Schell City, Missouri
We are giving away $1200 in prizes - enter simply by sending us your own city pictures!
|Median resident age:||46.2 years|
|Missouri median age:||38.1 years|
Zip codes: 64783.
Estimated per capita income in 2013: $14,123 (it was $11,027 in 2000)
Schell City city income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2013: $30,626 (it was $21,700 in 2000)
Mean prices in 2013: All housing units: $33,558; Detached houses: $47,063; Mobile homes: $14,908
Median gross rent in 2013: $273.
Races in Schell City, MO (2010)
- 23996.0%White alone
- 41.6%American Indian alone
- 20.8%Two or more races
|Horse meat processing plant proposed in Ozarks (55 replies)|
|Made In Missouri (22 replies)|
|What is a good outdoor area for hiking and photography in Southwestern Missouri? (11 replies)|
Latest news from Schell City, MO collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: Irish (22.7%), German (19.8%), United States (10.1%), English (6.8%), Subsaharan African (4.3%), Dutch (3.9%).
Current Local Time: CST time zone
Incorporated in 1879
Elevation: 747 feet
Land area: 0.63 square miles.
Population density: 395 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Schell City:
- High school or higher: 71.4%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 1.5%
- Graduate or professional degree: 0.8%
- Unemployed: 5.9%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 37.4 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Schell City city:
- Never married: 21.8%
- Now married: 33.9%
- Separated: 5.3%
- Widowed: 23.7%
- Divorced: 15.3%
9 residents are foreign born (4.8% Africa).
According to our research of Missouri and other state lists there were 2 registered sex offenders living in Schell City, Missouri as of December 02, 2016.
The ratio of number of residents in Schell City to the number of sex offenders is 123 to 1.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with mortgages in 2013: $521 (1.1%)
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with no mortgage in 2013: $273 (0.9%)
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Lee's Summit, MO (64.0 miles , pop. 70,700).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Kansas City, MO (76.9 miles , pop. 441,545).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Dallas, TX (391.1 miles , pop. 1,188,580).
Nearest cities: Rockville, MO (2.0 miles) , Harwood, MO (2.2 miles) , Walker, MO (3.2 miles ), El Dorado Springs, MO (3.4 miles ), Appleton City, MO (3.6 miles ), Rich Hill, MO (3.8 miles ), Roscoe, MO (4.1 miles) , Metz, MO (4.2 miles) .
Latitude: 38.02 N, Longitude: 94.12 W
Area code: 417
Unemployment by year (%)
- Other services, except public administration (30%)
- Manufacturing (22%)
- Mining, quarrying, and oil and gas extraction (13%)
- Retail trade (13%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (9%)
- Health care and social assistance (9%)
- Construction (4%)
- Health care and social assistance (42%)
- Educational services (21%)
- Accommodation and food services (19%)
- Retail trade (6%)
- Public administration (6%)
- Transportation and warehousing (4%)
- Real estate and rental and leasing (2%)
- Production occupations (35%)
- Installation, maintenance, and repair occupations (22%)
- Community and social service occupations (17%)
- Material moving occupations (13%)
- Farming, fishing, and forestry occupations (9%)
- Construction and extraction occupations (4%)
- Management occupations (0%)
- Office and administrative support occupations (31%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (17%)
- Management occupations (15%)
- Healthcare support occupations (15%)
- Education, training, and library occupations (6%)
- Food preparation and serving related occupations (6%)
- Sales and related occupations (6%)
Average climate in Schell City, Missouri
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Schell City-area historical tornado activity is near Missouri state average. It is 56% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 11/17/1958, a category F3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 5.8 miles away from the Schell City city center injured one person and caused between $50,000 and $500,000 in damages.
On 5/4/1999, a category F3 tornado 10.2 miles away from the city center injured one person and caused $50,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Schell City-area historical earthquake activity is near Missouri state average. It is 74% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 5/4/1991 at 01:18:54, a magnitude 5.0 (4.4 MB, 4.6 LG, 5.0 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 256.8 miles away from the city center
On 9/26/1990 at 13:18:51, a magnitude 5.0 (4.7 MB, 4.8 LG, 5.0 LG, Depth: 7.7 mi) earthquake occurred 257.9 miles away from Schell City center
On 3/25/1976 at 00:41:20, a magnitude 5.0 (4.9 MB, 5.0 LG) earthquake occurred 266.7 miles away from the city center
On 4/18/2008 at 09:36:59, a magnitude 5.4 (5.1 MB, 4.8 MS, 5.4 MW, 5.2 MW, Depth: 8.9 mi) earthquake occurred 339.8 miles away from the city center
On 5/4/2001 at 06:42:12, a magnitude 4.7 (4.2 MB, 4.7 LG, 4.5 LG, Depth: 6.2 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 222.0 miles away from Schell City center
On 1/21/1982 at 00:33:54, a magnitude 4.7 (4.5 MB, 4.7 LG, 4.5 LG) earthquake occurred 223.7 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Vernon County (18) is greater than the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 13
Emergencies Declared: 5
Causes of natural disasters: Storms: 11, Floods: 10, Tornadoes: 7, Winter Storms: 4, Drought: 1, Hurricane: 1, Ice Storm: 1, Snowstorm: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Hospitals and medical centers near Schell City:
- SAC OSAGE HOME HEALTH CARE, INC (Home Health Center, about 12 miles away; EL DORADO SPRINGS, MO)
- CEDAR COUNTY MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (Hospital, about 13 miles away; EL DORADO SPG, MO)
- CEDAR COUNTY MEMORIAL HOSPITAL HOME HEALTH AGENCY (Home Health Center, about 13 miles away; EL DORADO SPRINGS, MO)
- COMMUNITY SPRINGS HEALTHCARE FACILITY (Nursing Home, about 13 miles away; EL DORADO SPRINGS, MO)
- ELLETT MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (Hospital, about 14 miles away; APPLETON CITY, MO)
- APPLETON CITY MANOR (Nursing Home, about 14 miles away; APPLETON CITY, MO)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Schell City:
- Southwest Baptist University (about 49 miles; Bolivar, MO; Full-time enrollment: 2,783)
- Pittsburg State University (about 55 miles; Pittsburg, KS; FT enrollment: 6,838)
- University of Central Missouri (about 55 miles; Warrensburg, MO; FT enrollment: 9,952)
- State Fair Community College (about 66 miles; Sedalia, MO; FT enrollment: 3,581)
- Missouri Southern State University (about 67 miles; Joplin, MO; FT enrollment: 4,456)
- MidAmerica Nazarene University (about 70 miles; Olathe, KS; FT enrollment: 2,158)
- Wright Career College (about 70 miles; Overland Park, KS; FT enrollment: 3,107)
Public elementary/middle school in Schell City:
- NORTHEAST VERNON CO. R-I ELEM. (Students: 126, Location: 150 N HICKORY ST, Grades: PK-6)
Notable location: Schell City Volunteer Fire Department (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2013 was 85.6. This is about average.
Nitrogen Dioxide (NO2) [ppb] level in 2002 was 1.49. This is significantly better than average. Closest monitor was 23.2 miles away from the city center.
Ozone [ppb] level in 2013 was 34.7. This is about average. Closest monitor was 23.2 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM2.5) [µg/m3] level in 2013 was 8.82. This is about average. Closest monitor was 23.2 miles away from the city center.
(22.2% for White Non-Hispanic residents, 100.0% for Hispanic or Latino residents, 100.0% for two or more races residents)
|This city:||2.2 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
No gay or lesbian households reported
Banks with branches in Schell City (2011 data):
- Farmers State Bank, S/B: at 100 North Main Street, branch established on 1910/11/24. Info updated 2007/12/20: Bank assets: $69.7 mil, Deposits: $56.2 mil, local headquarters, positive income, 5 total offices, Holding Company: Farmers Financial Corporation
Educational Attainment (%) in 2013
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2013
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Schell City city (based on Vernon County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Vernon County:||1.00 / 10,000 pop.|
|Missouri:||1.88 / 10,000 pop.|
|This county:||0.50 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||0.18 / 10,000 pop.|
|Vernon County:||5.00 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||4.34 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||7.50 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||7.37 / 10,000 pop.|
Health and Nutrition:
More about Health and Nutrition of Schell City, MO Residents
|Local government employment and payroll (March 2002)|
|Function||Full-time employees||Monthly full-time payroll||Average yearly full-time wage||Part-time employees||Monthly part-time payroll|
|Other Government Administration||1||$865||$10,380||0||$0|
|Totals for Government||1||$865||$10,380||1||$250|
Schell City government finances - Expenditure in 2002 (per resident):
- Current Operations - Water Utilities: $21,000 ($84.34)
Regular Highways: $11,000 ($44.18)
Fire Protection: $4,000 ($16.06)
Central Staff Services: $3,000 ($12.05)
- Total Salaries & Wages: $12,000 ($48.19)
Schell City government finances - Revenue in 2002 (per resident):
- Revenue - Water Utilities: $21,000 ($84.34)
- State Intergovernmental - Highways: $12,000 ($48.19)
- Tax - Property: $4,000 ($16.06)
Schell City government finances - Cash and Securities in 2002 (per resident):
- Other Funds - Cash & Deposits: $13,000 ($52.21)
5.40% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($32,192 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Cedar County, MO||0.54% ($25,711 average AGI)|
|from Bourbon County, KS||0.40% ($28,179)|
|from Bates County, MO||0.30% ($19,476)|
6.20% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($27,977 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Schell City:
- WHB (810 AM; 50 kW; KANSAS CITY, MO; Owner: UNION BROADCASTING, INC.)
- KKOW (860 AM; 10 kW; PITTSBURG, KS; Owner: AMERICAN MEDIA INVESTMENTS)
- KKHK (1250 AM; 25 kW; KANSAS CITY, KS)
- KESM (1580 AM; 1 kW; ELDORADO SPRINGS, MO; Owner: WILDWOOD COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- KRMG (740 AM; 50 kW; TULSA, OK; Owner: CXR HOLDINGS, INC.)
- KFAQ (1170 AM; 50 kW; TULSA, OK; Owner: JOURNAL BROADCAST CORPORATION)
- KCMO (710 AM; 10 kW; KANSAS CITY, MO; Owner: SUSQUEHANNA KANSAS CITY PARTNERSHIP)
- KGGF (690 AM; 10 kW; COFFEYVILLE, KS; Owner: KGGF-KUSN, INC.)
- KCSP (610 AM; 5 kW; KANSAS CITY, MO; Owner: ENTERCOM KANSAS CITY LICENSE, LLC)
- KRMS (1150 AM; 10 kW; OSAGE BEACH, MO; Owner: VIPER COMMUNICATIONS, INC)
- KCCV (760 AM; daytime; 6 kW; OVERLAND PARK, KS; Owner: BOTT BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WMBH (1560 AM; 10 kW; JOPLIN, MO)
- KNEM (1240 AM; 1 kW; NEVADA, MO; Owner: HARBIT COMMUNICATIONS, INC)
Strongest FM radio stations in Schell City:
- KNMO-FM (97.5 FM; NEVADA, MO; Owner: HARBIT COMMUNICATIONS, INC)
- KESM-FM (105.5 FM; EL DORADO SPRINGS, MO; Owner: WILDWOOD COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- KDKD-FM (95.3 FM; CLINTON, MO; Owner: CLINTON RADIO COMPANY, INC.)
- K206CH (89.1 FM; NEVADA, MO; Owner: CALVARY CHAPEL OF TWIN FALLS, INC.)
- National Bridge Inventory (NBI) Statistics
- 2Number of bridges
- 1m3ftTotal length
- 648Total average daily traffic
- 71Total average daily truck traffic
- 906Total future (year 2034) average daily traffic
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 2
|Most common first names in Schell City, MO among deceased individuals|
|Most common last names in Schell City, MO among deceased individuals|
|Last name||Count||Lived (average)|
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Electricity (61%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (32%)
- Wood (5%)
Schell City compared to Missouri state average:
- Median household income significantly below state average.
- Median house value significantly below state average.
- Unemployed percentage below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage below state average.
- Median age above state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher significantly below state average.