We are giving away $1200 in prizes - enter simply by sending us your own city pictures!
|Median resident age:||44.2 years|
|Vermont median age:||45.8 years|
Zip codes: 05065.
Estimated per capita income in 2015: $31,568 (it was $20,824 in 2000)
Sharon town income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2015: $205,597 (it was $103,600 in 2000)
Mean prices in 2015: All housing units: $314,199; Detached houses: $333,319; Townhouses or other attached units: $317,548; In 2-unit structures: $624,457; In 3-to-4-unit structures: $216,925; In 5-or-more-unit structures: $191,681; Mobile homes: $70,516
Races in Sharon, VT (2010)
- 1,43595.5%White alone
- 181.2%Two or more races
- 130.9%Black alone
- 110.7%Asian alone
- 60.4%American Indian alone
- 10.07%Other race alone
Recent articles from our blog. Our writers, many of them Ph.D. graduates or candidates, create easy-to-read articles on a wide variety of topics.
- The fastest-growing industry sectors in the Northeast are Construction-related Apr 25
- The decline of the U.S. Agriculture industry visualized Apr 23
- The revenues and net sales of Samsonite Apr 21
- Crowfunding is a fast-increasing market Apr 19
- The number of jobs in Construction is falling across the U.S. Apr 17
|Vermont least religious again - why? (29 replies)|
|Moving to Newport Vt from NV and wanted a bit more info :) (33 replies)|
|Questions About White River Junction Area (49 replies)|
|Vermont: The most Horrible Place! (103 replies)|
|Single-payer system: will you stay or go? (79 replies)|
|VT versus NH property taxes (19 replies)|
Latest news from Sharon, VT collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: English (24.5%), Irish (16.2%), German (10.5%), French (9.7%), French Canadian (7.7%), United States (7.2%).
Current Local Time: EST time zone
Elevation: 501 feet
Land area: 39.6 square miles.
Population density: 38 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Sharon:
- High school or higher: 86.8%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 28.3%
- Graduate or professional degree: 13.0%
- Unemployed: 2.0%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 25.8 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Sharon town:
- Never married: 22.0%
- Now married: 60.3%
- Separated: 1.1%
- Widowed: 4.5%
- Divorced: 12.0%
35 residents are foreign born (1.1% Asia, 0.9% Europe, 0.3% Africa).
According to our research of Vermont and other state lists there were 2 registered sex offenders living in Sharon, Vermont as of April 25, 2017.
The ratio of number of residents in Sharon to the number of sex offenders is 664 to 1.
The number of registered sex offenders compared to the number of residents in this city is near the state average.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|Sharon town:||1.9% ($1,989)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Manchester, NH (73.9 miles , pop. 107,006).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Boston, MA (121.6 miles , pop. 589,141).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Bronx, NY (215.2 miles , pop. 1,332,650).
Nearest cities: South Royalton, VT (2.3 miles ), Royalton, VT (2.4 miles ), Pomfret, VT (2.5 miles ), Norwich, VT (2.8 miles ), Strafford, VT (2.8 miles ), Hartford, VT (2.9 miles ), Barnard, VT (2.9 miles ), Quechee, VT (3.0 miles ).
Latitude: 43.77 N, Longitude: 72.44 W
Area code commonly used in this area: 802
Unemployment by year (%)
- Construction (17%)
- Educational services (10%)
- Health care (9%)
- Professional, scientific, and technical services (6%)
- Administrative and support and waste management services (4%)
- Repair and maintenance (4%)
- U. S. Postal service (4%)
- Health care (19%)
- Educational services (14%)
- Social assistance (7%)
- Accommodation and food services (6%)
- Professional, scientific, and technical services (6%)
- U. S. Postal service (5%)
- Finance and insurance (5%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (6%)
- Construction trades workers except carpenters, electricians, painters, plumbers, and construction laborers (5%)
- Other management occupations except farmers and farm managers (5%)
- Carpenters (5%)
- Material recording, scheduling, dispatching, and distributing workers (5%)
- Driver/sales workers and truck drivers (5%)
- Sales representatives, services, wholesale and manufacturing (4%)
- Other office and administrative support workers including supervisors (10%)
- Other management occupations except farmers and farm managers (7%)
- Waiters and waitresses (5%)
- Material recording, scheduling, dispatching, and distributing workers (5%)
- Secretaries and administrative assistants (5%)
- Child care workers (4%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (4%)
Average climate in Sharon, Vermont
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Sharon-area historical tornado activity is near Vermont state average. It is 72% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 8/11/1966, a category F2 (max. wind speeds 113-157 mph) tornado 23.2 miles away from the Sharon town center caused between $50,000 and $500,000 in damages.
On 8/20/1968, a category F3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 49.9 miles away from the town center injured one person and caused between $5000 and $50,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Sharon-area historical earthquake activity is near Vermont state average. It is 89% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 10/7/1983 at 10:18:46, a magnitude 5.3 (5.1 MB, 5.3 LG, 5.1 ML, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 95.5 miles away from the city center
On 4/20/2002 at 10:50:47, a magnitude 5.2 (5.2 MB, 4.2 MS, 5.2 MW, 5.0 MW, Depth: 6.8 mi) earthquake occurred 80.2 miles away from Sharon center
On 1/19/1982 at 00:14:42, a magnitude 4.7 (4.5 MB, 4.7 MD, 4.5 LG, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 46.3 miles away from the city center
On 4/20/2002 at 11:04:42, a magnitude 4.1 (4.1 LG, 3.7 ML, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 79.3 miles away from the city center
On 6/16/1995 at 12:13:11, a magnitude 3.8 (3.8 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: II - III) earthquake occurred 44.1 miles away from Sharon center
On 4/20/2000 at 08:46:55, a magnitude 4.0 (4.0 LG, 3.8 ML, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 91.2 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), duration magnitude (MD), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Windsor County (18) is greater than the US average (13).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 16
Emergencies Declared: 2
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 12, Storms: 11, Tropical Storms: 2, Heavy Rain: 1, Hurricane: 1, Ice Storm: 1, Landslide: 1, Snowstorm: 1, Wind: 1, Winter Storm: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Hospitals and medical centers near Sharon:
- VNA AND HOSPICE OF VERMONT AND NH (Hospital, about 9 miles away; WHITE RIVER JUNCTION, VT)
- HANOVER TERRACE HEALTHCARE (Nursing Home, about 10 miles away; HANOVER, NH)
- KENDAL AT HANOVER (Nursing Home, about 10 miles away; HANOVER, NH)
- BROOKSIDE HEALTH AND REHABILITATION (Nursing Home, about 10 miles away; WHITE RIVER JUNCTION, VT)
- WHITE RIVER JCT VA MEDICAL CENTER (Hospital, Acute Care - Veterans Administration, about 11 miles away; WHITE RIVER JUNCTION, VT)
- FRESENIUS MEDICAL CARE OF LEBANON (Dialysis Facility, about 13 miles away; LEBANON, NH)
- GIFFORD MEDICAL CENTER Critical Access Hospitals (about 15 miles away; RANDOLPH, VT)
Amtrak stations near Sharon:
- 11 miles: WHITE RIVER JUNCTION (RAILROAD ROW) . Services: ticket office, fully wheelchair accessible, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, free short-term parking, paid long-term parking, call for car rental service, call for taxi service, public transit connection.
- 16 miles: RANDOLPH (DEPOT SQ.) . Services: enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, snack bar, ATM, free short-term parking, free long-term parking, public transit connection.
- 20 miles: KILLINGTON (RTE 4) - Seasonal Bus Station . Services: fully wheelchair accessible, enclosed waiting area, public payphones, snack bar, free short-term parking, call for car rental service, call for taxi service, public transit connection.
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Sharon:
- Dartmouth College (about 10 miles; Hanover, NH; Full-time enrollment: 6,030)
- Norwich University (about 28 miles; Northfield, VT; FT enrollment: 4,221)
- Plymouth State University (about 38 miles; Plymouth, NH; FT enrollment: 4,838)
- Castleton State College (about 39 miles; Castleton, VT; FT enrollment: 2,079)
- Middlebury College (about 40 miles; Middlebury, VT; FT enrollment: 3,077)
- Keene State College (about 60 miles; Keene, NH; FT enrollment: 5,098)
- NHTI-Concord's Community College (about 60 miles; Concord, NH; FT enrollment: 2,865)
Private high school in Sharon:
Public elementary/middle school in Sharon:
- SHARON ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 125, Location: 75 VT ROUTE 132, Grades: PK-6)
Notable locations in Sharon: Downer 4-H Camp (A), Sharon Volunteer Firemen's Association, Incorporated (B). Display/hide their locations on the map
Church in Sharon: Sharon Congregational Church (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Cemeteries: Babcock Cemetery (1), Village-Pine Hill Cemetery (2), Broad Brook Cemetery (3). Display/hide their locations on the map
Lakes and reservoirs: Standing Pond (A), Crescent Lake (B), Mitchell Pond (C), C C C Pond (D). Display/hide their locations on the map
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Quation Brook (A), Mitchell Brook (B), High Pole Branch (C), Elmers Brook (D), Fay Brook (E), Whitewater Brook (F), Broad Brook (G). Display/hide their locations on the map
Park in Sharon: White River Wildlife Management Area (1). Display/hide its location on the map
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2013 was 63.3. This is about average.
Ozone [ppb] level in 2013 was 25.1. This is better than average. Closest monitor was 10.6 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM2.5) [µg/m3] level in 2013 was 6.16. This is significantly better than average. Closest monitor was 12.0 miles away from the city center.
|This town:||2.4 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.8% of all households
- Gay men: 0.2% of all households
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Sharon town (based on Windsor County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Windsor County:||4.93 / 10,000 pop.|
|Vermont:||3.84 / 10,000 pop.|
|Windsor County:||1.23 / 10,000 pop.|
|Vermont:||1.95 / 10,000 pop.|
|Windsor County:||7.93 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||6.40 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||14.97 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||11.52 / 10,000 pop.|
6.56% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($37,572 average adjusted gross income)
0.04% of residents moved from foreign countries ($152 average AGI)
Windsor County: 0.04% Vermont average: 0.04%
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Grafton County, NH||0.89% ($41,380 average AGI)|
|from Orange County, VT||0.55% ($27,801)|
|from Sullivan County, NH||0.43% ($29,991)|
6.58% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($41,378 average adjusted gross income)
0.05% of residents moved to foreign countries ($457 average AGI)
Windsor County: 0.05% Vermont average: 0.06%
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Sharon:
- WNTK (1020 AM; 10 kW; NEWPORT, NH; Owner: KOOR COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WNHV (910 AM; 1 kW; WHITE RIVER JUNCTION, VT)
- WDCR (1340 AM; 1 kW; HANOVER, NH; Owner: TRUSTEES OF DARTMOUTH COLLEGE)
- WTSL (1400 AM; 1 kW; HANOVER, NH; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WRKO (680 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WNNZ (640 AM; 50 kW; WESTFIELD, MA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WGY (810 AM; 50 kW; SCHENECTADY, NY; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WCRN (830 AM; 50 kW; WORCESTER, MA; Owner: CARTER BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WCHP (760 AM; 35 kW; CHAMPLAIN, NY; Owner: CHAMPLAIN RADIO, INC.)
- WDEV (550 AM; 5 kW; WATERBURY, VT; Owner: RADIO VERMONT, INC.)
- WTWN (1100 AM; daytime; 5 kW; WELLS RIVER, VT; Owner: PUFFER BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WSYB (1380 AM; 5 kW; RUTLAND, VT; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WEEI (850 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
Strongest FM radio stations in Sharon:
- WRJT (103.1 FM; ROYALTON, VT; Owner: LISBON COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WEBK (105.3 FM; KILLINGTON, VT; Owner: 6 JOHNSON ROAD LICENSES, INC.)
- WJJR (98.1 FM; RUTLAND, VT; Owner: 6 JOHNSON ROAD LICENSES, INC.)
- WZRT (97.1 FM; RUTLAND, VT; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WGLV (91.7 FM; WOODSTOCK, VT; Owner: CHRISTIAN MINISTRIES INC)
- WHDQ-FM1 (106.1 FM; RUTLAND, VT; Owner: GREAT NORTHERN RADIO, L.L.C.)
- WEVH (91.3 FM; HANOVER, NH; Owner: NEW HAMPSHIRE PUBLIC RADIO INC)
- WVPR (89.5 FM; WINDSOR, VT; Owner: VERMONT PUBLIC RADIO)
- WXXK (100.5 FM; LEBANON, NH; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WHDQ (106.1 FM; CLAREMONT, NH; Owner: GREAT NORTHERN RADIO, L.L.C.)
- WMXR (93.9 FM; WOODSTOCK, VT; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WWOD (104.3 FM; HARTFORD, VT; Owner: FAMILY BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WDEV-FM (96.1 FM; WARREN, VT; Owner: RADIO VERMONT, INC.)
- W232AP (94.3 FM; WHITE RIVER JUNCTION, VT; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WJEN (94.5 FM; RUTLAND, VT; Owner: 6 JOHNSON ROAD LICENSES, INC.)
- WCVT (101.7 FM; STOWE, VT; Owner: RADIO VERMONT CLASSICS, L.L.C.)
- WPKQ (103.7 FM; NORTH CONWAY, NH; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WHOM (94.9 FM; MT. WASHINGTON, NH; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WVRR (101.7 FM; NEWPORT, NH; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WGXL (92.3 FM; HANOVER, NH; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
TV broadcast stations around Sharon:
- W15BK (Channel 15; HANOVER, NH; Owner: UNIVERSITY OF NEW HAMPSHIRE)
- WVTA (Channel 41; WINDSOR, VT; Owner: VERMONT ETV, INC.)
- WNNE (Channel 31; HARTFORD, VT; Owner: HEARST-ARGYLE STATIONS, INC.)
- Sharon, Vermont
- Fatal accident count9
- Vehicles involved in fatal accidents12
- Fatal accidents involving drunken persons:2
- Persons involved in fatal accidents19
- Pedestrians involved in fatal accidents0
- Vermont average
- Fatal accident count54
- Vehicles involved in fatal accidents75
- Fatal accidents involving drunken persons23
- Persons involved in fatal accidents132
- Pedestrians involved in fatal accidents3
- National Bridge Inventory (NBI) Statistics
- 21Number of bridges
- 185m607ftTotal length
- $21,360,000Total costs
- 92,140Total average daily traffic
- 10,893Total average daily truck traffic
New bridges - Historical Statistics
FCC Registered Cell Phone Towers:2 (See the full list of FCC Registered Cell Phone Towers in Sharon)
FCC Registered Antenna Towers:16 (See the full list of FCC Registered Antenna Towers)
FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers:1
- Beaver Meadow Rd (Lat: 43.774500 Lon: -72.398139), Type: Tower, Structure height: 43 m, Call Sign: WPMV392
Assigned Frequencies: 462.475 MHz, 462.475 MHzGrant Date: 01/07/2004, Expiration Date: 01/25/2014, Cancellation Date: 03/25/2005, Certifier: Michael R ComiskeyRegistrant: U S Sprit Communications Co LP, 45 Adrian Court Ms-Caburb0101, Burlingame, CA 94010, Fax: (415) 375-4598
FCC Registered Microwave Towers:2
- Sharon-01, Beaver Meadow Rd (Lat: 43.774444 Lon: -72.398056), Type: Ltower, Structure height: 43 m, Call Sign: WQUR479
Assigned Frequencies: 11305.0 MHz, 11345.0 MHz, 11305.0 MHz, 11345.0 MHz, 11305.0 MHz, 11345.0 MHz, 11305.0 MHz, 11345.0 MHz, 11305.0 MHz, 11345.0 MHz, 11305.0 MHz, 11345.0 MHzGrant Date: 09/18/2014, Expiration Date: 09/18/2024, Certifier: Fran StockerRegistrant: Radyn, Inc, Silver Spring, MD 20914, Phone: (301) 493-5171, Fax: (301) 576-4553, Email:
- 4LN0722A, 800 Baxter Mountain Road (Lat: 43.792389 Lon: -72.455611), Type: Ltower, Structure height: 45.7 m, Call Sign: WQWW735
Assigned Frequencies: 10895.0 MHz, 10895.0 MHz, 10895.0 MHz, 10895.0 MHz, 10895.0 MHz, 10895.0 MHz, 10895.0 MHz, 10895.0 MHzGrant Date: 12/10/2015, Expiration Date: 12/10/2025, Certifier: David WerblowRegistrant: T-Mobile Usa, Inc., 12920 Se 38th Street, Bellevue, WA 98006, Phone: (425) 383-8401, Fax: (425) 383-4040, Email:
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses:8 (See the full list of FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses in Sharon)
FAA Registered Aircraft:1
- Aircraft: KEHOE JAMES R STOL CH701 (Category: Land, Seats: 2, Weight: Up to 12,499 Pounds), Engine: ROTAX 912ULS (100 HP) (Reciprocating)
N-Number: 701VT , Serial Number: 7-4568, Year manufactured: 2006, Airworthiness Date: 08/05/2009
Registrant (Individual): James R Kehoe, Po Box 43, Sharon, VT 05065
Drinking water stations with addresses in Sharon and their reported violations in the past:SHARON ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Address: 75 VT RTE 132 , Population served: 150, Groundwater):
Past health violations:SHARON ACADEMY (Population served: 142, Groundwater):
- MCL, Monthly (TCR) - In AUG-2012, Contaminant: Coliform. Follow-up actions: St Tech Assistance Visit (AUG-24-2012), St Formal NOV issued (AUG-24-2012), St Public Notif requested (AUG-24-2012), St Boil Water Order (AUG-24-2012), St Compliance achieved (AUG-31-2012)
Past health violations:SANDYS DRIVE IN (Population served: 30, Groundwater):
- MCL, Monthly (TCR) - In NOV-2006, Contaminant: Coliform. Follow-up actions: St Tech Assistance Visit (NOV-17-2006), St Formal NOV issued (NOV-17-2006), St Boil Water Order (NOV-17-2006), St Public Notif requested (NOV-17-2006), St Public Notif received (NOV-21-2006), St Compliance achieved (MAR-23-2007)
Past monitoring violations:
- 6 routine major monitoring violations
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 4
- Hazardous Condition: 1
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (55%)
- Wood (22%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (21%)
- Electricity (2%)
Businesses in Sharon, VT
- FedEx: 1
Sharon compared to Vermont state average:
- Unemployed percentage significantly below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
Total of 5 patent applications in 2008-2017.