Salton City, California
Salton City: Sunrise over the Salton Sea
Salton City: Salton Sea Dusk
Salton City: the grand city on the sea
Salton City: A day at the beach. This is Bombay Beach in Imperial County, the shore of the Salton Sea. California largest lake in the middle of the desert.
Salton City: Salton Sea
Salton City: Sunrise over the Salton Sea 2
Salton City: Coming into Salton City
Salton City: Marina Drive, Salton City.
Submit your own pictures of this place and show them to the World
|Median resident age:||29.9 years|
|California median age:||36.4 years|
Zip codes: 92275.
Estimated per capita income in 2016: $15,480 (it was $14,106 in 2000)
Salton City CDP income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2016: $93,081 (it was $54,600 in 2000)
Mean prices in 2016: All housing units: $177,439; Detached houses: $205,897; Mobile homes: $41,980
Median gross rent in 2016: $860.
Races in Salton City, CA (2010)
- 1,15130.6%White alone
- 782.1%Black alone
- 591.6%Two or more races
- 541.4%Asian alone
- 441.2%American Indian alone
- 50.1%Native Hawaiian and Other
Pacific Islander alone
- 40.1%Other race alone
|homeless people making the sidewalk their home? (380 replies)|
|What is the worst place to live in California? (117 replies)|
|It's official : Homeless housing will cost $350,000 PER unit (157 replies)|
|Is Desert Hot Springs safe to raise small children? (66 replies)|
|Los Angeles finally about to crack down on homeless camps (481 replies)|
|Is Hemet, CA considered to be a racist/poor city? (28 replies)|
Latest news from Salton City, CA collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: Irish (3.8%), English (2.7%), German (1.9%), British (1.7%), American (1.3%), Canadian (1.3%).
Current Local Time: PST time zone
Elevation: -125 feet
Land area: 21.6 square miles.
Population density: 174 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Salton City:
- High school or higher: 64.9%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 10.2%
- Graduate or professional degree: 3.2%
- Unemployed: 11.5%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 33.9 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Salton City CDP:
- Never married: 39.5%
- Now married: 42.9%
- Separated: 2.7%
- Widowed: 6.3%
- Divorced: 8.5%
1,108 residents are foreign born (20.1% Latin America).
According to our research of California and other state lists there were 11 registered sex offenders living in Salton City, California as of May 22, 2018.
The ratio of number of residents in Salton City to the number of sex offenders is 480 to 1.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with mortgages in 2016: $1,302 (1.2%)
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with no mortgage in 2016: $955 (1.3%)
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Coachella Valley, CA (26.8 miles , pop. 118,932).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: San Diego, CA (77.6 miles , pop. 1,223,400).
Nearest cities: West Imperial, CA (2.1 miles ), Salton Sea Beach, CA (2.5 miles ), Desert Shores, CA (2.9 miles ), Bombay Beach, CA (3.7 miles ), Oasis, CA (3.8 miles ), Mecca, CA (4.5 miles ), Anza-Borrego Springs, CA (4.8 miles ), Borrego Springs, CA (4.9 miles ).
Latitude: 33.30 N, Longitude: 115.96 W
Unemployment by year (%)
- Construction (16%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (15%)
- Retail trade (13%)
- Utilities (11%)
- Manufacturing (10%)
- Public administration (7%)
- Other services, except public administration (7%)
- Educational services (26%)
- Retail trade (14%)
- Arts, entertainment, and recreation (10%)
- Administrative and support and waste management services (9%)
- Health care and social assistance (9%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (6%)
- Construction (5%)
- Transportation occupations (18%)
- Construction and extraction occupations (11%)
- Farming, fishing, and forestry occupations (11%)
- Production occupations (9%)
- Sales and related occupations (8%)
- Installation, maintenance, and repair occupations (7%)
- Material moving occupations (7%)
- Office and administrative support occupations (18%)
- Sales and related occupations (16%)
- Personal care and service occupations (12%)
- Food preparation and serving related occupations (11%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (11%)
- Education, training, and library occupations (8%)
- Healthcare support occupations (6%)
Average climate in Salton City, California
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Earthquake activity:Salton City-area historical earthquake activity is near California state average. It is 649% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 6/28/1992 at 11:57:34, a magnitude 7.6 (6.2 MB, 7.6 MS, 7.3 MW, Depth: 0.7 mi, Class: Major, Intensity: VIII - XII) earthquake occurred 69.5 miles away from the city center, causing 3 deaths (1 shaking deaths, 2 other deaths) and 400 injuries, causing $100,000,000 total damage and $40,000,000 insured losses
On 5/19/1940 at 04:36:40, a magnitude 7.2 (7.2 UK) earthquake occurred 16.1 miles away from Salton City center, causing $33,000,000 total damage
On 10/16/1999 at 09:46:44, a magnitude 7.4 (6.3 MB, 7.4 MS, 7.2 MW, 7.3 ML) earthquake occurred 88.5 miles away from the city center
On 12/31/1934 at 18:45:56, a magnitude 7.1 (7.1 UK) earthquake occurred 44.0 miles away from the city center
On 7/21/1952 at 11:52:14, a magnitude 7.7 (7.7 UK) earthquake occurred 210.1 miles away from Salton City center, causing $50,000,000 total damage
On 10/15/1979 at 23:16:54, a magnitude 7.0 (5.7 MB, 6.9 MS, 7.0 ML, 6.4 MW) earthquake occurred 38.3 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: body-wave magnitude (MB), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Imperial County (9) is smaller than the US average (13).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 8
Emergencies Declared: 1
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 5, Winter Storms: 3, Earthquakes: 2, Landslides: 2, Freeze: 1, Hurricane: 1, Storm: 1, Tropical Storm: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
airports located in Salton City:
- Salton Sea Airport (SAS) (Runways: 1, Itinerant Ops: 350)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Salton City:
- College of the Desert (about 39 miles; Palm Desert, CA; Full-time enrollment: 5,686)
- Imperial Valley College (about 42 miles; Imperial, CA; FT enrollment: 5,313)
- Mt San Jacinto Community College District (about 69 miles; San Jacinto, CA; FT enrollment: 8,426)
- Cuyamaca College (about 69 miles; El Cajon, CA; FT enrollment: 4,270)
- Grossmont College (about 70 miles; El Cajon, CA; FT enrollment: 10,461)
- California State University-San Marcos (about 71 miles; San Marcos, CA; FT enrollment: 8,070)
- Alliant International University (about 72 miles; San Diego, CA; FT enrollment: 3,155)
Public high schools in Salton City:
- WEST SHORES HIGH (Students: 270, Location: 2381 SHORE HAWK AVE., Grades: 7-12)
- JUAN BAUTISTA DE ANZA (Location: 2101 S. MARINA DR., STE. 4, Grades: 7-12, Charter school)
Public elementary/middle school in Salton City:
- SEA VIEW ELEMENTARY (Students: 269, Location: 2467 SEA SHORE AVE., Grades: KG-6)
Notable location: Salton Golf Course (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Biloxi Wash (A), Anza Ditch (B), Zenas Wash (C), Verde Wash (D). Display/hide their locations on the map
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2013 was 261. This is significantly worse than average.
Ozone [ppb] level in 2013 was 32.6. This is about average. Closest monitor was 15.0 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM10) [µg/m3] level in 2013 was 58.3. This is significantly worse than average. Closest monitor was 21.3 miles away from the city center.
(22.2% for White Non-Hispanic residents, 33.1% for Hispanic or Latino residents, 33.8% for other race residents)
|This place:||3.1 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.5% of all households
- Gay men: 0.5% of all households
Educational Attainment (%) in 2016
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2016
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Salton City CDP (based on Imperial County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Imperial County:||2.49 / 10,000 pop.|
|California:||2.14 / 10,000 pop.|
|This county:||0.06 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||0.04 / 10,000 pop.|
|Imperial County:||0.62 / 10,000 pop.|
|California:||0.62 / 10,000 pop.|
|Imperial County:||3.23 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||1.49 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||4.85 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||7.42 / 10,000 pop.|
Health and Nutrition:
More about Health and Nutrition of Salton City, CA Residents
3.96% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($32,004 average adjusted gross income)
0.03% of residents moved from foreign countries ($230 average AGI)
Imperial County: 0.03% California average: 0.07%
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from San Diego County, CA||0.71% ($37,372 average AGI)|
|from Riverside County, CA||0.70% ($27,872)|
|from Los Angeles County, CA||0.40% ($25,974)|
4.38% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($33,289 average adjusted gross income)
0.09% of residents moved to foreign countries ($664 average AGI)
Imperial County: 0.09% California average: 0.10%
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Salton City:
- KFMB (760 AM; 50 kW; SAN DIEGO, CA; Owner: MIDWEST TELEVISION, INC.)
- KCBQ (1170 AM; 50 kW; SAN DIEGO, CA; Owner: RADIO 1210, INC.)
- KNWZ (970 AM; 5 kW; COACHELLA, CA; Owner: MCC RADIO, LLC)
- KPLS (830 AM; 50 kW; ORANGE, CA; Owner: CRN LICENSES, LLC)
- KLAC (570 AM; 50 kW; LOS ANGELES, CA; Owner: AMFM RADIO LICENSES, L.L.C.)
- KFI (640 AM; 50 kW; LOS ANGELES, CA; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- KNWQ (1140 AM; 10 kW; PALM SPRINGS, CA; Owner: MCC RADIO, LLC)
- KPRZ (1210 AM; 20 kW; SAN MARCOS, CA; Owner: RADIO 1210, INC.)
- KTNQ (1020 AM; 50 kW; LOS ANGELES, CA; Owner: KTNQ-AM LICENSE CORP.)
- KSPN (710 AM; 50 kW; LOS ANGELES, CA; Owner: KABC-AM RADIO, INC.)
- KXTA (1150 AM; 50 kW; LOS ANGELES, CA; Owner: CITICASTERS LICENSES, L.P.)
- KDIS (1110 AM; 50 kW; PASADENA, CA; Owner: ABC,INC.)
- KFWB (980 AM; 50 kW; LOS ANGELES, CA; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Salton City:
- KLVJ (100.1 FM; JULIAN, CA; Owner: EDUCATIONAL MEDIA FOUNDATION)
- KZAL (105.5 FM; DESERT CENTER, CA; Owner: WORLDWIDE MULTI-MEDIA B/C CO.)
- KLRD (90.1 FM; YUCAIPA, CA; Owner: EDUCATIONAL MEDIA FOUNDATION)
- KRTM (88.9 FM; TEMECULA, CA; Owner: PENFOLD COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- KRCK-FM (97.7 FM; MECCA, CA; Owner: PLAYA DEL SOL BROADCASTERS)
- KATY-FM (101.3 FM; IDYLLWILD, CA; Owner: ALL PRO BROADCASTING, INC.)
- K201AR (88.1 FM; BANNING, CA; Owner: KSGN, INC.)
- K232CX (94.3 FM; DESERT HOT SPRINGS, CA; Owner: MCC RADIO, LLC)
- KSEH (94.5 FM; BRAWLEY, CA; Owner: ENTRAVISION HOLDINGS, LLC)
- National Bridge Inventory (NBI) Statistics
- 19Number of bridges
- 47m154ftTotal length
- 139,300Total average daily traffic
- 55,720Total average daily truck traffic
- 223,146Total future (year 2032) average daily traffic
New bridges - Historical Statistics
|Most common first names in Salton City, CA among deceased individuals|
|Most common last names in Salton City, CA among deceased individuals|
|Last name||Count||Lived (average)|
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Electricity (52%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (29%)
- No fuel used (13%)
- Utility gas (5%)
- Wood (1%)
- Other fuel (0%)
Businesses in Salton City, CA
- FedEx: 1
Salton City compared to California state average:
- Median household income below state average.
- Median house value significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly above state average.
- Length of stay since moving in below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
- Number of college students above state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher below state average.
Salton City on our top lists:
- #27 on the list of "Top 101 cities with the most residents born in Armenia (population 500+)"
- #97 (92275) on the list of "Top 101 zip codes with the largest percentage of Irish first ancestries"
- #1 on the list of "Top 101 counties with the highest lead air pollution readings in 2012 (µg/m3)"
- #8 on the list of "Top 101 counties with the highest Particulate Matter (PM10) Annual air pollution readings in 2012 (µg/m3)"
- #13 on the list of "Top 101 counties with the highest number of births per 1000 residents 2007-2013"
- #27 on the list of "Top 101 counties with the highest Particulate Matter (PM2.5) Annual air pollution readings in 2012 (µg/m3)"
- #37 on the list of "Top 101 counties with the largest decrease in the number of deaths per 1000 residents 2000-2006 to 2007-2013 (pop. 50,000+)"