|Median resident age:||41.0 years|
|Washington median age:||35.3 years|
Zip code: 98612
Skamokawa CCD income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2012: $134,425 (it was $105,400 in 2000)
- White alone - 489 (94.2%)
- Hispanic - 15 (2.9%)
- Two or more races - 8 (1.5%)
- American Indian alone - 6 (1.2%)
- Asian alone - 1 (0.2%)
Current Local Time: PST time zone
Elevation: 26 feet
Land area: 126.4 square miles.
Population density: 4.3 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Skamokawa:
- High school or higher: 73.7%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 0.0%
- Graduate or professional degree: 0.0%
- Unemployed: 17.1%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 32.4 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Skamokawa CCD:
- Never married: 11.9%
- Now married: 62.8%
- Separated: 3.7%
- Widowed: 8.0%
- Divorced: 17.4%
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|Skamokawa CCD:||1.0% ($1,079)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Hillsboro, OR (55.6 miles , pop. 70,186).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Portland, OR (61.9 miles , pop. 529,121).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Los Angeles, CA (882.7 miles , pop. 3,694,820).
Nearest cities: Upper Elochoman, WA (1.7 miles) , Skamokawa Valley, WA (2.1 miles ), Lower Elochoman, WA (2.2 miles) , Cathlamet-Elochoman, WA (2.5 miles ), Cathlamet, WA (2.5 miles ), East Cathlamet, WA (2.5 miles ), Puget Island, WA (2.8 miles ), Westport, OR (3.3 miles ).
Latitude: 46.28 N, Longitude: 123.32 W
Area code commonly used in this area: 360
Unemployment by year (%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (25%)
- Public administration (17%)
- Construction (11%)
- Accommodation and food services (8%)
- Repair and maintenance (8%)
- Wood products (6%)
- Water transportation (6%)
- Accommodation and food services (14%)
- Finance and insurance (12%)
- Social assistance (12%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (11%)
- Food and beverage stores (10%)
- Public administration (10%)
- Broadcasting and telecommunications (7%)
- Fishing and hunting, and forest and logging workers (20%)
- Vehicle and mobile equipment mechanics, installers, and repairers (13%)
- Law enforcement workers including supervisors (11%)
- Electrical equipment mechanics and other installation, maintenance, and repair occupations including supervisors (8%)
- Material recording, scheduling, dispatching, and distributing workers (6%)
- Rail and water transportation workers (6%)
- Other management occupations except farmers and farm managers (6%)
- Customer service representatives (23%)
- Other office and administrative support workers including supervisors (12%)
- Bookkeeping, accounting, and auditing clerks (11%)
- Information and record clerks except customer service representatives (10%)
- Top executives (7%)
- Food and beverage serving workers except waiters/waitresses (7%)
- Other teachers and instructors, education, training, and library occupations (6%)
Average climate in Skamokawa, Washington
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Earthquake activity:Skamokawa-area historical earthquake activity is slightly above Washington state average. It is 172% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 4/13/1949 at 19:55:42, a magnitude 7.0 (7.0 UK, Class: Major, Intensity: VIII - XII) earthquake occurred 77.4 miles away from the city center, causing $80,000,000 total damage
On 2/28/2001 at 18:54:32, a magnitude 6.8 (6.5 MB, 6.6 MS, 6.8 MW, Depth: 32.2 mi, Class: Strong, Intensity: VII - IX) earthquake occurred 66.0 miles away from Skamokawa center, causing $2,000,000,000 total damage and $305,000,000 insured losses
On 4/29/1965 at 15:28:43, a magnitude 6.6 (6.6 UK) earthquake occurred 85.4 miles away from the city center, causing $28,000,000 total damage
On 1/31/1922 at 13:17:28, a magnitude 7.6 (7.6 UK) earthquake occurred 402.0 miles away from the city center
On 8/17/1991 at 22:17:14, a magnitude 7.1 (6.2 MB, 7.1 MS, 7.1 MW, 6.8 ML, Depth: 8.4 mi) earthquake occurred 333.3 miles away from Skamokawa center
On 7/3/1999 at 01:43:54, a magnitude 5.8 (5.4 MB, 5.5 MS, 5.8 MW, 5.3 ME, Depth: 25.2 mi, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 53.9 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: body-wave magnitude (MB), energy magnitude (ME), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Wahkiakum County (19) is greater than the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 18
Emergencies Declared: 1
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 13, Storms: 11, Mudslides: 7, Landslides: 6, Winter Storms: 4, Winds: 2, Earthquake: 1, Heavy Rain: 1, Hurricane: 1, Snow: 1, Volcanic Eruption: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Airports located in Skamokawa:
- Skamokawa East Valley Airport (Runways: 1)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Skamokawa:
- Lower Columbia College (about 21 miles; Longview, WA; Full-time enrollment: 2,595)
- Centralia College (about 35 miles; Centralia, WA; FT enrollment: 2,354)
- Pacific University (about 54 miles; Forest Grove, OR; FT enrollment: 2,967)
- South Puget Sound Community College (about 55 miles; Olympia, WA; FT enrollment: 3,981)
- Clark College (about 56 miles; Vancouver, WA; FT enrollment: 9,330)
- University of Portland (about 57 miles; Portland, OR; FT enrollment: 4,030)
- The Evergreen State College (about 58 miles; Olympia, WA; FT enrollment: 4,613)
Notable locations in Skamokawa: Camp 2 (A), Family Camp (B), Incline Lookout (C), Elochoman Hatchery (D), Wahkiakum County Fairgrounds (E), Harper (F), Redmen Hall and River Life Interpretive Center (G), Wahkiakum Fire District 2 Skamokawa Fire Department (H). Display/hide their locations on the map
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Alger Creek (A), Bell Canyon Creek (B), Brooks Slough (C), Clear Creek (D), Duck Creek (E), East Fork Elochoman River (F), Ellison Slough (G), Elochoman Slough (H), Falk Creek (I). Display/hide their locations on the map
Park in Skamokawa: Columbian White-Tailed Deer National Wildlife Refuge (1). Display/hide its location on the map
Tourist attraction: Friends of Skamokawa Redmen Ha (Cultural Attractions- Events- & Facilities; 1394 West State Road 4) (1). Display/hide its approximate location on the map
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2004 was 21.9. This is significantly better than average.
Particulate Matter (PM10) [µg/m3] level in 2004 was 17.4. This is about average. Closest monitor was 21.2 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM2.5) [µg/m3] level in 2002 was 9.28. This is about average. Closest monitor was 19.3 miles away from the city center.
|This place:||2.6 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
No gay or lesbian households reported
Residents with income below the poverty level in 2009:
Residents with income below 50% of the poverty level in 2009:
Skamokawa compared to Washington state average:
- Median house value significantly below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age significantly above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Renting percentage below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
- Number of college students significantly below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher significantly below state average.
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Wood (43%)
- Electricity (39%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (15%)
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (4%)
Religion statistics for Skamokawa CCD (based on Wahkiakum County data)Percentage of population affiliated with a religious congregations: 24.56%
Breakdown of population affiliated with a religious congregations
|Name||Catholic Church||Evangelical Lutheran Church in America||United Methodist Church||Christian and Missionary Alliance||Other|
Tables represent county-level data.
Food Environment Statistics:
|Wahkiakum County:||2.48 / 10,000 pop.|
|Washington:||2.06 / 10,000 pop.|
|Wahkiakum County:||7.43 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||2.67 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||12.38 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||8.26 / 10,000 pop.|
7.49% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($68,102 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Cowlitz County, WA||2.08% ($29,900 average AGI)|
6.59% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($44,947 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Skamokawa:
- KPAM (860 AM; 50 kW; TROUTDALE, OR; Owner: PAMPLIN BROADCASTING-OREGON, INC.)
- KPOJ (620 AM; 50 kW; PORTLAND, OR; Owner: CITICASTERS LICENSES, L.P.)
- KXL (750 AM; 50 kW; PORTLAND, OR; Owner: ROSE CITY RADIO CORPORATION)
- KBAM (1270 AM; 5 kW; LONGVIEW, WA; Owner: ENTERCOM LONGVIEW LICENSE, LLC)
- KOTK (1080 AM; 50 kW; PORTLAND, OR; Owner: FISHER BROADCASTING - PORTLAND RADIO, L.L.C.)
- KAST (1370 AM; 10 kW; ASTORIA, OR; Owner: NEW NORTHWEST BROADCASTERS, LLC)
- KKAD (1550 AM; 50 kW; VANCOUVER, WA; Owner: PAMPLIN BROADCASTING-WASHINGTON, INC)
- KIRO (710 AM; 50 kW; SEATTLE, WA; Owner: ENTERCOM SEATTLE LICENSE, LLC)
- KEX (1190 AM; 50 kW; PORTLAND, OR; Owner: CITICASTERS LICENSES, L.P.)
- KJR (950 AM; 50 kW; SEATTLE, WA)
- KTTH (770 AM; 50 kW; SEATTLE, WA; Owner: ENTERCOM SEATTLE LICENSE, LLC)
- KGNW (820 AM; 50 kW; BURIEN-SEATTLE, WA; Owner: INSPIRATION MEDIA, INC.)
- KKSN (1520 AM; 50 kW; OREGON CITY, OR; Owner: ENTERCOM PORTLAND LICENSE, LLC)
Strongest FM radio stations in Skamokawa:
- K216DH (91.1 FM; CATHLAMET, WA; Owner: TILLICUM FOUNDATION)
- KMNT (102.9 FM; CENTRALIA, WA; Owner: CITICASTERS LICENSES, L.P.)
- KRQT (107.1 FM; CASTLE ROCK, WA; Owner: ENTERCOM LONGVIEW LICENSE, LLC)
- K273AI (102.5 FM; ARIEL, WA; Owner: CALVARY CHAPEL OF TWIN FALLS, INC.)
- K220HE (91.9 FM; CHEHALIS, WA; Owner: CALVARY CHAPEL OF TWIN FALLS, INC.)
- KFMY (97.7 FM; RAYMOND, WA; Owner: SOUTH SOUND BROADCASTING, LLC)
- KLYK (94.5 FM; KELSO, WA; Owner: ENTERCOM LONGVIEW LICENSE, LLC)
- KITI-FM (95.1 FM; WINLOCK, WA; Owner: PREMIER BROADCASTERS, INC.)
- KMUN (91.9 FM; ASTORIA, OR; Owner: TILLICUM FOUNDATION)
- KWYA (89.7 FM; ASTORIA, OR; Owner: WAY-FM MEDIA GROUP, INC.)
- KUKN (105.5 FM; LONGVIEW, WA; Owner: WASHINGTON INTERSTATE BROADCASTING, INC.)
- KXXO (96.1 FM; OLYMPIA, WA; Owner: 3 CITIES, INC.)
- KCBZ (94.9 FM; CANNON BEACH, OR; Owner: ENTERCOM PORTLAND LICENSE, LLC)
- KWYQ (90.3 FM; LONGVIEW, WA; Owner: WAY-FM MEDIA GROUP, INC.)
- KJVH (89.5 FM; LONGVIEW, WA; Owner: FAMILY STATIONS, INC.)
- K211ET (90.1 FM; ASTORIA, OR; Owner: WORLD RADIO NETWORK, INC.)
- KAST-FM (92.9 FM; ASTORIA, OR; Owner: NEW NORTHWEST BROADCASTERS, LLC)
- KJET (105.7 FM; SOUTH BEND, WA; Owner: JODESHA BROADCASTING, INC.)
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses:7
- Call Sign: KB7NUI, Licensee ID: L00355355
Grant Date: 05/09/2001, Expiration Date: 08/06/2011
Registrant: David L Hjaltalin, 222 W Valley Rd, Skamokawa, WA 98647
- Call Sign: KC7WVJ, Licensee ID: L00515918
Grant Date: 04/02/2007, Expiration Date: 05/29/2017, Certifier: Charles D Parker
Registrant: Charles D Parker, Skamokawa, WA 98647
- Call Sign: KC7YFD, Licensee ID: L01275480
Grant Date: 04/25/2007, Expiration Date: 06/18/2017, Certifier: Levi D Helms
Registrant: Levi D Helms, 66 E Valley Rd, Skamokawa, WA 98647
- Call Sign: N7RHJ
Grant Date: 07/15/1994, Expiration Date: 04/30/2001, Cancellation Date: 05/01/2003
Registrant: George W Gray, Skamokawa, WA 98647-0134
- Call Sign: KE7WFM, Licensee ID: L01434534
Grant Date: 10/02/2008, Expiration Date: 10/02/2018, Certifier: Kathleen Morgain
Registrant: Kathleen Morgain, Skamokawa, WA 98647
- Call Sign: KE7WFN, Licensee ID: L01435113
Grant Date: 10/02/2008, Expiration Date: 10/02/2018, Certifier: Steven Morgain
Registrant: Steven Morgain, Skamokawa, WA 98647
- Call Sign: KF7DLM, Licensee ID: L01501490
Grant Date: 06/25/2009, Expiration Date: 06/25/2019, Certifier: Darren C Droullard
Registrant: Darren C Droullard, 18 Vaughn Rd, Skamokawa, WA 98647
FAA Registered Aircraft:2
- Aircraft: CESSNA 180 (Category: Land, Seats: 4, Weight: Up to 12,499 Pounds, Speed: 121 mph), Engine: CONT MOTOR O-470 SERIES (230 HP) (Reciprocating)
N-Number: 2978C , Serial Number: 30878, Year manufactured: 1954, Airworthiness Date: 06/06/1955
Registrant (Individual): Albert R Holmquist, 299 E Valley Rd, Skamokawa, WA 98647
- Aircraft: CESSNA 170B (Category: Land, Seats: 4, Weight: Up to 12,499 Pounds, Speed: 105 mph), Engine: CONT MOTOR C145 SERIES (145 HP) (Reciprocating)
N-Number: 3166A , Serial Number: 25810, Year manufactured: 1953, Airworthiness Date: 11/04/1955
Registrant (Individual): Kyle O Gribskov, 123 Middle Valley Rd, Skamokawa, WA 98647
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 2