|Median resident age:||34.8 years|
|South Carolina median age:||35.4 years|
Zip code: 29940
Sheldon CCD income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2012: $95,343 (it was $63,000 in 2000)
- Black alone - 3,080 (74.8%)
- White alone - 933 (22.7%)
- Hispanic - 71 (1.7%)
- Two or more races - 26 (0.6%)
- American Indian alone - 4 (0.10%)
- Other race alone - 2 (0.05%)
Current Local Time: EST time zone
Land area: 139.4 square miles.
Population density: 36 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Sheldon:
- High school or higher: 69.3%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 11.6%
- Graduate or professional degree: 4.7%
- Unemployed: 5.5%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 39.2 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Sheldon CCD:
- Never married: 27.3%
- Now married: 54.1%
- Separated: 6.4%
- Widowed: 9.8%
- Divorced: 8.9%
According to our research of South Carolina and other state lists there were 3 registered sex offenders living in Sheldon, South Carolina as of July 02, 2015.
The ratio of number of residents in Sheldon to the number of sex offenders is 1,663 to 1.
The number of registered sex offenders compared to the number of residents in this city is a lot smaller than the state average.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|Sheldon CCD:||0.6% ($365)|
|South Carolina:||0.6% ($510)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Savannah, GA (43.0 miles , pop. 131,510).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Jacksonville, FL (166.5 miles , pop. 735,617).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Philadelphia, PA (599.5 miles , pop. 1,517,550).
Nearest cities: Yemassee, SC (2.9 miles ), Laurel Bay, SC (3.2 miles ), Burton, SC (3.5 miles ), Beaufort, SC (3.5 miles ), Shell Point, SC (3.9 miles ), Port Royal, SC (3.9 miles ), Hendersonville, SC (3.9 miles ), Ridgeland, SC (3.9 miles ).
Latitude: 32.60 N, Longitude: 80.76 W
Area code commonly used in this area: 843
Unemployment by year (%)
- Construction (22%)
- Public administration (12%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (6%)
- Repair and maintenance (6%)
- Educational services (4%)
- Motor vehicle and parts dealers (4%)
- Truck transportation (3%)
- Educational services (18%)
- Accommodation and food services (12%)
- Public administration (12%)
- Health care (10%)
- Social assistance (6%)
- Department and other general merchandise stores (6%)
- Food and beverage stores (4%)
- Vehicle and mobile equipment mechanics, installers, and repairers (9%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (9%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (8%)
- Carpenters (6%)
- Driver/sales workers and truck drivers (5%)
- Fishing and hunting, and forest and logging workers (4%)
- Retail sales workers except cashiers (4%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (11%)
- Secretaries and administrative assistants (7%)
- Child care workers (7%)
- Preschool, kindergarten, elementary and middle school teachers (6%)
- Law enforcement workers including supervisors (5%)
- Other sales and related workers including supervisors (5%)
- Nursing, psychiatric, and home health aides (4%)
Average climate in Sheldon, South Carolina
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Sheldon-area historical tornado activity is below South Carolina state average. It is 32% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 4/9/1998, a category F3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 40.7 miles away from the Sheldon place center killed 2 people and injured 17 people and caused $3 million in damages.
On 3/15/2008, a category F3 tornado 44.6 miles away from the place center .
Earthquake activity:Sheldon-area historical earthquake activity is slightly below South Carolina state average. It is 87% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 11/22/1974 at 05:25:55, a magnitude 4.7 (4.7 MB, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 41.3 miles away from the city center
On 8/2/1974 at 08:52:09, a magnitude 4.9 (4.3 MB, 4.9 LG) earthquake occurred 133.1 miles away from Sheldon center
On 8/21/1992 at 16:31:55, a magnitude 4.4 (4.1 MB, 4.1 LG, 4.4 LG, Depth: 6.2 mi) earthquake occurred 48.6 miles away from the city center
On 11/11/2002 at 23:39:29, a magnitude 4.4 (4.0 MB, 4.4 LG, Depth: 1.5 mi) earthquake occurred 49.9 miles away from the city center
On 4/17/1995 at 13:45:57, a magnitude 3.9 (3.9 LG, Depth: 6.2 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: II - III) earthquake occurred 46.8 miles away from Sheldon center
On 4/29/2003 at 08:59:39, a magnitude 4.9 (4.4 MB, 4.6 MW, 4.9 LG, Depth: 12.2 mi) earthquake occurred 309.7 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Beaufort County (4) is a lot smaller than the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 1
Emergencies Declared: 3
Causes of natural disasters: Hurricanes: 3, Drought: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Hospitals and medical centers near Sheldon:
- UNITED HOSPICE BEAUFORT (Hospital, about 13 miles away; BEAUFORT, SC)
- BEAUFORT COUNTY MEMORIAL HOSPITAL Acute Care Hospitals (about 14 miles away; BEAUFORT, SC)
- BEAUFORT MEM HOSP TCU (Nursing Home, about 14 miles away; BEAUFORT, SC)
- BAYVIEW MANOR (Nursing Home, about 15 miles away; BEAUFORT, SC)
- RIDGELAND NURSING CENTER INC (Nursing Home, about 16 miles away; RIDGELAND, SC)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Sheldon:
- Savannah College of Art and Design (about 42 miles; Savannah, GA; Full-time enrollment: 9,964)
- Savannah State University (about 44 miles; Savannah, GA; FT enrollment: 4,193)
- Savannah Technical College (about 46 miles; Savannah, GA; FT enrollment: 3,677)
- South University–Savannah Online (about 47 miles; Savannah, GA; FT enrollment: 13,512)
- Trident Technical College (about 49 miles; Charleston, SC; FT enrollment: 13,125)
- Charleston Southern University (about 49 miles; Charleston, SC; FT enrollment: 3,012)
- Citadel Military College of South Carolina (about 49 miles; Charleston, SC; FT enrollment: 3,683)
Notable locations in Sheldon: Whitsell Landing (A), Tomotley Plantation (B), Thicken Ham Plantation (C), Old Fort (D), Oak Point Landing (E), Oak Grove Plantation (F), New Port Plantation (G), Jericho Plantation (H), Huspah Plantation (I), Hobnoy Plantation (J), Cotton Hall Plantation (K), Coosaw Plantation (L), Clay Hall Plantation (M), Chisolm Plantation (N), Castle Hall Plantation (O), Brewton Plantation (P), Brays Island Plantation (Q), Bonny Hall Plantation (R), Bindon Plantation (S), Auld Brass Plantation (T). Display/hide their locations on the map
Churches in Sheldon include: Mount Sinai Church (A), Bethel Church (B), First African Church (C), Jerusalem Church (D), Briars Church (E), Huspah Church (F), Lebeco Methodist Episcopal Church South (G), Pocotaligo Church (H), Sheldon Church Ruins (I). Display/hide their locations on the map
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Field Creek (A), Whale Branch (B), True Blue Creek (C), Williman Creek (D), Wimbee Creek (E), Haulover Creek (F), Huspa Creek (G), Bull River (H), Briars Creek (I). Display/hide their locations on the map
Tourist attraction: Oyotunji African Village (Cultural Attractions- Events- & Facilities; 56 Bryant Ln) (1). Display/hide its approximate location on the map
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2007 was 53.5. This is better than average.
Particulate Matter (PM2.5) [µg/m3] level in 2007 was 10.7. This is about average. Closest monitor was 12.4 miles away from the city center.
Lead (Pb) [µg/m3] level in 2007 was 0.00065. This is significantly better than average. Closest monitor was 12.3 miles away from the city center.
Drinking water stations with addresses in Sheldon and their reported violations in the past:PRINCE WILLIAM PLANTATION (0750035) (Population served: 44, Groundwater):
Past monitoring violations:
- Follow-up Or Routine LCR Tap M/R - In OCT-01-2006, Contaminant: Lead and Copper Rule. Follow-up actions: St Public Notif requested (DEC-08-2006), St Violation/Reminder Notice (DEC-08-2006), St Public Notif received (JUN-14-2007), St Compliance achieved (OCT-10-2007)
- One routine major monitoring violation
|This place:||2.5 people|
|South Carolina:||2.5 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.6% of all households
- Gay men: 0.6% of all households
Residents with income below the poverty level in 2009:
Residents with income below 50% of the poverty level in 2009:
Sheldon compared to South Carolina state average:
- Median household income below state average.
- Median house value below state average.
- Unemployed percentage below state average.
- Black race population percentage above state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Renting percentage below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Electricity (55%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (35%)
- Utility gas (8%)
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (1%)
- Wood (1%)
Presidential Elections Results
1996 Presidential Elections Results
2000 Presidential Elections Results
2004 Presidential Elections Results
2008 Presidential Elections Results
2012 Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Sheldon CCD (based on Beaufort County data)Percentage of population affiliated with a religious congregations: 32.79%
Breakdown of population affiliated with a religious congregations
|Name||Southern Baptist Convention||Catholic Church||Presbyterian Church (USA)||Episcopal Church||United Methodist Church|
|Name||Evangelical Lutheran Church in America||LDS (Mormon) Church||Church of God (Cleveland, Tennessee)||Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)||Other|
Tables represent county-level data.
Food Environment Statistics:
|Beaufort County:||2.52 / 10,000 pop.|
|South Carolina:||1.99 / 10,000 pop.|
|This county:||0.14 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||0.15 / 10,000 pop.|
|Beaufort County:||0.55 / 10,000 pop.|
|South Carolina:||0.85 / 10,000 pop.|
|Beaufort County:||3.82 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||5.38 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||15.81 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||7.75 / 10,000 pop.|
8.74% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($60,777 average adjusted gross income)
|South Carolina average:||6.90%|
0.25% of residents moved from foreign countries ($1,054 average AGI)
Beaufort County: 0.25% South Carolina average: 0.07%
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Jasper County, SC||0.46% ($30,768 average AGI)|
|from Onslow County, NC||0.26% ($39,738)|
|from Chatham County, GA||0.24% ($32,432)|
8.36% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($42,894 average adjusted gross income)
|South Carolina average:||6.53%|
0.31% of residents moved to foreign countries ($1,588 average AGI)
Beaufort County: 0.31% South Carolina average: 0.09%
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Sheldon:
- WIQB (1050 AM; 25 kW; CONWAY, SC; Owner: CUMULUS LICENSING CORP.)
- WALD (1080 AM; daytime; 3 kW; WALTERBORO, SC; Owner: JACQUELYN COLLIER PEMBROKE)
- WBAJ (890 AM; daytime; 50 kW; BLYTHEWOOD, SC; Owner: FAMILY FIRST)
- WVGB (1490 AM; 1 kW; BEAUFORT, SC; Owner: VIVIAN BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WBMQ (630 AM; 5 kW; SAVANNAH, GA; Owner: CUMULUS LICENSING CORP.)
- WCEO (840 AM; daytime; 50 kW; COLUMBIA, SC; Owner: EASTERN BROADCASTING GROUP, INC.)
- WQIZ (810 AM; daytime; 5 kW; ST. GEORGE, SC; Owner: RADIO PROPERTIES, LLC)
- WSCC (730 AM; 5 kW; CHARLESTON, SC; Owner: CITICASTERS LICENSES, L.P.)
- WQTK (950 AM; 10 kW; MONCKS CORNER, SC; Owner: KIRKMAN BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WJLG (900 AM; 4 kW; SAVANNAH, GA; Owner: CUMULUS LICENSING CORP.)
- WOKV (690 AM; 50 kW; JACKSONVILLE, FL; Owner: COX RADIO, INC.)
- WTKS (1290 AM; 5 kW; SAVANNAH, GA; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WLFJ (660 AM; daytime; 50 kW; GREENVILLE, SC; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Sheldon:
- WJWJ-FM (89.9 FM; BEAUFORT, SC; Owner: SOUTH CAROLINA EDUCATIONAL TV COMMISSION)
- WJZX (99.7 FM; HOLLYWOOD, SC; Owner: APEX BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WYKZ (98.7 FM; BEAUFORT, SC; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WWVV (104.9 FM; RIDGELAND, SC; Owner: MONTEREY LICENSES, LLC)
- WFXH-FM (106.1 FM; HILTON HEAD ISLAND, SC; Owner: MONTEREY LICENSES, LLC)
- WGZR (106.9 FM; BLUFFTON, SC; Owner: MONTEREY LICENSES, LLC)
- WLOW (107.9 FM; PORT ROYAL, SC; Owner: MONTEREY LICENSES, LLC)
- WAGP (88.7 FM; BEAUFORT, SC; Owner: COMMUNITY BROADCASTING CORP. OF BEAUFORT, INC)
- WALI (93.7 FM; WALTERBORO, SC; Owner: HESS COMMUNICATIONS LLC)
- WZAT (102.1 FM; SAVANNAH, GA; Owner: CUMULUS LICENSING CORP.)
- WGZO (103.1 FM; PARRIS ISLAND, SC; Owner: ZIP COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WAEV (97.3 FM; SAVANNAH, GA; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WQBT (94.1 FM; SAVANNAH, GA; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WNKT (107.5 FM; ST. GEORGE, SC; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
TV broadcast stations around Sheldon:
- WJWJ-TV (Channel 16; BEAUFORT, SC; Owner: SOUTH CAROLINA EDUCATIONAL TV COMMISSION)
- W19CH (Channel 19; BEAUFORT, SC; Owner: TRINITY BROADCASTING NETWORK)
- WCBD-TV (Channel 2; CHARLESTON, SC; Owner: MEDIA GENERAL COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- W32BJ (Channel 32; BEAUFORT, ETC., SC; Owner: SOUTHERN TV CORPORATION)
- WSAV-TV (Channel 3; SAVANNAH, GA; Owner: MEDIA GENERAL COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WTOC-TV (Channel 11; SAVANNAH, GA; Owner: RAYCOM AMERICA, INC.)
- WGSA-CA (Channel 50; SAVANNAH, GA; Owner: SOUTHERN TV CORPORATION)
- WTGS (Channel 28; HARDEEVILLE, SC; Owner: BLUENOSE BROADCASTING OF SAVANNAH LLC)
- WJCL (Channel 22; SAVANNAH, GA; Owner: PIEDMONT TELEVISION OF SAVANNAH LICENSE LLC)
FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers:2
- Sheldon Fire Tower Int Us Hwy 17/21 & Secondary Hwy S-7-235 (Lat: 32.605750 Lon: -80.789833), Call Sign: KIB323, Licensee ID: L00135262
Assigned Frequencies: 159.270 MHz, 159.405 MHz
Grant Date: 10/24/2001, Expiration Date: 01/10/2012, Cancellation Date: 12/02/2002
Registrant: State Of South Carolina, Columbia, SC 29221, Phone: (803) 737-8800
- Lat: 32.581083 Lon: -80.798250, Call Sign: WQFJ253
Assigned Frequencies: 452.287 MHz, 457.287 MHz, 451.487 MHz, 456.487 MHz
Grant Date: 07/27/2006, Expiration Date: 07/27/2016, Certifier: Paul Pyle
Registrant: Cara Enterprises, Inc., Salt Lake City, UT 84117-0503, Phone: (801) 278-9728, Fax: (801) 278-7239, Email:
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses:3
- Call Sign: N4LMB, Previous Call Sign: KB4MBS, Licensee ID: L00651976
Grant Date: 04/23/2013, Expiration Date: 04/23/2023
Registrant: Margaret H Fischer, 36 Pinckney Bluff Pl, Sheldon, SC 29941
- Call Sign: WA4HUV, Licensee ID: L00389570
Grant Date: 05/18/2011, Expiration Date: 08/16/2021, Certifier: Randolph H Smith
Registrant: Randolph H Smith, 2 Pinckney Bluff Pl, Sheldon, SC 29941-3045
- Call Sign: KJ4BLZ, Licensee ID: L01361037
Grant Date: 01/22/2008, Expiration Date: 01/22/2018, Certifier: Diane P Burnett
Registrant: Diane P Burnett, P. O. Box 146, #10 Huspah Ct N, Sheldon, SC 29941
FAA Registered Aircraft:4
- Aircraft: DALTON BART VANS RV4 (Category: Land, Seats: 2, Weight: Up to 12,499 Pounds), Engine: LYCOMING O&VO-360 SER (180 HP) (Reciprocating)
N-Number: 54RS , Serial Number: 633, Year manufactured: 1997, Airworthiness Date: 11/12/1997
Registrant (Corporation): Nikair LLC, 36 Pinckney Bluff Pl, Sheldon, SC 29941
- Aircraft: CESSNA/WHITEHOUSE 305A (Category: Land, Seats: 2, Weight: Up to 12,499 Pounds), Engine: CONT MOTOR O-470 SERIES (230 HP) (Reciprocating)
N-Number: 68VN , Serial Number: 22773, Year manufactured: 1952, Airworthiness Date: 03/23/1989
Registrant (Individual): Landon K Thorne, 2 Means Bluff Way, Sheldon, SC 29941
- Aircraft: PIPER J3C-65 (Category: Land, Seats: 2, Weight: Up to 12,499 Pounds, Speed: 67 mph), Engine: CONT MOTOR C85 SERIES (85 HP) (Reciprocating)
N-Number: 70942 , Serial Number: 17965, Year manufactured: 1946, Airworthiness Date: 12/10/1982
Registrant (Individual): Howell C Jr Jones, Po Drawer 40, Sheldon, SC 29941
- Aircraft: CESSNA 210L (Category: Land, Seats: 6, Weight: Up to 12,499 Pounds, Speed: 87 mph), Engine: CONT MOTOR IO 520 SERIES (285 HP) (Reciprocating)
N-Number: 94005 , Serial Number: 21060479, Year manufactured: 1974, Airworthiness Date: 09/18/1974
Registrant (Individual): Howell C Jr Jones, Po Box 40, Sheldon, SC 29941
Total of 1 patent application in 2008-2015.