We are giving away $1200 in prizes - enter simply by sending us your own city pictures!
|Median resident age:||44.5 years|
|Vermont median age:||45.8 years|
Zip code: 05201
Estimated per capita income in 2016: $15,492 (it was $10,472 in 2000)
Estimated median house or condo value in 2016: $162,110 (it was $86,700 in 2000)
Mean prices in 2016: All housing units: $290,551; Detached houses: $314,468; Townhouses or other attached units: $232,754; In 2-unit structures: $309,704; In 3-to-4-unit structures: $150,980; In 5-or-more-unit structures: $232,183; Mobile homes: $54,002
Races in Searsburg, VT (2010)
- 10596.3%White alone
- 21.8%Two or more races
- 10.9%Asian alone
Latest news from Searsburg, VT collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: English (26.0%), German (18.8%), French (16.7%), Irish (13.5%), Polish (8.3%), Welsh (6.3%).
Current Local Time: EST time zone
Elevation: 1734 feet
Land area: 21.5 square miles.
Population density: 5.1 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Searsburg:
- High school or higher: 74.3%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 0.0%
- Graduate or professional degree: 0.0%
- Unemployed: 7.4%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 14.4 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Searsburg town:
- Never married: 34.0%
- Now married: 46.8%
- Separated: 0.0%
- Widowed: 12.8%
- Divorced: 6.4%
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|Searsburg town:||0.8% ($700)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Albany, NY (44.5 miles , pop. 95,658).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Boston, MA (103.2 miles , pop. 589,141).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Bronx, NY (148.8 miles , pop. 1,332,650).
Nearest cities: Wilmington, VT (2.2 miles ), Somerset, VT (2.2 miles) , Woodford, VT (2.4 miles ), Dover, VT (2.7 miles ), Readsboro, VT (2.8 miles ), Glastenbury, VT (2.9 miles) , Whitingham, VT (3.0 miles ), Jacksonville, VT (3.1 miles ).
Latitude: 42.89 N, Longitude: 72.96 W
Area code commonly used in this area: 802
Unemployment by year (%)
Average climate in Searsburg, Vermont
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Searsburg-area historical tornado activity is significantly above Vermont state average. It is 33% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 5/31/1998, a category F3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 11.3 miles away from the Searsburg town center injured 68 people and caused $71 million in damages.
On 8/20/1968, a category F3 tornado 16.8 miles away from the town center injured one person and caused between $5000 and $50,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Searsburg-area historical earthquake activity is slightly above Vermont state average. It is 89% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 10/7/1983 at 10:18:46, a magnitude 5.3 (5.1 MB, 5.3 LG, 5.1 ML, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 101.0 miles away from the city center
On 4/20/2002 at 10:50:47, a magnitude 5.2 (5.2 MB, 4.2 MS, 5.2 MW, 5.0 MW, Depth: 6.8 mi) earthquake occurred 116.8 miles away from Searsburg center
On 1/19/1982 at 00:14:42, a magnitude 4.7 (4.5 MB, 4.7 MD, 4.5 LG, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 80.7 miles away from the city center
On 6/17/1991 at 08:53:16, a magnitude 4.1 (4.0 MB, 4.0 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 88.9 miles away from the city center
On 4/20/2002 at 11:04:42, a magnitude 4.1 (4.1 LG, 3.7 ML, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 116.5 miles away from Searsburg center
On 4/20/2000 at 08:46:55, a magnitude 4.0 (4.0 LG, 3.8 ML, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 98.0 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), duration magnitude (MD), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Bennington County (12) is near the US average (13).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 10
Emergencies Declared: 2
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 6, Storms: 6, Tropical Storms: 2, Winter Storms: 2, Hurricane: 1, Landslide: 1, Snowstorm: 1, Wind: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Hospitals and medical centers near Searsburg:
- CRESCENT MANOR CARE CTRS (Nursing Home, about 12 miles away; BENNINGTON, VT)
- VERMONT VETERANS HOME (Nursing Home, about 12 miles away; BENNINGTON, VT)
- VNA AND HOSPICE OF SVHC (Home Health Center, about 13 miles away; BENNINGTON, VT)
- SOUTHWESTERN VERMONT MEDICAL CENTER Acute Care Hospitals (about 13 miles away; BENNINGTON, VT)
- BENNINGTON CONVEALESCENT CTR (Nursing Home, about 13 miles away; BENNINGTON, VT)
- BENNINGTON HEALTH AND REHAB (Nursing Home, about 13 miles away; BENNINGTON, VT)
- CENTERS FOR LIVING AND REHAB (Nursing Home, about 13 miles away; BENNINGTON, VT)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Searsburg:
- Williams College (about 18 miles; Williamstown, MA; Full-time enrollment: 2,141)
- Keene State College (about 35 miles; Keene, NH; FT enrollment: 5,098)
- Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute (about 38 miles; Troy, NY; FT enrollment: 6,940)
- The Sage Colleges (about 39 miles; Troy, NY; FT enrollment: 2,499)
- Hudson Valley Community College (about 39 miles; Troy, NY; FT enrollment: 9,346)
- University of Massachusetts-Amherst (about 42 miles; Amherst, MA; FT enrollment: 26,583)
- Siena College (about 42 miles; Loudonville, NY; FT enrollment: 3,153)
Notable location: Searsburg Town Hall (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Cemeteries: Cutler Cemetery (1), Eames Cemetery (2), Fairington Cemetery (3). Display/hide their locations on the map
Lakes and reservoirs: Billings Pond (A), Searsburg Reservoir (B). Display/hide their locations on the map
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Vose Brook (A), Redfield Brook (B), Red Mill Pond Brook (C), Pine Brook (D), Bond Brook (E), East Branch Deerfield River (F), Medbury Brook (G), Heather Brook (H). Display/hide their locations on the map
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2013 was 60.1. This is better than average.
Ozone [ppb] level in 2013 was 31.8. This is about average. Closest monitor was 5.6 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM10) [µg/m3] level in 2008 was 14.0. This is significantly better than average. Closest monitor was 11.2 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM2.5) [µg/m3] level in 2013 was 6.13. This is significantly better than average. Closest monitor was 11.2 miles away from the city center.
|This town:||2.5 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.0% of all households
- Gay men: 2.3% of all households
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Searsburg town (based on Bennington County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Bennington County:||3.85 / 10,000 pop.|
|Vermont:||3.84 / 10,000 pop.|
|Bennington County:||3.30 / 10,000 pop.|
|Vermont:||1.95 / 10,000 pop.|
|Bennington County:||5.77 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||6.40 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||16.48 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||11.52 / 10,000 pop.|
4.39% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($52,627 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Rensselaer County, NY||0.38% ($26,018 average AGI)|
|from Rutland County, VT||0.32% ($30,061)|
|from Berkshire County, MA||0.30% ($47,089)|
5.38% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($68,748 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Searsburg:
- WNNZ (640 AM; 50 kW; WESTFIELD, MA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WGY (810 AM; 50 kW; SCHENECTADY, NY; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WPTR (1540 AM; 50 kW; ALBANY, NY; Owner: KIMTRON, INC.)
- WCRN (830 AM; 50 kW; WORCESTER, MA; Owner: CARTER BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WIZZ (1520 AM; daytime; 10 kW; GREENFIELD, MA; Owner: P. & M. RADIO, LLC)
- WRKO (680 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WVNE (760 AM; daytime; 25 kW; LEICESTER, MA; Owner: BLOUNT MASSCOM, INC.)
- WTIC (1080 AM; 50 kW; HARTFORD, CT; Owner: INFINITY RADIO OPERATIONS INC.)
- WEEI (850 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WALE (990 AM; 50 kW; GREENVILLE, RI; Owner: NORTH AMERICAN BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- WKOX (1200 AM; 50 kW; FRAMINGHAM, MA; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WBIX (1060 AM; 40 kW; NATICK, MA; Owner: LANGER BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WBTN (1370 AM; 1 kW; BENNINGTON, VT; Owner: SOUTHERN VERMONT COLLEGE)
Strongest FM radio stations in Searsburg:
- WVAY (100.7 FM; WILMINGTON, VT; Owner: GREAT NORTHERN RADIO, L.L.C.)
- WEQX (102.7 FM; MANCHESTER, VT; Owner: NORTHSHIRE COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WJAN (95.1 FM; SUNDERLAND, VT; Owner: 6 JOHNSON ROAD LICENSES, INC.)
- WAMC-FM (90.3 FM; ALBANY, NY; Owner: WAMC)
- WRSY (101.5 FM; MARLBORO, VT; Owner: GREAT NORTHERN RADIO, L.L.C.)
- WZEC (97.5 FM; HOOSICK FALLS, NY; Owner: GREAT NORTHERN RADIO, LLC)
- WKVT-FM (92.7 FM; BRATTLEBORO, VT; Owner: SAGA COMMUNICATIONS OF NEW ENGLAND, LLC)
- WCMK (91.9 FM; PUTNEY, VT; Owner: CHRISTIAN MINISTRIES INC)
- WMNB (100.1 FM; NORTH ADAMS, MA; Owner: BERKSHIRE BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- WJJR (98.1 FM; RUTLAND, VT; Owner: 6 JOHNSON ROAD LICENSES, INC.)
- WZRT (97.1 FM; RUTLAND, VT; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WEBK (105.3 FM; KILLINGTON, VT; Owner: 6 JOHNSON ROAD LICENSES, INC.)
- WVPR (89.5 FM; WINDSOR, VT; Owner: VERMONT PUBLIC RADIO)
- WHDQ (106.1 FM; CLAREMONT, NH; Owner: GREAT NORTHERN RADIO, L.L.C.)
- WPVQ (95.3 FM; GREENFIELD, MA; Owner: GREAT NORTHERN RADIO, L.L.C.)
- WGLV (91.7 FM; WOODSTOCK, VT; Owner: CHRISTIAN MINISTRIES INC)
- WHDQ-FM1 (106.1 FM; RUTLAND, VT; Owner: GREAT NORTHERN RADIO, L.L.C.)
- WNGN (91.9 FM; ARGYLE, NY; Owner: NORTHEAST GOSPEL BROADCASTING INC)
- WKNE (103.7 FM; KEENE, NH; Owner: SAGA COMMUNICATIONS OF NEW ENGLAND, LLC)
- WEVN (90.7 FM; KEENE, NH; Owner: NEW HAMPSHIRE PUBLIC RADIO, INC.)
TV broadcast stations around Searsburg:
- WCDC-TV (Channel 19; ADAMS, MA; Owner: YOUNG BROADCASTING OF ALBANY, INC.)
Searsburg fatal accident list:
Jul 31, 1998 04:55 PM, Sr-Vt9, Vehicles: 2, Persons: 4, Fatalities: 1
Jul 5, 1992 12:50 AM, Vt 9, Vehicles: 2, Persons: 3, Fatalities: 1
- National Bridge Inventory (NBI) Statistics
- 6Number of bridges
- 27m89ftTotal length
- $364,000Total costs
- 18,240Total average daily traffic
- 1,820Total average daily truck traffic
- 25,540Total future (year 2018) average daily traffic
FCC Registered Commercial Land Mobile Towers:1
- 1.25 Mi Sw (Lat: 42.879722 Lon: -72.990278), Type: Tower, Structure height: 23.7 m, Call Sign: WQGX512
Assigned Frequencies: 152.480 MHzGrant Date: 05/15/2007, Expiration Date: 05/15/2017, Certifier: Kathy M PaskevichRegistrant: Jkl Communications LLC, 142 Avenue C, Williston, VT 05495, Phone: (802) 860-0000, Fax: (802) 860-5037, Email:
FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers:2
- Searsburg Hydroelectric Station (Lat: 42.870361 Lon: -72.934000), Type: Pole, Structure height: 17 m, Call Sign: KWD914
Assigned Frequencies: 154.456 MHz, 154.478 MHz, 173.337 MHzGrant Date: 09/23/1997, Expiration Date: 09/23/2002, Cancellation Date: 01/12/2003, Certifier: Melissa PuschRegistrant: Wiley Rein & Fielding LLP, 1776 K Street, N.W., Washington, DC 20006, Phone: (202) 719-7235, Fax: (202) 719-7049, Email:
- Searsburg Pipeline At Bond Brook And Vermont State Highway Route 9 (Lat: 42.881389 Lon: -72.950528), Type: Pipe, Structure height: 4.8 m, Overall height: 10 m, Call Sign: WPRA243
Assigned Frequencies: 151.970 MHzGrant Date: 05/12/2015, Expiration Date: 05/31/2025, Certifier: Christine R JohnstonRegistrant: Transcanada, 5250 Corporate Drive, Troy, MI 48098, Phone: (248) 205-4520, Fax: (248) 205-4620, Email:
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses:1
- Call Sign: KB1BRI, Licensee ID: L00624711, Grant Date: 05/15/1995, Expiration Date: 05/15/2005, Cancellation Date: 04/30/2004, Registrant: Southern Vermont Amateur Radio Club, Hcr 65 Box 10, Searsburg, VT 05363
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Hazardous Condition: 3
- Good Intent Call: 1
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (61%)
- Wood (32%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (7%)
Searsburg compared to Vermont state average:
- Median household income significantly below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Renting percentage below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
- Number of college students significantly below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher significantly below state average.