|Median resident age:||43.5 years|
|Kentucky median age:||35.9 years|
Zip code: 40119
Short Creek CCD income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2012: $90,507 (it was $63,500 in 2000)
- White alone - 2,195 (99.2%)
- Hispanic - 8 (0.4%)
- Two or more races - 5 (0.2%)
- Asian alone - 3 (0.1%)
- American Indian alone - 1 (0.05%)
Current Local Time: CST time zone
Elevation: 592 feet
Land area: 109.9 square miles.
|Population density: 21 people per square mile||(very low).|
For population 25 years and over in Short Creek:
- High school or higher: 70.5%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 9.5%
- Graduate or professional degree: 5.1%
- Unemployed: 6.5%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 34.1 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Short Creek CCD:
- Never married: 17.5%
- Now married: 68.8%
- Separated: 1.4%
- Widowed: 7.1%
- Divorced: 6.5%
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|Short Creek CCD:||0.5% ($308)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Owensboro, KY (35.9 miles , pop. 54,067).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Louisville, KY (61.9 miles , pop. 256,231).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Chicago, IL (302.2 miles , pop. 2,896,016).
Nearest cities: Caneyville, KY (3.1 miles ), Horse Branch, KY (3.5 miles ), Fordsville, KY (3.5 miles ), Leitchfield, KY (3.6 miles ), Hardinsburg, KY (3.9 miles ), Rosine, KY (3.9 miles) , Clarkson, KY (4.1 miles ), Welchs Creek, KY (4.3 miles ).
Latitude: 37.56 N, Longitude: 86.51 W
Area code commonly used in this area: 270
- Construction (17%)
- Metal and metal products (10%)
- Truck transportation (8%)
- Miscellaneous manufacturing (6%)
- Repair and maintenance (6%)
- Wood products (4%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (4%)
- Health care (20%)
- Transportation equipment (9%)
- Food and beverage stores (7%)
- Educational services (7%)
- Finance and insurance (5%)
- Real estate and rental and leasing (4%)
- Construction (4%)
- Driver/sales workers and truck drivers (13%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (12%)
- Electrical equipment mechanics and other installation, maintenance, and repair occupations including supervisors (9%)
- Assemblers and fabricators (8%)
- Vehicle and mobile equipment mechanics, installers, and repairers (6%)
- Metal workers and plastic workers (6%)
- Laborers and material movers, hand (5%)
- Assemblers and fabricators (9%)
- Registered nurses (8%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (8%)
- Other management occupations except farmers and farm managers (8%)
- Bookkeeping, accounting, and auditing clerks (6%)
- Cashiers (4%)
- Information and record clerks except customer service representatives (4%)
Average climate in Short Creek, Kentucky
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Short Creek-area historical tornado activity is slightly above Kentucky state average. It is 53% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 4/3/1974, a category F5 (max. wind speeds 261-318 mph) tornado 11.5 miles away from the Short Creek place center killed 31 people and injured 270 people and caused between $500,000 and $5,000,000 in damages.
On 4/3/1974, a category F4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 10.5 miles away from the place center injured 2 people.
Earthquake activity:Short Creek-area historical earthquake activity is near Kentucky state average. It is 76% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 4/18/2008 at 09:36:59, a magnitude 5.4 (5.1 MB, 4.8 MS, 5.4 MW, 5.2 MW, Depth: 8.9 mi, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 96.9 miles away from the city center
On 6/18/2002 at 17:37:15, a magnitude 5.0 (4.3 MB, 4.6 MW, 5.0 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 75.3 miles away from Short Creek center
On 6/10/1987 at 23:48:54, a magnitude 5.1 (4.9 MB, 4.4 MS, 4.6 MS, 5.1 LG) earthquake occurred 114.6 miles away from the city center
On 7/27/1980 at 18:52:21, a magnitude 5.2 (5.1 MB, 4.7 MS, 5.0 UK, 5.2 UK) earthquake occurred 147.0 miles away from the city center
On 4/18/2008 at 15:14:16, a magnitude 4.8 (4.5 MB, 4.8 MW, 4.6 MW, Depth: 6.2 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 96.3 miles away from Short Creek center
On 9/26/1990 at 13:18:51, a magnitude 5.0 (4.7 MB, 4.8 LG, 5.0 LG, Depth: 7.7 mi) earthquake occurred 168.5 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Grayson County (17) is greater than the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 15
Emergencies Declared: 2
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 10, Storms: 10, Tornadoes: 7, Winter Storms: 4, Mudslides: 3, Snows: 2, Blizzard: 1, Freeze: 1, Hurricane: 1, Wind: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Hospitals and medical centers near Short Creek:
- FORDSVILLE NURSING AND REHABILITATION CENTER (Nursing Home, about 13 miles away; FORDSVILLE, KY)
- TWIN LAKES HOME HEALTH (Home Health Center, about 14 miles away; LEITCHFIELD, KY)
- TWIN LAKES REGIONAL MEDICAL CENTER Acute Care Hospitals (about 14 miles away; LEITCHFIELD, KY)
- LEITCHFIELD DIALYSIS (Dialysis Facility, about 14 miles away; LEITCHFIELD, KY)
- MEDCO CENTER OF HARDINSBURG (Nursing Home, about 15 miles away; HARDINSBURG, KY)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Short Creek:
- Owensboro Community and Technical College (about 34 miles; Owensboro, KY; Full-time enrollment: 2,754)
- Elizabethtown Community and Technical College (about 37 miles; Elizabethtown, KY; FT enrollment: 3,762)
- Southcentral Kentucky Community and Technical College (about 41 miles; Bowling Green, KY; FT enrollment: 2,794)
- Western Kentucky University (about 41 miles; Bowling Green, KY; FT enrollment: 16,942)
- Madisonville Community College (about 57 miles; Madisonville, KY; FT enrollment: 2,082)
- University of Louisville (about 61 miles; Louisville, KY; FT enrollment: 16,640)
- University of Evansville (about 63 miles; Evansville, IN; FT enrollment: 2,688)
Notable locations in Short Creek: Fentrees Lookout (A), Falls of Rough Volunteer Fire Department Station 2 Water Rescue (B), Falls of Rough Volunteer Fire Department (C). Display/hide their locations on the map
Churches in Short Creek include: Free Zion Church (A), Lone Hill Church (B), Lone Star Church (C), McGrady Creek Church (D), New Hope Church (E), Pilgrim Church (F), Pine Knob Primitive Baptist Church (G), Pleasant Run Church (H), Stones View Church (I). Display/hide their locations on the map
Cemeteries: The Bend Cemetery (1), Thomason Cemetery (2), Mahurin Cemetery (3), Prewitt Cemetery (4), Porters Cemetery (5), Payton Cemetery (6), Patterson Cemetery (7). Display/hide their locations on the map
Lakes and reservoirs: Horseshoe Pond (A), Pine Knob Lake (B), Rough River Reservoir (C). Display/hide their locations on the map
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Dry Fork (A), Ashcraft Branch (B), Blaine Run (C), Diamond Branch (D), Walter Creek (E), Cave Creek (F), Spring Fork (G), Pine Knob Creek (H), Short Creek (I). Display/hide their locations on the map
Park in Short Creek: Rough River Dam State Park (1). Display/hide its location on the map
|This place:||2.4 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.2% of all households
- Gay men: 0.1% of all households
Residents with income below the poverty level in 2009:
Residents with income below 50% of the poverty level in 2009:
Short Creek compared to Kentucky state average:
- Median house value below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Renting percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
- Number of college students below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher below state average.
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Electricity (42%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (41%)
- Wood (14%)
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (2%)
- Utility gas (1%)
Religion statistics for Short Creek CCD (based on Grayson County data)Percentage of population affiliated with a religious congregations: 35.43%
Breakdown of population affiliated with a religious congregations
|Name||Southern Baptist Convention||Catholic Church||United Methodist Church||Churches of Christ||Christian Churches and Churches of Christ|
|Name||Old Missionary Baptists Associations||Church of God (Cleveland, Tennessee)||Cumberland Presbyterian Church||Church of God of Prophecy||Other|
Tables represent county-level data.
Food Environment Statistics:
|Grayson County:||3.56 / 10,000 pop.|
|Kentucky:||2.19 / 10,000 pop.|
|This county:||0.40 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||0.25 / 10,000 pop.|
|Grayson County:||1.98 / 10,000 pop.|
|Kentucky:||0.74 / 10,000 pop.|
|Grayson County:||7.11 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||4.36 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||3.56 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||5.74 / 10,000 pop.|
4.66% of this county's 2006 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 200529,167 ($ average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2005 and 2006.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2005 and 2006:
|from Jefferson County, KY||0.74% ($35,063 average AGI)|
|from Hardin County, KY||0.67% ($26,158)|
|from Breckinridge County, KY||0.42% ($24,611)|
4.84% of this county's 2005 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 200627,613 ($ average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2005 and 2006.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2005 and 2006:
Strongest AM radio stations in Short Creek:
- WHAS (840 AM; 50 kW; LOUISVILLE, KY; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WSM (650 AM; 50 kW; NASHVILLE, TN; Owner: GAYLORD ENTERTAINMENT COMPANY)
- WKDA (1200 AM; 50 kW; NASHVILLE, TN; Owner: RADIO NASHVILLE, INC.)
- WAMB (1160 AM; 50 kW; DONELSON, TN; Owner: GREAT SOUTHERN BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- WNQM (1300 AM; 50 kW; NASHVILLE, TN; Owner: WNQM. INC.)
- WLAC (1510 AM; 50 kW; NASHVILLE, TN; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WKCT (930 AM; 5 kW; BOWLING GREEN, KY; Owner: DAILY NEWS BROADCASTING CO.)
- WMTL (870 AM; daytime; 1 kW; LEITCHFIELD, KY; Owner: HERITAGE MEDIA OF KENTUCKY INC)
- WKCM (1160 AM; 3 kW; HAWESVILLE, KY; Owner: HANCOCK COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WVJS (1420 AM; 5 kW; OWENSBORO, KY; Owner: TSB III, LLC)
- WLW (700 AM; 50 kW; CINCINNATI, OH; Owner: JACOR BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WKJK (1080 AM; 10 kW; LOUISVILLE, KY; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WKVL (850 AM; daytime; 50 kW; KNOXVILLE, TN; Owner: HORNE RADIO, LLC)
Strongest FM radio stations in Short Creek:
- WBFI (91.5 FM; MCDANIELS, KY; Owner: BETHEL FELLOWSHIP, INC.)
- WLME (102.9 FM; CANNELTON, IN; Owner: HANCOCK COMMUNICATIONS, INC)
- WBKR (92.5 FM; OWENSBORO, KY; Owner: REGENT BROADCASTING OF EVANSVILLE/OWENSBORO, INC.)
- WXBC (104.3 FM; HARDINSBURG, KY; Owner: BRECKINRIDGE BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- WKHG (104.9 FM; LEITCHFIELD, KY; Owner: HERITAGE MEDIA OF KENTUCKY INC)
- WULF (94.3 FM; HARDINSBURG, KY; Owner: SKYTOWER COMMUNICATIONS - 94.3, LLC)
- WTCJ-FM (105.7 FM; TELL CITY, IN; Owner: HANCOCK COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WKLX (100.7 FM; BROWNSVILLE, KY; Owner: CHARLES M. ANDERSON)
- WQXQ (101.9 FM; CENTRAL CITY, KY; Owner: STARLIGHT BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- WASE (103.5 FM; RADCLIFF, KY; Owner: W & B BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WXCM (97.1 FM; HAWESVILLE, KY; Owner: WLME, INC.)
- WXMZ (106.3 FM; HARTFORD, KY; Owner: STARLIGHT BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
TV broadcast stations around Short Creek:
- W62CJ (Channel 62; JACKSON, TN; Owner: MS COMMUNICATIONS, LLC)
- WKGB-TV (Channel 53; BOWLING GREEN, KY; Owner: KENTUCKY AUTHORITY FOR EDUCATIONAL TV)
FCC Registered Antenna Towers: 12 (See the full list of FCC Registered Antenna Towers)
Short Creek on our top lists:
- #36 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of males in occupations: Life, physical, and social science technicians"