salton City CDP (based on Imperial County data)Percentage of population affiliated with a religious congregations: 62.56%
Breakdown of population affiliated with a religious congregations
|Name||Catholic Church||Southern Baptist Convention||Assemblies of God||LDS (Mormon) Church||Seventh-Day Adventist Church|
|Name||Christian Churches and Churches of Christ||American Baptist Churches in the USA||United Methodist Church||Friends (Quakers)||Other|
Tables represent county-level data.
Food Environment Statistics:
|Imperial County:||2.49 / 10,000 pop.|
|California:||2.14 / 10,000 pop.|
|This county:||0.06 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||0.04 / 10,000 pop.|
|Imperial County:||0.62 / 10,000 pop.|
|California:||0.62 / 10,000 pop.|
|Imperial County:||3.23 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||1.49 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||4.85 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||7.42 / 10,000 pop.|
3.96% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($32,004 average adjusted gross income)
0.03% of residents moved from foreign countries ($230 average AGI)
Imperial County: 0.03% California average: 0.07%
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from San Diego County, CA||0.71% ($37,372 average AGI)|
|from Riverside County, CA||0.70% ($27,872)|
|from Los Angeles County, CA||0.40% ($25,974)|
4.38% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($33,289 average adjusted gross income)
0.09% of residents moved to foreign countries ($664 average AGI)
Imperial County: 0.09% California average: 0.10%
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Salton City:
- KFMB (760 AM; 50 kW; SAN DIEGO, CA; Owner: MIDWEST TELEVISION, INC.)
- KCBQ (1170 AM; 50 kW; SAN DIEGO, CA; Owner: RADIO 1210, INC.)
- KNWZ (970 AM; 5 kW; COACHELLA, CA; Owner: MCC RADIO, LLC)
- KPLS (830 AM; 50 kW; ORANGE, CA; Owner: CRN LICENSES, LLC)
- KLAC (570 AM; 50 kW; LOS ANGELES, CA; Owner: AMFM RADIO LICENSES, L.L.C.)
- KFI (640 AM; 50 kW; LOS ANGELES, CA; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- KNWQ (1140 AM; 10 kW; PALM SPRINGS, CA; Owner: MCC RADIO, LLC)
- KPRZ (1210 AM; 20 kW; SAN MARCOS, CA; Owner: RADIO 1210, INC.)
- KTNQ (1020 AM; 50 kW; LOS ANGELES, CA; Owner: KTNQ-AM LICENSE CORP.)
- KSPN (710 AM; 50 kW; LOS ANGELES, CA; Owner: KABC-AM RADIO, INC.)
- KXTA (1150 AM; 50 kW; LOS ANGELES, CA; Owner: CITICASTERS LICENSES, L.P.)
- KDIS (1110 AM; 50 kW; PASADENA, CA; Owner: ABC,INC.)
- KFWB (980 AM; 50 kW; LOS ANGELES, CA; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Salton City:
- KLVJ (100.1 FM; JULIAN, CA; Owner: EDUCATIONAL MEDIA FOUNDATION)
- KZAL (105.5 FM; DESERT CENTER, CA; Owner: WORLDWIDE MULTI-MEDIA B/C CO.)
- KLRD (90.1 FM; YUCAIPA, CA; Owner: EDUCATIONAL MEDIA FOUNDATION)
- KRTM (88.9 FM; TEMECULA, CA; Owner: PENFOLD COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- KRCK-FM (97.7 FM; MECCA, CA; Owner: PLAYA DEL SOL BROADCASTERS)
- KATY-FM (101.3 FM; IDYLLWILD, CA; Owner: ALL PRO BROADCASTING, INC.)
- K201AR (88.1 FM; BANNING, CA; Owner: KSGN, INC.)
- K232CX (94.3 FM; DESERT HOT SPRINGS, CA; Owner: MCC RADIO, LLC)
- KSEH (94.5 FM; BRAWLEY, CA; Owner: ENTRAVISION HOLDINGS, LLC)
|Most common first names in Salton City, CA among deceased individuals|
|Most common last names in Salton City, CA among deceased individuals|
|Last name||Count||Lived (average)|
Businesses in Salton City, CA
- FedEx: 1
Salton City on our top lists:
- #1 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of males in occupations: Supervisors and other personal care and service workers except personal appearance, transportation, and child care workers"
- #1 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of females working in industry: Grocery and related product merchant wholesalers"
- #2 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of females working in industry: Private households"
- #5 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of females in occupations: Waiters and waitresses"
- #7 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of males working in industry: Used merchandise, gift, novelty, and souvenir, and other miscellaneous stores"
- #13 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of males working in industry: Construction"
- #22 on the list of "Top 101 cities with the highest daily high temperatures"
- #48 on the list of "Top 101 cities with the hottest summers"
- #96 (92275) on the list of "Top 101 zip codes with the largest percentage of Basque first ancestries"
- #2 on the list of "Top 101 counties with the highest carbon monoxide air pollution readings in 2005 (ppm)"
- #7 on the list of "Top 101 counties with the highest Particulate Matter (PM10) Annual air pollution readings in 2005 (µg/m3)"
- #7 on the list of "Top 101 counties with the largest number of children under 18 without health insurance coverage in 2000 (pop. 50,000+)"
- #11 on the list of "Top 101 counties with the largest number of people without health insurance coverage in 2000"
- #14 on the list of "Top 101 counties with the highest Particulate Matter (PM10) 24-hour air pollution readings in 2005 (µg/m3)"