|Median resident age:||48.2 years|
|Massachusetts median age:||39.2 years|
Zip codes: 01370.
Shelburne town income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2012: $252,352 (it was $141,700 in 2000)
- White alone - 1,807 (95.5%)
- Two or more races - 40 (2.1%)
- Asian alone - 23 (1.2%)
- Black alone - 10 (0.5%)
- Hispanic - 10 (0.5%)
- American Indian alone - 3 (0.2%)
|Does the Worcester area feel Boston oriented? (69 replies)|
|Heroin problem in Massachusetts and Anthony Bourdain's spotlight on it (45 replies)|
|Are there any cities worth living in other than Boston? (32 replies)|
|What's the dirt on Northampton, Hadley, Amherst and vicinity? (50 replies)|
|Shelburne Falls (27 replies)|
|Actual bookstores in Massachusetts (27 replies)|
Latest news from Shelburne, MA collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: English (24.5%), Irish (17.2%), German (11.3%), Polish (8.2%), Italian (7.2%), French (6.4%).
Current Local Time: EST time zone
Incorporated in 1775
Elevation: 560 feet
Land area: 23.3 square miles.
Population density: 81 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Shelburne:
- High school or higher: 93.3%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 37.0%
- Graduate or professional degree: 14.7%
- Unemployed: 4.6%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 22.1 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Shelburne town:
- Never married: 24.6%
- Now married: 56.4%
- Separated: 1.8%
- Widowed: 6.8%
- Divorced: 10.4%
85 residents are foreign born (2.0% Europe, 1.1% North America, 1.0% Asia).
According to our research of Massachusetts and other state lists there was 1 registered sex offender living in Shelburne, Massachusetts as of February 28, 2015.
The ratio of number of residents in Shelburne to the number of sex offenders is 2,031 to 1.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|Shelburne town:||1.2% ($1,717)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Chicopee, MA (30.4 miles , pop. 54,653).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Boston, MA (84.0 miles , pop. 589,141).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Bronx, NY (136.0 miles , pop. 1,332,650).
Nearest cities: Shelburne Falls, MA (1.6 miles ), Buckland, MA (2.1 miles ), Greenfield, MA (2.2 miles ), Greenfield Town, MA (2.2 miles ), Colrain, MA (2.3 miles ), Conway, MA (2.6 miles ), Turners Falls, MA (2.6 miles ), Deerfield, MA (2.7 miles ).
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1997: 5 buildings, average cost: $121,200
- 1998: 3 buildings, average cost: $122,000
- 1999: 8 buildings, average cost: $122,900
- 2000: 8 buildings, average cost: $172,500
- 2001: 4 buildings, average cost: $121,300
- 2002: 3 buildings, average cost: $143,000
- 2003: 3 buildings, average cost: $166,600
- 2004: 1 building, cost: $202,300
- 2005: 5 buildings, average cost: $159,300
- 2006: 3 buildings, average cost: $236,300
- 2007: 2 buildings, average cost: $220,600
- 2008: 1 building, cost: $202,700
- 2009: 1 building, cost: $365,400
- 2011: 5 buildings, average cost: $218,500
- 2012: 1 building, cost: $137,500
Number of permits per 10,000 residents
Average cost (in $1000s)
Latitude: 42.60 N, Longitude: 72.69 W
Area code commonly used in this area: 413
|Crime rates in Shelburne by Year|
|City-data.com crime rate (higher means more crime, U.S. average = 298.0)||67.1||22.9||26.8||31.6||31.8||79.3||54.6|
(click on a table row to update graph)
Crime rate in Shelburne detailed stats: murders, rapes, robberies, assaults, burglaries, thefts, arson
|Officers per 1,000 residents here:||1.05|
Unemployment by year (%)
- Educational services (15%)
- Construction (10%)
- Metal and metal products (6%)
- Public administration (6%)
- Used merchandise, gift, novelty, and souvenir, and other miscellaneous stores (5%)
- Health care (4%)
- Arts, entertainment, and recreation (4%)
- Educational services (23%)
- Health care (18%)
- Public administration (6%)
- Accommodation and food services (5%)
- Used merchandise, gift, novelty, and souvenir, and other miscellaneous stores (5%)
- Utilities (5%)
- Food and beverage stores (4%)
- Other sales and related workers including supervisors (7%)
- Electrical equipment mechanics and other installation, maintenance, and repair occupations including supervisors (7%)
- Other management occupations except farmers and farm managers (6%)
- Carpenters (4%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (4%)
- Retail sales workers except cashiers (4%)
- Metal workers and plastic workers (4%)
- Registered nurses (7%)
- Retail sales workers except cashiers (6%)
- Secondary school teachers (5%)
- Other management occupations except farmers and farm managers (5%)
- Secretaries and administrative assistants (5%)
- Other sales and related workers including supervisors (5%)
- Preschool, kindergarten, elementary and middle school teachers (4%)
Average climate in Shelburne, Massachusetts
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Shelburne-area historical tornado activity is slightly above Massachusetts state average. It is 15% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 6/9/1953, a category F4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 28.0 miles away from the Shelburne town center killed 90 people and injured 1228 people and caused between $50,000,000 and $500,000,000 in damages.
On 10/3/1979, a category F4 tornado 38.3 miles away from the town center killed 3 people and injured 500 people and caused between $50,000,000 and $500,000,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Shelburne-area historical earthquake activity is near Massachusetts state average. It is 89% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 10/7/1983 at 10:18:46, a magnitude 5.3 (5.1 MB, 5.3 LG, 5.1 ML, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 125.1 miles away from the city center
On 4/20/2002 at 10:50:47, a magnitude 5.2 (5.2 MB, 4.2 MS, 5.2 MW, 5.0 MW, Depth: 6.8 mi) earthquake occurred 140.1 miles away from Shelburne center
On 1/19/1982 at 00:14:42, a magnitude 4.7 (4.5 MB, 4.7 MD, 4.5 LG, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 82.9 miles away from the city center
On 6/17/1991 at 08:53:16, a magnitude 4.1 (4.0 MB, 4.0 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 101.2 miles away from the city center
On 10/2/1994 at 11:27:22, a magnitude 3.7 (3.5 LG, 3.7 LG, Depth: 6.2 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: II - III) earthquake occurred 27.5 miles away from Shelburne center
On 1/16/1994 at 01:49:16, a magnitude 4.6 (4.6 MB, 4.6 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 234.1 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), duration magnitude (MD), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Franklin County (13) is near the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 6
Emergencies Declared: 7
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 4, Storms: 3, Blizzards: 2, Hurricanes: 2, Snows: 2, Snowstorms: 2, Winter Storms: 2, Snowfall: 1, Wind: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Hospitals and medical centers in Shelburne:
Other hospitals and medical centers near Shelburne:
- CHARLENE MANOR EXTENDED CARE FACILITY (Nursing Home, about 4 miles away; GREENFIELD, MA)
- BUCKLEY-GREENFIELD HEALTHCARE CENTER (Nursing Home, about 4 miles away; GREENFIELD, MA)
- HOSPICE OF FRANKLIN COUNTY, INC (Hospital, about 4 miles away; GREENFIELD, MA)
- FRANKLIN CENTER (Nursing Home, about 4 miles away; GREENFIELD, MA)
- HOME CARE PRN INC (Home Health Center, about 5 miles away; GREENFIELD, MA)
- GENTIVA HEALTH SERVICES (Home Health Center, about 5 miles away; GREENFIELD, MA)
- BAYSTATE FRANKLIN MEDICAL CENTER Acute Care Hospitals (about 6 miles away; GREENFIELD, MA)
Amtrak stations near Shelburne:
- 18 miles: BRATTLEBORO (VERNON RD.) . Services: enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, call for car rental service, call for taxi service.
- 19 miles: AMHERST (RAILROAD ST.) . Services: enclosed waiting area, public payphones, free short-term parking, paid long-term parking, call for car rental service, call for taxi service, public transit connection.
Operable nuclear power plant near Shelburne:
- 15 miles: Vermont Yankee in Vernon, VT.
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Shelburne:
- University of Massachusetts-Amherst (about 18 miles; Amherst, MA; Full-time enrollment: 26,583)
- Smith College (about 20 miles; Northampton, MA; FT enrollment: 3,549)
- Mount Holyoke College (about 25 miles; South Hadley, MA; FT enrollment: 2,573)
- Williams College (about 28 miles; Williamstown, MA; FT enrollment: 2,141)
- Holyoke Community College (about 29 miles; Holyoke, MA; FT enrollment: 4,911)
- Keene State College (about 31 miles; Keene, NH; FT enrollment: 5,098)
- Westfield State University (about 34 miles; Westfield, MA; FT enrollment: 5,548)
Notable locations in Shelburne: Apex Orchard (A), Camp Apex (B), Springbrook Campground (C), Shelburne Fire Department Station 1 Headquarters (D), Arms Library Association Library (E). Display/hide their locations on the map
Church in Shelburne: Trinity Church (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Cemeteries: South Cemetery (1), Hawks Cemetery (2), Hill Cemetery (3), Skinner Cemetery (4), Shelburne Center Cemetery (5), Jones Cemetery (6), Arms Cemetery (7). Display/hide their locations on the map
Reservoirs: Deerfield River Reservoir (A), Number 3 Forebay Reservoir (B), Albert Davenport Pond (C). Display/hide their locations on the map
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Hawkes Brook (A), Great Brook (B), Dragon Brook (C), Bear River (D), Sluice Brook (E), Schneck Brook (F), Stewart Brook (G), North River (H). Display/hide their locations on the map
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2012 was 89.7. This is worse than average.
Ozone [ppb] level in 2012 was 29.5. This is about average. Closest monitor was 5.2 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM10) [µg/m3] level in 2008 was 14.0. This is significantly better than average. Closest monitor was 18.7 miles away from the city center.
Drinking water stations with addresses in Shelburne and their reported violations in the past:DRAGON HILL CONDOMINIUMS (Population served: 30, Groundwater):
Past health violations:
- MCL, Monthly (TCR) - In SEP-2011, Contaminant: Coliform. Follow-up actions: St AO (w/o penalty) issued (OCT-05-2011)
|This town:||2.2 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.8% of all households
- Gay men: 0.6% of all households
Residents with income below the poverty level in 2009:
Residents with income below 50% of the poverty level in 2009:
22 people in group homes intended for adults in 2010
75 people in nursing homes in 2000
53 people in homes or halfway houses for drug/alcohol abuse in 2000
Shelburne compared to Massachusetts state average:
- Median house value significantly below state average.
- Unemployed percentage below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age significantly above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
- Number of college students below state average.
Banks with branches in Shelburne (2011 data):
- Greenfield Savings Bank: Shelburne Falls Branch at 58 Bridge Street, branch established on 1988/06/06. Info updated 2006/10/11: Bank assets: $640.0 mil, Deposits: $458.2 mil, headquarters in Greenfield, MA, positive income, Mortgage Lending Specialization, 6 total offices, Holding Company: Gsb, Mhc
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (70%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (12%)
- Electricity (10%)
- Wood (8%)
- Other fuel (1%)
Religion statistics for Shelburne town (based on Franklin County data)Percentage of population affiliated with a religious congregations: 72.03%
Breakdown of population affiliated with a religious congregations
|Name||Catholic Church||United Church of Christ||Jewish||American Baptist Churches in the USA||United Methodist Church|
|Name||Episcopal Church||Christian and Missionary Alliance||Evangelical Lutheran Church in America||Assemblies of God||Other|
Tables represent county-level data.
Food Environment Statistics:
|Franklin County:||3.63 / 10,000 pop.|
|Massachusetts:||1.98 / 10,000 pop.|
|This county:||0.14 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||0.05 / 10,000 pop.|
|Franklin County:||1.67 / 10,000 pop.|
|Massachusetts:||2.22 / 10,000 pop.|
|Franklin County:||3.21 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||1.77 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||8.10 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||8.76 / 10,000 pop.|
6.07% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($34,154 average adjusted gross income)
0.03% of residents moved from foreign countries ($130 average AGI)
Franklin County: 0.03% Massachusetts average: 0.06%
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Hampshire County, MA||1.74% ($33,774 average AGI)|
|from Worcester County, MA||0.81% ($33,513)|
|from Hampden County, MA||0.42% ($30,770)|
5.95% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($34,267 average adjusted gross income)
0.05% of residents moved to foreign countries ($160 average AGI)
Franklin County: 0.05% Massachusetts average: 0.11%
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Shelburne:
- WIZZ (1520 AM; daytime; 10 kW; GREENFIELD, MA; Owner: P. & M. RADIO, LLC)
- WNNZ (640 AM; 50 kW; WESTFIELD, MA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WHMQ (1240 AM; 1 kW; GREENFIELD, MA; Owner: SAGA COMMUNICATIONS OF NEW ENGLAND, LLC)
- WCRN (830 AM; 50 kW; WORCESTER, MA; Owner: CARTER BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WVNE (760 AM; daytime; 25 kW; LEICESTER, MA; Owner: BLOUNT MASSCOM, INC.)
- WTIC (1080 AM; 50 kW; HARTFORD, CT; Owner: INFINITY RADIO OPERATIONS INC.)
- WGY (810 AM; 50 kW; SCHENECTADY, NY; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WRKO (680 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WHYN (560 AM; 5 kW; SPRINGFIELD, MA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WEEI (850 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WALE (990 AM; 50 kW; GREENVILLE, RI; Owner: NORTH AMERICAN BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- WPTR (1540 AM; 50 kW; ALBANY, NY; Owner: KIMTRON, INC.)
- WKOX (1200 AM; 50 kW; FRAMINGHAM, MA; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
Strongest FM radio stations in Shelburne:
- WRSI (93.9 FM; TURNERS FALLS, MA; Owner: GREAT NORTHERN RADIO, LLC)
- WHAI (98.3 FM; GREENFIELD, MA; Owner: SAGA COMMUNICATIONS OF NEW ENGLAND, LLC)
- WPVQ (95.3 FM; GREENFIELD, MA; Owner: GREAT NORTHERN RADIO, L.L.C.)
- WAMC-FM (90.3 FM; ALBANY, NY; Owner: WAMC)
- WGAJ (91.7 FM; DEERFIELD, MA; Owner: TRUATEES OF DEERFIELD ACADEMY)
- WVAY (100.7 FM; WILMINGTON, VT; Owner: GREAT NORTHERN RADIO, L.L.C.)
- WRSY (101.5 FM; MARLBORO, VT; Owner: GREAT NORTHERN RADIO, L.L.C.)
- WFCR (88.5 FM; AMHERST, MA; Owner: UNIVERSITY OF MASSACHUSETTS)
- WEQX (102.7 FM; MANCHESTER, VT; Owner: NORTHSHIRE COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WYRY (104.9 FM; HINSDALE, NH; Owner: TRI-VALLEY BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WJAN (95.1 FM; SUNDERLAND, VT; Owner: 6 JOHNSON ROAD LICENSES, INC.)
- WHYN-FM (93.1 FM; SPRINGFIELD, MA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WRNX (100.9 FM; AMHERST, MA; Owner: WESTERN MASSACHUSETTS RADIO COMPANY)
- WAMH (89.3 FM; AMHERST, MA; Owner: TRUSTEES OF AMHERST COLLEGE)
- WKVT-FM (92.7 FM; BRATTLEBORO, VT; Owner: SAGA COMMUNICATIONS OF NEW ENGLAND, LLC)
- WLZX (99.3 FM; NORTHAMPTON, MA; Owner: SAGA COMMUNICATIONS OF NEW ENGLAND, LLC)
- WOQL (98.7 FM; WINCHESTER, NH; Owner: SAGA COMMUNICATIONS OF NEW HAMPSHIRE, LLC)
- WHDQ (106.1 FM; CLAREMONT, NH; Owner: GREAT NORTHERN RADIO, L.L.C.)
- W246AM (97.1 FM; AMHERST, MA; Owner: GREAT NORTHERN RADIO, LLC)
- WCMK (91.9 FM; PUTNEY, VT; Owner: CHRISTIAN MINISTRIES INC)
TV broadcast stations around Shelburne:
- WYDN (Channel 48; WORCESTER, MA; Owner: EDUCATIONAL PUBLIC TV CORPORATION)
- W35BK (Channel 35; PLAINFIELD, MA; Owner: LYDIA SYLVANE STOCKWELL)
Total length: 3 meters (10ft)
Total costs: $1,835,000
Total average daily traffic: 900
Total average daily truck traffic: 40
Total future (year 2031) average daily traffic: 1,422
FCC Registered Cell Phone Towers:1
- 100 Guy Manner Road (Lat: 42.571111 Lon: -72.644556), Type: Gtower, Structure height: 46.6 m, Overall height: 51.2 m, Call Sign: KNKN769
Assigned Frequencies: 880.020 MHz, 880.020 MHz, 880.020 MHz, 835.020 MHz, 835.020 MHz, 835.020 MHz, 891.510 MHz, 891.510 MHz, 891.510 MHz, 846.510 MHz, 846.510 MHz, 846.510 MHz
Grant Date: 08/30/2011, Expiration Date: 10/01/2021, Certifier: David C Jatlow
Registrant: At&t Mobility LLC, 1120 20th Street, Nw - Suite 1000, Washington, DC 20036, Phone: (202) 457-2055, Fax: (202) 457-3073, Email:
FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers:10 (See the full list of FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers in Shelburne, MA)
FCC Registered Broadcast Land Mobile Towers:2 (See the full list of FCC Registered Broadcast Land Mobile Towers)
FCC Registered Microwave Towers:11 (See the full list of FCC Registered Microwave Towers in this town)
FCC Registered Paging Towers:5 (See the full list of FCC Registered Paging Towers)
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses:1
- Call Sign: KA1SZD
Grant Date: 08/17/1998, Expiration Date: 08/17/2008, Cancellation Date: 08/18/2010
Registrant: Robert L Nichols, Box 152b Bardwells Ferry Rd, Shelburne, MA 01370
FAA Registered Aircraft:1
- Aircraft: CESSNA 172M (Category: Land, Seats: 4, Weight: Up to 12,499 Pounds, Speed: 108 mph), Engine: LYCOMING 0-320 SERIES (180 HP) (4 Cycle)
N-Number: 91553 , Serial Number: 17261500, Year manufactured: 1973, Airworthiness Date: 03/12/1973
Registrant (Individual): Randolph L Simpson, Frank Williams Rd, Shelburne, MA 01370
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 8
- Hazardous Condition: 12
- Service Call: 1
- Good Intent Call: 2
Incident types - Shelburne