We are giving away $1200 in prizes - enter simply by sending us your own city pictures!
- OSM Map
- Google Map
- MSN Map
- OSM Map
- General Map
- Google Map
- MSN Map
- OSM Map
- Google Map
- MSN Map
- OSM Map
- Google Map
- MSN Map
Please wait while loading the map...
|Median resident age:||53.6 years|
|Maine median age:||43.0 years|
Estimated per capita income in 2013: $21,830 (it was $14,487 in 2000)
Estimated median house or condo value in 2013: $134,724 (it was $81,500 in 2000)
Mean prices in 2013: All housing units: $146,333; Detached houses: $158,409; Townhouses or other attached units: $192,170; In 2-unit structures: $150,318; In 3-to-4-unit structures: $86,534; In 5-or-more-unit structures: $328,038; Mobile homes: $49,046
Races in Shirley, ME (2010)
- 23299.6%White alone
- 10.4%Asian alone
Recent articles from our blog. Our writers, many of them Ph.D. graduates or candidates, create easy-to-read articles on a wide variety of topics.
- Online travel agencies generate most of their revenue in the United States Oct 25
- In Which States are Businesses Most Dependent on International Demand? Oct 22
- The most comfortable places to live in the U.S. Oct 21
- Fast food industry is an enduring American value Oct 19
- A look at the numbers: diabetes in the U.S. Oct 17
Ancestries: English (34.4%), French (28.4%), Irish (18.0%), Scottish (10.9%), German (9.8%), United States (8.2%).
Current Local Time: EST time zone
Incorporated on 03/04/1834
Land area: 52.9 square miles.
Population density: 4.4 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Shirley:
- High school or higher: 81.0%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 23.3%
- Graduate or professional degree: 3.7%
- Unemployed: 5.0%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 26.5 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Shirley town:
- Never married: 14.0%
- Now married: 69.3%
- Separated: 0.0%
- Widowed: 7.3%
- Divorced: 9.5%
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|Shirley town:||0.8% ($667)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Portland, ME (120.6 miles , pop. 64,249).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Boston, MA (221.6 miles , pop. 589,141).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Bronx, NY (377.8 miles , pop. 1,332,650).
Nearest cities: Monson, ME (2.7 miles ), Greenville, ME (2.8 miles ), Willimantic, ME (3.6 miles) , Abbot, ME (3.6 miles ), Beaver Cove, ME (3.7 miles) , Caratunk, ME (4.1 miles) , Guilford, ME (4.1 miles ), Parkman, ME (4.2 miles ).
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1998: 1 building, cost: $101,700
- 2000: 2 buildings, average cost: $12,500
- 2001: 7 buildings, average cost: $121,400
- 2002: 5 buildings, average cost: $50,000
- 2003: 2 buildings, average cost: $132,800
- 2004: 2 buildings, average cost: $100,000
- 2005: 5 buildings, average cost: $43,000
- 2006: 4 buildings, average cost: $50,000
- 2007: 5 buildings, average cost: $70,000
- 2008: 2 buildings, average cost: $75,000
- 2009: 1 building, cost: $50,000
- 2010: 1 building, cost: $42,600
- 2011: 1 building, cost: $37,500
- 2014: 1 building, cost: $211,200
Number of permits per 10,000 residents
Average cost (in $1000s)
Latitude: 45.35 N, Longitude: 69.63 W
Area code commonly used in this area: 207
Unemployment by year (%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (21%)
- Truck transportation (13%)
- Wood products (10%)
- Educational services (10%)
- Accommodation and food services (8%)
- Motor vehicle and parts dealers (6%)
- Public administration (6%)
- Educational services (21%)
- Accommodation and food services (17%)
- Health care (11%)
- Textile mills and textile products (6%)
- Furniture and related product manufacturing (6%)
- Food and beverage stores (6%)
- Used merchandise, gift, novelty, and souvenir, and other miscellaneous stores (6%)
- Driver/sales workers and truck drivers (13%)
- Fishing and hunting, and forest and logging workers (10%)
- Other sales and related workers including supervisors (8%)
- Woodworkers (8%)
- Other management occupations except farmers and farm managers (6%)
- Drafters, engineering, and mapping technicians (6%)
- Preschool, kindergarten, elementary and middle school teachers (6%)
- Other management occupations except farmers and farm managers (17%)
- Secondary school teachers (11%)
- Cashiers (11%)
- Other sales and related workers including supervisors (11%)
- Registered nurses (9%)
- Accountants and auditors (6%)
- Other teachers and instructors, education, training, and library occupations (6%)
Average climate in Shirley, Maine
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Earthquake activity:Shirley-area historical earthquake activity is near Maine state average. It is 93% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 4/20/2002 at 10:50:47, a magnitude 5.2 (5.2 MB, 4.2 MS, 5.2 MW, 5.0 MW, Depth: 6.8 mi, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 208.8 miles away from the city center
On 10/7/1983 at 10:18:46, a magnitude 5.3 (5.1 MB, 5.3 LG, 5.1 ML) earthquake occurred 251.0 miles away from Shirley center
On 1/19/1982 at 00:14:42, a magnitude 4.7 (4.5 MB, 4.7 MD, 4.5 LG, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 160.6 miles away from the city center
On 10/3/2006 at 00:07:38, a magnitude 4.3 (3.8 MB, 3.8 MW, 4.3 LG, Depth: 4.0 mi) earthquake occurred 100.6 miles away from the city center
On 2/26/1999 at 03:38:43, a magnitude 3.8 (3.8 LG, Depth: 2.0 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: II - III) earthquake occurred 60.3 miles away from Shirley center
On 7/14/2006 at 09:34:49, a magnitude 4.0 (3.5 MW, 4.0 LG, Depth: 14.9 mi) earthquake occurred 118.2 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), duration magnitude (MD), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Piscataquis County (20) is a lot greater than the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 14
Emergencies Declared: 6
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 12, Storms: 11, Snows: 7, Heavy Rains: 2, Blizzard: 1, Ice Storm: 1, Landslide: 1, Snowfall: 1, Wind: 1, Winter Storm: 1, Other: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Birthplace of: Edgar Wilson Nye - Journalist.
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Shirley:
- University of Maine at Farmington (about 54 miles; Farmington, ME; Full-time enrollment: 2,036)
- Husson University (about 55 miles; Bangor, ME; FT enrollment: 2,421)
- University of Maine (about 57 miles; Orono, ME; FT enrollment: 8,931)
- University of Maine at Augusta (about 71 miles; Augusta, ME; FT enrollment: 3,204)
- Saint Joseph's College of Maine (about 114 miles; Standish, ME; FT enrollment: 2,010)
- University of Southern Maine (about 121 miles; Portland, ME; FT enrollment: 6,647)
- Southern Maine Community College (about 122 miles; South Portland, ME; FT enrollment: 4,666)
Notable location: Shirley Volunteer Fire Department (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Church in Shirley: Shirley United Methodist Church (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Cemetery: Shirley Mills Cemetery (1). Display/hide its location on the map
Lakes, reservoirs, and swamps: West Shirley Bog (A), Bear Pond (B), Bunker Ponds (C), Lily Pond (D), Little Ordway Pond (E), Little Wilson Deadwater (F), Ordway Pond (G), Shirley Pond (H). Display/hide their locations on the map
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Little Bennett Brook (A), Stricklin Brook (B), Shannon Brook (C), Lord Brook (D), Dennin Brook (E), Mud Pond Brook (F), Bunker Stream (G), Big Bennett Brook (H), Ordway Brook (I). Display/hide their locations on the map
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2010 was 36.1. This is significantly better than average.
Ozone [ppb] level in 2001 was 28.8. This is about average. Closest monitor was 8.9 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM2.5) [µg/m3] level in 2010 was 5.04. This is significantly better than average. Closest monitor was 8.3 miles away from the city center.
|This town:||2.0 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
No gay or lesbian households reported
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Shirley town (based on Piscataquis County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Piscataquis County:||5.24 / 10,000 pop.|
|Maine:||2.80 / 10,000 pop.|
|Piscataquis County:||4.08 / 10,000 pop.|
|Maine:||2.20 / 10,000 pop.|
|Piscataquis County:||8.74 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||5.75 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||10.49 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||11.02 / 10,000 pop.|
5.65% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($33,622 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Penobscot County, ME||2.00% ($26,472 average AGI)|
|from Somerset County, ME||0.36% ($34,864)|
|from Cumberland County, ME||0.28% ($48,588)|
6.17% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($27,622 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Shirley:
- WSKW (1160 AM; 10 kW; SKOWHEGAN, ME; Owner: MOUNTAIN WIRELESS, INCORPORATED)
- WZON (620 AM; 5 kW; BANGOR, ME; Owner: THE ZONE CORPORATION)
- WTME (780 AM; 10 kW; RUMFORD, ME; Owner: MOUNTAIN VALLEY BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WABI (910 AM; 5 kW; BANGOR, ME; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WRKO (680 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WCHP (760 AM; 35 kW; CHAMPLAIN, NY; Owner: CHAMPLAIN RADIO, INC.)
- WEEI (850 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WNNZ (640 AM; 50 kW; WESTFIELD, MA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WCRN (830 AM; 50 kW; WORCESTER, MA; Owner: CARTER BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WBZ (1030 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WKOX (1200 AM; 50 kW; FRAMINGHAM, MA; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WALE (990 AM; 50 kW; GREENVILLE, RI; Owner: NORTH AMERICAN BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- WGY (810 AM; 50 kW; SCHENECTADY, NY; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Shirley:
- WTOS-FM (105.1 FM; SKOWHEGAN, ME; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WQCB (106.5 FM; BREWER, ME; Owner: CUMULUS LICENSING CORP.)
- WGUY (102.1 FM; DEXTER, ME; Owner: CONCORD MEDIA GROUP, INC.)
- WVOM (103.9 FM; HOWLAND, ME; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WDME-FM (103.1 FM; DOVER-FOXCROFT, ME; Owner: THE ZONE CORPORATION)
- National Bridge Inventory (NBI) Statistics
- 1Number of bridges
- 1m3ftTotal length
- 337Total average daily traffic
- 16Total average daily truck traffic
- 506Total future (year 2033) average daily traffic
FAA Registered Aircraft:1
- Aircraft: FREEMAN MYRON PT 2 (Category: Land, Seats: 2, Weight: Up to 12,499 Pounds), Engine: SUBARU EA-81 (100 HP) (Reciprocating)
N-Number: 43579 , Serial Number: PT1162, Year manufactured: 1992, Airworthiness Date: 08/18/2006
Registrant (Individual): Mark T Horn, Po Box 61, Shirley, ME 04485
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (74%)
- Wood (21%)
- Electricity (4%)
Shirley compared to Maine state average:
- Unemployed percentage significantly below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age significantly above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Renting percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
- Number of college students significantly below state average.