South West City, Missouri
South West City: Looking North Down Main. User comment: You are facing North in this one not South
South West City: Looking South Up Main Street. User comment: You are facing South in this picture.
South West City: I told the Officer it was ALL GAYLA'S IDEA.
We are giving away $1200 in prizes - enter simply by sending us your own city pictures!
|Median resident age:||25.6 years|
|Missouri median age:||38.4 years|
Zip codes: 64863.
|South West City:||$32,083|
Estimated per capita income in 2015: $15,815 (it was $9,526 in 2000)
South West City town income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2015: $85,754 (it was $49,000 in 2000)
|South West City:||$85,754|
Mean prices in 2015: All housing units: $87,905; Detached houses: $93,114; Mobile homes: $48,067
Median gross rent in 2015: $524.
Races in South West City, MO (2010)
- 40942.2%White alone
- 353.6%American Indian alone
- 161.6%Native Hawaiian and Other
Pacific Islander alone
- 151.5%Two or more races
- 10.1%Black alone
- 10.1%Asian alone
Recent articles from our blog. Our writers, many of them Ph.D. graduates or candidates, create easy-to-read articles on a wide variety of topics.
- The fastest-growing sector in the West is dominated by one company Aug 17
- What matters more when it comes to moving between states: weather or taxes? Aug 15
- How your income level affects your health Aug 13
- A few numbers about alcohol consumption Aug 11
- High-paid finance jobs are moving outside of large cities Aug 9
Latest news from South West City, MO collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: English (6.9%), American (2.2%), Irish (1.3%).
Current Local Time: CST time zone
Incorporated in 1886
Elevation: 949 feet
Land area: 1.39 square miles.
Population density: 693 people per square mile(low).
For population 25 years and over in South West City:
- High school or higher: 53.3%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 9.7%
- Graduate or professional degree: 0.8%
- Unemployed: 7.7%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 17.1 minutes
For population 15 years and over in South West City town:
- Never married: 36.1%
- Now married: 46.3%
- Separated: 2.3%
- Widowed: 6.7%
- Divorced: 8.5%
315 residents are foreign born (29.8% Latin America).
According to our research of Missouri and other state lists there were 5 registered sex offenders living in South West City, Missouri as of August 18, 2017.
The ratio of number of residents in South West City to the number of sex offenders is 192 to 1.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with mortgages in 2015: $529 (0.7%)
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with no mortgage in 2015: $522 (0.6%)
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Fayetteville, AR (39.5 miles , pop. 58,047).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Tulsa, OK (78.5 miles , pop. 393,049).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Dallas, TX (285.3 miles , pop. 1,188,580).
Nearest cities: Dodge, OK (2.2 miles) , White Water, OK (2.6 miles) , Noel, MO (2.7 miles ), Maysville, AR (2.8 miles) , Cayuga, OK (2.8 miles) , Deer Lick, OK (2.9 miles) , Sulphur Springs, AR (3.0 miles ), Sycamore, OK (3.1 miles) .
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1997: 6 buildings, average cost: $50,000
- 1999: 1 building, cost: $82,000
- 2004: 2 buildings, average cost: $129,600
Number of permits per 10,000 residents
Average cost (in $1000s)
Latitude: 36.52 N, Longitude: 94.61 W
Area code: 417
|Crime rates in South West City by Year|
|City-data.com crime index (higher means more crime, U.S. average = 280.1)||224.7||140.4||399.8||705.2||313.6||330.8||252.7||385.5||230.0||126.2||261.2||238.2||166.0|
(click on a table row to update graph)
Crime rate in South West City detailed stats: murders, rapes, robberies, assaults, burglaries, thefts, arson
Unemployment by year (%)
- Manufacturing (51%)
- Construction (22%)
- Administrative and support and waste management services (9%)
- Educational services (6%)
- Public administration (4%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (3%)
- Retail trade (3%)
- Manufacturing (49%)
- Health care and social assistance (14%)
- Finance and insurance (9%)
- Educational services (9%)
- Other services, except public administration (5%)
- Wholesale trade (3%)
- Retail trade (3%)
- Production occupations (17%)
- Material moving occupations (16%)
- Construction and extraction occupations (16%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (13%)
- Installation, maintenance, and repair occupations (11%)
- Management occupations (9%)
- Office and administrative support occupations (5%)
- Production occupations (28%)
- Office and administrative support occupations (25%)
- Material moving occupations (14%)
- Education, training, and library occupations (8%)
- Sales and related occupations (6%)
- Health diagnosing and treating practitioners and other technical occupations (5%)
- Healthcare support occupations (4%)
Average climate in South West City, Missouri
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
South West City-area historical tornado activity is slightly above Missouri state average. It is 121% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 4/24/1975, a category F4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 21.8 miles away from the South West City town center killed 3 people and injured 22 people and caused between $5,000,000 and $50,000,000 in damages.
On 4/3/1956, a category F4 tornado 26.5 miles away from the town center injured 59 people and caused between $500,000 and $5,000,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:South West City-area historical earthquake activity is near Missouri state average. It is 73% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 5/4/2001 at 06:42:12, a magnitude 4.7 (4.2 MB, 4.7 LG, 4.5 LG, Depth: 6.2 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 163.1 miles away from the city center
On 1/21/1982 at 00:33:54, a magnitude 4.7 (4.5 MB, 4.7 LG, 4.5 LG) earthquake occurred 163.8 miles away from South West City center
On 3/25/1976 at 00:41:20, a magnitude 5.0 (4.9 MB, 5.0 LG, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 247.1 miles away from the city center
On 9/6/1997 at 23:38:00, a magnitude 4.5 (4.5 LG, 4.2 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 164.3 miles away from the city center
On 5/4/1991 at 01:18:54, a magnitude 5.0 (4.4 MB, 4.6 LG, 5.0 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 266.1 miles away from South West City center
On 9/26/1990 at 13:18:51, a magnitude 5.0 (4.7 MB, 4.8 LG, 5.0 LG, Depth: 7.7 mi) earthquake occurred 284.6 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in McDonald County (20) is greater than the US average (13).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 15
Emergencies Declared: 5
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 13, Storms: 12, Tornadoes: 9, Winter Storms: 6, Winds: 4, Heavy Rain: 1, Hurricane: 1, Snowstorm: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Hospitals and medical centers near South West City:
- TRINITY LIFECARE (Home Health Center, about 10 miles away; GROVE, OK)
- GOOD SHEPHERD HOSPICE (Hospital, about 10 miles away; GROVE, OK)
- HOME HEALTH SERVICES OF GRAND LAKE INC (Home Health Center, about 10 miles away; GROVE, OK)
- GROVE GENERAL HOSPITAL SNF (Nursing Home, about 10 miles away; GROVE, OK)
- AMEDISYS HOME HEALTH (Home Health Center, about 10 miles away; GROVE, OK)
- BETTY ANN NURSING CENTER (Nursing Home, about 10 miles away; GROVE, OK)
- GRAND LAKE VILLA (Nursing Home, about 10 miles away; GROVE, OK)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to South West City:
- John Brown University (about 23 miles; Siloam Springs, AR; Full-time enrollment: 2,097)
- Crowder College (about 25 miles; Neosho, MO; FT enrollment: 3,675)
- NorthWest Arkansas Community College (about 27 miles; Bentonville, AR; FT enrollment: 5,634)
- Northeastern Oklahoma A&M College (about 29 miles; Miami, OK; FT enrollment: 2,075)
- University of Arkansas (about 40 miles; Fayetteville, AR; FT enrollment: 22,163)
- Missouri Southern State University (about 41 miles; Joplin, MO; FT enrollment: 4,456)
- Northeastern State University (about 46 miles; Tahlequah, OK; FT enrollment: 6,895)
Public elementary/middle school in South West City:
- SOUTHWEST CITY ELEM. (Students: 332, Location: 411 ACADEMY ST, Grades: PK-8)
Notable location: South West City Volunteer Fire Department (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Cemetery: South West City Cemetery (1). Display/hide its location on the map
(33.0% for White Non-Hispanic residents, 38.5% for Hispanic or Latino residents, 42.2% for other race residents, 47.7% for two or more races residents)
|This town:||3.0 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.6% of all households
- Gay men: 0.6% of all households
Banks with branches in South West City (2011 data):
- The Corner Stone Bank: at 117 North Main, branch established on 1898/01/01. Info updated 2006/11/03: Bank assets: $128.7 mil, Deposits: $115.7 mil, local headquarters, positive income, 4 total offices
Educational Attainment (%) in 2015
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2015
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for South West City town (based on McDonald County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|McDonald County:||2.19 / 10,000 pop.|
|Missouri:||1.88 / 10,000 pop.|
|This county:||0.44 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||0.18 / 10,000 pop.|
|McDonald County:||0.88 / 10,000 pop.|
|Missouri:||0.60 / 10,000 pop.|
|McDonald County:||6.58 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||4.34 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||3.51 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||7.37 / 10,000 pop.|
Health and Nutrition:
|South West City:||10.6%|
|South West City:||6.8|
|South West City:||30.9%|
|South West City:||78.9%|
More about Health and Nutrition of South West City, MO Residents
|Local government employment and payroll (March 2002)|
|Function||Full-time employees||Monthly full-time payroll||Average yearly full-time wage||Part-time employees||Monthly part-time payroll|
|Streets and Highways||2||$2,609||$15,654||0||$0|
|Police Protection - Officers||5||$7,706||$18,494||2||$443|
|Other Government Administration||0||$0||5||$930|
|Judicial and Legal||0||$0||2||$1,329|
|Totals for Government||9||$14,279||$19,039||9||$2,702|
8.30% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($26,341 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Benton County, AR||1.64% ($30,672 average AGI)|
|from Newton County, MO||1.64% ($27,310)|
|from Jasper County, MO||0.54% ($23,974)|
9.22% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($23,354 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in South West City:
- KLTK (1140 AM; daytime; 0 kW; SOUTHWEST CITY, MO; Owner: KERM, INC.)
- KBTN (1420 AM; 10 kW; NEOSHO, MO; Owner: PETRACOM OF JOPLIN, L.L.C.)
- KFAQ (1170 AM; 50 kW; TULSA, OK; Owner: JOURNAL BROADCAST CORPORATION)
- KUOA (1290 AM; 5 kW; SILOAM SPRINGS, AR; Owner: KUOA, INC.)
- KFAY (1030 AM; 10 kW; FARMINGTON, AR; Owner: CUMULUS LICENSING CORP)
- KRMG (740 AM; 50 kW; TULSA, OK; Owner: CXR HOLDINGS, INC.)
- KURM (790 AM; 5 kW; ROGERS, AR; Owner: KERM, INC)
- WMBH (1560 AM; 10 kW; JOPLIN, MO)
- KREB (1190 AM; daytime; 3 kW; BENTONVILLE/BELLA VI, AR; Owner: BUTLER BROADCASTING COMPANY, LLC)
- KGGF (690 AM; 10 kW; COFFEYVILLE, KS; Owner: KGGF-KUSN, INC.)
- KTBZ (1430 AM; 25 kW; TULSA, OK; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- KKOW (860 AM; 10 kW; PITTSBURG, KS; Owner: AMERICAN MEDIA INVESTMENTS)
- KMUS (1380 AM; 20 kW; MUSKOGEE, OK; Owner: ABC, INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in South West City:
- KURM-FM (100.3 FM; SOUTHWEST CITY, MO; Owner: KERM, INC.)
- KBVA (106.5 FM; BELLA VISTA, AR; Owner: GAYLA JOY HENDREN)
- KGND (107.5 FM; KETCHUM, OK; Owner: NORTHEAST OKLAHOMA BROADCAST NETWORK)
- KGVE (99.3 FM; GROVE, OK; Owner: CALEB CORPORATION)
- KSYN (92.5 FM; JOPLIN, MO; Owner: BIG MACK BROADCASTING, INC.)
- KIXQ (102.5 FM; JOPLIN, MO; Owner: BIG MACK BROADCASTING, INC.)
- KITO-FM (96.1 FM; VINITA, OK; Owner: DLB BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- KLRC (101.1 FM; SILOAM SPRINGS, AR; Owner: JOHN BROWN UNIVERSITY)
- KMXF (101.9 FM; LOWELL, AR; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- KMCK-FM (105.7 FM; SILOAM SPRINGS, AR; Owner: CUMULUS LICENSING CORP.)
- KNEO (91.7 FM; NEOSHO, MO; Owner: SKY HIGH BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
TV broadcast stations around South West City:
- K09VM (Channel 9; ANDERSON, ETC., MO; Owner: GARY M./DEBORAH R. KENNY)
- KODE-TV (Channel 12; JOPLIN, MO; Owner: MISSION BROADCASTING, INC.)
- KOZJ (Channel 26; JOPLIN, MO; Owner: BD. OF GOVERNORS OF SW MISSOURI STATE UNIVERSITY)
- KELF-LP (Channel 43; GROVE, OK; Owner: TONY RUSSELL BICKEL)
- KCLJ-CA (Channel 46; JOPLIN/CARTHAGE, MO; Owner: GARY M./DEBORAH R. KENNY)
- K67EO (Channel 67; BENTONVILLE, AR; Owner: NEW YORK TIMES MANAGEMENT SERVICES)
- K45EI (Channel 45; BENTONVILLE & ROGERS, AR; Owner: VICTORY COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
South West City fatal accident list:
Jun 5, 1995 10:39 AM, 43, Vehicles: 1, Persons: 2, Pedestrians: 1, Fatalities: 1
Sep 26, 1991 06:35 AM, 43, Vehicles: 2, Persons: 3, Fatalities: 1, Drunken persons involved: 1
Mar 23, 1988 05:40 PM, 43, Vehicles: 1, Persons: 1, Fatalities: 1, Drunken persons involved: 1
- National Bridge Inventory (NBI) Statistics
- 3Number of bridges
- 7m23ftTotal length
- $1,457,000Total costs
- 5,233Total average daily traffic
- 779Total average daily truck traffic
- 9,156Total future (year 2034) average daily traffic
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses:6
- Call Sign: KB0IEV, Licensee ID: L00319446, Grant Date: 02/02/2001, Expiration Date: 02/02/2011, Cancellation Date: 02/05/2013, Registrant: Forrest E Frye, Box 205, South West City, MO 64863
- Call Sign: KC5IYD, Grant Date: 02/23/1995, Expiration Date: 08/09/2004, Cancellation Date: 08/10/2006, Registrant: Neal J Summers, South West City, MO 64863
- Call Sign: KC0NUS, Licensee ID: L00550770, Grant Date: 05/08/2012, Expiration Date: 07/26/2022, Certifier: Nicholas R Lett, Registrant: Nicholas R Lett, 127 Crestwood Lane, South West City, MO 64863
- Call Sign: KE0EUL, Licensee ID: L01948500, Grant Date: 06/03/2015, Expiration Date: 06/03/2025, Cancellation Date: 10/09/2015, Certifier: James G Koonce, Registrant: James G Koonce, 5541 S Highway 43, South West City, MO 64863
- Call Sign: AD0QW, Previous Call Sign: KE0EUL, Licensee ID: L01948500, Grant Date: 06/03/2015, Expiration Date: 06/03/2025, Cancellation Date: 11/17/2015, Certifier: James G Koonce, Registrant: James G Koonce, 5541 S Highway 43, South West City, MO 64863
- Call Sign: K0NCE, Previous Call Sign: AD0QW, Licensee ID: L01948500, Grant Date: 11/17/2015, Expiration Date: 11/17/2025, Certifier: James G Koonce, Registrant: James G Koonce, 5541 S Highway 43, South West City, MO 64863
Drinking water stations with addresses in South West City and their reported violations in the past:THE FILLING STATION (Address: JUNCTION 43 & O , Population served: 25, Groundwater):
Past health violations:
Past monitoring violations:
- MCL, Monthly (TCR) - In AUG-2011, Contaminant: Coliform. Follow-up actions: St Public Notif requested (AUG-30-2011), St Violation/Reminder Notice (AUG-30-2011), St Compliance achieved (JAN-22-2014)
- MCL, Monthly (TCR) - In SEP-2006, Contaminant: Coliform. Follow-up actions: St Public Notif requested (OCT-06-2006), St Violation/Reminder Notice (OCT-06-2006), St Compliance achieved (JAN-22-2014)
- MCL, Acute (TCR) - In MAY-2006, Contaminant: Coliform. Follow-up actions: St Boil Water Order (MAY-18-2006), St Formal NOV issued (MAY-18-2006), St Public Notif issued (MAY-18-2006), St Formal NOV issued (MAY-18-2006), St Public Notif requested (MAY-18-2006), St Compliance achieved (MAY-31-2006)
- MCL, Monthly (TCR) - In MAY-2006, Contaminant: Coliform. Follow-up actions: St Boil Water Order (MAY-18-2006), St Violation/Reminder Notice (MAY-18-2006), St Public Notif issued (MAY-18-2006), St Formal NOV issued (MAY-18-2006), St Public Notif requested (MAY-18-2006), St Compliance achieved (MAY-31-2006)
- Monitoring, Source Water (GWR) - In AUG-01-2011, Contaminant: E. COLI. Follow-up actions: St Violation/Reminder Notice (SEP-22-2011), St Public Notif requested (SEP-22-2011)
- 2 routine major monitoring violations
- 2 minor monitoring violations
|Most common first names in South West City, MO among deceased individuals|
|Most common last names in South West City, MO among deceased individuals|
|Last name||Count||Lived (average)|
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Electricity (65%)
- Utility gas (19%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (10%)
- Wood (5%)
- Other fuel (0%)
South West City compared to Missouri state average:
- Median household income below state average.
- Median house value below state average.
- Unemployed percentage below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly above state average.
- Median age below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly above state average.
- Renting percentage above state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher below state average.
South West City on our top lists:
- #36 on the list of "Top 101 cities with the most residents born in Guatemala (population 500+)"
- #48 (64863) on the list of "Top 101 zip codes with the lowest 2012 average net capital gain/loss (pop 1,000+)"