Seminole: deer in seminole 1-1-08 next to wal-mart
Seminole: Our Beautiful view of the Seminole Walking Park after a rainfall
Seminole: deer in seminole 1-1-08 next to wal-mart
Seminole: deer in seminole 1-1-08 next to wal-mart
Submit your own pictures of this city and show them to the World
|Median resident age:||31.3 years|
|Texas median age:||34.4 years|
Zip codes: 79360.
Estimated per capita income in 2015: $24,083 (it was $14,624 in 2000)
Seminole city income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2015: $102,824 (it was $44,300 in 2000)
Median gross rent in 2015: $914.
Races in Seminole, TX (2015)
- 3,67450.6%White alone
- 1792.5%Black alone
- 1051.4%Asian alone
- 570.8%Native Hawaiian and Other
Pacific Islander alone
- 440.6%Other race alone
- 210.3%Two or more races
- 170.2%American Indian alone
Recent articles from our blog. Our writers, many of them Ph.D. graduates or candidates, create easy-to-read articles on a wide variety of topics.
- The decline of the U.S. Agriculture industry visualized Apr 23
- The revenues and net sales of Samsonite Apr 21
- Crowfunding is a fast-increasing market Apr 19
- The number of jobs in Construction is falling across the U.S. Apr 17
- Higher local employment numbers lead to higher payrolls, especially in finance Apr 15
|Best and Worst City in Texas to Live in ? (316 replies)|
|Andrews or Seminole? (9 replies)|
|Houston vs. Dallas (12939 replies)|
|Are there any places in Texas with a mild to cooler climate? (35 replies)|
|Worst Small Town In Texas (133 replies)|
|SA, Last Restaurant/Place You Ate At (5047 replies)|
Latest news from Seminole, TX collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: German (9.6%), American (7.6%), English (3.8%), Irish (2.2%), Pennsylvania German (2.0%).
Current Local Time: CST time zone
Elevation: 3297 feet
Land area: 3.35 square miles.
Population density: 2,149 people per square mile(low).
For population 25 years and over in Seminole:
- High school or higher: 68.8%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 15.6%
- Graduate or professional degree: 3.9%
- Unemployed: 4.0%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 15.3 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Seminole city:
- Never married: 17.9%
- Now married: 57.0%
- Separated: 2.9%
- Widowed: 8.9%
- Divorced: 13.2%
1,006 residents are foreign born (10.1% Latin America, 1.4% North America).
According to our research of Texas and other state lists there were 33 registered sex offenders living in Seminole, Texas as of April 24, 2017.
The ratio of number of residents in Seminole to the number of sex offenders is 205 to 1.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with mortgages in 2015: $2,124 (1.8%)
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with no mortgage in 2015: $1,146 (1.2%)
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Midland, TX (58.9 miles , pop. 94,996).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: El Paso, TX (229.8 miles , pop. 563,662).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: San Antonio, TX (333.3 miles , pop. 1,144,646).
Nearest cities: Seagraves, TX (4.0 miles ), Loop, TX (4.4 miles ), Denver City, TX (4.5 miles ), Wellman, TX (5.1 miles ), North Hobbs, NM (5.3 miles ), Andrews, TX (5.3 miles ), Nadine, NM (5.3 miles ), Hobbs, NM (5.3 miles ).
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1997: 7 buildings, average cost: $130,200
- 1998: 4 buildings, average cost: $155,000
- 1999: 3 buildings, average cost: $228,300
- 2000: 1 building, cost: $250,000
- 2001: 10 buildings, average cost: $138,500
- 2002: 3 buildings, average cost: $176,700
- 2003: 4 buildings, average cost: $93,400
- 2004: 11 buildings, average cost: $94,300
- 2005: 17 buildings, average cost: $74,500
- 2006: 10 buildings, average cost: $192,900
- 2007: 10 buildings, average cost: $132,200
- 2008: 28 buildings, average cost: $143,700
- 2009: 8 buildings, average cost: $169,100
- 2010: 7 buildings, average cost: $169,100
- 2011: 16 buildings, average cost: $159,400
- 2012: 12 buildings, average cost: $160,200
- 2013: 14 buildings, average cost: $160,200
- 2014: 14 buildings, average cost: $160,200
Number of permits per 10,000 residents
Average cost (in $1000s)
Latitude: 32.72 N, Longitude: 102.65 W
Area code: 432
|Crime rates in Seminole by Year|
|City-data.com crime index (higher means more crime, U.S. average = 286.7)||173.6||131.5||148.7||67.4||94.7||142.4||99.4||92.3||101.8||83.4||55.8||105.3||128.5||62.8||72.3|
(click on a table row to update graph)
Crime rate in Seminole detailed stats: murders, rapes, robberies, assaults, burglaries, thefts, arson
|Officers per 1,000 residents here:||1.62|
Unemployment by year (%)
Historical housing units
Population change in the 1990s: -594 (-9.1%).
- Mining, quarrying, and oil and gas extraction (24%)
- Construction (19%)
- Other services, except public administration (11%)
- Manufacturing (9%)
- Administrative and support and waste management services (7%)
- Educational services (6%)
- Accommodation and food services (6%)
- Health care and social assistance (26%)
- Educational services (20%)
- Accommodation and food services (14%)
- Retail trade (13%)
- Professional, scientific, and technical services (6%)
- Other services, except public administration (5%)
- Finance and insurance (4%)
- Construction and extraction occupations (22%)
- Production occupations (20%)
- Installation, maintenance, and repair occupations (15%)
- Transportation occupations (9%)
- Management occupations (8%)
- Material moving occupations (6%)
- Education, training, and library occupations (4%)
- Office and administrative support occupations (28%)
- Education, training, and library occupations (15%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (10%)
- Healthcare support occupations (8%)
- Sales and related occupations (8%)
- Food preparation and serving related occupations (7%)
- Management occupations (6%)
Average climate in Seminole, Texas
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Seminole-area historical tornado activity is below Texas state average. It is 14% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 4/19/1969, a category F3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 1.7 miles away from the Seminole city center caused between $500 and $5000 in damages.
On 5/12/1982, a category F2 (max. wind speeds 113-157 mph) tornado 2.5 miles away from the city center injured 17 people.
Earthquake activity:Seminole-area historical earthquake activity is significantly above Texas state average. It is 15% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 4/14/1995 at 00:32:56, a magnitude 5.7 (5.6 MB, 5.7 MS, 5.7 MW, Depth: 11.1 mi, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 174.0 miles away from the city center
On 1/2/1992 at 11:45:35, a magnitude 5.0 (4.6 MB, 5.0 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 37.4 miles away from Seminole center
On 6/16/1978 at 11:46:54, a magnitude 5.3 (4.4 MB, 4.6 UK, 5.3 ML) earthquake occurred 111.5 miles away from the city center
On 12/19/2005 at 20:27:40, a magnitude 4.3 (4.3 MB, 4.1 MW, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 111.4 miles away from the city center
On 5/23/2004 at 09:22:05, a magnitude 4.0 (4.0 MB, 4.0 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 112.4 miles away from Seminole center
On 3/14/1999 at 22:43:17, a magnitude 4.0 (4.0 MD, 4.0 LG, Depth: 0.6 mi) earthquake occurred 115.6 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), duration magnitude (MD), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Gaines County (7) is smaller than the US average (13).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 3
Emergencies Declared: 4
Causes of natural disasters: Hurricanes: 3, Fires: 2, Flood: 1, Storm: 1, Tornado: 1, Wind: 1, Winter Storm: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Birthplace of: Larry Gatlin - Male singer, Bob McKay - College football player, Tanner Ogden - College basketball player (Texas Tech Red Raiders).
Hospitals and medical centers in Seminole:
airports located in Seminole:
- Gaines County Airport (GNC) (Runways: 2, Air Taxi Ops: 150, Itinerant Ops: 2,600, Local Ops: 7,800)
- Seminole Spraying Service Airport (39TE) (Runways: 2, Itinerant Ops: 200, Local Ops: 1,800)
- Hamilton Aircraft, Inc Airport (5TA0) (Runways: 1)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Seminole:
- Midland College (about 58 miles; Midland, TX; Full-time enrollment: 3,650)
- The University of Texas of the Permian Basin (about 61 miles; Odessa, TX; FT enrollment: 2,982)
- Odessa College (about 61 miles; Odessa, TX; FT enrollment: 3,107)
- South Plains College (about 62 miles; Levelland, TX; FT enrollment: 7,007)
- Texas Tech University (about 75 miles; Lubbock, TX; FT enrollment: 29,251)
- Texas Tech University Health Sciences Center (about 75 miles; Lubbock, TX; FT enrollment: 3,269)
- Howard College (about 78 miles; Big Spring, TX; FT enrollment: 2,587)
Public high schools in Seminole:
Public elementary/middle schools in Seminole:
Notable locations in Seminole: Gaines County Courthouse (A), Seminole Volunteer Fire Department (B), Seminole Emergency Medical Service (C). Display/hide their locations on the map
Churches in Seminole include: Trinity Baptist Church (A), Temple Baptist Church (B), First Baptist Church (C), First Presbyterian Church (D), Church of Christ (E). Display/hide their locations on the map
Tourist attraction: Chamber of Commerce (119 Southeast Avenue B).
(11.5% for White Non-Hispanic residents, 7.8% for Hispanic or Latino residents, 21.3% for other race residents, 23.0% for two or more races residents)
|This city:||2.8 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.2% of all households
- Gay men: 0.1% of all households
20 people in local jails and other municipal confinement facilities in 2010
68 people in nursing homes in 2000
25 people in local jails and other confinement facilities (including police lockups) in 2000
Banks with branches in Seminole (2011 data):
- First United Bank: Seminole Branch at 601 Nw Avenue B, branch established on 2000/12/04. Info updated 2007/02/12: Bank assets: $1,081.2 mil, Deposits: $962.8 mil, headquarters in Dimmitt, TX, positive income, Agricultural Specialization, 18 total offices, Holding Company: Plains Bancorp, Inc.
- West Texas National Bank: Seminole Branch at 200 Southeast Avenue B, branch established on 1984/03/16. Info updated 2006/11/03: Bank assets: $708.6 mil, Deposits: $630.4 mil, headquarters in Midland, TX, positive income, Commercial Lending Specialization, 11 total offices, Holding Company: First-West Texas Bancshares, Inc.
- Commercial State Bank: Seminole Branch at 505 North Main Street, branch established on 2006/07/17. Info updated 2008/08/25: Bank assets: $419.3 mil, Deposits: $379.7 mil, headquarters in Andrews, TX, positive income, Commercial Lending Specialization, 7 total offices, Holding Company: Andrews Holding Company
Educational Attainment (%) in 2015
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2015
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Seminole city (based on Gaines County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Gaines County:||2.70 / 10,000 pop.|
|Texas:||1.47 / 10,000 pop.|
|Gaines County:||6.08 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||3.95 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||8.10 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||6.13 / 10,000 pop.|
Health and Nutrition:
More about Health and Nutrition of Seminole, TX Residents
|Local government employment and payroll (March 2012)|
|Function||Full-time employees||Monthly full-time payroll||Average yearly full-time wage||Part-time employees||Monthly part-time payroll|
|Other Government Administration||2||$14,601||$87,606||0||$0|
|Police Protection - Officers||11||$47,413||$51,723||0||$0|
|Police - Other||2||$5,143||$30,858||0||$0|
|Streets and Highways||4||$10,450||$31,350||0||$0|
|Solid Waste Management||8||$18,854||$28,281||2||$210|
|Parks and Recreation||0||$0||2||$2,511|
|Other and Unallocable||6||$18,350||$36,700||2||$1,576|
|Totals for Government||53||$180,620||$40,895||11||$9,920|
Seminole government finances - Expenditure in 2002 (per resident):
- Current Operations - Water Utilities: $534,000 ($74.10)
Police Protection: $372,000 ($51.62)
Regular Highways: $208,000 ($28.86)
Sewerage: $202,000 ($28.03)
Health Services - Other: $174,000 ($24.15)
Solid Waste Management: $166,000 ($23.04)
Central Staff Services: $100,000 ($13.88)
Financial Administration: $80,000 ($11.10)
Fire Protection: $39,000 ($5.41)
Parks & Recreation: $36,000 ($5.00)
Judicial and Legal Services: $27,000 ($3.75)
General Public Buildings: $6,000 ($0.83)
- Total Salaries & Wages: $1,329,000 ($184.43)
Seminole government finances - Revenue in 2002 (per resident):
- Charges - Sewerage: $252,000 ($34.97)
Solid Waste Management: $136,000 ($18.87)
- Miscellaneous - Interest Earnings: $142,000 ($19.71)
Rents: $2,000 ($0.28)
- Revenue - Water Utilities: $668,000 ($92.70)
- Tax - Property: $797,000 ($110.60)
Total General Sales: $327,000 ($45.38)
Seminole government finances - Cash and Securities in 2002 (per resident):
- Other Funds - Cash & Deposits: $2,742,000 ($380.52)
6.03% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($35,599 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Lubbock County, TX||0.69% ($28,771 average AGI)|
|from Lea County, NM||0.61% ($42,516)|
|from Yoakum County, TX||0.38% ($46,842)|
5.82% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($42,669 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Seminole:
- KIKZ (1250 AM; 1 kW; SEMINOLE, TX; Owner: GAINES COUNTY ROADCASTING, LTD.)
- KHOB (1390 AM; 5 kW; HOBBS, NM; Owner: AMERICAN ASSET MANAGEMENT, INC.)
- KYKK (1110 AM; daytime; 5 kW; HUMBLE CITY, NM; Owner: NOALMARK BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- KICA (980 AM; 50 kW; CLOVIS, NM; Owner: BROADCAST ENTERTAINMENT CORPORATION)
- KINF (1020 AM; 50 kW; ROSWELL, NM; Owner: JAMES CRYSTAL HOLDINGS OF NEW MEXICO, INC.)
- KCRS (550 AM; 5 kW; MIDLAND, TX; Owner: CCB TEXAS LICENSES, L.P.)
- KMUL (1380 AM; 50 kW; MULESHOE, TX; Owner: BROADCAST ENTERTAINMENT CORPORATION)
- KFYO (790 AM; 5 kW; LUBBOCK, TX; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- KACT (1360 AM; 1 kW; ANDREWS, TX; Owner: ZIA BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- KJTV (950 AM; 5 kW; LUBBOCK, TX; Owner: RAMAR COMMUNICATIONS II, LTD.)
- KKOB (770 AM; 50 kW; ALBUQUERQUE, NM; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- KKYX (680 AM; 50 kW; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Owner: CXR HOLDINGS, INC.)
- KIJN (1060 AM; daytime; 10 kW; FARWELL, TX; Owner: METROPOLITIAN RADIO GROUP, INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Seminole:
- KSEM-FM (106.3 FM; SEMINOLE, TX; Owner: GAINES COUNTY ROADCASTING, LTD.)
- KLMA (96.5 FM; HOBBS, NM; Owner: OJEDA BROADCASTING, INC.)
TV broadcast stations around Seminole:
- K55IF (Channel 55; SEMINOLE, TX; Owner: RAMAR COMMUNICATIONS II, LTD.)
- K53GA (Channel 53; SEMINOLE, TX; Owner: RAMAR COMMUNICATIONS II, LTD.)
- KSGD-LP (Channel 49; SEMINOLE, TX; Owner: PRIME TIME CHRISTIAN B/CASTING, INC.)
- KLBK-TV (Channel 13; LUBBOCK, TX; Owner: QUORUM OF TEXAS LICENSE, LLC)
- KJTV-TV (Channel 34; LUBBOCK, TX; Owner: RAMAR COMMUNICATIONS II, LTD.)
- K27GL (Channel 27; HOBBS, NM; Owner: RAYCOM NATIONAL, INC.)
- K50GM (Channel 50; HOBBS, NM; Owner: RAYCOM NATIONAL, INC.)
- KHFT (Channel 29; HOBBS, NM; Owner: RAMAR COMMUNICATIONS II, LTD.)
- KHLC-LP (Channel 52; HOBBS, NM; Owner: PRIME TIME CHRISTIAN BROADCASTING, INC.)
- K47CF (Channel 47; HOBBS, NM; Owner: RAMAR COMMUNICATIONS II, LTD.)
Fatal road traffic accident statistics for 1975 - 2014 (per 100,000 population)
FCC Registered Antenna Towers: 187 (See the full list of FCC Registered Antenna Towers)
FCC Registered Commercial Land Mobile Towers: 5 (See the full list of FCC Registered Commercial Land Mobile Towers in Seminole, TX)
FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers: 30 (See the full list of FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers)
FCC Registered Microwave Towers: 75 (See the full list of FCC Registered Microwave Towers in this town)
FCC Registered Paging Towers: 3 (See the full list of FCC Registered Paging Towers)
FCC Registered Maritime Coast & Aviation Ground Towers: 3 (See the full list of FCC Registered Maritime Coast & Aviation Ground Towers)
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses: 34 (See the full list of FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses in Seminole)
FAA Registered Aircraft: 74 (See the full list of FAA Registered Aircraft in Seminole)
Drinking water stations with addresses in Seminole and their reported violations in the past:H & H RV PARK (Population served: 87, Groundwater):
Past monitoring violations:GAINES COUNTY PARK (Population served: 50, Groundwater):
- 2 routine major monitoring violations
Past health violations:GAINES COUNTY GOLF COURSE (Population served: 50, Groundwater):
- MCL, Single Sample - Between JUL-2014 and SEP-2014, Contaminant: Nitrate. Follow-up actions: St Violation/Reminder Notice (AUG-26-2014), St Public Notif requested (AUG-26-2014)
- MCL, Single Sample - Between APR-2014 and JUN-2014, Contaminant: Nitrate. Follow-up actions: St Public Notif requested (JUL-24-2014), St Violation/Reminder Notice (JUL-24-2014), St Public Notif received (AUG-06-2014)
- MCL, Single Sample - Between JAN-2014 and MAR-2014, Contaminant: Nitrate. Follow-up actions: St Public Notif requested (FEB-05-2014), St Violation/Reminder Notice (FEB-05-2014), St Public Notif received (FEB-19-2014)
- MCL, Single Sample - Between OCT-2013 and DEC-2013, Contaminant: Nitrate. Follow-up actions: St Public Notif requested (NOV-07-2013), St Violation/Reminder Notice (NOV-07-2013), St Public Notif received (NOV-21-2013)
- MCL, Single Sample - Between JUL-2013 and SEP-2013, Contaminant: Nitrate. Follow-up actions: St Violation/Reminder Notice (AUG-28-2013), St Public Notif requested (AUG-28-2013)
- MCL, Single Sample - Between APR-2013 and JUN-2013, Contaminant: Nitrate. Follow-up actions: St Violation/Reminder Notice (APR-22-2013), St Public Notif requested (APR-22-2013), Fed FAO issued (SEP-17-2013)
- 17 other older health violations
Past health violations:
Past monitoring violations:
- MCL, Monthly (TCR) - In DEC-2013, Contaminant: Coliform. Follow-up actions: St Public Notif received (JAN-02-2014), St Public Notif requested (JAN-21-2014), St Violation/Reminder Notice (JAN-21-2014)
- MCL, Monthly (TCR) - In AUG-2012, Contaminant: Coliform. Follow-up actions: St Violation/Reminder Notice (AUG-22-2012), St Public Notif requested (AUG-22-2012), St Public Notif received (SEP-07-2012), St Compliance achieved (OCT-01-2012)
- Monitoring, Source Water (GWR) - In OCT-01-2012, Contaminant: E. COLI. Follow-up actions: St Public Notif requested (MAY-07-2013), St Violation/Reminder Notice (MAY-07-2013), St Public Notif received (MAY-24-2013), St Compliance achieved (FEB-04-2014)
- Monitoring, Repeat Major (TCR) - In OCT-2012, Contaminant: Coliform (TCR). Follow-up actions: St Compliance achieved (NOV-01-2013)
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 3
Fire-safe hotels and motels in Seminole, Texas:
- WG Seminole Hospitality, Ltd d/b/A Wingate By Wyndham Seminole, 1103 Hobbs Hwy, Seminole, Texas 79360 , Phone: (432) 967-2763
- Best Western Plus Seminole Hotel & Suites, 308 S Main St Hwy 385, Seminole, Texas 79360 , Phone: (432) 955-6200, Fax: (432) 955-6250
|Most common first names in Seminole, TX among deceased individuals|
|Most common last names in Seminole, TX among deceased individuals|
|Last name||Count||Lived (average)|
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Utility gas (51%)
- Electricity (47%)
- No fuel used (2%)
|Businesses in Seminole, TX|
Seminole compared to Texas state average:
- Unemployed percentage significantly below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Renting percentage below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in below state average.
- House age above state average.
- Number of college students significantly below state average.
Seminole on our top lists:
- #38 on the list of "Top 101 cities with the largest city-data.com crime index increase from 2011 to 2012 (population 5,000+)"
- #54 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of males in industries: Mining, quarrying, and oil and gas extraction (population 5,000+)"
- #61 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of males in occupations: Construction and extraction occupations (population 5,000+)"
- #39 (79360) on the list of "Top 101 zip codes with the largest percentage of taxpayers reporting profit/loss from business in 2012 (pop 5,000+)"
- #64 on the list of "Top 101 counties with highest percentage of residents voting for Romney (Republican) in the 2012 Presidential Election"
Total of 5 patent applications in 2008-2017.