South Bristol, Maine
South Bristol: South Bristol Swing Bridge
South Bristol: jones cove fish house in the winter
South Bristol: the rock seat on the damariscotta river south bristol
South Bristol: jones cove fish house in the winter
Submit your own pictures of this town and show them to the World
|Median resident age:||54.1 years|
|Maine median age:||43.0 years|
Zip codes: 04568.
Estimated per capita income in 2015: $40,663 (it was $28,233 in 2000)
South Bristol town income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2015: $272,387 (it was $147,300 in 2000)
Mean prices in 2015: All housing units: $281,199; Detached houses: $309,216; Townhouses or other attached units: $258,879; In 2-unit structures: $170,156; In 3-to-4-unit structures: $254,986; In 5-or-more-unit structures: $233,796; Mobile homes: $80,367
Races in South Bristol, ME (2010)
- 87598.1%White alone
- 50.6%Two or more races
- 40.4%Black alone
- 20.2%Asian alone
- 10.1%American Indian alone
Recent articles from our blog. Our writers, many of them Ph.D. graduates or candidates, create easy-to-read articles on a wide variety of topics.
- The fastest-growing sector in the West is dominated by one company Aug 17
- What matters more when it comes to moving between states: weather or taxes? Aug 15
- How your income level affects your health Aug 13
- A few numbers about alcohol consumption Aug 11
- High-paid finance jobs are moving outside of large cities Aug 9
|Maine's Off-Topic thread: part eight (350 replies)|
|Advise on Mid-Coast Move (41 replies)|
|Need a Maine Fix...movie suggestions (36 replies)|
|Let's talk property tax rates.... (41 replies)|
|Maine Places With Real Downtowns (35 replies)|
|Want to play? (182 replies)|
Latest news from South Bristol, ME collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: English (31.8%), German (13.7%), Irish (12.2%), French (8.7%), Scottish (8.5%), United States (4.8%).
Current Local Time: EST time zone
Incorporated on 03/26/1915
Elevation: 36 feet
Land area: 13.2 square miles.
Population density: 68 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in South Bristol:
- High school or higher: 92.8%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 35.5%
- Graduate or professional degree: 15.1%
- Unemployed: 1.9%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 21.2 minutes
For population 15 years and over in South Bristol town:
- Never married: 14.5%
- Now married: 66.5%
- Separated: 0.9%
- Widowed: 7.2%
- Divorced: 10.9%
21 residents are foreign born (1.9% Europe, 0.4% North America).
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|South Bristol town:||0.5% ($773)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Portland, ME (38.7 miles , pop. 64,249).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Boston, MA (133.4 miles , pop. 589,141).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Bronx, NY (304.9 miles , pop. 1,332,650).
Nearest cities: Boothbay, ME (1.7 miles ), Bristol, ME (2.0 miles ), Boothbay Harbor, ME (2.1 miles ), Edgecomb, ME (2.5 miles ), Westport, ME (2.6 miles ), Westport Island, ME (2.6 miles ), Southport, ME (2.7 miles ), Wiscasset, ME (3.0 miles ).
Latitude: 43.90 N, Longitude: 69.56 W
Area code: 207
Unemployment by year (%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (22%)
- Construction (16%)
- Transportation equipment (9%)
- Educational services (8%)
- Professional, scientific, and technical services (5%)
- Building material and garden equipment and supplies dealers (5%)
- Motor vehicle and parts dealers (4%)
- Educational services (20%)
- Health care (15%)
- Food and beverage stores (7%)
- Arts, entertainment, and recreation (4%)
- Religious, grantmaking, civic, professional, and similar organizations (4%)
- Transportation equipment (4%)
- Private households (4%)
- Fishing and hunting, and forest and logging workers (18%)
- Carpenters (9%)
- Driver/sales workers and truck drivers (6%)
- Other sales and related workers including supervisors (5%)
- Retail sales workers except cashiers (5%)
- Other management occupations except farmers and farm managers (4%)
- Business operations specialists (4%)
- Other management occupations except farmers and farm managers (8%)
- Other sales and related workers including supervisors (8%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (6%)
- Other teachers and instructors, education, training, and library occupations (5%)
- Supervisors and other personal care and service workers except personal appearance, transportation, and child care workers (5%)
- Preschool, kindergarten, elementary and middle school teachers (5%)
- Other office and administrative support workers including supervisors (5%)
Average climate in South Bristol, Maine
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Earthquake activity:South Bristol-area historical earthquake activity is slightly above Maine state average. It is 91% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 1/19/1982 at 00:14:42, a magnitude 4.7 (4.5 MB, 4.7 MD, 4.5 LG, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 105.4 miles away from the city center
On 4/20/2002 at 10:50:47, a magnitude 5.2 (5.2 MB, 4.2 MS, 5.2 MW, 5.0 MW, Depth: 6.8 mi, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 210.0 miles away from South Bristol center
On 10/7/1983 at 10:18:46, a magnitude 5.3 (5.1 MB, 5.3 LG, 5.1 ML) earthquake occurred 238.0 miles away from the city center
On 10/3/2006 at 00:07:38, a magnitude 4.3 (3.8 MB, 3.8 MW, 4.3 LG, Depth: 4.0 mi) earthquake occurred 77.0 miles away from the city center
On 2/26/1999 at 03:38:43, a magnitude 3.8 (3.8 LG, Depth: 2.0 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: II - III) earthquake occurred 40.4 miles away from South Bristol center
On 8/21/1996 at 07:54:14, a magnitude 3.8 (3.8 LG, 3.6 LG, Depth: 6.2 mi) earthquake occurred 91.1 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), duration magnitude (MD), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Lincoln County (22) is a lot greater than the US average (13).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 18
Emergencies Declared: 4
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 14, Storms: 10, Winter Storms: 4, Hurricanes: 2, Snows: 2, Winds: 2, Blizzard: 1, Heavy Rain: 1, Ice Storm: 1, Landslide: 1, Snowfall: 1, Tropical Storm: 1, Other: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Hospitals and medical centers near South Bristol:
- ST ANDREWS HOME HEALTH (Home Health Center, about 5 miles away; BOOTHBAY HARBOR, ME)
- ST ANDREWS HOSPITAL (LINCOLN COUNTY HEALTHCARE) Critical Access Hospitals (about 5 miles away; BOOTHBAY HARBOR, ME)
- COVE'S EDGE (Nursing Home, about 10 miles away; DAMARISCOTTA, ME)
- WINSHIP GREEN NURSING CENTER (Nursing Home, about 13 miles away; BATH, ME)
- COASTAL DIALYSIS CENTER (Dialysis Facility, about 14 miles away; BATH, ME)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to South Bristol:
- University of Maine at Augusta (about 33 miles; Augusta, ME; Full-time enrollment: 3,204)
- Southern Maine Community College (about 38 miles; South Portland, ME; FT enrollment: 4,666)
- University of Southern Maine (about 40 miles; Portland, ME; FT enrollment: 6,647)
- Saint Joseph's College of Maine (about 47 miles; Standish, ME; FT enrollment: 2,010)
- University of New England (about 52 miles; Biddeford, ME; FT enrollment: 4,539)
- University of Maine at Farmington (about 61 miles; Farmington, ME; FT enrollment: 2,036)
- Husson University (about 75 miles; Bangor, ME; FT enrollment: 2,421)
Public elementary/middle school in South Bristol:
- SOUTH BRISTOL ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Location: 2024 STATE ROUTE 129, Grades: KG-8)
Notable locations in South Bristol: Wawenock Country Club (A), Hunters Landing (B), Thompson Harvesting Museum (C), South Bristol Volunteer Fire Department (D), South Bristol Volunteer Fire Department Walpole (E), South Bristol Town House (F). Display/hide their locations on the map
Churches in South Bristol include: Old Walpole Meetinghouse (A), Union Church of South Bristol (B). Display/hide their locations on the map
Cemeteries: West Bristol Cemetery (1), Main Cemetery (2). Display/hide their locations on the map
Reservoir: Clark Cove Pond (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Wiley Brook (A), Eastern Branch Johns River (B), North Branch Johns River (C). Display/hide their locations on the map
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2013 was 80.4. This is about average.
Ozone [ppb] level in 2013 was 31.8. This is about average. Closest monitor was 7.5 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM10) [µg/m3] level in 2003 was 14.9. This is better than average. Closest monitor was 12.5 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM2.5) [µg/m3] level in 2002 was 6.27. This is significantly better than average. Closest monitor was 24.9 miles away from the city center.
|This town:||2.1 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.5% of all households
- Gay men: 0.2% of all households
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for South Bristol town (based on Lincoln County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Lincoln County:||4.03 / 10,000 pop.|
|Maine:||2.80 / 10,000 pop.|
|Lincoln County:||2.59 / 10,000 pop.|
|Maine:||2.20 / 10,000 pop.|
|Lincoln County:||6.62 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||5.75 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||13.23 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||11.02 / 10,000 pop.|
5.72% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($38,936 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Kennebec County, ME||0.88% ($31,427 average AGI)|
|from Knox County, ME||0.60% ($28,624)|
|from Sagadahoc County, ME||0.55% ($34,346)|
6.04% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($32,423 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in South Bristol:
- WJTO (730 AM; 1 kW; BATH, ME; Owner: BLUE JEY BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WFAU (1280 AM; 5 kW; GARDINER, ME; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WGAN (560 AM; 5 kW; PORTLAND, ME; Owner: SAGA COMMUNICATIONS OF NEW ENGLAND, LLC)
- WMTW (870 AM; 10 kW; GORHAM, ME; Owner: RADIO PARTNERS OF MAINE, L.P.)
- WRKO (680 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WTME (780 AM; 10 kW; RUMFORD, ME; Owner: MOUNTAIN VALLEY BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WEEI (850 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WBZ (1030 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WZAN (970 AM; 5 kW; PORTLAND, ME; Owner: SAGA COMMUNICATIONS OF NEW ENGLAND, LLC)
- WLAM (1470 AM; 5 kW; LEWISTON, ME; Owner: RADIO PARTNERS OF MAINE, L.P.)
- WSKW (1160 AM; 10 kW; SKOWHEGAN, ME; Owner: MOUNTAIN WIRELESS, INCORPORATED)
- WJJB (900 AM; 1 kW; BRUNSWICK, ME; Owner: ATLANTIC COAST RADIO, LLC)
- WLOB (1310 AM; 5 kW; PORTLAND, ME; Owner: ATLANTIC COAST RADIO, LLC)
Strongest FM radio stations in South Bristol:
- WCME (96.7 FM; BOOTHBAY HARBOR, ME; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WMEP (90.5 FM; CAMDEN, ME; Owner: MAINE PUBLIC BROADCASTING CORP.)
- WQSS (102.5 FM; CAMDEN, ME; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WMCM (103.3 FM; ROCKLAND, ME; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WBQX (106.9 FM; THOMASTON, ME; Owner: MARINER BROADCASTING LIMITED PARTNER)
- WBLM (102.9 FM; PORTLAND, ME; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WMEA (90.1 FM; PORTLAND, ME; Owner: MAINE PUBLIC BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WBCI (105.9 FM; BATH, ME; Owner: BLOUNT COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WCLZ (98.9 FM; BRUNSWICK, ME; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WTHT (107.5 FM; LEWISTON, ME; Owner: RADIO PARTNERS OF MAINE, L.P.)
- WCYI (93.9 FM; LEWISTON, ME; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WJBQ (97.9 FM; PORTLAND, ME; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WJJB-FM (95.5 FM; TOPSHAM, ME; Owner: ATLANTIC COAST RADIO, LLC)
- WMME-FM (92.3 FM; AUGUSTA, ME; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WYFP (91.9 FM; HARPSWELL, ME; Owner: BIBLE BROADCASTING NETWORK, INC.)
TV broadcast stations around South Bristol:
- WGME-TV (Channel 13; PORTLAND, ME; Owner: WGME LICENSEE, LLC)
- WPFO (Channel 23; WATERVILLE, ME; Owner: CMCG PORTLAND LICENSE LLC)
- WCBB (Channel 10; AUGUSTA, ME; Owner: MAINE PUBLIC BROADCASTING CORP.)
South Bristol fatal accident list:
Nov 22, 2007 01:29 AM, Sr-129, Lat: 43.84860, Lon: -69.55238, Vehicles: 1, Persons: 2, Fatalities: 1, Drunken persons involved: 1
Jul 21, 1996 01:99 AM, 129, Vehicles: 1, Persons: 2, Fatalities: 1, Drunken persons involved: 1
- National Bridge Inventory (NBI) Statistics
- 1Number of bridges
- 2m7ftTotal length
- $1,593,000Total costs
- 1,184Total average daily traffic
- 94Total average daily truck traffic
- 1,776Total future (year 2033) average daily traffic
FCC Registered Maritime Coast & Aviation Ground Towers:3
- 6 Gamage Dr (Lat: 43.861750 Lon: -69.560611), Type: Tower, Call Sign: KXR956, Licensee ID: L00641334
Assigned Frequencies: 156.450 MHz, 156.800 MHzGrant Date: 02/19/1998, Expiration Date: 02/19/2003, Cancellation Date: 05/25/2003Registrant: South Bristol Storage & Repair Inc, 6 Gamage Dr, South Bristol, ME 04568
- Marina Bldg Cove Rd (Lat: 43.863972 Lon: -69.558944), Type: Building, Overall height: 7 m, Call Sign: KZH976
Assigned Frequencies: 156.425 MHz, 156.450 MHz, 156.800 MHzGrant Date: 08/02/1994, Expiration Date: 08/25/1999, Cancellation Date: 05/06/2001Registrant: Coveside Inc, Cove Rd, South Bristol, ME 04568
- Middle Of S Bristol Bridge (Lat: 43.862583 Lon: -69.558667), Type: Building, Overall height: 3 m, Call Sign: WQB861
Assigned Frequencies: 156.450 MHz, 156.650 MHz, 156.800 MHzGrant Date: 04/07/2015, Expiration Date: 06/22/2025Registrant: State Of Maine, 66 Industrial Drive, Augusta, ME 04330-7857, Phone: (207) 624-9990, Email:
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses:4
- Call Sign: KA1JRR, Grant Date: 07/26/1988, Expiration Date: 07/26/1998, Cancellation Date: 07/27/2000, Registrant: George E Lewis, 50 W Side Rd Rutherford Island, South Bristol, ME 04568
- Call Sign: KB1ADF, Grant Date: 07/14/1994, Expiration Date: 06/02/2002, Cancellation Date: 06/03/2004, Registrant: James T Davis, South Bristol, ME 04568
- Call Sign: KJ1A, Previous Call Sign: N1SNQ, Licensee ID: L01300420, Grant Date: 07/03/2007, Expiration Date: 07/03/2017, Registrant: Peter E Mac Cready, 161 Holmes Rd., South Bristol, ME 04568
- Call Sign: KB1KFY, Licensee ID: L00722581, Grant Date: 07/29/2003, Expiration Date: 07/29/2013, Cancellation Date: 07/30/2015, Certifier: Daniel D Mac Cready, Registrant: Daniel D Mac Cready, 161 Holmes Rd, South Bristol, ME 04568
Drinking water stations with addresses in South Bristol and their reported violations in the past:COVESIDE (Population served: 246, Groundwater):
Past monitoring violations:
- 6 routine major monitoring violations
Drinking water stations with addresses in South Bristol that have no violations reported:
- HERON ISLAND VILL ASSN #1 (Population served: 48, Primary Water Source Type: Groundwater under infl of surface water)
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (81%)
- Wood (10%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (6%)
- Electricity (3%)
South Bristol compared to Maine state average:
- Median house value above state average.
- Unemployed percentage significantly below state average.
- Black race population percentage below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage below state average.
- Median age significantly above state average.
- Renting percentage below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
- Number of college students significantly below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher above state average.
Total of 10 patent applications in 2008-2017.