We are giving away $1200 in prizes - enter simply by sending us your own city pictures!
- OSM Map
- Google Map
- MSN Map
- OSM Map
- General Map
- Google Map
- MSN Map
- OSM Map
- Google Map
- MSN Map
- OSM Map
- Google Map
- MSN Map
Please wait while loading the map...
|Median resident age:||36.8 years|
|Maine median age:||43.0 years|
Zip codes: 04763.
Estimated per capita income in 2016: $18,318 (it was $11,751 in 2000)
Smyrna town income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2016: $90,679 (it was $53,600 in 2000)
Mean prices in 2016: All housing units: $125,039; Detached houses: $133,261; Townhouses or other attached units: $227,405; In 2-unit structures: $202,827; In 3-to-4-unit structures: $29,654; In 5-or-more-unit structures: $218,247; Mobile homes: $46,901; Occupied boats, RVs, vans, etc.: $121,366
Races in Smyrna, ME (2010)
- 43398.0%White alone
- 51.1%American Indian alone
- 20.5%Two or more races
- 10.2%Asian alone
Ancestries: English (27.7%), French (21.9%), Irish (20.2%), United States (14.2%), German (9.6%), Scotch-Irish (5.3%).
Current Local Time: EST time zone
Incorporated on 03/07/1839
Land area: 35.2 square miles.
Population density: 13 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Smyrna:
- High school or higher: 78.5%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 11.7%
- Graduate or professional degree: 3.0%
- Unemployed: 11.0%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 24.7 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Smyrna town:
- Never married: 27.5%
- Now married: 52.7%
- Separated: 1.5%
- Widowed: 8.3%
- Divorced: 10.1%
9 residents are foreign born (2.2% North America).
According to our research of Maine and other state lists there was 1 registered sex offender living in Smyrna, Maine as of November 20, 2018.
The ratio of number of residents in Smyrna to the number of sex offenders is 442 to 1.
The number of registered sex offenders compared to the number of residents in this city is near the state average.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|Smyrna town:||1.2% ($659)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Portland, ME (201.3 miles , pop. 64,249).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Boston, MA (302.6 miles , pop. 589,141).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Bronx, NY (466.5 miles , pop. 1,332,650).
Nearest cities: Oakfield, ME (1.7 miles ), New Limerick, ME (2.4 miles ), Ludlow, ME (2.5 miles ), Dyer Brook, ME (2.6 miles) , Merrill, ME (2.6 miles ), Linneus, ME (2.9 miles ), Hammond, ME (3.1 miles) , Island Falls, ME (3.5 miles ).
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1999: 3 buildings, average cost: $16,700
- 2000: 3 buildings, average cost: $16,700
- 2001: 4 buildings, average cost: $16,700
- 2002: 3 buildings, average cost: $55,000
- 2003: 3 buildings, average cost: $55,000
- 2004: 3 buildings, average cost: $55,000
- 2005: 4 buildings, average cost: $150,200
- 2007: 2 buildings, average cost: $60,000
- 2010: 2 buildings, average cost: $75,000
- 2011: 2 buildings, average cost: $75,000
- 2012: 2 buildings, average cost: $75,000
Number of permits per 10,000 residents
Average cost (in $1000s)
Latitude: 46.14 N, Longitude: 68.10 W
Area code commonly used in this area: 207
Unemployment by year (%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (34%)
- Construction (9%)
- Wood products (9%)
- Public administration (9%)
- Building material and garden equipment and supplies dealers (8%)
- Truck transportation (8%)
- Repair and maintenance (6%)
- Educational services (34%)
- Health care (22%)
- Accommodation and food services (18%)
- Finance and insurance (9%)
- Department and other general merchandise stores (6%)
- Social assistance (4%)
- Religious, grantmaking, civic, professional, and similar organizations (4%)
- Driver/sales workers and truck drivers (12%)
- Farmers and farm managers (11%)
- Fishing and hunting, and forest and logging workers (11%)
- Vehicle and mobile equipment mechanics, installers, and repairers (9%)
- Other management occupations except farmers and farm managers (6%)
- Agricultural workers including supervisors (6%)
- Fire fighting and prevention workers including supervisors (5%)
- Preschool, kindergarten, elementary and middle school teachers (22%)
- Nursing, psychiatric, and home health aides (15%)
- Cooks and food preparation workers (7%)
- Waiters and waitresses (7%)
- Other teachers and instructors, education, training, and library occupations (6%)
- Other financial specialists (4%)
- Counselors, social workers, and other community and social service specialists (4%)
Average climate in Smyrna, Maine
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Earthquake activity:Smyrna-area historical earthquake activity is slightly below Maine state average. It is 94% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 7/14/2006 at 09:34:49, a magnitude 4.0 (3.5 MW, 4.0 LG, Depth: 14.9 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 61.2 miles away from the city center
On 10/3/2006 at 00:07:38, a magnitude 4.3 (3.8 MB, 3.8 MW, 4.3 LG, Depth: 4.0 mi) earthquake occurred 123.9 miles away from Smyrna center
On 4/20/2002 at 10:50:47, a magnitude 5.2 (5.2 MB, 4.2 MS, 5.2 MW, 5.0 MW, Depth: 6.8 mi, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 296.1 miles away from the city center
On 10/7/1983 at 10:18:46, a magnitude 5.3 (5.1 MB, 5.3 LG, 5.1 ML) earthquake occurred 340.3 miles away from the city center
On 1/19/1982 at 00:14:42, a magnitude 4.7 (4.5 MB, 4.7 MD, 4.5 LG) earthquake occurred 250.5 miles away from Smyrna center
On 9/16/1994 at 04:22:42, a magnitude 3.6 (3.6 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: II - III) earthquake occurred 57.7 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), duration magnitude (MD), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Aroostook County (21) is a lot greater than the US average (13).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 12
Emergencies Declared: 9
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 10, Storms: 8, Snows: 7, Heavy Rains: 2, Blizzard: 1, Hurricane: 1, Ice Storm: 1, Snowfall: 1, Snowstorm: 1, Wind: 1, Winter Storm: 1, Other: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Hospitals and medical centers near Smyrna:
- HOULTON REGIONAL HOSPITAL Critical Access Hospitals (about 13 miles away; HOULTON, ME)
- THE HOULTON REG PROG CARE FAC (Nursing Home, about 13 miles away; HOULTON, ME)
- FOREST SPRINGS (Hospital, about 13 miles away; HOULTON, ME)
- HARMONY (Hospital, about 13 miles away; HOULTON, ME)
- MADIGAN HOME HEALTH CARE, INC. (Home Health Center, about 13 miles away; HOULTON, ME)
- MADIGAN ESTATES (Nursing Home, about 13 miles away; HOULTON, ME)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Smyrna:
- University of Maine (about 91 miles; Orono, ME; Full-time enrollment: 8,931)
- Husson University (about 97 miles; Bangor, ME; FT enrollment: 2,421)
- University of Maine at Farmington (about 143 miles; Farmington, ME; FT enrollment: 2,036)
- University of Maine at Augusta (about 150 miles; Augusta, ME; FT enrollment: 3,204)
- Saint Joseph's College of Maine (about 198 miles; Standish, ME; FT enrollment: 2,010)
- Southern Maine Community College (about 202 miles; South Portland, ME; FT enrollment: 4,666)
- University of Southern Maine (about 202 miles; Portland, ME; FT enrollment: 6,647)
Notable location: Emerson Siding (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Church in Smyrna: Smyrna Mills United Methodist Church (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Cemeteries: Yerxa Cemetery (1), Amish Cemetery (2), Smyrna Mills Cemetery (3), Stewart Cemetery (4). Display/hide their locations on the map
Lakes and swamps: White Lake (A), Duck Pond (B), Half Moon Pond (C), Innes Beaver Pond (D). Display/hide their locations on the map
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Soule Brook (A), Little Mill Brook (B), Marley Brook (C), Dunn Brook (D), Dudley Brook (E), Duck Pond Outlet (F), Moose Brook (G), Limestone Brook (H). Display/hide their locations on the map
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2000 was 23.7. This is significantly better than average.
Particulate Matter (PM10) [µg/m3] level in 2000 was 22.0. This is about average. Closest monitor was 12.4 miles away from the city center.
|This town:||2.9 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.6% of all households
- Gay men: 0.6% of all households
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Smyrna town (based on Aroostook County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Aroostook County:||4.03 / 10,000 pop.|
|Maine:||2.80 / 10,000 pop.|
|This county:||0.14 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||0.14 / 10,000 pop.|
|Aroostook County:||2.22 / 10,000 pop.|
|Maine:||2.20 / 10,000 pop.|
|Aroostook County:||7.78 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||5.75 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||9.17 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||11.02 / 10,000 pop.|
3.21% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($33,766 average adjusted gross income)
0.08% of residents moved from foreign countries ($1,181 average AGI)
Aroostook County: 0.08% Maine average: 0.04%
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Penobscot County, ME||0.46% ($28,764 average AGI)|
|from Cumberland County, ME||0.20% ($23,132)|
|from Hartford County, CT||0.09% ($34,920)|
3.74% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($34,623 average adjusted gross income)
0.11% of residents moved to foreign countries ($830 average AGI)
Aroostook County: 0.11% Maine average: 0.05%
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Smyrna:
- WREM (710 AM; daytime; 5 kW; MONTICELLO, ME; Owner: ALLAN H WEINER)
- WFST (600 AM; 5 kW; CARIBOU, ME; Owner: NORTHERN BROADCAST MINISTRIES, INC.)
- WEGP (1390 AM; 5 kW; PRESQUE ISLE, ME; Owner: DECELLES/SMITH MEDIA, INC.)
- WZON (620 AM; 5 kW; BANGOR, ME; Owner: THE ZONE CORPORATION)
- WRKO (680 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WCHP (760 AM; 35 kW; CHAMPLAIN, NY; Owner: CHAMPLAIN RADIO, INC.)
- WEEI (850 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WNNZ (640 AM; 50 kW; WESTFIELD, MA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WSKW (1160 AM; 10 kW; SKOWHEGAN, ME; Owner: MOUNTAIN WIRELESS, INCORPORATED)
- WABI (910 AM; 5 kW; BANGOR, ME; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WCRN (830 AM; 50 kW; WORCESTER, MA; Owner: CARTER BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WBZ (1030 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WTME (780 AM; 10 kW; RUMFORD, ME; Owner: MOUNTAIN VALLEY BROADCASTING, INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Smyrna:
- WHOU-FM (100.1 FM; HOULTON, ME; Owner: COUNTY COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WQHR (96.1 FM; PRESQUE ISLE, ME; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WOZI (101.9 FM; PRESQUE ISLE, ME; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WMEM (106.1 FM; PRESQUE ISLE, ME; Owner: MAINE PUBLIC BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WBPW (96.9 FM; PRESQUE ISLE, ME; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- W274AF (102.7 FM; PRESQUE ISLE, ME; Owner: BANGOR BAPTIST CHURCH)
- National Bridge Inventory (NBI) Statistics
- 12Number of bridges
- 51m167ftTotal length
- 21,524Total average daily traffic
- 2,314Total average daily truck traffic
New bridges - Historical Statistics
FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers:2
- Smyrna Center (Lat: 46.162000 Lon: -68.096417), Call Sign: WGT437
Assigned Frequencies: 452.875 MHzGrant Date: 03/30/2005, Expiration Date: 06/26/2015, Cancellation Date: 05/11/2011Registrant: Aroostook County Emergency Management Agency, 158 Sweden Street, Caribou, ME 04736, Phone: (207) 493-4328, Fax: (207) 493-4357, Email:
- Smyrna Center (Lat: 46.162000 Lon: -68.096417), Call Sign: KNDK998, Licensee ID: L00099376
Assigned Frequencies: 463.850 MHzGrant Date: 07/20/2012, Expiration Date: 08/12/2022, Certifier: Gerard E OuelletteRegistrant: Atlantic Communications, Inc.
FCC Registered Paging Towers:1
- 4 Miles Ne Of Smyrna Mills (Lat: 46.161972 Lon: -68.096389), Call Sign: KKB660
Assigned Frequencies: 158.700 MHzGrant Date: 04/28/2009, Expiration Date: 04/01/2019, Certifier: Bruce R LedermanRegistrant: Attorney At Law, 2154 Wisconsin Ave, Nw, Ste 250, Washington, DC 20007, Phone: (202) 223-3772, Fax: (202) 315-3587, Email:
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses:2
- Call Sign: KB1LOG, Licensee ID: L00906737, Grant Date: 08/17/2004, Expiration Date: 08/17/2014, Cancellation Date: 05/19/2006, Certifier: Herb F Boutilier, Registrant: Herb F Boutilier, Smyrna, ME 04780
- Call Sign: K1LOG, Previous Call Sign: KB1LOG, Licensee ID: L00906737, Grant Date: 05/19/2006, Expiration Date: 05/19/2016, Certifier: Herb F Boutilier, Registrant: Herb F Boutilier, Smyrna, ME 04780
Drinking water stations with addresses in Smyrna and their reported violations in the past:BROOKSIDE INN (Population served: 176, Groundwater):
Past monitoring violations:
- 3 routine major monitoring violations
- 2 regular monitoring violations
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (81%)
- Wood (19%)
Smyrna compared to Maine state average:
- Median household income below state average.
- Median house value below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage below state average.
- Renting percentage below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher below state average.