Smithland: The Old Court House
Smithland: The New Livingston County Justice Center
Smithland: Old Bank Building Smithland KY
Smithland: Historic Gower House On River
Smithland: New Livingston County Justice Center Smithland KY
Smithland: Gower House Smithland KY
Smithland: Old Bank Building Smithland KY
Smithland: Historical Landmark built in 1950
Smithland: Tinsleys Dairy King Drive-in
Submit your own pictures of this city and show them to the World
|Median resident age:||36.5 years|
|Kentucky median age:||38.5 years|
Zip codes: 42081.
Estimated per capita income in 2013: $16,560 (it was $16,751 in 2000)
Smithland city income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2013: $73,303 (it was $53,300 in 2000)
Median gross rent in 2013: $571.
Races in Smithland, KY (2010)
- 29798.7%White alone
- 20.7%Two or more races
- 10.3%American Indian alone
|Is anyone going to "The World's Longest Yard Sale" (5 replies)|
|Types of Fish (6 replies)|
|State education chief ordered car with $13,000 in extras (17 replies)|
|I'm moving to kentucky. (7 replies)|
|Thinking of relocating to Grandriver KY (4 replies)|
Latest news from Smithland, KY collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: United States (25.4%), Irish (17.2%), English (12.0%), German (7.6%), Dutch (2.6%), Polish (2.3%).
Current Local Time: CST time zone
Incorporated on 03/08/1843
Elevation: 344 feet
Land area: 0.62 square miles.
Population density: 481 people per square mile(low).
For population 25 years and over in Smithland:
- High school or higher: 73.4%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 11.5%
- Graduate or professional degree: 3.8%
- Unemployed: 2.3%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 19.6 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Smithland city:
- Never married: 27.0%
- Now married: 43.6%
- Separated: 5.4%
- Widowed: 3.6%
- Divorced: 20.4%
21 residents are foreign born
According to our research of Kentucky and other state lists there was 1 registered sex offender living in Smithland, Kentucky as of October 06, 2015.
The ratio of number of residents in Smithland to the number of sex offenders is 298 to 1.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with mortgages in 2013: $664 (1.3%)
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with no mortgage in 2013: $928 (1.2%)
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Clarksville, TN (70.4 miles , pop. 103,455).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Metropolitan Government, TN (113.5 miles , pop. 569,891).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Chicago, IL (327.5 miles , pop. 2,896,016).
Nearest cities: Burna, KY (2.8 miles ), Calvert City, KY (2.8 miles ), Ledbetter, KY (2.9 miles ), Gilbertsville, KY (3.1 miles ), Reidland, KY (3.3 miles ), Woodlawn-Oakdale, KY (3.4 miles ), Farley, KY (3.4 miles ), Dycusburg, KY (3.5 miles) .
Latitude: 37.14 N, Longitude: 88.40 W
Area code: 270
Unemployment by year (%)
- Retail trade (19%)
- Administrative and support and waste management services (16%)
- Construction (11%)
- Manufacturing (11%)
- Utilities (11%)
- Other services, except public administration (10%)
- Transportation and warehousing (8%)
- Retail trade (24%)
- Health care and social assistance (22%)
- Accommodation and food services (17%)
- Educational services (10%)
- Wholesale trade (8%)
- Manufacturing (5%)
- Professional, scientific, and technical services (5%)
- Production occupations (24%)
- Construction and extraction occupations (23%)
- Sales and related occupations (18%)
- Management occupations (11%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (9%)
- Installation, maintenance, and repair occupations (5%)
- Fire fighting and prevention, and other protective service workers including supervisors (4%)
- Sales and related occupations (21%)
- Health diagnosing and treating practitioners and other technical occupations (17%)
- Office and administrative support occupations (15%)
- Food preparation and serving related occupations (9%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (9%)
- Education, training, and library occupations (8%)
- Production occupations (6%)
Average climate in Smithland, Kentucky
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Smithland-area historical tornado activity is slightly above Kentucky state average. It is 67% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 5/6/2003, a category F4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 17.2 miles away from the Smithland city center killed 2 people and injured 33 people and caused $16 million in damages.
On 3/4/1964, a category F4 tornado 21.1 miles away from the city center killed 3 people and injured 24 people and caused between $50,000 and $500,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Smithland-area historical earthquake activity is slightly above Kentucky state average. It is 73% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 4/18/2008 at 09:36:59, a magnitude 5.4 (5.1 MB, 4.8 MS, 5.4 MW, 5.2 MW, Depth: 8.9 mi, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 95.1 miles away from the city center
On 9/26/1990 at 13:18:51, a magnitude 5.0 (4.7 MB, 4.8 LG, 5.0 LG, Depth: 7.7 mi) earthquake occurred 62.4 miles away from Smithland center
On 6/18/2002 at 17:37:15, a magnitude 5.0 (4.3 MB, 4.6 MW, 5.0 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 67.8 miles away from the city center
On 5/4/1991 at 01:18:54, a magnitude 5.0 (4.4 MB, 4.6 LG, 5.0 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 88.1 miles away from the city center
On 6/10/1987 at 23:48:54, a magnitude 5.1 (4.9 MB, 4.4 MS, 4.6 MS, 5.1 LG) earthquake occurred 119.7 miles away from Smithland center
On 9/29/1987 at 00:04:56, a magnitude 4.6 (4.6 MB, 4.5 LG, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 45.0 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Livingston County (15) is greater than the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 13
Emergencies Declared: 2
Causes of natural disasters: Storms: 10, Floods: 8, Tornadoes: 4, Winter Storms: 3, Mudslides: 2, Snows: 2, Blizzard: 1, Flash Flood: 1, Freeze: 1, Hurricane: 1, Landslide: 1, Tropical Depression: 1, Wind: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Birthplace of: Samuel H. Piles - Politician.
Hospitals and medical centers near Smithland:
- RIVERFRONT TERRACE HLTH CARE FACILITY (Nursing Home, about 12 miles away; PADUCAH, KY)
- LIFE CARE CENTER OF PADUCAH (Nursing Home, about 12 miles away; PADUCAH, KY)
- FMC - SOUTH PADUCAH (Dialysis Facility, about 12 miles away; PADUCAH, KY)
- PURCHASE DISTRICT HHA (Home Health Center, about 12 miles away; PADUCAH, KY)
- LIVINGSTON HOSPITAL AND HEALTHCARE SERVICES (Home Health Center, about 13 miles away; SALEM, KY)
- SALEM SPRINGLAKE HEALTH AND REHABILITATION CENTER (Nursing Home, about 13 miles away; SALEM, KY)
- BAPTIST HEALTH PADUCAH Acute Care Hospitals (about 14 miles away; PADUCAH, KY)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Smithland:
- West Kentucky Community and Technical College (about 16 miles; Paducah, KY; Full-time enrollment: 4,107)
- Murray State University (about 37 miles; Murray, KY; FT enrollment: 8,930)
- Madisonville Community College (about 52 miles; Madisonville, KY; FT enrollment: 2,082)
- Hopkinsville Community College (about 54 miles; Hopkinsville, KY; FT enrollment: 2,269)
- John A Logan College (about 57 miles; Carterville, IL; FT enrollment: 3,995)
- Southern Illinois University-Carbondale (about 61 miles; Carbondale, IL; FT enrollment: 14,539)
- The University of Tennessee-Martin (about 61 miles; Martin, TN; FT enrollment: 7,013)
Public high school in Smithland:
- Livingston Central High School (Students: 450; Location: 750 US 60 W; Grades: 9-12)
Public elementary/middle schools in Smithland:
Notable locations in Smithland: Livingston County Ambulance Service (A), Smithland Fire and Rescue (B). Display/hide their locations on the map
Courts: Livingston County - County Court Clerk (335 Court Street), Livingston County - Circuit Court Clerk (335 Court Street).
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2012 was 88.2. This is about average.
Carbon Monoxide (CO) [ppm] level in 2000 was 0.102. This is significantly better than average. Closest monitor was 10.9 miles away from the city center.
Nitrogen Dioxide (NO2) [ppb] level in 2012 was 6.42. This is about average. Closest monitor was 6.6 miles away from the city center.
Sulfur Dioxide (SO2) [ppb] level in 2012 was 0.809. This is significantly better than average. Closest monitor was 1.2 miles away from the city center.
Ozone [ppb] level in 2012 was 37.2. This is about average. Closest monitor was 10.9 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM10) [µg/m3] level in 2012 was 15.6. This is better than average. Closest monitor was 8.0 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM2.5) [µg/m3] level in 2012 was 9.90. This is about average. Closest monitor was 13.9 miles away from the city center.
Drinking water stations with addresses in Smithland and their reported violations in the past:SMITHLAND WATER & SEWER (Population served: 882, Purch surface water):
Past health violations:
Past monitoring violations:
- MCL, Monthly (TCR) - In FEB-2008, Contaminant: Coliform. Follow-up actions: St Public Notif received (MAR-28-2008), St Public Notif requested (MAY-07-2008), St Formal NOV issued (MAY-07-2008), St Compliance achieved (AUG-07-2008)
- 2 minor monitoring violations
(21.1% for White Non-Hispanic residents)
|This city:||2.2 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.0% of all households
- Gay men: 1.5% of all households
15 people in local jails and other confinement facilities (including police lockups) in 2000
Smithland compared to Kentucky state average:
- Median house value below state average.
- Unemployed percentage significantly below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage above state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- House age above state average.
- Institutionalized population percentage significantly above state average.
- Number of college students significantly below state average.
Educational Attainment (%) in 2013
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2013
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (59%)
- Electricity (34%)
- Utility gas (6%)
- Wood (1%)
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Smithland city (based on Livingston County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Livingston County:||2.08 / 10,000 pop.|
|Kentucky:||2.19 / 10,000 pop.|
|Livingston County:||9.36 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||4.36 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||7.28 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||5.74 / 10,000 pop.|
|Local government employment and payroll (March 2012)|
|Function||Full-time employees||Monthly full-time payroll||Average yearly full-time wage||Part-time employees||Monthly part-time payroll|
|Totals for Government||4||$7,069||$21,207||0||$0|
Smithland government finances - Expenditure in 2002 (per resident):
- Construction - General: $2,000 ($6.71)
- Current Operations - Water Utilities: $141,000 ($473.15)
Central Staff Services: $27,000 ($90.60)
Fire Protection: $25,000 ($83.89)
General - Other: $2,000 ($6.71)
- General - Interest on Debt: $5,000 ($16.78)
- Other Capital Outlay - Fire Protection: $113,000 ($379.19)
Water Utilities: $83,000 ($278.52)
- Total Salaries & Wages: $141,000 ($473.15)
- Water Utilities - Interest on Debt: $0 ($0.00)
Smithland government finances - Revenue in 2002 (per resident):
- Charges - All Other: $12,000 ($40.27)
- Federal Intergovernmental - Water Utilities: $81,000 ($271.81)
- Miscellaneous - Interest Earnings: $4,000 ($13.42)
General Revenue, NEC: $4,000 ($13.42)
- Revenue - Water Utilities: $153,000 ($513.42)
- State Intergovernmental - All Other: $13,000 ($43.62)
Highways: $6,000 ($20.13)
- Tax - Property: $31,000 ($104.03)
NEC: $19,000 ($63.76)
Public Utilities: $8,000 ($26.85)
Smithland government finances - Debt in 2002 (per resident):
- Long Term Debt Beginning Outstanding, NEC: $84,000 ($281.88)
- Long Term Debt Outstanding Nonguaranteed - Other, NEC: $84,000 ($281.88)
Smithland government finances - Cash and Securities in 2002 (per resident):
- Other Funds - Cash & Deposits: $175,000 ($587.25)
7.89% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($32,308 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from McCracken County, KY||2.46% ($46,812 average AGI)|
|from Marshall County, KY||1.16% ($26,100)|
|from Crittenden County, KY||0.52% ($20,611)|
7.48% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($27,612 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Smithland:
- WPAD (1560 AM; 10 kW; PADUCAH, KY; Owner: BRISTOL BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- WCBL (1290 AM; 5 kW; BENTON, KY; Owner: JIM W. FREELAND)
- WKYX (570 AM; 1 kW; PADUCAH, KY; Owner: BRISTOL BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- WSM (650 AM; 50 kW; NASHVILLE, TN; Owner: GAYLORD ENTERTAINMENT COMPANY)
- WDXR (1450 AM; 1 kW; PADUCAH, KY; Owner: FOREVER COMMUNICATIONS INC)
- WDDD (810 AM; 10 kW; JOHNSTON CITY, IL; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WMOK (920 AM; 1 kW; METROPOLIS, IL; Owner: W. RUSSELL WITHERS, JR.)
- WKDA (1200 AM; 50 kW; NASHVILLE, TN; Owner: RADIO NASHVILLE, INC.)
- WNQM (1300 AM; 50 kW; NASHVILLE, TN; Owner: WNQM. INC.)
- WNTX (750 AM; daytime; 1 kW; BROOKPORT, IL; Owner: DANIEL S. STRATEMEYER)
- WAMB (1160 AM; 50 kW; DONELSON, TN; Owner: GREAT SOUTHERN BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- WWLK (900 AM; 1 kW; EDDYVILLE, KY; Owner: TILENT, INC.)
- WLAC (1510 AM; 50 kW; NASHVILLE, TN; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
Strongest FM radio stations in Smithland:
- WKYQ (93.3 FM; PADUCAH, KY; Owner: BRISTOL BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- WCCK (95.7 FM; CALVERT CITY, KY; Owner: JIM W. FREELAND DBA FREELAND BROADCASTING)
- WLIE-FM (94.3 FM; GOLCONDA, IL; Owner: FOREVER COMMUNICATIONS INC)
- WDDJ (96.9 FM; PADUCAH, KY; Owner: BRISTOL BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- WRIK-FM (98.3 FM; METROPOLIS, IL; Owner: SUN MEDIA, INC.)
- WZZL (106.7 FM; REIDLAND, KY; Owner: W. RUSSELL WITHERS, JR.)
- WVVR (100.3 FM; HOPKINSVILLE, KY; Owner: SAGA COMMUNICATIONS OF TUCKESSEE, LLC)
- WREZ (105.5 FM; METROPOLIS, IL; Owner: W. RUSSELL WITHERS, JR.)
- WBEL (88.5 FM; CAIRO, IL; Owner: AMERICAN FAMILY ASSOCIATION)
- WCBL-FM (99.1 FM; BENTON, KY; Owner: JIM W. FREELAND)
- WMJL-FM (102.7 FM; MARION, KY; Owner: JOEMYERS PRODUCTIONS, INC.)
- WVHM (90.5 FM; BENTON, KY; Owner: HEARTLAND MINISTRIES, INC.)
TV broadcast stations around Smithland:
- WDKA (Channel 49; PADUCAH, KY; Owner: WDKA ACQUISITION CORPORATION)
- W54AE (Channel 54; PADUCAH, KY; Owner: TRI-STATE CHRISTIAN TV, INC.)
- WPSD-TV (Channel 6; PADUCAH, KY; Owner: WPSD-TV, LLC)
- WQWQ-LP (Channel 9; PADUCAH, KY; Owner: RAYCOM AMERICA, INC.)
- WKPD (Channel 29; PADUCAH, KY; Owner: KENTUCKY AUTHORITY FOR EDUCATIONAL TV)
- WSIL-TV (Channel 3; HARRISBURG, IL; Owner: WSIL-TV, INC.)
- WKMU (Channel 21; MURRAY, KY; Owner: KENTUCKY AUTHORITY FOR EDUCATIONAL TV)
FCC Registered Antenna Towers:11 (See the full list of FCC Registered Antenna Towers in Smithland)
FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers:4
- Us 60 .3 Mi N Of Cumberland River Bridge (Lat: 37.154222 Lon: -88.397250), Call Sign: KRW356
Assigned Frequencies: 47.1400 MHz, 47.2200 MHz
Grant Date: 12/03/2003, Expiration Date: 02/21/2014
Registrant: Div. Of Equipment-Radio Section, 1239 Wilkinson Blvd., Frankfort, KY 40622, Phone: (502) 564-3820, Fax: (502) 564-3825, Email:
- Us 60 .3 Mi N Of Cumberland River (Lat: 37.154778 Lon: -88.390306), Structure height: 15 m, Call Sign: WNWQ353
Assigned Frequencies: 47.2200 MHz
Grant Date: 05/14/2011, Expiration Date: 06/20/2021
Registrant: Kytc-Div. Of Equipment, 1239 Wilkinson Blvd., Frankfort, KY 40622, Phone: (502) 564-3820, Fax: (502) 564-3825, Email:
- Hwy 70/Rudd St. (Lat: 37.143222 Lon: -88.413667), Type: Tower, Structure height: 18.2 m, Overall height: 19.8 m, Call Sign: WQDC595
Assigned Frequencies: 173.350 MHz
Grant Date: 07/22/2005, Expiration Date: 07/22/2015, Certifier: Jeff Morris
Registrant: Atlas License Company, 1725a N. Shadeland Ave, Indianapolis, IN 46219, Phone: (317) 351-4865, Fax: (317) 351-4870, Email:
- Lat: 37.080750 Lon: -88.392639, Call Sign: WQPJ476
Assigned Frequencies: 467.212 MHz
Grant Date: 06/05/2012, Expiration Date: 06/05/2022, Certifier: Sheri Henson
Registrant: Innovation Wireless, 11869 Teale Street, Culver City, CA 90230, Phone: (888) 559-5565, Fax: (310) 482-3480, Email:
FCC Registered Microwave Towers:2
- LIVINGSTON, 7.1 Miles Se Of (Lat: 37.097222 Lon: -88.291667), Type: Tower, Structure height: 36.6 m, Call Sign: KBX55
Assigned Frequencies: 6256.54 MHz, 6226.89 MHz, 6345.49 MHz
Grant Date: 07/11/2012, Expiration Date: 09/17/2022
Registrant: Big Rivers Electric Corporation, 201 Third Street, Henderson, KY 42420, Phone: (270) 827-2561, Fax: (270) 827-0183, Email:
- SMITHLAND, None (Lat: 37.118389 Lon: -88.402806), Overall height: 15.2 m, Call Sign: WHQ856
Assigned Frequencies: 2168.40 MHz
Grant Date: 01/03/2001, Expiration Date: 02/01/2011, Cancellation Date: 01/17/2002
Registrant: Verizon Services Group, 1850 M Street, Nw Suite 1200, Washington, DC 20036-5801, Phone: (202) 463-5295, Email:
FCC Registered Maritime Coast & Aviation Ground Towers:2
- Lat: 37.191722 Lon: -88.419472, Call Sign: KA98285
Assigned Frequencies: 156.450 MHz, 156.800 MHz
Grant Date: 07/30/2002, Expiration Date: 10/16/2012, Cancellation Date: 04/24/2012
Registrant: Martin Marietta Materials Inc, 2710 Wycliff Rd, Raleigh, NC 27607, Phone: (919) 783-4633, Fax: (919) 783-4507
- Three Rivers Quarry (Lat: 37.191722 Lon: -88.419472), Type: Tower, Call Sign: WQZ286
Assigned Frequencies: 156.325 MHz, 156.450 MHz, 156.800 MHz, 156.900 MHz
Grant Date: 04/07/2002, Expiration Date: 06/16/2012, Cancellation Date: 04/04/2012
Registrant: Martin Marietta Materials,Inc., 2710 Wyckiff Rd, Raleigh, NC 27607, Phone: (919) 783-4644, Fax: (919) 783-4507, Email:
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses:13 (See the full list of FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses in Smithland)
FAA Registered Aircraft:1
- Aircraft: AERONCA 11AC (Category: Land, Seats: 2, Weight: Up to 12,499 Pounds, Speed: 75 mph), Engine: CONT MOTOR A&C65 SERIES (65 HP) (Reciprocating)
N-Number: 9527E , Serial Number: 11AC1163, Year manufactured: 1946
Registrant (Individual): Mark Mcgrew, Box 153, Smithland, KY 42081
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 11
- Hazardous Condition: 9
Incident types - Smithland
|Most common first names in Smithland, KY among deceased individuals|
|Most common last names in Smithland, KY among deceased individuals|
|Last name||Count||Lived (average)|
Smithland on our top lists:
- #5 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of males in occupations: Secondary school teachers"
- #7 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of males working in industry: Pharmacies and drug stores"
- #17 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of females in occupations: Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations"
- #26 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of males in occupations: Postsecondary teachers"
- #38 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of males working in industry: Water transportation"
- #45 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of females in occupations: Secondary school teachers"
- #74 on the list of "Top 101 cities with the largest percentage of people in local jails and other confinement facilities (including police lockups)"
- #76 on the list of "Top 101 cities with the largest percentage of people in nursing homes"
- #74 on the list of "Top 101 counties with the highest Sulfur Oxides Annual air pollution readings in 2005 (µg/m3)"