We are giving away $1200 in prizes - enter simply by sending us your own city pictures!
- OSM Map
- General Map
- Google Map
- MSN Map
- OSM Map
- General Map
- Google Map
- MSN Map
- OSM Map
- General Map
- Google Map
- MSN Map
- OSM Map
- General Map
- Google Map
- MSN Map
Please wait while loading the map...
|Median resident age:||40.7 years|
|Texas median age:||32.3 years|
Zip code: 75973
Estimated per capita income in 2013: $23,030 (it was $16,361 in 2000)
Shelbyville CCD income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2013: $74,911 (it was $50,800 in 2000)
Races in Shelbyville, TX (2000)
- 2,30070.3%White alone
- 81024.8%Black alone
- 100.3%Two or more races
- 50.2%American Indian alone
- 70.2%Asian alone
- 50.2%Other race alone
Current Local Time: CST time zone
Elevation: 292 feet
Land area: 216.6 square miles.
Population density: 16 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Shelbyville:
- High school or higher: 70.8%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 10.7%
- Graduate or professional degree: 3.2%
- Unemployed: 3.3%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 32.8 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Shelbyville CCD:
- Never married: 16.5%
- Now married: 62.0%
- Separated: 2.5%
- Widowed: 9.5%
- Divorced: 12.0%
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|Shelbyville CCD:||0.5% ($261)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Shreveport, LA (51.3 miles , pop. 200,145).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Houston, TX (162.2 miles , pop. 1,953,631).
Nearest cities: Huxley, TX (1.5 miles ), Converse, LA (3.6 miles ), Noble, LA (3.7 miles ), Stanley, LA (4.0 miles) , Center, TX (4.1 miles ), Zwolle, LA (4.1 miles ), Logansport, LA (4.2 miles ), Joaquin, TX (4.2 miles ).
Latitude: 31.74 N, Longitude: 93.91 W
Unemployment by year (%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (25%)
- Construction (12%)
- Food (8%)
- Mining, quarrying, and oil and gas extraction (6%)
- Machinery (6%)
- Educational services (5%)
- Wood products (5%)
- Health care (28%)
- Food (12%)
- Educational services (10%)
- Accommodation and food services (8%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (6%)
- Public administration (6%)
- Department and other general merchandise stores (4%)
- Driver/sales workers and truck drivers (11%)
- Farmers and farm managers (8%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (7%)
- Electrical equipment mechanics and other installation, maintenance, and repair occupations including supervisors (7%)
- Agricultural workers including supervisors (6%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (5%)
- Material recording, scheduling, dispatching, and distributing workers (5%)
- Nursing, psychiatric, and home health aides (12%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (9%)
- Secretaries and administrative assistants (8%)
- Health technologists and technicians (8%)
- Preschool, kindergarten, elementary and middle school teachers (5%)
- Other sales and related workers including supervisors (5%)
- Cashiers (4%)
Average climate in Shelbyville, Texas
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Shelbyville-area historical tornado activity is slightly above Texas state average. It is 86% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 2/12/1950, a category F4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 17.1 miles away from the Shelbyville place center killed 18 people and injured 77 people and caused between $50,000 and $500,000 in damages.
On 3/20/1974, a category F3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 6.4 miles away from the place center injured 18 people and caused between $50,000 and $500,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Shelbyville-area historical earthquake activity is slightly below Texas state average. It is 81% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 2/10/2006 at 04:14:22, a magnitude 5.3 (4.2 MB, 5.3 MS, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 349.7 miles away from the city center
On 1/21/1982 at 00:33:54, a magnitude 4.7 (4.5 MB, 4.7 LG, 4.5 LG, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 257.0 miles away from Shelbyville center
On 5/4/2001 at 06:42:12, a magnitude 4.7 (4.2 MB, 4.7 LG, 4.5 LG, Depth: 6.2 mi) earthquake occurred 259.5 miles away from the city center
On 9/6/1997 at 23:38:00, a magnitude 4.5 (4.5 LG, 4.2 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 249.6 miles away from the city center
On 3/25/1976 at 00:41:20, a magnitude 5.0 (4.9 MB, 5.0 LG) earthquake occurred 339.5 miles away from Shelbyville center
On 6/16/1978 at 11:46:54, a magnitude 5.3 (4.4 MB, 4.6 UK, 5.3 ML) earthquake occurred 410.4 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Shelby County (15) is greater than the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 8
Emergencies Declared: 7
Causes of natural disasters: Hurricanes: 6, Storms: 5, Floods: 4, Fires: 2, Tornadoes: 2, Winter Storm: 1, Other: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Shelbyville:
- Stephen F Austin State University (about 42 miles; Nacogdoches, TX; Full-time enrollment: 11,542)
- Northwestern State University of Louisiana (about 48 miles; Natchitoches, LA; FT enrollment: 7,700)
- Louisiana State University-Shreveport (about 50 miles; Shreveport, LA; FT enrollment: 3,159)
- Southern University at Shreveport (about 57 miles; Shreveport, LA; FT enrollment: 2,277)
- Angelina College (about 58 miles; Lufkin, TX; FT enrollment: 3,478)
- Bossier Parish Community College (about 58 miles; Bossier City, LA; FT enrollment: 6,209)
- LeTourneau University (about 70 miles; Longview, TX; FT enrollment: 2,357)
Public high school in Shelbyville:
- SHELBYVILLE SCHOOL (Students: 751, Location: 343 FM 417 W, Grades: PK-12)
Notable locations in Shelbyville: East Hamilton Boat Ramp Recreation Site (A), Snyders Boat Ramp (B), Ragtown Recreation Site (C), Welchs Store (D), Dreka Work Center (E), Alexanders Store (F), Boles Field (G), Davis Ranch (H), Jordans Store (I), Pauls Store (J), Shelbyville Volunteer Fire Department (K). Display/hide their locations on the map
Churches in Shelbyville include: West Hamilton Church (A), Browns Chapel (B), Bell Chapel (C), Carls Chapel (D), Triumph Church (E), Carrolltown Church (F), Dunnigan Church (G), East Hamilton Church (H), East Liberty Church (I). Display/hide their locations on the map
Cemeteries: Carroll Cemetery (1), Rather Cemetery (2), Holly Springs Cemetery (3), Daugherty Cemetery (4), East Hamilton Cemetery (5), East Liberty Cemetery (6), Hollow Springs Cemetery (7). Display/hide their locations on the map
Lakes and reservoirs: Mason Lake (A), Goodsons Lake (B), Old River Lake (C), Windham Lake (D). Display/hide their locations on the map
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Bivens Branch (A), Bell Creek (B), Beauchamp Creek (C), Sandy Creek (D), McGrue Creek (E), Buckley Creek (F), Yellow Branch (G), Wooten Creek (H), Wilson Creek (I). Display/hide their locations on the map
|This place:||2.3 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.2% of all households
- Gay men: 0.2% of all households
Banks with branches in Shelbyville (2011 data):
- Farmers State Bank: Shelbyville Branch at 5033 State Hwy 87 South, branch established on 1997/04/07. Info updated 2010/07/21: Bank assets: $343.1 mil, Deposits: $301.0 mil, headquarters in Center, TX, positive income, Agricultural Specialization, 6 total offices, Holding Company: Farmers Bancshares, Inc.
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Shelbyville CCD (based on Shelby County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Shelby County:||2.28 / 10,000 pop.|
|Texas:||1.47 / 10,000 pop.|
|Shelby County:||0.76 / 10,000 pop.|
|Texas:||1.11 / 10,000 pop.|
|Shelby County:||3.42 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||3.95 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||4.18 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||6.13 / 10,000 pop.|
5.87% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($36,617 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Nacogdoches County, TX||0.63% ($27,200 average AGI)|
|from Panola County, TX||0.45% ($34,694)|
|from Harris County, TX||0.38% ($37,667)|
5.52% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($31,158 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Shelbyville:
- KEEL (710 AM; 50 kW; SHREVEPORT, LA; Owner: CITICASTERS LICENSES, L.P.)
- KWKH (1130 AM; 50 kW; SHREVEPORT, LA; Owner: CITICASTERS LICENSES, L.P.)
- KTRH (740 AM; 50 kW; HOUSTON, TX; Owner: AMFM TEXAS LICENSES LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- KDET (930 AM; 1 kW; CENTER, TX; Owner: CENTER BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- KGOL (1180 AM; 50 kW; HUMBLE, TX; Owner: ENTRAVISION HOLDINGS, LLC)
- KOKA (980 AM; 5 kW; SHREVEPORT, LA; Owner: ACCESS.1 COMMUNICATIONS - SHREVEPORT, LLC)
- KOFY (1060 AM; daytime; 10 kW; GILMER, TX; Owner: JERRY RUSSELL D/B/A THE RUSSELL COMPANY)
- KFXR (1190 AM; 50 kW; DALLAS, TX; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WBAP (820 AM; 50 kW; FORT WORTH, TX; Owner: WBAP-KSCS OPERATING, LTD.)
- KRLD (1080 AM; 50 kW; DALLAS, TX; Owner: TEXAS INFINITY BROADCASTING L.P.)
- KSYB (1300 AM; 5 kW; SHREVEPORT, LA; Owner: AMISTAD COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- KSML (1260 AM; 5 kW; DIBOLL, TX; Owner: KASA FAMILY LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- KPBL (1240 AM; 1 kW; HEMPHILL, TX; Owner: PHILLIP BURR)
Strongest FM radio stations in Shelbyville:
- KQBB (100.5 FM; CENTER, TX; Owner: CENTER BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- KJVC (92.7 FM; MANSFIELD, LA; Owner: METROPOLITAN RADIO GROUP, INC.)
- KORI (104.7 FM; MANSFIELD, LA; Owner: METROPOLITAN RADIO GROUP, INC.)
- KQSI (92.5 FM; SAN AUGUSTINE, TX; Owner: CENTER BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
TV broadcast stations around Shelbyville:
- KAIN-LP (Channel 55; NATCHITOCHES, LA; Owner: MARY GILL LEE)
- KNTS-LP (Channel 17; NATCHITOCHES, LA; Owner: RICHARD GILL)
Fatal road traffic accident statistics for 1975 - 2014 (per 100,000 population)
Shelbyville fatal accident list:
FCC Registered Antenna Towers:9 (See the full list of FCC Registered Antenna Towers in Shelbyville)
FCC Registered Microwave Towers:3
- Ellora TX, 274 Fm 3184 (Lat: 31.704639 Lon: -93.908417), Type: Gtower, Structure height: 57 m, Call Sign: WQQH725
Assigned Frequencies: 10875.0 MHzGrant Date: 12/14/2012, Expiration Date: 12/14/2022, Certifier: Craig RiebkesRegistrant: Blooston Mordkofsky Dickens Duffy & Prendergast LLP, 2120 L St Nw, Suite 300, Washington, DC 20037, Phone: (202) 828-5536, Fax: (202) 828-5568
- Huxley Sub, North Side Of Fm 2694, 1.35 Miles West Of Huxley, Tx (Lat: 31.763611 Lon: -93.900000), Type: Ltower, Structure height: 79.2 m, Call Sign: WQQX210
Assigned Frequencies: 6745.00 MHz, 6835.00 MHzGrant Date: 03/19/2013, Expiration Date: 03/19/2023, Certifier: John E Hargrove PeRegistrant: Deep East Texas Electric Cooperative Inc, 880 Hwy 21 E, San Augustine, TX 75972, Phone: (936) 275-6582, Fax: (936) 570-1800, Email:
- Ellora, 11 Miles Ese Of Shelbyville (Lat: 31.704667 Lon: -93.908389), Type: Pole, Structure height: 57.9 m, Call Sign: WQRZ459
Assigned Frequencies: 941.306 MHz, 932.306 MHzGrant Date: 08/19/2013, Expiration Date: 08/19/2023, Certifier: Craig RiebkesRegistrant: Blooston, Mordkofsky, Dickens, Duffy & Prendergast, LLP, 2120 L Street, Nw, Suite 300, Washington, DC 20037, Phone: (202) 828-5540, Fax: (202) 828-5568
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses:3
- Call Sign: KB5TAX, Grant Date: 06/09/1992, Expiration Date: 06/09/2002, Cancellation Date: 06/11/2004, Registrant: Russell C Scott, Rt 1 Box 1510, Shelbyville, TX 75973
- Call Sign: KC5COR, Grant Date: 09/07/1993, Expiration Date: 09/07/2003, Cancellation Date: 09/08/2005, Registrant: Clifford E Hart, Rt 1 Box 1467, Shelbyville, TX 75973
- Call Sign: KJ5LQ, Previous Call Sign: KB5WNJ, Licensee ID: L00468372, Grant Date: 06/21/2003, Expiration Date: 07/06/2013, Cancellation Date: 07/07/2015, Registrant: Billy G Andrews, 7188 Fm 2261, Shelbyville, TX 75973
FAA Registered Aircraft:2
- Aircraft: ROBINSON HELICOPTER COMPANY R44 II (Category: Land, Seats: 4, Weight: Up to 12,499 Pounds), Engine: LYCOMING IO-540-AE1A5 (260 HP) (Reciprocating)
N-Number: 7069X , Serial Number: 13423, Year manufactured: 2013, Airworthiness Date: 01/15/2013
Registrant (Individual): Christopher S Tyre, 3393 Fm 417 E, Shelbyville, TX 75973
- Aircraft: CESSNA 172A (Category: Land, Seats: 4, Weight: Up to 12,499 Pounds, Speed: 105 mph), Engine: CONT MOTOR 0-300 SER (145 HP) (Reciprocating)
N-Number: 7514T , Serial Number: 47114, Airworthiness Date: 11/17/1959
Registrant (Individual): Christopher W Tyre, 3393 Fm 417 E, Shelbyville, TX 75973
|Most common first names in Shelbyville, TX among deceased individuals|
|Most common last names in Shelbyville, TX among deceased individuals|
|Last name||Count||Lived (average)|
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Utility gas (46%)
- Electricity (31%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (17%)
- Wood (5%)
Shelbyville compared to Texas state average:
- Median house value below state average.
- Unemployed percentage significantly below state average.
- Black race population percentage above state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age significantly above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Renting percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
- Number of college students below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher below state average.
Total of 1 patent application in 2008-2016.