|Median resident age:||40.3 years|
|Oklahoma median age:||35.5 years|
Zip code: 74843
|South Central Pontotoc:||$51,209|
South Central Pontotoc CCD income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2012: $113,049 (it was $66,000 in 2000)
|South Central Pontotoc:||$113,049|
- White alone - 562 (80.1%)
- American Indian alone - 103 (14.7%)
- Two or more races - 28 (4.0%)
- Hispanic - 8 (1.1%)
- Asian alone - 1 (0.1%)
Current Local Time: CST time zone
Land area: 74.5 square miles.
Population density: 9.7 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in South Central Pontotoc:
- High school or higher: 85.3%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 19.5%
- Graduate or professional degree: 9.1%
- Unemployed: 1.0%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 20.3 minutes
For population 15 years and over in South Central Pontotoc CCD:
- Never married: 18.8%
- Now married: 65.6%
- Separated: 0.5%
- Widowed: 6.5%
- Divorced: 9.1%
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|South Central Pontotoc CCD:||0.4% ($282)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Norman, OK (60.0 miles , pop. 95,694).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Oklahoma City, OK (77.7 miles , pop. 506,132).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Dallas, TX (126.3 miles , pop. 1,188,580).
Nearest cities: Southeast Pontotoc, OK (2.5 miles ), Stonewall, OK (2.7 miles ), Fitzhugh, OK (2.7 miles ), Southwest Pontotoc, OK (3.0 miles ), Ada, OK (3.1 miles ), Roff, OK (3.3 miles ), Hickory, OK (3.5 miles) , Tupelo, OK (3.6 miles ).
Latitude: 34.62 N, Longitude: 96.65 W
Area code commonly used in this area: 580
Unemployment by year (%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (19%)
- Construction (17%)
- Mining, quarrying, and oil and gas extraction (11%)
- Public administration (8%)
- Transportation equipment (7%)
- Nonmetallic mineral products (4%)
- Professional, scientific, and technical services (3%)
- Educational services (29%)
- Health care (10%)
- Food and beverage stores (6%)
- Finance and insurance (4%)
- Professional, scientific, and technical services (4%)
- Public administration (4%)
- Administrative and support and waste management services (4%)
- Material moving workers except supervisors and laborers and material movers, hand (9%)
- Agricultural workers including supervisors (9%)
- Farmers and farm managers (9%)
- Driver/sales workers and truck drivers (8%)
- Construction trades workers except carpenters, electricians, painters, plumbers, and construction laborers (6%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (6%)
- Painters and paperhangers (4%)
- Preschool, kindergarten, elementary and middle school teachers (13%)
- Secretaries and administrative assistants (7%)
- Nursing, psychiatric, and home health aides (6%)
- Operations specialties managers except financial managers (6%)
- Retail sales workers except cashiers (6%)
- Special education teachers (5%)
- Other teachers and instructors, education, training, and library occupations (5%)
Average climate in South Central Pontotoc, Oklahoma
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
South Central Pontotoc-area historical tornado activity is near Oklahoma state average. It is 178% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 5/9/1959, a category F4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 4.1 miles away from the South Central Pontotoc place center killed 7 people and injured 12 people and caused between $50,000 and $500,000 in damages.
On 4/27/1966, a category F4 tornado 22.0 miles away from the place center injured 2 people and caused between $50,000 and $500,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:South Central Pontotoc-area historical earthquake activity is slightly below Oklahoma state average. It is 75% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 9/6/1997 at 23:38:00, a magnitude 4.5 (4.5 LG, 4.2 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 12.7 miles away from the city center
On 6/16/1978 at 11:46:54, a magnitude 5.3 (4.4 MB, 4.6 UK, 5.3 ML, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 260.7 miles away from South Central Pontotoc center
On 1/18/1995 at 15:51:39, a magnitude 4.2 (4.0 LG, 4.2 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 54.7 miles away from the city center
On 4/28/1998 at 14:13:01, a magnitude 4.2 (3.9 MB, 4.2 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 100.9 miles away from the city center
On 11/15/1990 at 11:44:41, a magnitude 3.9 (3.6 LG, 3.9 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: II - III) earthquake occurred 54.2 miles away from South Central Pontotoc center
On 1/21/1982 at 00:33:54, a magnitude 4.7 (4.5 MB, 4.7 LG, 4.5 LG) earthquake occurred 255.0 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), local magnitude (ML)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Pontotoc County (17) is greater than the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 11
Emergencies Declared: 6
Causes of natural disasters: Winter Storms: 8, Floods: 6, Storms: 6, Tornadoes: 6, Fire: 1, Heavy Rain: 1, Hurricane: 1, Snow: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Hospitals and medical centers near South Central Pontotoc:
- STONEGATE NURSING CENTER (Nursing Home, about 8 miles away; STONEWALL, OK)
- MAYS HOUSECALL HOME HEALTH, INC (Home Health Center, about 11 miles away; ADA, OK)
- MCCORTNEY FAMILY HOSPICE, INC (Hospital, about 12 miles away; ADA, OK)
- ADA HOME HEALTH CARE, INC (Home Health Center, about 12 miles away; ADA, OK)
- JAN FRANCES CARE CENTER (Nursing Home, about 12 miles away; ADA, OK)
- BALLARD NURSING CENTER (Nursing Home, about 12 miles away; ADA, OK)
- COMPANIONS IN CARING HOSPICE (Hospital, about 12 miles away; ADA, OK)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to South Central Pontotoc:
- East Central University (about 11 miles; Ada, OK; Full-time enrollment: 4,030)
- Southeastern Oklahoma State University (about 46 miles; Durant, OK; FT enrollment: 3,365)
- University of Oklahoma-Norman Campus (about 61 miles; Norman, OK; FT enrollment: 22,496)
- Grayson College (about 64 miles; Denison, TX; FT enrollment: 2,496)
- Rose State College (about 72 miles; Midwest City, OK; FT enrollment: 4,896)
- Mid-America Christian University (about 73 miles; Oklahoma City, OK; FT enrollment: 2,869)
- Oklahoma City Community College (about 75 miles; Oklahoma City, OK; FT enrollment: 8,904)
Notable location: Fittstown Fire Department (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Churches in South Central Pontotoc include: Hickory Hill Church (A), Fittstown Baptist Church (B), Sunshine Church (C). Display/hide their locations on the map
Cemeteries: Atkins Cemetery (1), Franks Cemetery (2), Hickory Hill Cemetery (3), Fittstown Baptist Cemetery (4), Brown Cemetery (5), Lonegrove Cemetery (6). Display/hide their locations on the map
Reservoirs: Oknoname 123016 Reservoir (A), Oknoname 123014 Reservoir (B), Nichols Lake (C), Upper Clear Boggy Creek Site 23 Reservoir (D), Upper Clear Boggy Creek Site 25 Reservoir (E), Upper Clear Boggy Creek Site 32 Reservoir (F), Upper Clear Boggy Creek Site 33 Reservoir (G), Upper Clear Boggy Creek Site 34 Reservoir (H). Display/hide their locations on the map
Creeks: Walnut Creek (A), South Fork Jack Fork Creek (B), Canyon Creek (C), North Fork Jack Fork Creek (D). Display/hide their locations on the map
|This place:||2.4 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
No gay or lesbian households reported
Residents with income below the poverty level in 2009:
Residents with income below 50% of the poverty level in 2009:
South Central Pontotoc compared to Oklahoma state average:
- Median house value below state average.
- Unemployed percentage significantly below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Renting percentage below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
- Number of college students below state average.
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (49%)
- Utility gas (22%)
- Electricity (20%)
- Wood (9%)
Presidential Elections Results
1996 Presidential Elections Results
2000 Presidential Elections Results
2004 Presidential Elections Results
2008 Presidential Elections Results
2012 Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for South Central Pontotoc CCD (based on Pontotoc County data)Percentage of population affiliated with a religious congregations: 61.84%
Breakdown of population affiliated with a religious congregations
|Name||Southern Baptist Convention||United Methodist Church||Churches of Christ||National Association of Free Will Baptists||Catholic Church|
|Name||International Pentecostal Holiness Church||Baptist Missionary Association of America||Presbyterian Church (USA)||Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)||Other|
Tables represent county-level data.
Food Environment Statistics:
|Pontotoc County:||1.10 / 10,000 pop.|
|Oklahoma:||1.97 / 10,000 pop.|
|This county:||0.27 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||0.20 / 10,000 pop.|
|Pontotoc County:||0.55 / 10,000 pop.|
|Oklahoma:||0.76 / 10,000 pop.|
|Pontotoc County:||4.93 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||4.35 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||7.12 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||6.89 / 10,000 pop.|
6.55% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($30,552 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Seminole County, OK||0.52% ($25,227 average AGI)|
|from Garvin County, OK||0.47% ($24,271)|
|from Oklahoma County, OK||0.34% ($29,977)|
6.74% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($29,233 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in South Central Pontotoc:
- KOMA (1520 AM; 50 kW; OKLAHOMA CITY, OK; Owner: RENDA BROADCASTING CORP. OF NEVADA)
- KADA (1230 AM; 1 kW; ADA, OK; Owner: THE CHICKASAW NATION)
- KRMG (740 AM; 50 kW; TULSA, OK; Owner: CXR HOLDINGS, INC.)
- KEOR (1110 AM; daytime; 5 kW; ATOKA, OK; Owner: DALLAS AM RADIO PARTNERS, L.P.)
- KRLD (1080 AM; 50 kW; DALLAS, TX; Owner: TEXAS INFINITY BROADCASTING L.P.)
- KFAQ (1170 AM; 50 kW; TULSA, OK; Owner: JOURNAL BROADCAST CORPORATION)
- KFXR (1190 AM; 50 kW; DALLAS, TX; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WBAP (820 AM; 50 kW; FORT WORTH, TX; Owner: WBAP-KSCS OPERATING, LTD.)
- KYNG (950 AM; 10 kW; DENISON-SHERMAN, TX; Owner: KRBE LICO, INC.)
- KESS (1270 AM; 50 kW; FORT WORTH, TX; Owner: KESS-AM LICENSE CORP.)
- KZMP (1540 AM; 50 kW; UNIVERSITY PARK, TX; Owner: ENTRAVISION HOLDINGS, LLC)
- KAHZ (1360 AM; 50 kW; HURST, TX)
- KSKY (660 AM; 20 kW; BALCH SPRINGS, TX; Owner: BISON MEDIA, INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in South Central Pontotoc:
- K209AZ (89.7 FM; ADA, OK; Owner: CREATIVE EDUCATIONAL MEDIA CORP. INC)
- KADA-FM (99.3 FM; ADA, OK; Owner: THE CHICKASAW NATION)
- KAZC (88.3 FM; TISHOMINGO, OK; Owner: SOUTH CENTRAL OKLAHOMA CHRISTIAN BROADCASTING, INC.)
- K204BX (88.7 FM; ADA, OK; Owner: AMERICAN FAMILY ASSOCIATION)
- KIXO (106.1 FM; SULPHUR, OK; Owner: DFWU, INC.)
- KYKC (100.1 FM; BYNG, OK; Owner: CENTRAL OKLAHOMA COMMUNICATIONS CO.)
- KQCV-FM (95.1 FM; SHAWNEE, OK; Owner: COMMUNITY BROADCASTING, INC)
- KTGS (89.9 FM; ADA, OK; Owner: S CENTRAL OK CHRISTIAN BROADC/G INC)
- KFXT (90.7 FM; SULPHUR, OK; Owner: SISTER SHERRY LYNN FOUNDATION, INC.)
- KMAD-FM (102.5 FM; WHITESBORO, TX; Owner: NM LICENSING, LLC)
- KHKC-FM (102.1 FM; ATOKA, OK; Owner: KEYSTONE BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
TV broadcast stations around South Central Pontotoc:
- KTEN (Channel 10; ADA, OK; Owner: CHANNEL 49 ACQUISITION CORPORATION)
- K35CU (Channel 35; ADA, OK; Owner: LOCKE SUPPLY CO.)
- KXII (Channel 12; SHERMAN, TX; Owner: KXII LICENSEE CORP.)