Science Hill, Kentucky
We are giving away $1200 in prizes - enter simply by sending us your own city pictures!
|Median resident age:||41.4 years|
|Kentucky median age:||38.5 years|
Zip codes: 42553.
Estimated per capita income in 2013: $14,937 (it was $14,476 in 2000)
Science Hill city income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2013: $110,457 (it was $58,800 in 2000)
Mean prices in 2013: All housing units: $125,244; Detached houses: $141,178; Townhouses or other attached units: $169,277; In 2-unit structures: $138,470; In 3-to-4-unit structures: $122,914; Mobile homes: $35,748
Median gross rent in 2013: $636.
Races in Science Hill, KY (2010)
- 67196.8%White alone
- 81.2%Black alone
- 40.6%Two or more races
|NEWCOMERS please read before posting (38 replies)|
|Uh oh! Another thread about moving to KY. (10 replies)|
|Moving to KY with teenage kids (3 replies)|
|Goofy Kentucky Town Names ... (98 replies)|
|Considering Relocation to KY (somerset area??) can you help with info? (15 replies)|
|Also looking at moving into the Somerset area (4 replies)|
Latest news from Science Hill, KY collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: United States (38.3%), English (17.1%), German (12.3%), Irish (7.9%), Scotch-Irish (3.5%), Swedish (3.1%).
Current Local Time: EST time zone
Incorporated on 04/08/1882
Elevation: 1117 feet
Land area: 0.63 square miles.
Population density: 1,125 people per square mile(low).
For population 25 years and over in Science Hill:
- High school or higher: 76.5%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 9.6%
- Graduate or professional degree: 4.8%
- Unemployed: 3.8%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 24.9 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Science Hill city:
- Never married: 21.7%
- Now married: 48.7%
- Separated: 2.7%
- Widowed: 8.5%
- Divorced: 18.3%
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with mortgages in 2013: $711 (0.6%)
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with no mortgage in 2013: $614 (0.7%)
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Fayette, KY (59.6 miles , pop. 260,512).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Chicago, IL (361.2 miles , pop. 2,896,016).
Nearest cities: Somerset, KY (2.6 miles ), Eubank, KY (2.7 miles ), Ferguson, KY (2.8 miles ), Nancy, KY (3.4 miles ), Shopville, KY (3.5 miles ), Burnside, KY (3.6 miles ), Middleburg, KY (3.6 miles ), Waynesburg, KY (3.6 miles ).
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 2006: 3 buildings, average cost: $159,000
Latitude: 37.18 N, Longitude: 84.64 W
Area code: 606
|Crime rates in Science Hill by Year|
|City-data.com crime index (higher means more crime, U.S. average = 281.7)||33.5||45.9||52.2||51.3||34.0||65.5||40.3||54.9||26.8|
(click on a table row to update graph)
Crime rate in Science Hill detailed stats: murders, rapes, robberies, assaults, burglaries, thefts, arson
|Officers per 1,000 residents here:||2.97|
Unemployment by year (%)
- Manufacturing (23%)
- Construction (14%)
- Other services, except public administration (14%)
- Retail trade (12%)
- Health care and social assistance (9%)
- Wholesale trade (7%)
- Educational services (6%)
- Retail trade (36%)
- Health care and social assistance (21%)
- Educational services (13%)
- Accommodation and food services (10%)
- Manufacturing (5%)
- Other services, except public administration (5%)
- Public administration (4%)
- Community and social service occupations (16%)
- Construction and extraction occupations (14%)
- Production occupations (13%)
- Sales and related occupations (12%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (9%)
- Material moving occupations (8%)
- Installation, maintenance, and repair occupations (7%)
- Office and administrative support occupations (23%)
- Sales and related occupations (21%)
- Food preparation and serving related occupations (15%)
- Community and social service occupations (11%)
- Material moving occupations (8%)
- Education, training, and library occupations (5%)
- Healthcare support occupations (5%)
Average climate in Science Hill, Kentucky
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Science Hill-area historical tornado activity is near Kentucky state average. It is 16% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 4/27/1971, a category F4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 13.0 miles away from the Science Hill city center killed 2 people and injured 72 people and caused between $500,000 and $5,000,000 in damages.
On 4/3/1974, a category F4 tornado 18.5 miles away from the city center killed 10 people and injured 113 people and caused between $5000 and $50,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Science Hill-area historical earthquake activity is near Kentucky state average. It is 77% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 7/27/1980 at 18:52:21, a magnitude 5.2 (5.1 MB, 4.7 MS, 5.0 UK, 5.2 UK, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 80.7 miles away from the city center
On 4/18/2008 at 09:36:59, a magnitude 5.4 (5.1 MB, 4.8 MS, 5.4 MW, 5.2 MW, Depth: 8.9 mi) earthquake occurred 198.3 miles away from Science Hill center
On 9/7/1988 at 02:28:09, a magnitude 4.6 (4.5 MB, 4.6 LG, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 78.7 miles away from the city center
On 11/30/1973 at 07:48:41, a magnitude 4.7 (4.7 MB, 4.6 ML) earthquake occurred 102.3 miles away from the city center
On 6/18/2002 at 17:37:15, a magnitude 5.0 (4.3 MB, 4.6 MW, 5.0 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 181.3 miles away from Science Hill center
On 6/10/1987 at 23:48:54, a magnitude 5.1 (4.9 MB, 4.4 MS, 4.6 MS, 5.1 LG) earthquake occurred 210.5 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Pulaski County (13) is near the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 11
Emergencies Declared: 2
Causes of natural disasters: Tornadoes: 7, Storms: 6, Floods: 5, Mudslides: 2, Winter Storms: 2, Blizzard: 1, Freeze: 1, Hurricane: 1, Snow: 1, Snowfall: 1, Wind: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Hospitals and medical centers near Science Hill:
- INTREPID USA HEALTHCARE SERVICES (Home Health Center, about 5 miles away; SOMERSET, KY)
- HOSPICE OF LAKE CUMBERLAND (Hospital, about 6 miles away; SOMERSET, KY)
- CUMBERLAND NURSING AND REHABILITATION CENTER (Nursing Home, about 7 miles away; SOMERSET, KY)
- SOMERSET NURSING AND REHABILITATION FACILITY (Nursing Home, about 8 miles away; SOMERSET, KY)
- OAKWOOD COMMUNITY CENTER (Hospital, about 9 miles away; SOMERSET, KY)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Science Hill:
- Somerset Community College (about 9 miles; Somerset, KY; Full-time enrollment: 4,698)
- Lindsey Wilson College (about 37 miles; Columbia, KY; FT enrollment: 2,552)
- University of the Cumberlands (about 41 miles; Williamsburg, KY; FT enrollment: 3,585)
- Campbellsville University (about 41 miles; Campbellsville, KY; FT enrollment: 2,948)
- Eastern Kentucky University (about 44 miles; Richmond, KY; FT enrollment: 13,525)
- Bluegrass Community and Technical College (about 60 miles; Lexington, KY; FT enrollment: 8,560)
- University of Kentucky (about 60 miles; Lexington, KY; FT enrollment: 23,517)
Public elementary/middle school in Science Hill:
- Science Hill Elementary School (Students: 449; Location: 6007 N Hwy 27; Grades: K-8)
Notable location: Science Hill Fire Department (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Cemetery: Science Hill Cemetery (1). Display/hide its location on the map
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2012 was 63.4. This is about average.
Ozone [ppb] level in 2012 was 30.4. This is about average. Closest monitor was 5.5 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM10) [µg/m3] level in 2005 was 19.7. This is about average. Closest monitor was 5.5 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM2.5) [µg/m3] level in 2012 was 9.46. This is about average. Closest monitor was 5.5 miles away from the city center.
Drinking water stations with addresses in Science Hill and their reported violations in the past:SCIENCE HILL WATER WORKS (Population served: 5,940, Purch surface water):
Past health violations:
Past monitoring violations:
- MCL, Monthly (TCR) - In OCT-2011, Contaminant: Coliform. Follow-up actions: St Public Notif requested (DEC-12-2011), St Formal NOV issued (DEC-12-2011), St Public Notif received (JAN-24-2012), St Compliance achieved (FEB-23-2012)
- MCL, Monthly (TCR) - In APR-2010, Contaminant: Coliform. Follow-up actions: St Public Notif requested (MAY-19-2010), St Formal NOV issued (MAY-19-2010), St Public Notif received (JUN-13-2010), St Compliance achieved (SEP-07-2010)
- Monitoring of Treatment (SWTR-Filter) - In MAR-2013. Follow-up actions: St Public Notif requested (MAY-10-2013), St Formal NOV issued (MAY-10-2013), St Compliance achieved (AUG-05-2013), St Public Notif received (MAR-14-2014)
- Follow-up Or Routine LCR Tap M/R - In OCT-01-2011, Contaminant: Lead and Copper Rule. Follow-up actions: St Public Notif requested (JAN-25-2012), St Formal NOV issued (JAN-25-2012), St Compliance achieved (AUG-07-2012), St Public Notif received (MAR-14-2014)
- Monitoring of Treatment (SWTR-Filter) - In OCT-2011. Follow-up actions: St Public Notif requested (DEC-18-2011), St Formal NOV issued (DEC-18-2011), St Public Notif received (JAN-24-2012), St Compliance achieved (FEB-23-2012)
- Monitoring of Treatment (SWTR-Filter) - In SEP-2011. Follow-up actions: St Public Notif requested (DEC-18-2011), St Formal NOV issued (DEC-18-2011), St Public Notif received (JAN-24-2012), St Compliance achieved (FEB-23-2012)
- Follow-up Or Routine LCR Tap M/R - In OCT-01-2007, Contaminant: Lead and Copper Rule. Follow-up actions: St Public Notif requested (JAN-25-2010), St Formal NOV issued (JAN-25-2010), St Compliance achieved (FEB-15-2011), St Public Notif received (JUN-30-2011)
- One minor monitoring violation
- One other older monitoring violation
(38.3% for White Non-Hispanic residents, 100.0% for Black residents)
|This city:||2.5 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.0% of all households
- Gay men: 0.7% of all households
Science Hill compared to Kentucky state average:
- Median household income below state average.
- Unemployed percentage significantly below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage below state average.
- Median age below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in above state average.
- House age above state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher below state average.
Banks with branches in Science Hill (2011 data):
- FORCHT BANK, NATIONAL ASSOCIATION: Somerset - Science Hill at 105 W. Hwy 635, branch established on 2005/08/29. Info updated 2008/01/08: Bank assets: $992.1 mil, Deposits: $796.4 mil, headquarters in Lexington, KY, positive income, 34 total offices, Holding Company: Forcht Bancorp, Inc.
- The Citizens National Bank of Somerset: Science Hill Branch at 110 West Highway 635, branch established on 2001/04/02. Info updated 2006/11/03: Bank assets: $329.4 mil, Deposits: $267.4 mil, headquarters in Somerset, KY, positive income, Commercial Lending Specialization, 10 total offices, Holding Company: Citizens Bancshares, Inc.
Educational Attainment (%) in 2013
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2013
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Electricity (86%)
- Wood (10%)
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (1%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (1%)
- No fuel used (0%)
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Science Hill city (based on Pulaski County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Pulaski County:||2.83 / 10,000 pop.|
|Kentucky:||2.19 / 10,000 pop.|
|This county:||0.17 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||0.25 / 10,000 pop.|
|Pulaski County:||0.67 / 10,000 pop.|
|Kentucky:||0.74 / 10,000 pop.|
|Pulaski County:||5.16 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||4.36 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||3.83 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||5.74 / 10,000 pop.|
|Local government employment and payroll (March 2012)|
|Function||Full-time employees||Monthly full-time payroll||Average yearly full-time wage||Part-time employees||Monthly part-time payroll|
|Other Government Administration||0||$0||8||$3,220|
|Police Protection - Officers||2||$5,659||$33,954||0||$0|
|Totals for Government||4||$11,471||$34,413||17||$9,334|
4.80% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($31,331 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Wayne County, KY||0.39% ($27,037 average AGI)|
|from Fayette County, KY||0.24% ($37,294)|
|from McCreary County, KY||0.23% ($26,396)|
4.63% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($30,920 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Science Hill:
- WSFC (1240 AM; 1 kW; SOMERSET, KY; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WTLO (1480 AM; 1 kW; SOMERSET, KY; Owner: CUMBERLAND COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WKVL (850 AM; daytime; 50 kW; KNOXVILLE, TN; Owner: HORNE RADIO, LLC)
- WHAS (840 AM; 50 kW; LOUISVILLE, KY; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WKEQ (910 AM; 0 kW; BURNSIDE, KY; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WEKC (710 AM; daytime; 4 kW; WILLIAMSBURG, KY; Owner: GERALD PARKS)
- WSM (650 AM; 50 kW; NASHVILLE, TN; Owner: GAYLORD ENTERTAINMENT COMPANY)
- WKDP (1330 AM; 5 kW; CORBIN, KY; Owner: EUBANKS BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WLW (700 AM; 50 kW; CINCINNATI, OH; Owner: JACOR BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WWAM (820 AM; daytime; 50 kW; JASPER, TN; Owner: SHELTON BROADCASTING SYSTEM)
- WAMB (1160 AM; 50 kW; DONELSON, TN; Owner: GREAT SOUTHERN BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- WKDA (1200 AM; 50 kW; NASHVILLE, TN; Owner: RADIO NASHVILLE, INC.)
- WTVN (610 AM; 50 kW; COLUMBUS, OH; Owner: CITICASTERS LICENSES, L.P.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Science Hill:
- WSEK (97.1 FM; SOMERSET, KY; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WTHL (90.5 FM; SOMERSET, KY; Owner: SOMERSET EDUCATIONAL BROADCASTING FOUNDATION)
- W277AA (103.3 FM; SOMERSET, KY; Owner: WESTERN KENTUCKY UNIVERSITY)
- WKII-FM (102.3 FM; SOMERSET, KY; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WLLK (93.9 FM; BURNSIDE, KY; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WXKY-FM (96.3 FM; STANFORD, KY; Owner: LINCOLN-GARRARD BROADCASTING CO.,INC)
- WYGE (92.3 FM; LONDON, KY; Owner: ETHEL HUFF BROADCASTING, LLC)
- WMKZ (93.1 FM; MONTICELLO, KY; Owner: MONTICELLO-WAYNE COUNTY MEDIA, INC.)
- WKYM (101.7 FM; MONTICELLO, KY; Owner: STEPHEN W. STAPLES JR.)
- WEKX (102.7 FM; JELLICO, TN; Owner: WHITLEY BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- WDCL-FM (89.7 FM; SOMERSET, KY; Owner: WESTERN KENTUCKY UNIVERSITY)
- WLFX (106.7 FM; BEREA, KY; Owner: WALLINGFORD COMMUNICATIONS, LLC)
- WKDO-FM (98.7 FM; LIBERTY, KY; Owner: CARLOS D. WESLEY)
- WJRS (104.9 FM; JAMESTOWN, KY; Owner: LAKE CUMBERLAND BROADCASTERS)
- W255AO (98.9 FM; SOMERSET, KY; Owner: EDUCATIONAL MEDIA FOUNDATION)
TV broadcast stations around Science Hill:
- WKSO-TV (Channel 29; SOMERSET, KY; Owner: KENTUCKY AUTHORITY FOR EDUCATIONAL TV)
- WDKY-TV (Channel 56; DANVILLE, KY; Owner: WDKY LICENSEE, LLC)
Science Hill fatal accident list:
Aug 15, 2002 02:11 PM, Sr-635, Vehicles: 1, Persons: 1, Fatalities: 1
FCC Registered Antenna Towers:10 (See the full list of FCC Registered Antenna Towers in Science Hill)
FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers:2
- Int Hwy 1247 & Hwy 635 (Lat: 37.177028 Lon: -84.634667), Type: Tower, Structure height: 21 m, Call Sign: KNBK269, Licensee ID: L00120034
Assigned Frequencies: 453.475 MHz, 458.475 MHz
Grant Date: 09/29/2011, Expiration Date: 09/12/2021
Registrant: County Of Pulaski, Box 712, Somerset, KY 42501, Phone: (606) 679-7075
- 217 Langdon Street (Lat: 37.177250 Lon: -84.634833), Type: Pole, Structure height: 6 m, Call Sign: WPYW993
Assigned Frequencies: 173.337 MHz
Grant Date: 11/19/2003, Expiration Date: 11/19/2013, Certifier: Morris Vaughn
Registrant: Business Radio Licensing, 26941 Cabot Road 134, Laguna Hills, CA 92653, Phone: (949) 348-8510, Fax: (949) 348-8514, Email:
FCC Registered Microwave Towers:4
- Pulaski County SWYD, 1 Mi Ne Of Science Hill, Ky West Of Ky Hwy 27 (Lat: 37.188694 Lon: -84.626750), Type: Tower, Structure height: 82.3 m, Overall height: 87.8 m, Call Sign: WPXB552
Assigned Frequencies: 6594.37 MHz
Grant Date: 12/27/2012, Expiration Date: 02/26/2023, Certifier: Terry E Estes
Registrant: Utility Telecom Consulting Group, Inc., 1554 St. Paul Street, Denver, CO 80206, Phone: (303) 840-2878, Fax: (303) 840-1028, Email:
- Dabney, 952 West Coleman Road (Lat: 37.171278 Lon: -84.577472), Type: Tower, Structure height: 73.2 m, Overall height: 77.7 m, Call Sign: WQOC955
Assigned Frequencies: 19325.0 MHz, 6004.50 MHz, 11245.0 MHz, 11325.0 MHz
Grant Date: 08/17/2011, Expiration Date: 08/17/2021, Certifier: Ronald R Smith
Registrant: Lukas, Nace, Gutierrez & Sachs, LLP, 8300 Greensboro Drive, Suite 1200, Mclean, VA 22102, Phone: (703) 584-8665, Email:
- Science Hill KY, 389 Ware Road (Lat: 37.194361 Lon: -84.638389), Type: Ltower, Structure height: 76.2 m, Overall height: 85.3 m, Call Sign: WQRF504
Assigned Frequencies: 11465.0 MHz
Grant Date: 05/01/2013, Expiration Date: 05/01/2023, Certifier: Ronald R Smith
Registrant: Lukas, Nace, Gutierrez & Sachs, LLP, 8300 Greensboro Drive, Suite 1200, Mclean, VA 22102, Phone: (703) 584-8665, Fax: (703) 584-8696, Email:
- SMITH RIDGE, 1.5 Mi N Of Ky635 Fishing Cr (Lat: 37.215611 Lon: -84.699111), Overall height: 56.4 m, Call Sign: WCU258
Assigned Frequencies: 11245.0 MHz, 11285.0 MHz, 11485.0 MHz, 11525.0 MHz
Grant Date: 01/03/2001, Expiration Date: 02/01/2011, Cancellation Date: 07/13/2001
Registrant: Verizon Services Group, 1850 M Street, Nw Suite 1200, Washington, DC 20036-5801, Phone: (202) 463-5295, Email:
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses:15 (See the full list of FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses in Science Hill)
FAA Registered Aircraft:3
- Aircraft: GOSSETT WILLIAM R AVENTURA II (Category: Amphibian, Seats: 2, Weight: Up to 12,499 Pounds), Engine: ROTAX SEE BOMBADIER (Reciprocating)
N-Number: 128RG , Serial Number: AA2A0117, Year manufactured: 2004, Airworthiness Date: 07/16/2004
Registrant (Individual): William R Gossett, Po Box 44, Science Hill, KY 42553
- Aircraft: DOEBBELING STEVEN SLINGSHOT (Category: Land, Weight: Up to 12,499 Pounds), Engine: BOMBARDIER ROTAX (ALL) (Reciprocating)
N-Number: 359RC , Serial Number: 005, Year manufactured: 1998, Airworthiness Date: 10/23/1999
Registrant (Individual): Robert D Chandler, 618 Bert Ridge Rd, Science Hill, KY 42553
- Aircraft: CESSNA 150M (Category: Land, Seats: 2, Weight: Up to 12,499 Pounds, Speed: 81 mph), Engine: CONT MOTOR 0-200 SERIES (100 HP) (4 Cycle)
N-Number: 45183 , Serial Number: 15076774, Year manufactured: 1975, Airworthiness Date: 03/28/1975
Registrant (Individual): Leland Hall, , Science Hill, KY 42553
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 33
- Hazardous Condition: 4
- Good Intent Call: 2
Incident types - Science Hill
|Most common first names in Science Hill, KY among deceased individuals|
|Most common last names in Science Hill, KY among deceased individuals|
|Last name||Count||Lived (average)|
Businesses in Science Hill, KY
- Hardee's: 1
Science Hill on our top lists:
- #15 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of females in occupations: Bookkeeping, accounting, and auditing clerks"
- #37 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of males working in industry: Motor vehicle and parts dealers"
- #61 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of females working in industry: Sewing, needlework, and piece goods stores"
- #82 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of males working in industry: Nonmetallic mineral products"
- #27 on the list of "Top 101 counties with highest percentage of residents voting for Bush (Republican) in the 2004 Presidential Election, pop. 50,000+"
- #58 on the list of "Top 101 counties with the largest increase in the number of births per 1000 residents 1990-1999 to 2000-2003 (pop 50,000+)"