|Median resident age:||39.1 years|
|Mississippi median age:||35.1 years|
Zip codes: 39166.
Silver City town income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2012: $52,091 (it was $42,500 in 2000)
Median gross rent in 2012: $193.
- Black alone - 244 (72.4%)
- White alone - 90 (26.7%)
- Asian alone - 3 (0.9%)
Latest news from Silver City, MS collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: United States (18.0%), French (2.1%), German (2.1%), English (1.5%).
Current Local Time: CST time zone
Elevation: 111 feet
Land area: 0.61 square miles.
Population density: 508 people per square mile(low).
For population 25 years and over in Silver City:
- High school or higher: 64.3%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 12.9%
- Graduate or professional degree: 4.2%
- Unemployed: 14.3%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 29.5 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Silver City town:
- Never married: 35.9%
- Now married: 33.0%
- Separated: 11.2%
- Widowed: 5.4%
- Divorced: 14.5%
According to our research of Mississippi and other state lists there was 1 registered sex offender living in Silver City, Mississippi as of May 04, 2015.
The ratio of number of residents in Silver City to the number of sex offenders is 317 to 1.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with mortgages in 2012: $482 (0.8%)
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with no mortgage in 2012: $199 (0.4%)
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Jackson, MS (56.2 miles , pop. 184,256).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Memphis, TN (143.1 miles , pop. 650,100).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Dallas, TX (365.7 miles , pop. 1,188,580).
Nearest cities: Belzoni, MS (2.4 miles ), Louise, MS (3.1 miles ), Eden, MS (3.5 miles) , Isola, MS (3.6 miles ), Tchula, MS (4.1 miles ), Yazoo City, MS (4.2 miles ), Inverness, MS (4.3 miles ), Anguilla, MS (4.6 miles ).
Latitude: 33.10 N, Longitude: 90.50 W
Area code commonly used in this area: 662
Unemployment by year (%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (28%)
- Construction (28%)
- Manufacturing (21%)
- Accommodation and food services (13%)
- Wholesale trade (10%)
- Mining, quarrying, and oil and gas extraction (0%)
- Retail trade (0%)
- Educational services (33%)
- Retail trade (19%)
- Health care and social assistance (19%)
- Manufacturing (11%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (8%)
- Professional, scientific, and technical services (8%)
- Mining, quarrying, and oil and gas extraction (0%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (22%)
- Farmers and farm managers (14%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (14%)
- Other management occupations except farmers and farm managers (11%)
- Electrical equipment mechanics and other installation, maintenance, and repair occupations including supervisors (8%)
- Religious workers (5%)
- Other office and administrative support workers including supervisors (5%)
- Food processing workers (15%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (14%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (12%)
- Preschool, kindergarten, elementary and middle school teachers (8%)
- Bus drivers (8%)
- Special education teachers (6%)
- Waiters and waitresses (6%)
Average climate in Silver City, Mississippi
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Silver City-area historical tornado activity is slightly above Mississippi state average. It is 122% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 3/9/1992, a category F4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 8.4 miles away from the Silver City town center injured one person and caused between $50,000 and $500,000 in damages.
On 2/21/1971, a category F5 (max. wind speeds 261-318 mph) tornado 37.9 miles away from the town center killed 47 people and injured 510 people and caused between $5,000,000 and $50,000,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Silver City-area historical earthquake activity is near Mississippi state average. It is 78% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 3/25/1976 at 00:41:20, a magnitude 5.0 (4.9 MB, 5.0 LG, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 176.1 miles away from the city center
On 1/18/1999 at 07:00:53, a magnitude 4.8 (4.8 MB, 4.0 LG, Depth: 0.6 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 188.7 miles away from Silver City center
On 1/21/1982 at 00:33:54, a magnitude 4.7 (4.5 MB, 4.7 LG, 4.5 LG) earthquake occurred 173.8 miles away from the city center
On 5/4/2001 at 06:42:12, a magnitude 4.7 (4.2 MB, 4.7 LG, 4.5 LG, Depth: 6.2 mi) earthquake occurred 175.3 miles away from the city center
On 5/4/1991 at 01:18:54, a magnitude 5.0 (4.4 MB, 4.6 LG, 5.0 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 242.9 miles away from Silver City center
On 10/24/1997 at 08:35:17, a magnitude 4.9 (4.8 MB, 4.2 MS, 4.9 LG, Depth: 6.2 mi) earthquake occurred 233.0 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), surface-wave magnitude (MS)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Humphreys County (11) is near the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 9
Emergencies Declared: 2
Causes of natural disasters: Tornadoes: 6, Floods: 5, Storms: 5, Freezes: 2, Drought: 1, Heavy Rain: 1, Hurricane: 1, Winter Storm: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Birthplace of: Spencer Haywood - Basketball player, Jack Reed (baseball) - Baseball player.
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Silver City:
- Mississippi Delta Community College (about 25 miles; Moorhead, MS; Full-time enrollment: 2,100)
- Mississippi Valley State University (about 31 miles; Itta Bena, MS; FT enrollment: 2,233)
- Holmes Community College (about 35 miles; Goodman, MS; FT enrollment: 5,352)
- Delta State University (about 47 miles; Cleveland, MS; FT enrollment: 3,304)
- Mississippi College (about 54 miles; Clinton, MS; FT enrollment: 3,919)
- Belhaven University (about 57 miles; Jackson, MS; FT enrollment: 3,147)
- Jackson State University (about 58 miles; Jackson, MS; FT enrollment: 7,485)
Notable location: Silver City Country Club (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Church in Silver City: Shiloh Church (A). Display/hide its location on the map
(40.0% for White Non-Hispanic residents, 40.7% for Black residents)
|This town:||2.7 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
No gay or lesbian households reported
Silver City compared to Mississippi state average:
- Median house value below state average.
- Black race population percentage above state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in above state average.
- Number of rooms per house below state average.
- House age below state average.
- Number of college students below state average.
Educational Attainment (%) in 2012
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2012
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (62%)
- Electricity (37%)
Religion statistics for Silver City town (based on Humphreys County data)Percentage of population affiliated with a religious congregations: 35.79%
Breakdown of population affiliated with a religious congregations
|Name||Southern Baptist Convention||United Methodist Church||Presbyterian Church in America||Baptist Missionary Association of America||Other|
Tables represent county-level data.
Food Environment Statistics:
|Humphreys County:||3.00 / 10,000 pop.|
|Mississippi:||2.08 / 10,000 pop.|
|Humphreys County:||1.00 / 10,000 pop.|
|Mississippi:||0.80 / 10,000 pop.|
|Humphreys County:||6.00 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||6.36 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||3.00 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||5.03 / 10,000 pop.|
|Local government employment and payroll (March 2012)|
|Function||Full-time employees||Monthly full-time payroll||Average yearly full-time wage||Part-time employees||Monthly part-time payroll|
|Totals for Government||0||$0||1||$2,246|
5.60% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($19,708 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Yazoo County, MS||0.79% ($22,000 average AGI)|
|from Sunflower County, MS||0.72% ($18,455)|
|from Hinds County, MS||0.65% ($14,600)|
7.03% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($19,894 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Silver City:
- WELZ (1460 AM; daytime; 1 kW; BELZONI, MS; Owner: ZOO-BEL BROADCASTING, LLC)
- WJNT (1180 AM; 50 kW; PEARL, MS; Owner: BUCHANAN BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- WXTN (1000 AM; daytime; 5 kW; LEXINGTON, MS; Owner: BRAD MAURICE COTHRAN)
- WSJC (810 AM; 50 kW; MAGEE, MS; Owner: FAMILY TALK RADIO)
- WCPC (940 AM; 50 kW; HOUSTON, MS; Owner: WCPC BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- WCRV (640 AM; 50 kW; COLLIERVILLE, TN; Owner: BOTT BROADCASTING COMPANY/TENNESSEE)
- WJDX (620 AM; 5 kW; JACKSON, MS; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WIIN (780 AM; daytime; 5 kW; RIDGELAND, MS; Owner: NEW SOUTH RADIO, INC)
- WTWZ (1120 AM; daytime; 8 kW; CLINTON, MS; Owner: WOOD BROADCASTING CO.)
- KGHT (880 AM; 50 kW; SHERIDAN, AR; Owner: METROPOLITAN RADIO GROUP, INC.)
- KAAY (1090 AM; 50 kW; LITTLE ROCK, AR; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WGSF (1030 AM; 50 kW; MEMPHIS, TN; Owner: FLINN BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WDIA (1070 AM; 50 kW; MEMPHIS, TN; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Silver City:
- WBYP (107.1 FM; BELZONI, MS; Owner: ZOO-BEL BROADCASTING, LLC)
- WMAO-FM (90.9 FM; GREENWOOD, MS; Owner: MISSISSIPPI AUTHORITY FOR EDUCATIONAL TV)
- WYMX (99.1 FM; GREENWOOD, MS; Owner: TELESOUTH COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WMSI-FM (102.9 FM; JACKSON, MS; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WDBT (95.5 FM; JACKSON, MS; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WAGR-FM (102.5 FM; LEXINGTON, MS; Owner: BRAD MAURICE COTHRAN)
- WJNS-FM (92.1 FM; YAZOO CITY, MS; Owner: WILLIS BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WGNG (106.3 FM; TCHULA, MS; Owner: TEAM BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- WYAB (93.1 FM; YAZOO CITY, MS; Owner: SSR COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WYJS (105.9 FM; PICKENS, MS; Owner: URBAN RADIO OF MISSISSIPPI, LLC)
- WGNL (104.3 FM; GREENWOOD, MS; Owner: TEAM BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
TV broadcast stations around Silver City:
- WABG-TV (Channel 6; GREENWOOD, MS; Owner: MISSISSIPPI BROADCASTING PARTNERS)
- WMAO-TV (Channel 23; GREENWOOD, MS; Owner: MISSISSIPPI AUTHORITY FOR EDUCATIONAL TV)
- WLBT (Channel 3; JACKSON, MS; Owner: CIVCO, INC.)
- WDBD (Channel 40; JACKSON, MS; Owner: WDBD LICENSE CORP.)
- WXVT (Channel 15; GREENVILLE, MS; Owner: SAGA BROADCASTING, LLC)
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 7
|Most common first names in Silver City, MS among deceased individuals|
|Most common last names in Silver City, MS among deceased individuals|
|Last name||Count||Lived (average)|