|Median resident age:||29.9 years|
|South Carolina median age:||37.2 years|
Zip codes: 29138.
Saluda town income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2012: $82,148 (it was $62,100 in 2000)
Median gross rent in 2012: $535.
- Black alone - 1,390 (39.0%)
- Hispanic - 1,208 (33.9%)
- White alone - 898 (25.2%)
- Two or more races - 43 (1.2%)
- Asian alone - 15 (0.4%)
- American Indian alone - 8 (0.2%)
- Other race alone - 2 (0.06%)
- Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander alone - 1 (0.03%)
|Anyone go tubing on the Saluda River in the Easley area? (15 replies)|
|Columbia - general (980 replies)|
|3 Rivers Greenway--Saluda River Extension (10 replies)|
|Is There a Way to Access the area where the Saluda and Broad Rivers converge? (7 replies)|
|ATL fan's Greenville SC Planning Commision (644 replies)|
|Columbia in pictures Thread! (700 replies)|
Latest news from Saluda, SC collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: United States (7.7%), German (4.9%), Irish (4.6%), English (1.4%), French (1.1%).
Current Local Time: EST time zone
Elevation: 450 feet
Land area: 3.24 square miles.
Population density: 1,112 people per square mile(low).
For population 25 years and over in Saluda:
- High school or higher: 65.8%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 10.7%
- Graduate or professional degree: 1.0%
- Unemployed: 7.1%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 25.8 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Saluda town:
- Never married: 45.4%
- Now married: 43.7%
- Separated: 2.1%
- Widowed: 3.5%
- Divorced: 5.4%
745 residents are foreign born
According to our research of South Carolina and other state lists there were 33 registered sex offenders living in Saluda, South Carolina as of July 02, 2015.
The ratio of number of residents in Saluda to the number of sex offenders is 108 to 1.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with mortgages in 2012: $800 (0.7%)
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with no mortgage in 2012: $574 (0.7%)
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Dutch Fork, SC (35.5 miles , pop. 59,332).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Charlotte, NC (99.1 miles , pop. 540,828).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Philadelphia, PA (552.8 miles , pop. 1,517,550).
Nearest cities: Saluda River, SC (2.7 miles ), Ward, SC (3.2 miles) , Johnston, SC (3.5 miles ), Ridge Spring, SC (3.5 miles ), Monetta, SC (3.8 miles ), Kirksey, SC (3.9 miles ), Pleasant Lane, SC (3.9 miles ), Batesburg-Leesville, SC (3.9 miles ).
Latitude: 34.00 N, Longitude: 81.77 W
Area code: 864
|Crime rates in Saluda by Year|
|City-data.com crime rate (higher means more crime, U.S. average = 296.0)||209.6||524.2||478.0||494.3||506.5||669.8||549.3||626.5||523.9||666.6||441.2|
(click on a table row to update graph)
Crime rate in Saluda detailed stats: murders, rapes, robberies, assaults, burglaries, thefts, arson
|Officers per 1,000 residents here:||2.78|
|South Carolina average:||2.36|
Unemployment by year (%)
Historical housing units
Population change in the 1990s: +110 (+3.7%).
- Manufacturing (24%)
- Construction (18%)
- Wholesale trade (12%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (10%)
- Other services, except public administration (10%)
- Retail trade (8%)
- Transportation and warehousing (7%)
- Manufacturing (23%)
- Health care and social assistance (18%)
- Finance and insurance (13%)
- Accommodation and food services (8%)
- Retail trade (8%)
- Educational services (7%)
- Professional, scientific, and technical services (7%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (24%)
- Food processing workers (12%)
- Driver/sales workers and truck drivers (6%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (5%)
- Electrical equipment mechanics and other installation, maintenance, and repair occupations including supervisors (5%)
- Other sales and related workers including supervisors (4%)
- Carpenters (3%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (14%)
- Textile, apparel, and furnishings workers (8%)
- Laborers and material movers, hand (7%)
- Other office and administrative support workers including supervisors (6%)
- Preschool, kindergarten, elementary and middle school teachers (5%)
- Food processing workers (5%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (4%)
Average climate in Saluda, South Carolina
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Saluda-area historical tornado activity is slightly above South Carolina state average. It is 24% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 12/13/1973, a category F4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 18.8 miles away from the Saluda town center killed 2 people and caused between $500,000 and $5,000,000 in damages.
On 3/31/1973, a category F4 tornado 33.0 miles away from the town center killed 7 people and injured 30 people and caused between $500,000 and $5,000,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Saluda-area historical earthquake activity is near South Carolina state average. It is 84% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 8/2/1974 at 08:52:09, a magnitude 4.9 (4.3 MB, 4.9 LG, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 42.1 miles away from the city center
On 11/22/1974 at 05:25:55, a magnitude 4.7 (4.7 MB) earthquake occurred 121.0 miles away from Saluda center
On 11/30/1973 at 07:48:41, a magnitude 4.7 (4.7 MB, 4.6 ML) earthquake occurred 175.7 miles away from the city center
On 8/21/1992 at 16:31:55, a magnitude 4.4 (4.1 MB, 4.1 LG, 4.4 LG, Depth: 6.2 mi) earthquake occurred 116.0 miles away from the city center
On 4/29/2003 at 08:59:39, a magnitude 4.9 (4.4 MB, 4.6 MW, 4.9 LG, Depth: 12.2 mi) earthquake occurred 223.1 miles away from Saluda center
On 11/11/2002 at 23:39:29, a magnitude 4.4 (4.0 MB, 4.4 LG, Depth: 1.5 mi) earthquake occurred 153.4 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), local magnitude (ML), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Saluda County (4) is a lot smaller than the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 2
Emergencies Declared: 2
Causes of natural disasters: Drought: 1, Hurricane: 1, Ice Storm: 1, Winter Storm: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Birthplace of: Lyndon Amick - Stock car racing driver and soldier, Milledge Luke Bonham - Confederate Army general, James Butler Hare - US Congressman, Jason Mitchell - College basketball player (Cornell Big Red).
Hospitals and medical centers in Saluda:
Airports located in Saluda:
- Saluda County Airport (Runways: 1, Itinerant Ops: 800, Local Ops: 600)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Saluda:
- Piedmont Technical College (about 25 miles; Greenwood, SC; Full-time enrollment: 4,831)
- Lander University (about 27 miles; Greenwood, SC; FT enrollment: 2,870)
- University of South Carolina-Aiken (about 30 miles; Aiken, SC; FT enrollment: 2,815)
- Aiken Technical College (about 33 miles; Graniteville, SC; FT enrollment: 2,107)
- Midlands Technical College (about 38 miles; West Columbia, SC; FT enrollment: 8,916)
- Georgia Regents University (about 39 miles; Augusta, GA; FT enrollment: 6,862)
- University of South Carolina-Columbia (about 43 miles; Columbia, SC; FT enrollment: 27,789)
Public high school in Saluda:
- SALUDA HIGH (Students: 600; Location: 160 Ivory Key Road; Grades: 9-12)
Public elementary/middle schools in Saluda:
Notable locations in Saluda: Saluda Fire Department Number 400 (A), Saluda County Courthouse (B). Display/hide their locations on the map
Churches in Saluda include: Rock Hill Church (A), Mount Pleasant Lutheran Church (B), Corner Stone Christian Church (C), Saluda Presbyterian Church (D), Saint Pauls Church (E), Red Bank Church (F). Display/hide their locations on the map
Cemetery: Travis Park Cemetery (1). Display/hide its location on the map
Creek: Mine Creek (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Tourist attraction: Saluda County Historical Society (Museums; 109 Law Range Street).
Courts: Saluda County - Chambers- Family Court- Clerk Of Court- Probate Court (100 East Church), Saluda County - County Council- Clerk Of Court- Economic Development (400 West Highland Avenue), Saluda County - Clerk Of Court- Office (100 East Church), Saluda County - Clerk Of Court- Treasurer's Office (100 East Church).
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2012 was 50.7. This is significantly better than average.
Ozone [ppb] level in 2012 was 27.5. This is about average. Closest monitor was 18.8 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM2.5) [µg/m3] level in 2012 was 8.86. This is about average. Closest monitor was 18.8 miles away from the city center.
Lead (Pb) [µg/m3] level in 2007 was 0.00468. This is significantly better than average. Closest monitor was 18.8 miles away from the city center.
Drinking water stations with addresses in Saluda and their reported violations in the past:SALUDA CPW (4110001) (Population served: 3,200, Purch surface water):
Past monitoring violations:RICHARD DEASON MHP (4160011) (Population served: 24, Groundwater):
- Failure Submit IDSE/Subpart V Plan Rpt - In JUL-02-2010, Contaminant: DBP STAGE 2. Follow-up actions: St Compliance achieved (FEB-11-2011)
Past health violations:
Past monitoring violations:
- MCL, Acute (TCR) - In JUN-2014, Contaminant: Coliform
- Monitoring, Source Water (GWR) - In JUN-01-2014, Contaminant: E. COLI. Follow-up actions: St Violation/Reminder Notice (JUN-17-2014), St Public Notif requested (JUN-17-2014)
- Monitoring, Repeat Major (TCR) - In MAY-2014, Contaminant: Coliform (TCR). Follow-up actions: St Violation/Reminder Notice (JUN-17-2014), St Public Notif requested (JUN-17-2014)
- Initial Tap Sampling for Pb and Cu - In JAN-01-2007, Contaminant: Lead and Copper Rule. Follow-up actions: St Public Notif requested (FEB-08-2007), St Violation/Reminder Notice (FEB-08-2007), St Public Notif received (JUL-01-2007), St Compliance achieved (APR-01-2011)
- One minor monitoring violation
Drinking water stations with addresses in Saluda that have no violations reported:
- SALUDA CO W&S AUTHORITY (4120001) (Population served: 2,439, Primary Water Source Type: Purch surface water)
- SALUDA WATERS S/D (4150010) (Population served: 125, Primary Water Source Type: Groundwater)
(4.6% for White Non-Hispanic residents, 52.9% for Black residents, 31.1% for Hispanic or Latino residents, 30.7% for other race residents, 16.7% for two or more races residents)
|This town:||2.9 people|
|South Carolina:||2.5 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.2% of all households
- Gay men: 0.2% of all households
People in group quarters in Saluda in 2000:
- 21 people in local jails and other confinement facilities (including police lockups)
- 12 people in homes for the mentally ill
- 2 people in homes for the mentally retarded
Saluda compared to South Carolina state average:
- Median household income below state average.
- Median house value below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly above state average.
- Median age below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly above state average.
- Renting percentage above state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- House age above state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher below state average.
Banks with branches in Saluda (2011 data):
- SunTrust Bank: Saluda I 751 at 300 North Main Street, branch established on 2000/06/17; Saluda 2 Main Branch 753 at 100 South Main Street, branch established on 1965/07/12. Info updated 2010/05/27: Bank assets: $171,291.7 mil, Deposits: $129,833.2 mil, headquarters in Atlanta, GA, positive income, Commercial Lending Specialization, 1716 total offices, Holding Company: Suntrust Banks, Inc.
- Park Sterling Bank: Saluda Office Branch at 437 North Main Street, branch established on 1999/11/01; Saluda Branch at 200 North Main Street, branch established on 1987/12/18. Info updated 2011/12/19: Bank assets: $1,051.7 mil, Deposits: $846.3 mil, headquarters in Charlotte, NC, negative income in the last year, Commercial Lending Specialization, 26 total offices, Holding Company: Park Sterling Corporation
- First Citizens Bank and Trust Company, Inc.: Saluda Branch at 201 North Main Street, branch established on 1965/08/15. Info updated 2011/08/24: Bank assets: $8,104.0 mil, Deposits: $6,880.8 mil, headquarters in Columbia, SC, positive income, 197 total offices, Holding Company: First Citizens Bancorporation, Inc.
Educational Attainment (%) in 2012
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2012
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Electricity (60%)
- Utility gas (34%)
- Wood (2%)
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (2%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (1%)
Presidential Elections Results
1996 Presidential Elections Results
2000 Presidential Elections Results
2004 Presidential Elections Results
2008 Presidential Elections Results
2012 Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Saluda town (based on Saluda County data)Percentage of population affiliated with a religious congregations: 44.53%
Breakdown of population affiliated with a religious congregations
|Name||Southern Baptist Convention||United Methodist Church||Evangelical Lutheran Church in America||International Pentecostal Holiness Church||Other|
Tables represent county-level data.
Food Environment Statistics:
|Saluda County:||1.07 / 10,000 pop.|
|South Carolina:||1.99 / 10,000 pop.|
|Saluda County:||1.60 / 10,000 pop.|
|South Carolina:||0.85 / 10,000 pop.|
|Saluda County:||4.28 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||5.38 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||4.81 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||7.75 / 10,000 pop.|
|Local government employment and payroll (March 2012)|
|Function||Full-time employees||Monthly full-time payroll||Average yearly full-time wage||Part-time employees||Monthly part-time payroll|
|Other Government Administration||0||$0||6||$4,320|
|Judicial and Legal||1||$2,325||$27,900||2||$1,770|
|Police Protection - Officers||10||$29,154||$34,985||0||$0|
|Solid Waste Management||6||$11,681||$23,362||0||$0|
|Other and Unallocable||1||$1,780||$21,360||2||$1,550|
|Totals for Government||19||$49,113||$31,019||28||$10,450|
Saluda government finances - Expenditure in 2002 (per resident):
- Construction - Central Staff Services: $120,000 ($33.33)
- Current Operations - Central Staff Services: $486,000 ($135.00)
Police Protection: $406,000 ($112.78)
Regular Highways: $158,000 ($43.89)
Fire Protection: $30,000 ($8.33)
- Other Capital Outlay - Fire Protection: $46,000 ($12.78)
General - Other: $27,000 ($7.50)
Police Protection: $23,000 ($6.39)
Regular Highways: $16,000 ($4.44)
Central Staff: $1,000 ($0.28)
- Total Salaries & Wages: $681,000 ($189.17)
Saluda government finances - Revenue in 2002 (per resident):
- Charges - All Other: $57,000 ($15.83)
- Federal Intergovernmental - All Other: $97,000 ($26.94)
Housing & Community Development: $16,000 ($4.44)
- Local Intergovernmental - All Other: $216,000 ($60.00)
General Support: $208,000 ($57.78)
- Miscellaneous - General Revenue, NEC: $165,000 ($45.83)
Interest Earnings: $73,000 ($20.28)
- State Intergovernmental - General Support: $122,000 ($33.89)
All Other: $97,000 ($26.94)
- Tax - Property: $280,000 ($77.78)
NEC: $196,000 ($54.44)
Public Utilities: $113,000 ($31.39)
Saluda government finances - Cash and Securities in 2002 (per resident):
- Other Funds - Cash & Deposits: $1,406,000 ($390.56)
5.22% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($28,907 average adjusted gross income)
|South Carolina average:||6.90%|
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Lexington County, SC||1.30% ($28,495 average AGI)|
|from Edgefield County, SC||0.52% ($23,333)|
|from Aiken County, SC||0.46% ($39,438)|
5.56% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($28,585 average adjusted gross income)
|South Carolina average:||6.53%|
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Saluda:
- WJES (1190 AM; 1 kW; SALUDA, SC; Owner: EDGEFIELD-SALUDA RADIO COMPANY, INC.)
- WBAJ (890 AM; daytime; 50 kW; BLYTHEWOOD, SC; Owner: FAMILY FIRST)
- WCEO (840 AM; daytime; 50 kW; COLUMBIA, SC; Owner: EASTERN BROADCASTING GROUP, INC.)
- WBLR (1430 AM; 5 kW; BATESBURG, SC; Owner: BARINOWSKI INVESTMENT COMPANY)
- WBCU (1460 AM; 50 kW; UNION, SC)
- WLFJ (660 AM; daytime; 50 kW; GREENVILLE, SC; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WLGO (1170 AM; daytime; 10 kW; LEXINGTON, SC; Owner: LEVAS COMMUNICATIONS, LLC)
- WCSZ (1070 AM; 50 kW; SANS SOUCI, SC; Owner: WHYZ RADIO, L.P.)
- WCZZ (1090 AM; daytime; 5 kW; GREENWOOD, SC; Owner: KEENE OF SOUTH CAROLINA, INC.)
- WVOC (560 AM; 5 kW; COLUMBIA, SC; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WAGL (1560 AM; daytime; 50 kW; LANCASTER, SC; Owner: PALMETTO BROADCASTING SYSTEM, INC.)
- WGAC (580 AM; 5 kW; AUGUSTA, GA; Owner: WGAC LICENSE, LLC)
- WRDW (1480 AM; 10 kW; AUGUSTA, GA; Owner: WCHZ LICENSE, LLC)
Strongest FM radio stations in Saluda:
- WJES-FM (92.1 FM; SALUDA, SC; Owner: BRECKENRIDGE COMMUNICATIONS, LLC)
- WKSX-FM (92.7 FM; JOHNSTON, SC; Owner: EDGEFIELD-SALUDA RADIO COMPANY, INC.)
- WBBQ-FM (104.3 FM; AUGUSTA, GA; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WHZQ (94.1 FM; CROSS HILL, SC; Owner: SOUTHEASTERN BROADCAST ASSOCIATES, INC.)
- WSSL-FM (100.5 FM; GRAY COURT, SC; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WMHK (89.7 FM; COLUMBIA, SC; Owner: COLUMBIA BIBLE COLLEGE B/CING CO.)
- WAFJ (88.3 FM; BELVEDERE, SC; Owner: RADIO TRAINING NETWORK, INC.)
- WKXC-FM (99.5 FM; AIKEN, SC; Owner: WGAC LICENSE, LLC)
- WZMJ (93.1 FM; BATESBURG, SC; Owner: URBAN RADIO OF SOUTH CAROLINA, LLC)
- WZNY (105.7 FM; AUGUSTA, GA; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WKSP (96.3 FM; AIKEN, SC; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WROQ (101.1 FM; ANDERSON, SC; Owner: OBC BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WCOS-FM (97.5 FM; COLUMBIA, SC; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WLPE (91.7 FM; AUGUSTA, GA; Owner: AUGUSTA RADIO FELLOWSHIP INSTITUTE, INC.)
- W274AE (102.7 FM; GREENWOOD, SC; Owner: BIBLE BROADCASTING NETWORK, INC.)
TV broadcast stations around Saluda:
- WJBF (Channel 6; AUGUSTA, GA; Owner: MEDIA GENERAL BROADCASTING OF SO. CAROLINA HOLDINGS, INC.)
- WAGT (Channel 26; AUGUSTA, GA; Owner: WAGT TELEVISION, INC.)
- WRDW-TV (Channel 12; AUGUSTA, GA; Owner: WRDW LICENSEE CORP.)
- WFXG (Channel 54; AUGUSTA, GA; Owner: FISHER BROADCASTING - GEORGIA, L.L.C.)
- WOLO-TV (Channel 25; COLUMBIA, SC; Owner: SOUTH CAROLINA BROADCASTING PARTNERS)
- W56EE (Channel 56; JOHNSTON, SC; Owner: DOVE BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WNEH (Channel 38; GREENWOOD, SC; Owner: SOUTH CAROLINA EDUCATIONAL TV COMMISSION)
Fatal road traffic accident statistics for 1975 - 2011 (per 100,000 population)
- Fatal accident count: 12
- Vehicles involved in fatal accidents: 18
- Fatal accidents caused by drunken drivers: 3
- Fatalities: 12
- Persons involved in fatal accidents: 25
- Pedestrians involved in fatal accidents: 2
- Fatal accident count: 90
- Vehicles involved in fatal accidents: 136
- Fatal accidents caused by drunken drivers: 29
- Fatalities: 98
- Persons involved in fatal accidents: 228
- Pedestrians involved in fatal accidents: 13
Total length: 12 meters (39ft)
Total costs: $612,000
Total average daily traffic: 9,500
Total average daily truck traffic: 570
Total future (year 2030) average daily traffic: 13,395
FCC Registered Antenna Towers: 151 (See the full list of FCC Registered Antenna Towers)
FCC Registered Commercial Land Mobile Towers: 1 (See the full list of FCC Registered Commercial Land Mobile Towers in Saluda, SC)
FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers: 10 (See the full list of FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers)
FCC Registered Broadcast Land Mobile Towers: 1 (See the full list of FCC Registered Broadcast Land Mobile Towers)
FCC Registered Microwave Towers: 8 (See the full list of FCC Registered Microwave Towers in this town)
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses: 29 (See the full list of FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses in Saluda)
FAA Registered Aircraft: 18 (See the full list of FAA Registered Aircraft in Saluda)
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 69
- Hazardous Condition: 33
- Good Intent Call: 2
Incident types - Saluda
|Most common first names in Saluda, SC among deceased individuals|
|Most common last names in Saluda, SC among deceased individuals|
|Last name||Count||Lived (average)|
|Businesses in Saluda, SC|
|Advance Auto Parts||1||Pizza Hut||1|