|Median resident age:||48.8 years|
|Maine median age:||43.0 years|
Zip codes: 04776.
Sherman town income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2012: $92,022 (it was $57,600 in 2000)
- White alone - 830 (97.9%)
- American Indian alone - 10 (1.2%)
- Two or more races - 8 (0.9%)
|Exterminators in Sherman Area (1 reply)|
|Bill submitted to allow Maine gun owners to carry concealed without permit (161 replies)|
|Older folks who have retired to Maine from elsewhere (117 replies)|
|Vote NO on Federal Park (94 replies)|
|Metal roof installers around Sherman (7 replies)|
|East/West Highway (109 replies)|
Latest news from Sherman, ME collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: Irish (34.0%), English (24.0%), French (20.2%), United States (8.3%), German (7.8%), Scottish (5.2%).
Current Local Time: EST time zone
Incorporated on 01/28/1862
Elevation: 522 feet
Land area: 40.3 square miles.
Population density: 21 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Sherman:
- High school or higher: 84.0%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 7.9%
- Graduate or professional degree: 3.0%
- Unemployed: 8.7%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 33.8 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Sherman town:
- Never married: 18.8%
- Now married: 67.9%
- Separated: 1.8%
- Widowed: 5.8%
- Divorced: 5.8%
12 residents are foreign born
According to our research of Maine and other state lists there were 4 registered sex offenders living in Sherman, Maine as of April 20, 2015.
The ratio of number of residents in Sherman to the number of sex offenders is 221 to 1.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|Sherman town:||1.2% ($669)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Portland, ME (180.5 miles , pop. 64,249).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Boston, MA (281.8 miles , pop. 589,141).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Bronx, NY (445.6 miles , pop. 1,332,650).
Nearest cities: Stacyville, ME (2.3 miles ), Crystal, ME (2.6 miles ), Patten, ME (2.9 miles ), Island Falls, ME (3.0 miles ), Hersey, ME (3.6 miles) , Mount Chase, ME (3.7 miles ), Dyer Brook, ME (3.8 miles) , Oakfield, ME (4.3 miles ).
Latitude: 45.89 N, Longitude: 68.36 W
Area code commonly used in this area: 207
Unemployment by year (%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (23%)
- Paper (11%)
- Truck transportation (8%)
- Construction (8%)
- Wood products (6%)
- Public administration (4%)
- Educational services (4%)
- Health care (19%)
- Educational services (12%)
- Administrative and support and waste management services (7%)
- Accommodation and food services (6%)
- Food and beverage stores (6%)
- Social assistance (6%)
- Finance and insurance (5%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (13%)
- Driver/sales workers and truck drivers (13%)
- Fishing and hunting, and forest and logging workers (11%)
- Vehicle and mobile equipment mechanics, installers, and repairers (6%)
- Other sales and related workers including supervisors (5%)
- Other office and administrative support workers including supervisors (4%)
- Construction trades workers except carpenters, electricians, painters, plumbers, and construction laborers (4%)
- Nursing, psychiatric, and home health aides (9%)
- Other sales and related workers including supervisors (8%)
- Other management occupations except farmers and farm managers (7%)
- Cashiers (6%)
- Secretaries and administrative assistants (6%)
- Supervisors and other personal care and service workers except personal appearance, transportation, and child care workers (5%)
- Registered nurses (4%)
Average climate in Sherman, Maine
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Earthquake activity:Sherman-area historical earthquake activity is slightly below Maine state average. It is 94% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 4/20/2002 at 10:50:47, a magnitude 5.2 (5.2 MB, 4.2 MS, 5.2 MW, 5.0 MW, Depth: 6.8 mi, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 278.7 miles away from the city center
On 10/3/2006 at 00:07:38, a magnitude 4.3 (3.8 MB, 3.8 MW, 4.3 LG, Depth: 4.0 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 107.7 miles away from Sherman center
On 7/14/2006 at 09:34:49, a magnitude 4.0 (3.5 MW, 4.0 LG, Depth: 14.9 mi) earthquake occurred 72.9 miles away from the city center
On 10/7/1983 at 10:18:46, a magnitude 5.3 (5.1 MB, 5.3 LG, 5.1 ML) earthquake occurred 322.2 miles away from the city center
On 1/19/1982 at 00:14:42, a magnitude 4.7 (4.5 MB, 4.7 MD, 4.5 LG) earthquake occurred 229.8 miles away from Sherman center
On 9/16/1994 at 04:22:42, a magnitude 3.6 (3.6 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: II - III) earthquake occurred 41.2 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), duration magnitude (MD), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Aroostook County (21) is a lot greater than the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 12
Emergencies Declared: 9
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 10, Storms: 8, Snows: 7, Heavy Rains: 2, Blizzard: 1, Hurricane: 1, Ice Storm: 1, Snowfall: 1, Snowstorm: 1, Wind: 1, Winter Storm: 1, Other: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Sherman:
- University of Maine (about 71 miles; Orono, ME; Full-time enrollment: 8,931)
- Husson University (about 77 miles; Bangor, ME; FT enrollment: 2,421)
- University of Maine at Farmington (about 122 miles; Farmington, ME; FT enrollment: 2,036)
- University of Maine at Augusta (about 129 miles; Augusta, ME; FT enrollment: 3,204)
- Saint Joseph's College of Maine (about 177 miles; Standish, ME; FT enrollment: 2,010)
- Southern Maine Community College (about 181 miles; South Portland, ME; FT enrollment: 4,666)
- University of Southern Maine (about 181 miles; Portland, ME; FT enrollment: 6,647)
Notable location: Sherman Volunteer Fire Department (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Church in Sherman: Calvary Baptist Church (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Cemeteries: Sherman Cemetery (1), Golden Ridge Cemetery (2), Sherman Mills Cemetery (3). Display/hide their locations on the map
Lakes: Macwahoc Lake (A), Mud Pond (B). Display/hide their locations on the map
Streams, rivers, and creeks: West Branch Molunkus Stream (A), Scudder Brook (B), Hicks Brook (C), Webster Brook (D), East Branch Molunkus Stream (E), Lufman Brook (F), Collison Brook (G), Caldwell Brook (H), Boot Swamp Brook (I). Display/hide their locations on the map
|This town:||2.3 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.6% of all households
- Gay men: 0.3% of all households
Residents with income below the poverty level in 2009:
Residents with income below 50% of the poverty level in 2009:
Sherman compared to Maine state average:
- Median house value significantly below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Renting percentage below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
- Number of college students below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher significantly below state average.
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (70%)
- Wood (24%)
- Electricity (3%)
- Coal or coke (2%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (1%)
Religion statistics for Sherman town (based on Aroostook County data)Percentage of population affiliated with a religious congregations: 60.84%
Breakdown of population affiliated with a religious congregations
|Name||Catholic Church||American Baptist Churches in the USA||United Methodist Church||The Wesleyan Church||Assemblies of God|
|Name||United Church of Christ||Evangelical Lutheran Church in America||LDS (Mormon) Church||Episcopal Church||Other|
Tables represent county-level data.
Food Environment Statistics:
|Aroostook County:||4.03 / 10,000 pop.|
|Maine:||2.80 / 10,000 pop.|
|This county:||0.14 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||0.14 / 10,000 pop.|
|Aroostook County:||2.22 / 10,000 pop.|
|Maine:||2.20 / 10,000 pop.|
|Aroostook County:||7.78 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||5.75 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||9.17 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||11.02 / 10,000 pop.|
3.21% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($33,766 average adjusted gross income)
0.08% of residents moved from foreign countries ($1,181 average AGI)
Aroostook County: 0.08% Maine average: 0.04%
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Penobscot County, ME||0.46% ($28,764 average AGI)|
|from Cumberland County, ME||0.20% ($23,132)|
|from Hartford County, CT||0.09% ($34,920)|
3.74% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($34,623 average adjusted gross income)
0.11% of residents moved to foreign countries ($830 average AGI)
Aroostook County: 0.11% Maine average: 0.05%
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Sherman:
- WREM (710 AM; daytime; 5 kW; MONTICELLO, ME; Owner: ALLAN H WEINER)
- WFST (600 AM; 5 kW; CARIBOU, ME; Owner: NORTHERN BROADCAST MINISTRIES, INC.)
- WSYY (1240 AM; 1 kW; MILLINOCKET, ME; Owner: KATAHDIN BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WZON (620 AM; 5 kW; BANGOR, ME; Owner: THE ZONE CORPORATION)
- WEGP (1390 AM; 5 kW; PRESQUE ISLE, ME; Owner: DECELLES/SMITH MEDIA, INC.)
- WRKO (680 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WABI (910 AM; 5 kW; BANGOR, ME; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WSKW (1160 AM; 10 kW; SKOWHEGAN, ME; Owner: MOUNTAIN WIRELESS, INCORPORATED)
- WEEI (850 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WCHP (760 AM; 35 kW; CHAMPLAIN, NY; Owner: CHAMPLAIN RADIO, INC.)
- WNNZ (640 AM; 50 kW; WESTFIELD, MA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WBZ (1030 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WCRN (830 AM; 50 kW; WORCESTER, MA; Owner: CARTER BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
Strongest FM radio stations in Sherman:
- WSYY-FM (94.9 FM; MILLINOCKET, ME; Owner: KATAHDIN COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WHOU-FM (100.1 FM; HOULTON, ME; Owner: COUNTY COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WHCF (88.5 FM; BANGOR, ME; Owner: BANGOR BAPTIST CHURCH)
- WVOM (103.9 FM; HOWLAND, ME; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
Total length: 36 meters (118ft)
Total costs: $132,000
Total average daily traffic: 20,182
Total average daily truck traffic: 1,977
New bridges - Historical Statistics
- 1940-1949: 1
- 1950-1959: 0
- 1960-1969: 9
- 1970-1979: 1
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 1
Businesses in Sherman, ME
- Circle K: 1