Shannon City, Iowa
We are giving away $1200 in prizes - enter simply by sending us your own city pictures!
|Median resident age:||35.1 years|
|Iowa median age:||38.1 years|
Zip code: 50861
Estimated per capita income in 2015: $19,039 (it was $10,554 in 2000)
Estimated median house or condo value in 2015: $36,026 (it was $15,600 in 2000)
Mean prices in 2015: All housing units: $37,750; Detached houses: $38,802; Mobile homes: $25,965
Median gross rent in 2015: $751.
Races in Shannon City, IA (2010)
- 7098.6%White alone
Latest news from Shannon City, IA collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: American (28.6%), German (19.0%), English (9.5%).
Current Local Time: CST time zone
Incorporated on 12/26/1892
Elevation: 1149 feet
Land area: 0.15 square miles.
Population density: 477 people per square mile(low).
For population 25 years and over in Shannon City:
- High school or higher: 98.0%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 12.2%
- Graduate or professional degree: 0.0%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 28.4 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Shannon City city:
- Never married: 30.2%
- Now married: 44.3%
- Separated: 3.9%
- Widowed: 7.8%
- Divorced: 13.7%
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|Shannon City city:||1.3% ($199)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Des Moines, IA (58.3 miles , pop. 198,682).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Omaha, NE (94.5 miles , pop. 390,007).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Chicago, IL (347.8 miles , pop. 2,896,016).
Nearest cities: Arispe, IA (2.0 miles) , Tingley, IA (2.2 miles) , Diagonal, IA (2.7 miles ), Ellston, IA (3.0 miles) , Afton, IA (3.1 miles ), Kent, IA (3.3 miles) , Sun Valley Lake, IA (3.3 miles) , Creston, IA (3.5 miles ).
Latitude: 40.90 N, Longitude: 94.26 W
Area code: 641
Unemployment by year (%)
- Construction (39%)
- Manufacturing (22%)
- Wholesale trade (11%)
- Retail trade (11%)
- Transportation and warehousing (11%)
- Other services, except public administration (6%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (0%)
- Manufacturing (68%)
- Wholesale trade (11%)
- Health care and social assistance (11%)
- Accommodation and food services (11%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (0%)
- Mining, quarrying, and oil and gas extraction (0%)
- Construction (0%)
- Management occupations (22%)
- Construction and extraction occupations (22%)
- Production occupations (17%)
- Material moving occupations (17%)
- Transportation occupations (11%)
- Sales and related occupations (6%)
- Installation, maintenance, and repair occupations (6%)
- Production occupations (47%)
- Office and administrative support occupations (32%)
- Health technologists and technicians (11%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (11%)
- Management occupations (0%)
- Business and financial operations occupations (0%)
- Computer and mathematical occupations (0%)
Average climate in Shannon City, Iowa
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Shannon City-area historical tornado activity is near Iowa state average. It is 86% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 4/8/1999, a category F4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 9.5 miles away from the Shannon City city center injured one person and caused $2 million in damages.
On 5/27/1995, a category F4 tornado 14.3 miles away from the city center injured 2 people and caused between $500,000 and $5,000,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Shannon City-area historical earthquake activity is near Iowa state average. It is 79% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 4/18/2008 at 09:36:59, a magnitude 5.4 (5.1 MB, 4.8 MS, 5.4 MW, 5.2 MW, Depth: 8.9 mi, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 379.3 miles away from the city center
On 7/16/2004 at 12:17:30, a magnitude 3.5 (3.5 MW, 3.3 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: II - III) earthquake occurred 69.8 miles away from Shannon City center
On 6/10/1987 at 23:48:54, a magnitude 5.1 (4.9 MB, 4.4 MS, 4.6 MS, 5.1 LG) earthquake occurred 367.8 miles away from the city center
On 9/26/1990 at 13:18:51, a magnitude 5.0 (4.7 MB, 4.8 LG, 5.0 LG, Depth: 7.7 mi) earthquake occurred 362.1 miles away from the city center
On 5/4/1991 at 01:18:54, a magnitude 5.0 (4.4 MB, 4.6 LG, 5.0 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 383.7 miles away from Shannon City center
On 2/11/1995 at 05:54:10, a magnitude 3.1 (3.1 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 45.2 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Union County (16) is greater than the US average (13).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 15
Emergencies Declared: 1
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 11, Storms: 9, Tornadoes: 4, Winter Storms: 2, Heavy Rain: 1, Hurricane: 1, Ice Storm: 1, Snow: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Hospitals and medical centers near Shannon City:
- AFTON CARE CENTER (Nursing Home, about 10 miles away; AFTON, IA)
- NURSES ON CALL (Home Health Center, about 12 miles away; CRESTON, IA)
- CREST HAVEN CARE CENTRE (Nursing Home, about 13 miles away; CRESTON, IA)
- BURLINGTON HOUSE (Hospital, about 13 miles away; CRESTON, IA)
- SUNCREST GROUP HOME (Hospital, about 13 miles away; CRESTON, IA)
- CLEARVIEW HOME (Nursing Home, about 13 miles away; MOUNT AYR, IA)
- RINGGOLD COUNTY PUBLIC HEALTH (Home Health Center, about 13 miles away; MOUNT AYR, IA)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Shannon City:
- Northwest Missouri State University (about 50 miles; Maryville, MO; Full-time enrollment: 5,946)
- Drake University (about 59 miles; Des Moines, IA; FT enrollment: 3,768)
- Des Moines Area Community College (about 66 miles; Ankeny, IA; FT enrollment: 15,337)
- Missouri Western State University (about 84 miles; Saint Joseph, MO; FT enrollment: 4,557)
- Iowa State University (about 85 miles; Ames, IA; FT enrollment: 28,662)
- Iowa Western Community College (about 85 miles; Council Bluffs, IA; FT enrollment: 5,344)
- Bellevue University (about 89 miles; Bellevue, NE; FT enrollment: 7,139)
(6.2% for White Non-Hispanic residents)
|This city:||2.0 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
No gay or lesbian households reported
Educational Attainment (%) in 2015
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2015
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Shannon City city (based on Union County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Union County:||1.65 / 10,000 pop.|
|Iowa:||2.14 / 10,000 pop.|
|Union County:||8.23 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||5.55 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||9.87 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||8.01 / 10,000 pop.|
|Local government employment and payroll (March 2012)|
|Function||Full-time employees||Monthly full-time payroll||Average yearly full-time wage||Part-time employees||Monthly part-time payroll|
|Other Government Administration||0||$0||14||$316|
|Totals for Government||0||$0||14||$316|
Shannon City government finances - Expenditure in 2002 (per resident):
- Current Operations - Regular Highways: $3,000 ($42.25)
Police Protection: $2,000 ($28.17)
General - Other: $1,000 ($14.08)
Central Staff Services: $1,000 ($14.08)
- Total Salaries & Wages: $2,000 ($28.17)
Shannon City government finances - Revenue in 2002 (per resident):
- State Intergovernmental - Highways: $6,000 ($84.51)
- Tax - Property: $2,000 ($28.17)
NEC: $1,000 ($14.08)
Shannon City government finances - Cash and Securities in 2002 (per resident):
- Other Funds - Cash & Deposits: $23,000 ($323.94)
6.18% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($27,307 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Polk County, IA||0.78% ($33,622 average AGI)|
|from Adair County, IA||0.48% ($23,391)|
|from Ringgold County, IA||0.36% ($17,824)|
6.35% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($46,119 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Shannon City:
- WHO (1040 AM; 50 kW; DES MOINES, IA; Owner: CITICASTERS LICENSES, L.P.)
- KOIL (1020 AM; 50 kW; PLATTSMOUTH, NE; Owner: WAITT RADIO, INC.)
- KFAB (1110 AM; 50 kW; OMAHA, NE; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- KSIB (1520 AM; daytime; 1 kW; CRESTON, IA; Owner: G. O. RADIO, LTD.)
- WHB (810 AM; 50 kW; KANSAS CITY, MO; Owner: UNION BROADCASTING, INC.)
- KKAR (1290 AM; 50 kW; OMAHA, NE; Owner: WAITT RADIO, INC.)
- KYDZ (1180 AM; 25 kW; BELLEVUE, NE; Owner: WAITT RADIO, INC.)
- KPSZ (940 AM; 10 kW; DES MOINES, IA; Owner: SAGA COMMUNICATIONS OF IOWA, LLC)
- KXEL (1540 AM; 50 kW; WATERLOO, IA; Owner: KXEL BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- KYFR (920 AM; 5 kW; SHENANDOAH, IA; Owner: FAMILY STATIONS, INC.)
- KBGG (1700 AM; 10 kW; DES MOINES, IA; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- KMA (960 AM; 5 kW; SHENANDOAH, IA; Owner: KMA BROADCASTING L.P.)
- KKHK (1250 AM; 25 kW; KANSAS CITY, KS)
Strongest FM radio stations in Shannon City:
- KSIB-FM (101.3 FM; CRESTON, IA; Owner: G. O. RADIO, LIMITED)
- KJJC (107.1 FM; OSCEOLA, IA; Owner: THOMAS H. BURKE, RECEIVER FOR LIFESTYLE COMMUNICATIONS CORP.)
- K203DB (88.5 FM; CRESTON, IA; Owner: CALVARY CHAPEL OF TWIN FALLS, INC.)
- KIIC (97.9 FM; LAMONI, IA; Owner: THOMAS H. BURKE, RECEIVER FOR LIFESTYLE COMMUNICATIONS CORP.)
- National Bridge Inventory (NBI) Statistics
- 8Number of bridges
- 25m82ftTotal length
- 860Total average daily traffic
- 110Total average daily truck traffic
- 1,023Total future (year 2033) average daily traffic
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (88%)
- Electricity (9%)
Shannon City compared to Iowa state average:
- Median household income below state average.
- Median house value significantly below state average.
- Unemployed percentage significantly below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Renting percentage below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in above state average.
- Number of college students significantly below state average.