We are giving away $1200 in prizes - enter simply by sending us your own city pictures!
|Median resident age:||40.9 years|
|Alabama median age:||35.8 years|
Zip code: 36775
Estimated per capita income in 2013: $18,063 (it was $14,466 in 2000)
Sardis CCD income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2013: $90,431 (it was $68,100 in 2000)
Races in Sardis, AL (2000)
- 1,05564.8%Black alone
- 56334.6%White alone
- 50.3%Asian alone
- 30.2%Two or more races
- 10.06%American Indian alone
Current Local Time: CST time zone
Land area: 79.3 square miles.
Population density: 19 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Sardis:
- High school or higher: 58.0%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 8.8%
- Graduate or professional degree: 3.4%
- Unemployed: 11.5%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 33.1 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Sardis CCD:
- Never married: 34.8%
- Now married: 48.8%
- Separated: 2.4%
- Widowed: 13.5%
- Divorced: 2.9%
According to our research of Alabama and other state lists there were 4 registered sex offenders living in Sardis, Alabama as of November 26, 2015.
The ratio of number of residents in Sardis to the number of sex offenders is 377 to 1.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|Sardis CCD:||0.3% ($199)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Montgomery, AL (43.9 miles , pop. 201,568).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Houston, TX (524.9 miles , pop. 1,953,631).
Nearest cities: Craig-Tyler, AL (2.5 miles ), Selmont-West Selmont, AL (2.7 miles ), Carlowville, AL (2.9 miles ), Selma, AL (3.2 miles ), Benton, AL (3.5 miles) , Orrville, AL (3.6 miles ), Benton-Collirene, AL (3.7 miles ), Valley Grande, AL (4.1 miles ).
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1997: 1 building, cost: $100,000
- 1998: 18 buildings, average cost: $68,100
- 1999: 16 buildings, average cost: $74,700
- 2000: 16 buildings, average cost: $74,700
- 2001: 16 buildings, average cost: $74,700
- 2002: 18 buildings, average cost: $74,700
- 2003: 20 buildings, average cost: $74,700
- 2004: 20 buildings, average cost: $74,700
- 2005: 23 buildings, average cost: $74,700
- 2006: 23 buildings, average cost: $74,700
- 2007: 8 buildings, average cost: $200,000
- 2008: 11 buildings, average cost: $200,000
- 2009: 9 buildings, average cost: $200,000
- 2010: 9 buildings, average cost: $200,000
- 2011: 9 buildings, average cost: $200,000
- 2012: 1 building, cost: $146,000
Number of permits per 10,000 residents
Average cost (in $1000s)
Latitude: 32.27 N, Longitude: 87.02 W
Area code commonly used in this area: 334
|Crime rates in Sardis by Year|
|City-data.com crime index (higher means more crime, U.S. average = 291.7)||92.5||177.3||194.1||207.8||131.8||192.7||190.3||210.0||147.2||205.5||176.1||128.1|
(click on a table row to update graph)
Crime rate in Sardis detailed stats: murders, rapes, robberies, assaults, burglaries, thefts, arson
Unemployment by year (%)
- Construction (23%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (18%)
- Metal and metal products (10%)
- Paper (7%)
- Religious, grantmaking, civic, professional, and similar organizations (7%)
- Educational services (5%)
- Administrative and support and waste management services (5%)
- Department and other general merchandise stores (9%)
- Educational services (9%)
- Miscellaneous manufacturing (8%)
- Public administration (8%)
- Pharmacies and drug stores (7%)
- Other direct selling establishments (7%)
- Health care (7%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (13%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (12%)
- Construction laborers (11%)
- Metal workers and plastic workers (10%)
- Farmers and farm managers (9%)
- Agricultural workers including supervisors (6%)
- Electrical equipment mechanics and other installation, maintenance, and repair occupations including supervisors (5%)
- Bookkeeping, accounting, and auditing clerks (12%)
- Cooks and food preparation workers (11%)
- Textile, apparel, and furnishings workers (10%)
- Retail sales workers except cashiers (9%)
- Health technologists and technicians (8%)
- Secretaries and administrative assistants (7%)
- Other sales and related workers including supervisors (6%)
Average climate in Sardis, Alabama
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Sardis-area historical tornado activity is below Alabama state average. It is 32% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 3/1/2007, a category F4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 25.0 miles away from the Sardis place center killed one person and injured 2 people and caused $2 million in damages.
On 12/6/1983, a category F3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 9.3 miles away from the place center killed one person and injured 19 people and caused between $500,000 and $5,000,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Sardis-area historical earthquake activity is near Alabama state average. It is 82% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 10/24/1997 at 08:35:17, a magnitude 4.9 (4.8 MB, 4.2 MS, 4.9 LG, Depth: 6.2 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 80.8 miles away from the city center
On 1/18/1999 at 07:00:53, a magnitude 4.8 (4.8 MB, 4.0 LG, Depth: 0.6 mi) earthquake occurred 79.5 miles away from Sardis center
On 11/7/2004 at 11:20:21, a magnitude 4.4 (4.4 MB, 4.3 MW, 4.0 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 59.2 miles away from the city center
On 4/29/2003 at 08:59:39, a magnitude 4.9 (4.4 MB, 4.6 MW, 4.9 LG, Depth: 12.2 mi) earthquake occurred 173.5 miles away from the city center
On 6/24/1975 at 11:11:36, a magnitude 4.5 (4.5 MB) earthquake occurred 110.7 miles away from Sardis center
On 9/10/2006 at 14:56:08, a magnitude 5.9 (5.9 MB, 5.5 MS, 5.8 MW, Depth: 8.7 mi, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 417.2 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Dallas County (15) is greater than the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 10
Emergencies Declared: 5
Causes of natural disasters: Storms: 9, Floods: 7, Tornadoes: 7, Hurricanes: 4, Winds: 3, Drought: 1, Snowfall: 1, Winter Storm: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Hospitals and medical centers near Sardis:
- WARREN MANOR HEALTH AND REHABILITATION CENTER (Nursing Home, about 11 miles away; SELMA, AL)
- FMC SELMA (Dialysis Facility, about 11 miles away; SELMA, AL)
- VAUGHAN REG MED CENTER PARKWAY CAMPUS Acute Care Hospitals (about 11 miles away; SELMA, AL)
- FMC DALLAS COUNTY (Dialysis Facility, about 12 miles away; SELMA, AL)
- PARK PLACE NURSING AND REHABILITATION CENTER, LLC (Nursing Home, about 12 miles away; SELMA, AL)
- FMC VALLEY CREEK (Dialysis Facility, about 12 miles away; SELMA, AL)
- LIGHTHOUSE REHABILITATION AND HEALTHCARE CENTER (Nursing Home, about 12 miles away; SELMA, AL)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Sardis:
- Alabama State University (about 43 miles; Montgomery, AL; Full-time enrollment: 5,457)
- Faulkner University (about 48 miles; Montgomery, AL; FT enrollment: 2,887)
- Auburn University at Montgomery (about 50 miles; Montgomery, AL; FT enrollment: 4,092)
- University of Montevallo (about 59 miles; Montevallo, AL; FT enrollment: 2,826)
- Shelton State Community College (about 67 miles; Tuscaloosa, AL; FT enrollment: 4,106)
- Troy University (about 71 miles; Troy, AL; FT enrollment: 16,148)
- University of West Alabama (about 72 miles; Livingston, AL; FT enrollment: 3,394)
Public elementary/middle school in Sardis:
- Shiloh Elementary School (Students: 215; Location: 6200 DALLAS ROAD 30; Grades: OK-6)
Notable locations in Sardis: Kings Landing (A), Sardis Volunteer Fire Department (B). Display/hide their locations on the map
Churches in Sardis include: New Bride Church (A), Shady Grove Church (B), Shiloh Church (C), Shiloh Baptist Church (D), Union Church (E), Adams Grove Presbyterian Church (F), Cosey Church (G), East Salem Church (H), Mount Nebo Church (I). Display/hide their locations on the map
Cemeteries: Adams Grove Cemetery (1), Mount Olive Cemetery (2), King Cemetery (3), Mount Leveton Cemetery (4), Shiloh Cemetery (5). Display/hide their locations on the map
Reservoirs and swamps: Plummer Lake (A), Titi Swamp (B). Display/hide their locations on the map
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Steep Creek (A), Sorrell Branch (B), Mountain Branch (C), Lias Creek (D), King Mill Branch (E), Cook Branch (F), Berlin Branch (G). Display/hide their locations on the map
Parks in Sardis include: Six Mile Creek Public Use Area (1), Kings Landing Public Use Area (2). Display/hide their locations on the map
Drinking water stations with addresses in Sardis and their reported violations in the past:SOUTH DALLAS WATER AUTHORITY (Population served: 3,669, Groundwater):
Past monitoring violations:
- One minor monitoring violation
|This place:||2.4 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.2% of all households
- Gay men: 0.4% of all households
Residents with income below the poverty level in 2009:
Residents with income below 50% of the poverty level in 2009:
Sardis compared to Alabama state average:
- Median household income below state average.
- Median house value below state average.
- Unemployed percentage below state average.
- Black race population percentage above state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Renting percentage below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher below state average.
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (59%)
- Electricity (20%)
- Utility gas (17%)
- Wood (3%)
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (1%)
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Sardis CCD (based on Dallas County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Dallas County:||2.56 / 10,000 pop.|
|Alabama:||1.89 / 10,000 pop.|
|This county:||0.23 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||0.20 / 10,000 pop.|
|Dallas County:||0.93 / 10,000 pop.|
|Alabama:||0.65 / 10,000 pop.|
|Dallas County:||9.54 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||6.32 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||3.95 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||5.75 / 10,000 pop.|
3.92% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($26,925 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Montgomery County, AL||0.48% ($21,882 average AGI)|
|from Jefferson County, AL||0.21% ($23,100)|
|from Perry County, AL||0.21% ($22,833)|
5.07% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($28,292 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Sardis:
- WJOX (690 AM; 50 kW; BIRMINGHAM, AL; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WMRK (1340 AM; 1 kW; SELMA, AL; Owner: ALEXANDER B/C CO. INC.)
- WDJC (850 AM; 50 kW; BIRMINGHAM, AL; Owner: KIMTRON, INC.)
- WAPI (1070 AM; 50 kW; BIRMINGHAM, AL; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WHBB (1490 AM; 1 kW; SELMA, AL; Owner: BROADSOUTH COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WMSP (740 AM; 10 kW; MONTGOMERY, AL; Owner: CUMULUS LICENSING CORP.)
- WASG (550 AM; 25 kW; ATMORE, AL; Owner: 550 AM, INC)
- WJUS (1310 AM; 5 kW; MARION, AL; Owner: GRACE BAPTIST TEMPLE CHURCH)
- WACV (1170 AM; 10 kW; MONTGOMERY, AL; Owner: MONTGOMERY BROADCAST PROPERTIES, LTD)
- WNSI (810 AM; 50 kW; JACKSONVILLE, AL; Owner: UNITED BROADCASTING NETWORK, INC.)
- WSJC (810 AM; 50 kW; MAGEE, MS; Owner: FAMILY TALK RADIO)
- WKNG (1060 AM; daytime; 50 kW; TALLAPOOSA, GA; Owner: WKNG, INC.)
- WGST (640 AM; 50 kW; ATLANTA, GA; Owner: CITICASTERS LICENSES, L.P.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Sardis:
- WALX (100.9 FM; SELMA, AL; Owner: ALEXANDER BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- WAPR (88.3 FM; SELMA, AL; Owner: UA-ASU-TSU EDUCATIONAL RADIO CORP.)
- WJAM-FM (97.3 FM; ORRVILLE, AL; Owner: SCOTT COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WBFZ (105.3 FM; SELMA, AL; Owner: IMANI COMMUNICATIONS CORPORATION, INC)
- WDXX (100.1 FM; SELMA, AL; Owner: BROADSOUTH COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WAQU (91.1 FM; SELMA, AL; Owner: AMERICAN FAMILY ASSOCIATION)
- WLWI-FM (92.3 FM; MONTGOMERY, AL; Owner: CUMULUS LICENSING CORP.)
- WQLD (104.3 FM; LUVERNE, AL; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WZHT (105.7 FM; TROY, AL; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WMXS (103.3 FM; MONTGOMERY, AL; Owner: CUMULUS LICENSING CORP.)
- WVFG (107.5 FM; UNIONTOWN, AL; Owner: CHARLES E. JONES, JR.)
- W232AN (94.3 FM; SELMA, AL; Owner: THE MOODY BIBLE INSTITUTE OF CHICAGO)
TV broadcast stations around Sardis:
- WAKA (Channel 8; SELMA, AL; Owner: ALABAMA BROADCASTING PARTNERS)
- WBIH (Channel 29; SELMA, AL; Owner: FLINN BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- W24CK (Channel 24; SELMA, AL; Owner: TRINITY BROADCASTING NETWORK)
- WNCF (Channel 32; MONTGOMERY, AL; Owner: CHANNEL 32 MONTGOMERY LLC)
- WRJM-TV (Channel 67; TROY, AL; Owner: JOSIE PARK BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WSFA (Channel 12; MONTGOMERY, AL; Owner: LIBCO, INC.)
- WCOV-TV (Channel 20; MONTGOMERY, AL; Owner: WOODS COMMUNICATIONS CORPORATION)
Sardis fatal accident list:
Jan 25, 1998 01:15 AM, Us-Sr1, Vehicles: 1, Persons: 1, Fatalities: 1
Jul 18, 1996 05:34 PM, 1211, Vehicles: 3, Persons: 3, Fatalities: 2
Aug 15, 1996 12:15 AM, 1211, Vehicles: 1, Persons: 1, Fatalities: 1
Jul 4, 1988 10:36 PM, Sr1, Vehicles: 2, Persons: 6, Fatalities: 1, Drunken persons involved: 1
FCC Registered Antenna Towers:28 (See the full list of FCC Registered Antenna Towers in Sardis)
FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers:3
- Sardis City Hall (Lat: 34.173694 Lon: -86.124694), Call Sign: KVI578, Licensee ID: L00564294
Assigned Frequencies: 155.010 MHz
Grant Date: 08/30/2002, Expiration Date: 11/05/2012, Cancellation Date: 01/05/2013
Registrant: City Of Sardis, 1335 Sardis Dr, Sardis City, AL 35956
- Kings Landing (Lat: 32.175694 Lon: -87.008611), Call Sign: WRL872
Assigned Frequencies: 31.6800 MHz
Grant Date: 06/22/1999, Expiration Date: 08/23/2004, Cancellation Date: 05/17/2002
Registrant: O W Till Jr, 417 County Rd 30, Sardis, AL 36775, Phone: (205) 874-7881
- CR 67 PRV, Water Prv Pit Located On Cr 67 (Lat: 32.276667 Lon: -86.949722), Type: Pipe, Structure height: 6 m, Call Sign: WQHA948
Assigned Frequencies: 173.362 MHz
Grant Date: 06/14/2007, Expiration Date: 06/14/2017, Certifier: Teddy Pouncey
Registrant: Duke Instrument Service, Saraland, AL 36571-3016, Phone: (251) 675-6067, Fax: (251) 675-5938, Email:
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses:1
- Call Sign: KD4TTH, Licensee ID: L00593191
Grant Date: 07/31/2002, Expiration Date: 10/13/2012, Certifier: Ronald S Wilson
Registrant: Ronald S Wilson, 166 Sunrise Drive, Sardis, AL 35956
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 22
- Hazardous Condition: 1
Incident types - Sardis
Sardis on our top lists:
- #27 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of females working in industry: Pharmacies and drug stores"
- #34 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of females working in industry: Other direct selling establishments"
- #41 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of females in occupations: Protective service occupations:"
- #57 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of females in occupations: Personal care and service occupations:"
- #66 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of males in occupations: Personal care and service occupations:"
- #67 on the list of "Top 101 cities with low-earning residents located near cities with high-earning residents"
- #79 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of females working in industry: Paper"
- #8 (36775) on the list of "Top 101 zip codes with the largest percentage of residents speaking English at home (pop 1,000+)"