We are giving away $1200 in prizes - enter simply by sending us your own city pictures!
|Median resident age:||46.0 years|
|Massachusetts median age:||39.2 years|
Zip codes: 01256.
Estimated per capita income in 2013: $28,671 (it was $20,223 in 2000)
Savoy town income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2013: $166,214 (it was $95,800 in 2000)
Mean prices in 2013: All housing units: $258,164; Detached houses: $274,924; Townhouses or other attached units: $187,486; In 2-unit structures: $203,780; In 3-to-4-unit structures: $169,468; In 5-or-more-unit structures: $204,729; Mobile homes: $29,637
Races in Savoy, MA (2010)
- 64493.1%White alone
- 213.0%Two or more races
- 131.9%Black alone
- 40.6%American Indian alone
- 10.1%Asian alone
|Snow this week in Savoy (4 replies)|
|Best Camping in Western MA? (5 replies)|
|What I like about Western Ma (19 replies)|
|Favorite restaurants that are no longer there (292 replies)|
|the best small country town in MA? (16 replies)|
|Favorite State Parks or natural preserves? (14 replies)|
Latest news from Savoy, MA collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: French (27.1%), Polish (22.4%), Irish (18.9%), English (12.3%), German (10.2%), Italian (9.9%).
Current Local Time: EST time zone
Incorporated in 1797
Elevation: 1720 feet
Land area: 35.9 square miles.
Population density: 19 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Savoy:
- High school or higher: 84.3%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 15.1%
- Graduate or professional degree: 6.3%
- Unemployed: 4.8%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 31.8 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Savoy town:
- Never married: 19.6%
- Now married: 60.8%
- Separated: 1.4%
- Widowed: 7.3%
- Divorced: 10.9%
7 residents are foreign born
According to our research of Massachusetts and other state lists there were 3 registered sex offenders living in Savoy, Massachusetts as of August 28, 2016.
The ratio of number of residents in Savoy to the number of sex offenders is 236 to 1.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|Savoy town:||1.4% ($1,369)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Chicopee, MA (36.3 miles , pop. 54,653).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Boston, MA (99.9 miles , pop. 589,141).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Bronx, NY (128.7 miles , pop. 1,332,650).
Nearest cities: Hawley, MA (2.2 miles ), Florida, MA (2.4 miles ), Adams, MA (2.4 miles ), Windsor, MA (2.5 miles ), Plainfield, MA (2.7 miles ), Charlemont, MA (2.8 miles ), Cheshire, MA (2.8 miles ), Monroe, MA (2.9 miles) .
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1997: 5 buildings, average cost: $87,400
- 1998: 6 buildings, average cost: $87,400
- 2000: 4 buildings, average cost: $66,700
- 2001: 5 buildings, average cost: $66,700
- 2002: 5 buildings, average cost: $66,700
- 2003: 5 buildings, average cost: $66,700
- 2004: 6 buildings, average cost: $66,700
- 2005: 6 buildings, average cost: $66,700
- 2006: 7 buildings, average cost: $150,000
- 2007: 6 buildings, average cost: $150,000
- 2008: 1 building, cost: $166,000
- 2009: 1 building, cost: $125,100
- 2010: 2 buildings, average cost: $179,000
- 2012: 1 building, cost: $376,000
- 2013: 1 building, cost: $376,000
- 2014: 1 building, cost: $376,000
Number of permits per 10,000 residents
Average cost (in $1000s)
Latitude: 42.59 N, Longitude: 73.01 W
Area code commonly used in this area: 413
|Crime rates in Savoy by Year|
|City-data.com crime index (higher means more crime, U.S. average = 298.5)||172.8||69.7||54.8||0.0|
(click on a table row to update graph)
Crime rate in Savoy detailed stats: murders, rapes, robberies, assaults, burglaries, thefts, arson
Unemployment by year (%)
- Construction (19%)
- Mining, quarrying, and oil and gas extraction (9%)
- Paper (7%)
- Metal and metal products (7%)
- Educational services (7%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (5%)
- Professional, scientific, and technical services (4%)
- Health care (22%)
- Educational services (11%)
- Administrative and support and waste management services (8%)
- Printing and related support activities (5%)
- Social assistance (5%)
- Food and beverage stores (5%)
- Accommodation and food services (5%)
- Vehicle and mobile equipment mechanics, installers, and repairers (14%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (9%)
- Other management occupations except farmers and farm managers (6%)
- Electricians (4%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (4%)
- Woodworkers (4%)
- Computer specialists (4%)
- Other healthcare support occupations (8%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (8%)
- Business operations specialists (5%)
- Counselors, social workers, and other community and social service specialists (5%)
- Health technologists and technicians (5%)
- Other office and administrative support workers including supervisors (4%)
- Accountants and auditors (4%)
Average climate in Savoy, Massachusetts
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Savoy-area historical tornado activity is slightly above Massachusetts state average. It is 20% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 8/28/1973, a category F4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 24.0 miles away from the Savoy town center killed 4 people and injured 36 people and caused between $5,000,000 and $50,000,000 in damages.
On 5/29/1995, a category F4 tornado 30.3 miles away from the town center killed 3 people and injured 24 people and caused between $5,000,000 and $50,000,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Savoy-area historical earthquake activity is near Massachusetts state average. It is 88% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 10/7/1983 at 10:18:46, a magnitude 5.3 (5.1 MB, 5.3 LG, 5.1 ML, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 115.5 miles away from the city center
On 4/20/2002 at 10:50:47, a magnitude 5.2 (5.2 MB, 4.2 MS, 5.2 MW, 5.0 MW, Depth: 6.8 mi) earthquake occurred 135.7 miles away from Savoy center
On 1/19/1982 at 00:14:42, a magnitude 4.7 (4.5 MB, 4.7 MD, 4.5 LG, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 95.0 miles away from the city center
On 6/17/1991 at 08:53:16, a magnitude 4.1 (4.0 MB, 4.0 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 84.9 miles away from the city center
On 10/2/1994 at 11:27:22, a magnitude 3.7 (3.5 LG, 3.7 LG, Depth: 6.2 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: II - III) earthquake occurred 41.1 miles away from Savoy center
On 1/16/1994 at 01:49:16, a magnitude 4.6 (4.6 MB, 4.6 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 221.5 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), duration magnitude (MD), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Berkshire County (14) is near the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 7
Emergencies Declared: 7
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 4, Snowstorms: 3, Storms: 3, Winter Storms: 3, Blizzards: 2, Hurricanes: 2, Snows: 2, Snowfall: 1, Wind: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Birthplace of: Duane Leroy Bliss - Businessman.
Hospitals and medical centers near Savoy:
- NORTHERN BERKSHIRE COMPREHENSIVE CARE (Home Health Center, about 7 miles away; ADAMS, MA)
- HOSPICE OF N BERKSHIRE INC (Hospital, about 7 miles away; ADAMS, MA)
- NORTH ADAMS COMMONS NURSING AND REHABILITATION CENTE (Nursing Home, about 10 miles away; NORTH ADAMS, MA)
- ADAMS N H OF N ADAMS (Nursing Home, about 10 miles away; NORTH ADAMS, MA)
- NORTH ADAMS REGIONAL HOSPITAL Acute Care Hospitals (about 10 miles away; NORTH ADAMS, MA)
- WILLIAMSTOWN COMMONS NURSING AND REHAB (Nursing Home, about 12 miles away; WILLIAMSTOWN, MA)
- CRANEVILLE PLACE AT DALTON (Nursing Home, about 12 miles away; DALTON, MA)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Savoy:
- Williams College (about 13 miles; Williamstown, MA; Full-time enrollment: 2,141)
- Smith College (about 27 miles; Northampton, MA; FT enrollment: 3,549)
- University of Massachusetts-Amherst (about 29 miles; Amherst, MA; FT enrollment: 26,583)
- Mount Holyoke College (about 33 miles; South Hadley, MA; FT enrollment: 2,573)
- Holyoke Community College (about 34 miles; Holyoke, MA; FT enrollment: 4,911)
- Westfield State University (about 34 miles; Westfield, MA; FT enrollment: 5,548)
- Hudson Valley Community College (about 35 miles; Troy, NY; FT enrollment: 9,346)
Notable location: Savoy Fire Department (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Cemeteries: New State Cemetery (1), Brier Cemetery (2), New State Cemetery (3), The Tomb Cemetery (4). Display/hide their locations on the map
Lakes, reservoirs, and swamps: South Pond (A), Tannery Pond (B), Bog Pond (C), Burnett Pond (D), Tyler Pond (E). Display/hide their locations on the map
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Tilton Brook (A), Tannery Brook (B), Horsefords Brook (C), Brown Brook (D), Black Brook (E), Savoy Hollow Brook (F), Ross Brook (G), Parker Brook (H), Drowned Land Brook (I). Display/hide their locations on the map
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2013 was 76.0. This is about average.
Sulfur Dioxide (SO2) [ppb] level in 2001 was 1.71. This is about average. Closest monitor was 8.4 miles away from the city center.
Ozone [ppb] level in 2013 was 31.8. This is about average. Closest monitor was 13.7 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM10) [µg/m3] level in 2002 was 14.3. This is better than average. Closest monitor was 21.7 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM2.5) [µg/m3] level in 2013 was 9.76. This is about average. Closest monitor was 15.8 miles away from the city center.
|This town:||2.3 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.7% of all households
- Gay men: 1.7% of all households
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Savoy town (based on Berkshire County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Berkshire County:||2.54 / 10,000 pop.|
|Massachusetts:||1.98 / 10,000 pop.|
|Berkshire County:||1.61 / 10,000 pop.|
|Massachusetts:||2.22 / 10,000 pop.|
|Berkshire County:||4.08 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||1.77 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||15.00 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||8.76 / 10,000 pop.|
3.11% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($46,056 average adjusted gross income)
0.04% of residents moved from foreign countries ($441 average AGI)
Berkshire County: 0.04% Massachusetts average: 0.06%
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Hampden County, MA||0.18% ($40,323 average AGI)|
|from Middlesex County, MA||0.13% ($77,300)|
|from Hampshire County, MA||0.11% ($24,695)|
3.67% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($42,710 average adjusted gross income)
0.07% of residents moved to foreign countries ($772 average AGI)
Berkshire County: 0.07% Massachusetts average: 0.11%
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Savoy:
- WNNZ (640 AM; 50 kW; WESTFIELD, MA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WGY (810 AM; 50 kW; SCHENECTADY, NY; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WPTR (1540 AM; 50 kW; ALBANY, NY; Owner: KIMTRON, INC.)
- WCRN (830 AM; 50 kW; WORCESTER, MA; Owner: CARTER BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WIZZ (1520 AM; daytime; 10 kW; GREENFIELD, MA; Owner: P. & M. RADIO, LLC)
- WUHN (1110 AM; daytime; 5 kW; PITTSFIELD, MA; Owner: WEINER BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WTIC (1080 AM; 50 kW; HARTFORD, CT; Owner: INFINITY RADIO OPERATIONS INC.)
- WNAW (1230 AM; 1 kW; NORTH ADAMS, MA; Owner: BERKSHIRE BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- WVNE (760 AM; daytime; 25 kW; LEICESTER, MA; Owner: BLOUNT MASSCOM, INC.)
- WRKO (680 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WHYN (560 AM; 5 kW; SPRINGFIELD, MA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WALE (990 AM; 50 kW; GREENVILLE, RI; Owner: NORTH AMERICAN BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- WEEI (850 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
Strongest FM radio stations in Savoy:
- WAMC-FM (90.3 FM; ALBANY, NY; Owner: WAMC)
- WMNB (100.1 FM; NORTH ADAMS, MA; Owner: BERKSHIRE BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- WVAY (100.7 FM; WILMINGTON, VT; Owner: GREAT NORTHERN RADIO, L.L.C.)
- WEQX (102.7 FM; MANCHESTER, VT; Owner: NORTHSHIRE COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WJAN (95.1 FM; SUNDERLAND, VT; Owner: 6 JOHNSON ROAD LICENSES, INC.)
- WZEC (97.5 FM; HOOSICK FALLS, NY; Owner: GREAT NORTHERN RADIO, LLC)
- WPVQ (95.3 FM; GREENFIELD, MA; Owner: GREAT NORTHERN RADIO, L.L.C.)
- WBEC-FM (105.5 FM; PITTSFIELD, MA; Owner: GREAT NORTHERN RADIO, LLC)
- WUPE (95.9 FM; PITTSFIELD, MA; Owner: WEINER BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WRSY (101.5 FM; MARLBORO, VT; Owner: GREAT NORTHERN RADIO, L.L.C.)
- WHVP (91.1 FM; HUDSON, NY; Owner: SOUND OF LIFE, INC.)
- WHYN-FM (93.1 FM; SPRINGFIELD, MA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WRNX (100.9 FM; AMHERST, MA; Owner: WESTERN MASSACHUSETTS RADIO COMPANY)
- WJJR (98.1 FM; RUTLAND, VT; Owner: 6 JOHNSON ROAD LICENSES, INC.)
- WZRT (97.1 FM; RUTLAND, VT; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WFCR (88.5 FM; AMHERST, MA; Owner: UNIVERSITY OF MASSACHUSETTS)
- WHAI (98.3 FM; GREENFIELD, MA; Owner: SAGA COMMUNICATIONS OF NEW ENGLAND, LLC)
- WHDQ (106.1 FM; CLAREMONT, NH; Owner: GREAT NORTHERN RADIO, L.L.C.)
- WVPR (89.5 FM; WINDSOR, VT; Owner: VERMONT PUBLIC RADIO)
- WRSI (93.9 FM; TURNERS FALLS, MA; Owner: GREAT NORTHERN RADIO, LLC)
TV broadcast stations around Savoy:
- WCDC-TV (Channel 19; ADAMS, MA; Owner: YOUNG BROADCASTING OF ALBANY, INC.)
- W35BK (Channel 35; PLAINFIELD, MA; Owner: LYDIA SYLVANE STOCKWELL)
- W38DL (Channel 38; ADAMS, ETC., MA; Owner: WNYT-TV, LLC)
Savoy fatal accident list:
Nov 4, 2005 03:19 PM, Sr-2, Vehicles: 1, Persons: 1, Fatalities: 1
Nov 1, 2004 03:00 PM, Sr-116, Vehicles: 1, Persons: 1, Fatalities: 1
- National Bridge Inventory (NBI) Statistics
- 14Number of bridges
- 16m52ftTotal length
- $5,745,000Total costs
- 9,354Total average daily traffic
- 1,359Total average daily truck traffic
- 11,300Total future (year 2031) average daily traffic
New bridges - Historical Statistics
FCC Registered Cell Phone Towers:1
- 215 Windsor Rd (98482) (Lat: 42.554528 Lon: -73.038611), Type: Mtower, Structure height: 45.7 m, Overall height: 46.6 m, Call Sign: KNKA666
Assigned Frequencies: 880.020 MHz, 880.020 MHz, 880.020 MHz, 835.020 MHz, 835.020 MHz, 835.020 MHz, 891.510 MHz, 891.510 MHz, 891.510 MHz, 846.510 MHz, 846.510 MHz, 846.510 MHzGrant Date: 08/19/2008, Expiration Date: 10/01/2018, Certifier: Michael P GogginRegistrant: At&t Mobility LLC, 1120 20th Street, Nw - Suite 1000, Washington, DC 20036, Phone: (202) 457-2055, Fax: (202) 457-3073, Email:
FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers:1
- Borden Mountain (Lat: 42.600083 Lon: -73.027611), Type: Tower, Structure height: 33 m, Call Sign: WPMZ626
Assigned Frequencies: 33.4800 MHz, 33.5400 MHz, 33.8600 MHzGrant Date: 04/13/1999, Expiration Date: 04/13/2004, Cancellation Date: 06/13/2004, Certifier: John TaylorRegistrant: Motorola Inc, 9 Hazelnut Ln, Londonderry, NH 03053, Fax: (603) 434-0070
FCC Registered Microwave Towers:6
- 2.5 Mi N Of (Lat: 42.600083 Lon: -73.027583), Overall height: 33.2 m, Call Sign: WNTZ232
Assigned Frequencies: 6730.62 MHzGrant Date: 06/13/1995, Expiration Date: 06/13/2000, Cancellation Date: 09/24/2000Registrant: Phone: (617) 935-3424
- SAVOY, 2.5 Mi N Of (Lat: 42.600083 Lon: -73.027611), Type: Mast, Structure height: 33.2 m, Call Sign: WPXE364
Assigned Frequencies: 10621.2 MHz, 6731.25 MHz, 6775.00 MHzGrant Date: 01/23/2013, Expiration Date: 03/17/2023, Certifier: Linda DunlevyRegistrant: Franklin Regional Council Of Governments, 12 Olive St, Ste 2, Greenfield, MA 01301-3318, Phone: (413) 774-3167, Fax: (413) 774-3169, Email:
- BORDEN MTN, Tower Road (Lat: 42.600083 Lon: -73.027333), Type: Tower, Structure height: 30.5 m, Overall height: 33.5 m, Call Sign: WQDH236
Assigned Frequencies: 6595.00 MHz, 957.550 MHz, 957.150 MHz, 934.375 MHzGrant Date: 08/24/2005, Expiration Date: 08/24/2015, Cancellation Date: 10/24/2015, Certifier: Russell SienkiewczRegistrant: Cromack Industries, Inc., 22 Rockland Rd, Greenfield, MA 01302, Phone: (413) 774-6500, Email:
- Borden Mtn., Tower Road, Off Adams Rd. (Lat: 42.600222 Lon: -73.027500), Type: Tower, Structure height: 32.9 m, Overall height: 38 m, Call Sign: WQGV326
Assigned Frequencies: 6695.00 MHz, 6655.00 MHzGrant Date: 04/24/2007, Expiration Date: 04/24/2017, Certifier: John J NachillyRegistrant: Keller And Heckman LLP, 1001 G Street Nw, Suite 500 West, Washington, DC 20001, Phone: (202) 434-4100, Fax: (202) 434-4646, Email:
- SAVOY, Cory Road Fire Lookout Twr (Lat: 42.600361 Lon: -73.029556), Type: Tower, Structure height: 30.5 m, Overall height: 31 m, Call Sign: WQHU379
Assigned Frequencies: 958.350 MHzGrant Date: 11/07/2007, Expiration Date: 11/07/2017, Certifier: William BrownRegistrant: Cromack Industries, Inc., Greenfield, MA 01302, Phone: (413) 774-6513, Email:
- BORDEN MTN, Tower Rd, Sw Of The Intersection Of Adams Rd And Bannis Rd 2.7 Mi N Of (Lat: 42.601194 Lon: -73.027611), Type: Tower, Structure height: 18.3 m, Overall height: 20.7 m, Call Sign: WQNC842
Assigned Frequencies: 10643.1 MHz, 10627.5 MHz, 10603.1 MHz, 6625.00 MHzGrant Date: 12/21/2010, Expiration Date: 12/21/2020, Certifier: Charles B SutherlandRegistrant: Commonwealth Of Massachusetts Department Of State Police, 470 Worcester Road, Framingham, MA 01701, Phone: (508) 820-2264
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses:8 (See the full list of FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses in Savoy)
FAA Registered Aircraft:1
- Aircraft: CESSNA 177RG (Category: Land, Seats: 4, Weight: Up to 12,499 Pounds, Speed: 120 mph), Engine: LYCOMING IO-360-A1B6D (200 HP) (Reciprocating)
N-Number: 8255G , Serial Number: 177RG0155, Year manufactured: 1971, Airworthiness Date: 04/23/1971
Registrant (Individual): John Bromback, 1107 Main Rd, Savoy, MA 01256
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 2
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (42%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (25%)
- Wood (21%)
- Electricity (8%)
- Coal or coke (4%)
Savoy compared to Massachusetts state average:
- Median house value below state average.
- Unemployed percentage significantly below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Renting percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
- Number of college students below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher below state average.