|Median resident age:||43.0 years|
|Tennessee median age:||35.9 years|
Zip code: 37376
Sherwood CCD income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2012: $43,997 (it was $33,100 in 2000)
- White alone - 518 (97.2%)
- Two or more races - 10 (1.9%)
- Hispanic - 5 (0.9%)
Current Local Time: CST time zone
Elevation: 672 feet
Land area: 87.2 square miles.
Population density: 6.4 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Sherwood:
- High school or higher: 47.5%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 9.1%
- Graduate or professional degree: 5.2%
- Unemployed: 6.7%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 29.0 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Sherwood CCD:
- Never married: 15.6%
- Now married: 59.7%
- Separated: 1.7%
- Widowed: 8.1%
- Divorced: 16.6%
According to our research of Tennessee and other state lists there was 1 registered sex offender living in Sherwood, Tennessee as of July 02, 2015.
The ratio of number of residents in Sherwood to the number of sex offenders is 558 to 1.
The number of registered sex offenders compared to the number of residents in this city is near the state average.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|Sherwood CCD:||1.0% ($331)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Chattanooga, TN (37.1 miles , pop. 155,554).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Nashville-Davidson, TN (89.2 miles , pop. 545,524).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Chicago, IL (478.5 miles , pop. 2,896,016).
Nearest cities: Orme, TN (2.7 miles) , Cowan, TN (3.0 miles ), Sewanee, TN (3.1 miles ), South Pittsburg, TN (3.5 miles ), Monteagle, TN (3.7 miles ), Decherd, TN (3.7 miles ), Winchester, TN (3.7 miles ), Bridgeport, AL (3.7 miles ).
Latitude: 35.06 N, Longitude: 85.92 W
Area code commonly used in this area: 931
Unemployment by year (%)
- Textile mills and textile products (32%)
- Construction (17%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (13%)
- Accommodation and food services (9%)
- Mining, quarrying, and oil and gas extraction (8%)
- Finance and insurance (6%)
- Educational services (5%)
- Textile mills and textile products (35%)
- Department and other general merchandise stores (15%)
- Accommodation and food services (10%)
- Food and beverage stores (8%)
- Educational services (7%)
- Transportation equipment (6%)
- Public administration (6%)
- Textile, apparel, and furnishings workers (26%)
- Fishing and hunting, and forest and logging workers (18%)
- Construction trades workers except carpenters, electricians, painters, plumbers, and construction laborers (14%)
- Construction laborers (11%)
- Cooks and food preparation workers (9%)
- Sales representatives, services, wholesale and manufacturing (6%)
- Carpenters (6%)
- Textile, apparel, and furnishings workers (36%)
- Other sales and related workers including supervisors (13%)
- Other food preparation and serving workers including supervisors (10%)
- Retail sales workers except cashiers (9%)
- Cooks and food preparation workers (7%)
- Secretaries and administrative assistants (6%)
- Operations specialties managers except financial managers (5%)
Average climate in Sherwood, Tennessee
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Sherwood-area historical tornado activity is slightly above Tennessee state average. It is 91% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 4/3/1974, a category F5 (max. wind speeds 261-318 mph) tornado 30.7 miles away from the Sherwood place center killed 16 people and injured 190 people.
On 2/13/1952, a category F4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 14.2 miles away from the place center killed 3 people and injured 44 people and caused between $50,000 and $500,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Sherwood-area historical earthquake activity is near Tennessee state average. It is 78% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 4/29/2003 at 08:59:39, a magnitude 4.9 (4.4 MB, 4.6 MW, 4.9 LG, Depth: 12.2 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 42.6 miles away from the city center
On 1/18/1999 at 07:00:53, a magnitude 4.8 (4.8 MB, 4.0 LG, Depth: 0.6 mi) earthquake occurred 137.6 miles away from Sherwood center
On 4/18/2008 at 09:36:59, a magnitude 5.4 (5.1 MB, 4.8 MS, 5.4 MW, 5.2 MW, Depth: 8.9 mi, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 258.6 miles away from the city center
On 11/30/1973 at 07:48:41, a magnitude 4.7 (4.7 MB, 4.6 ML) earthquake occurred 121.7 miles away from the city center
On 7/27/1980 at 18:52:21, a magnitude 5.2 (5.1 MB, 4.7 MS, 5.0 UK, 5.2 UK) earthquake occurred 243.6 miles away from Sherwood center
On 6/18/2002 at 17:37:15, a magnitude 5.0 (4.3 MB, 4.6 MW, 5.0 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 227.2 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Franklin County (9) is smaller than the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 7
Emergencies Declared: 2
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 3, Storms: 3, Tornadoes: 3, Winter Storms: 3, Flash Flood: 1, Heavy Rain: 1, Hurricane: 1, Ice Storm: 1, Snowfall: 1, Wind: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Hospitals and medical centers near Sherwood:
- EMERALD-HODGSON HEALTH CARE CENTER (Nursing Home, about 11 miles away; SEWANEE, TN)
- RCG WINCHESTER (Dialysis Facility, about 12 miles away; WINCHESTER, TN)
- CARESOUTH HHA HOLDINGS OF WINCHESTER, LLC (Home Health Center, about 12 miles away; WINCHESTER, TN)
- GOLDEN LIVINGCENTER - MOUNTAIN VIEW (Nursing Home, about 13 miles away; WINCHESTER, TN)
- SOUTHERN TENNESSEE MEDICAL CENTER Acute Care Hospitals (about 13 miles away; WINCHESTER, TN)
- WILLOWS AT WINCHESTER CARE AND REHABILITATION CENTER (Nursing Home, about 13 miles away; WINCHESTER, TN)
- BRIDGE AT SOUTH PITTSBURG, THE (Nursing Home, about 13 miles away; SOUTH PITTSBURG, TN)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Sherwood:
- Motlow State Community College (about 30 miles; Tullahoma, TN; Full-time enrollment: 2,915)
- The University of Tennessee-Chattanooga (about 36 miles; Chattanooga, TN; FT enrollment: 10,158)
- Northeast Alabama Community College (about 36 miles; Rainsville, AL; FT enrollment: 2,409)
- Chattanooga State Community College (about 39 miles; Chattanooga, TN; FT enrollment: 6,827)
- Alabama A & M University (about 42 miles; Normal, AL; FT enrollment: 4,524)
- University of Alabama in Huntsville (about 47 miles; Huntsville, AL; FT enrollment: 6,006)
- Southern Adventist University (about 50 miles; Collegedale, TN; FT enrollment: 2,898)
Notable locations in Sherwood: Posey Field (A), Sinking Cove (B), Crow Creek Valley Volunteer Fire Department Station 1 (C), Crow Creek Valley Volunteer Fire Department Station 2 (D). Display/hide their locations on the map
Church in Sherwood: Gounce Church (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Cemeteries: Jackson Cemetery (1), Lynch Cemetery (2), Red Hill Cemetery (3), Morris Cemetery (4), Crownover Cemetery (5), Gonce Cemetery (6), Sherwood Cemetery (7). Display/hide their locations on the map
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Lost Creek (A), Laurel Branch (B), Youngs Creek (C), Dry Creek (D), Cross Creek (E), Buck Creek (F), Holly Flat Creek (G), Vine Branch (H), Willis Branch (I). Display/hide their locations on the map
Park in Sherwood: Mister and Mrs Larry Lee Carter Natural Area (1). Display/hide its location on the map
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2007 was 27.1. This is significantly better than average.
Nitrogen Dioxide (NO2) [ppb] level in 2004 was 3.44. This is significantly better than average. Closest monitor was 13.8 miles away from the city center.
Sulfur Dioxide (SO2) [ppb] level in 2007 was 2.27. This is about average. Closest monitor was 9.0 miles away from the city center.
Ozone [ppb] level in 2004 was 36.3. This is about average. Closest monitor was 17.1 miles away from the city center.
|This place:||2.4 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.0% of all households
- Gay men: 0.5% of all households
Residents with income below the poverty level in 2009:
Residents with income below 50% of the poverty level in 2009:
Sherwood compared to Tennessee state average:
- Median household income below state average.
- Median house value significantly below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Renting percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
- Number of college students significantly below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher below state average.
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Electricity (41%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (40%)
- Wood (12%)
- Utility gas (5%)
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (3%)
Presidential Elections Results
1996 Presidential Elections Results
2000 Presidential Elections Results
2004 Presidential Elections Results
2008 Presidential Elections Results
2012 Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Sherwood CCD (based on Franklin County data)Percentage of population affiliated with a religious congregations: 51.96%
Breakdown of population affiliated with a religious congregations
|Name||Southern Baptist Convention||United Methodist Church||Churches of Christ||Cumberland Presbyterian Church||Church of the Nazarene|
|Name||Duck River and Kindred Baptists Associations||Episcopal Church||Catholic Church||Church of God (Cleveland, Tennessee)||Other|
Tables represent county-level data.
Food Environment Statistics:
|Franklin County:||2.68 / 10,000 pop.|
|Tennessee:||1.99 / 10,000 pop.|
|This county:||0.24 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||0.17 / 10,000 pop.|
|Franklin County:||0.73 / 10,000 pop.|
|Tennessee:||0.65 / 10,000 pop.|
|Franklin County:||6.57 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||5.16 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||5.11 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||6.56 / 10,000 pop.|
5.17% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($34,765 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Coffee County, TN||1.08% ($27,237 average AGI)|
|from Rutherford County, TN||0.23% ($34,559)|
|from Bedford County, TN||0.23% ($30,697)|
5.32% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($32,485 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Sherwood:
- WWAM (820 AM; daytime; 50 kW; JASPER, TN; Owner: SHELTON BROADCASTING SYSTEM)
- WFLI (1070 AM; 50 kW; LOOKOUT MOUNTAIN, TN; Owner: WFLI, INC.)
- WZYX (1440 AM; 5 kW; COWAN, TN; Owner: TIMS FORD BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- WEPG (910 AM; 5 kW; SOUTH PITTSBURG, TN; Owner: STONE/COLLINS COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WLOR (1550 AM; 50 kW; HUNTSVILLE, AL; Owner: BCA RADIO, LLC)
- WSM (650 AM; 50 kW; NASHVILLE, TN; Owner: GAYLORD ENTERTAINMENT COMPANY)
- WNSI (810 AM; 50 kW; JACKSONVILLE, AL; Owner: UNITED BROADCASTING NETWORK, INC.)
- WBXR (1140 AM; daytime; 15 kW; HAZEL GREEN, AL; Owner: LOW COUNTRY CORPORATION, INC.)
- WQRX (870 AM; daytime; 10 kW; VALLEY HEAD, AL; Owner: BARINOWSKI INVESTMENT COMPANY)
- WZCT (1330 AM; 5 kW; SCOTTSBORO, AL; Owner: BONNER AND CARLILE ENTERPRISES)
- WAMB (1160 AM; 50 kW; DONELSON, TN; Owner: GREAT SOUTHERN BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- WGST (640 AM; 50 kW; ATLANTA, GA; Owner: CITICASTERS LICENSES, L.P.)
- WKNG (1060 AM; daytime; 50 kW; TALLAPOOSA, GA; Owner: WKNG, INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Sherwood:
- WMXF-FM (97.3 FM; SOUTH PITTSBURG, TN; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WMBW (88.9 FM; CHATTANOOGA, TN; Owner: THE MOODY BIBLE INSTITUTE OF CHICAGO)
- WUSY (100.7 FM; CLEVELAND, TN; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WBDX (102.7 FM; TRENTON, GA; Owner: PARTNERS FOR CHRISTIAN RADIO, INC.)
- WUSX (93.3 FM; TULLAHOMA, TN; Owner: TENNNESSE VALLEY RADIO, INC)
- WMXN-FM (101.7 FM; STEVENSON, AL; Owner: KEA RADIO, INC.)
- W257AZ (99.3 FM; LOOKOUT MOUNTAIN, TN; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WDEF-FM (92.3 FM; CHATTANOOGA, TN; Owner: JACKSON TELECASTERS, INC.)
- WAHR (99.1 FM; HUNTSVILLE, AL; Owner: BCA RADIO, LLC)
- WDOD-FM (96.5 FM; CHATTANOOGA, TN; Owner: WDOD OF CHATTANOOGA, INC.)
- WSKZ (106.5 FM; CHATTANOOGA, TN; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WSGM (104.7 FM; COALMONT, TN; Owner: CUMBERLAND COMMUNICATION CORPORATION)
- W289AC (105.7 FM; HUNTSVILLE, AL; Owner: WILLIAM PAXTON ROGERS)
- WOGT (107.9 FM; EAST RIDGE, TN; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WXQW (94.1 FM; MERIDIANVILLE, AL; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- W293AH (106.5 FM; NORMAL, AL; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WWTN (99.7 FM; MANCHESTER, TN; Owner: CUMULUS LICENSING CORP.)
- WKXJ (98.1 FM; SIGNAL MOUNTAIN, TN; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- W278AC (103.5 FM; WALDEN, TN; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WSMC-FM (90.5 FM; COLLEGEDALE, TN; Owner: SOUTHERN COLLEGE OF SEVENTH-DAY ADVT)
TV broadcast stations around Sherwood:
- WFLI-TV (Channel 53; CLEVELAND, TN; Owner: CHATTANOOGA MEDIA HOLDINGS, L.L.C.)
- WZDX (Channel 54; HUNTSVILLE, AL; Owner: HUNTSVILLE TELEVISION ACQUISITION CORP.)
- W64BJ (Channel 64; SCOTTSBORO, AL; Owner: TRINITY BROADCASTING NETWORK)
- WAAY-TV (Channel 31; HUNTSVILLE, AL; Owner: PIEDMONT TELEVISION OF HUNTSVILLE LICENSE LLC)
- WHNT-TV (Channel 19; HUNTSVILLE, AL; Owner: NEW YORK TIMES MANAGEMENT SERVICES)
Sherwood fatal accident list:
FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers:3
- 9810 Sherwood Rd (Lat: 35.075639 Lon: -85.923861), Type: Pole, Structure height: 19 m, Overall height: 21 m, Call Sign: WPQA205, Licensee ID: L00258361
Assigned Frequencies: 935.887 MHz, 935.937 MHz, 935.987 MHz, 936.887 MHz, 936.937 MHz, 936.987 MHz
Grant Date: 04/12/2000, Expiration Date: 04/12/2005, Cancellation Date: 01/28/2005, Certifier: Robert Vandeberg
Registrant: Association Of American Railroads Dba Transportation Technology Center Csxt, 55500 Dot Rd, Pueblo, CO 81001, Phone: (719) 584-0578, Fax: (719) 584-7145
- 2024 Crownover Road (Lat: 34.993278 Lon: -85.904944), Call Sign: WQFK605
Assigned Frequencies: 469.100 MHz, 469.400 MHz, 469.900 MHz
Grant Date: 08/04/2006, Expiration Date: 08/04/2016, Certifier: Nathan Steele
Registrant: Tunnel Radio Of America, 33868 Se Eastgate Circle, Corvallis, OR 97333, Phone: (541) 758-5637, Fax: (541) 758-1417, Email:
- Lat: 34.994417 Lon: -85.903333, Call Sign: WQPS862
Assigned Frequencies: 467.262 MHz, 467.287 MHz, 467.312 MHz, 467.362 MHz, 467.412 MHz, 467.337 MHz, 467.237 MHz, 467.387 MHz, 462.362 MHz, 462.412 MHz
Grant Date: 08/07/2012, Expiration Date: 08/07/2022, Certifier: Chris Counts
Registrant: Shuttlewagon Inc, 4116 Doctor Greaves Road, Grandview, MO 64030-1138, Phone: (816) 569-4643, Fax: (816) 763-0705, Email:
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 4
- Hazardous Condition: 3