|Median resident age:||26.2 years|
|Washington median age:||35.3 years|
Zip code: 98952
South Yakima CCD income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2012: $125,495 (it was $85,200 in 2000)
- American Indian alone - 2,012 (46.5%)
- White alone - 1,448 (33.5%)
- Hispanic - 660 (15.3%)
- Two or more races - 164 (3.8%)
- Asian alone - 22 (0.5%)
- Black alone - 15 (0.3%)
- Other race alone - 3 (0.07%)
- Native Hawaiian and Other Pacific Islander alone - 2 (0.05%)
Current Local Time: PST time zone
Land area: 1785.8 square miles.
|Population density: 2.5 people per square mile||(very low).|
For population 25 years and over in South Yakima:
- High school or higher: 74.8%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 17.4%
- Graduate or professional degree: 8.0%
- Unemployed: 22.4%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 20.0 minutes
For population 15 years and over in South Yakima CCD:
- Never married: 29.8%
- Now married: 56.4%
- Separated: 3.0%
- Widowed: 5.0%
- Divorced: 8.8%
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|South Yakima CCD:||1.0% ($892)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Yakima, WA (26.6 miles , pop. 71,845).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Portland, OR (101.7 miles , pop. 529,121).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Los Angeles, CA (852.1 miles , pop. 3,694,820).
Nearest cities: White Swan, WA (3.2 miles ), Harrah, WA (4.0 miles ), Tampico, WA (4.3 miles ), Wapato, WA (4.7 miles ), Ahtanum, WA (4.8 miles ), Parker, WA (4.8 miles) , Yakama Reservation, WA (4.9 miles ), Summitview, WA (5.0 miles ).
Latitude: 46.27 N, Longitude: 120.82 W
Area code commonly used in this area: 509
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (31%)
- Public administration (14%)
- Construction (6%)
- Wood products (6%)
- Educational services (5%)
- Arts, entertainment, and recreation (4%)
- Groceries and related products merchant wholesalers (4%)
- Educational services (19%)
- Health care (13%)
- Social assistance (13%)
- Public administration (10%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (9%)
- Arts, entertainment, and recreation (6%)
- Administrative and support and waste management services (4%)
- Agricultural workers including supervisors (16%)
- Farmers and farm managers (7%)
- Other management occupations except farmers and farm managers (5%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (5%)
- Fishing and hunting, and forest and logging workers (5%)
- Laborers and material movers, hand (4%)
- Law enforcement workers including supervisors (4%)
- Other office and administrative support workers including supervisors (10%)
- Other teachers and instructors, education, training, and library occupations (5%)
- Bookkeeping, accounting, and auditing clerks (5%)
- Information and record clerks except customer service representatives (5%)
- Preschool, kindergarten, elementary and middle school teachers (5%)
- Cooks and food preparation workers (5%)
- Secretaries and administrative assistants (4%)
Average climate in South Yakima, Washington
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Earthquake activity:South Yakima-area historical earthquake activity is near Washington state average. It is 169% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 4/13/1949 at 19:55:42, a magnitude 7.0 (7.0 UK, Class: Major, Intensity: VIII - XII) earthquake occurred 104.9 miles away from the city center, causing $80,000,000 total damage
On 2/28/2001 at 18:54:32, a magnitude 6.8 (6.5 MB, 6.6 MS, 6.8 MW, Depth: 32.2 mi, Class: Strong, Intensity: VII - IX) earthquake occurred 101.3 miles away from South Yakima center, causing $2,000,000,000 total damage and $305,000,000 insured losses
On 4/29/1965 at 15:28:43, a magnitude 6.6 (6.6 UK) earthquake occurred 102.2 miles away from the city center, causing $28,000,000 total damage
On 10/28/1983 at 14:06:06, a magnitude 7.3 (6.2 MB, 7.3 MS, 7.0 MW) earthquake occurred 373.8 miles away from the city center, causing 2 deaths (2 shaking deaths) and 3 injuries, causing $15,000,000 total damage
On 10/3/1915 at 06:52:48, a magnitude 7.6 (7.6 UK) earthquake occurred 432.1 miles away from South Yakima center
On 1/31/1922 at 13:17:28, a magnitude 7.6 (7.6 UK) earthquake occurred 452.3 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: body-wave magnitude (MB), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Yakima County (17) is greater than the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 9
Emergencies Declared: 2
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 8, Fires: 6, Storms: 4, Heavy Rains: 2, Mudslides: 2, Snows: 2, Winter Storms: 2, Drought: 1, Hurricane: 1, Landslide: 1, Volcanic Eruption: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to South Yakima:
- Yakima Valley Community College (about 27 miles; Yakima, WA; Full-time enrollment: 3,632)
- Central Washington University (about 53 miles; Ellensburg, WA; FT enrollment: 10,960)
- Columbia Basin College (about 82 miles; Pasco, WA; FT enrollment: 5,111)
- Wenatchee Valley College (about 84 miles; Wenatchee, WA; FT enrollment: 2,951)
- Mt Hood Community College (about 93 miles; Gresham, OR; FT enrollment: 11,847)
- Pierce College at Puyallup (about 93 miles; Puyallup, WA; FT enrollment: 2,529)
- Green River Community College (about 97 miles; Auburn, WA; FT enrollment: 7,425)
Notable locations in South Yakima: Cowboy Parking Lot (A), Cougar Creek Guard Station (B), Soda Spring Campground (C), Mount Adams Golf and Country Club (D), Satus Number 2 Pumping Station (E), Satus Number 3 Pumping Station (F), White Swan Substation (G), Timberline Campground (H), Klickitat Camp (I), Camp Chaparral (J), Kesslers Ranch (K), Buck Camp (L), Brush Corral (M), Blue Jay Campground (N), Midway Guard Station (O), Potato Hill Guard Station (P), Bird Creek Meadows Picnic Area (Q), Bird Creek Campground (R), Beauty Camp (S), Jerusalem Camp (T). Display/hide their locations on the map
Churches in South Yakima include: Yakima Indian Christian Mission (A), Indian Shaker Church (B). Display/hide their locations on the map
Cemeteries: Meninik Cemetery (1), Onepennee Cemetery (2), Saint Marys Cemetery (3), Saluskin Cemetery (4), Sampson Cemetery (5), Sloutier Cemetery (6), Smina Cemetery (7). Display/hide their locations on the map
Lakes, reservoirs, and swamps: Fish Lake (A), Bench Lake (B), Shadow Lake (C), Olney Lake (D), Diamond Lake (E), Round Lake (F), Cockleburr Lake (G), Bird Lake (H). Display/hide their locations on the map
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Big Muddy Creek (A), Branch Creek (B), Butte Meadows Creek (C), Chaparral Creek (D), Clearwater Creek (E), Clock Creek (F), Cold Creek (G), Corral Creek (H), Cougar Creek (I). Display/hide their locations on the map
Parks in South Yakima include: Fullbright Park (1), Fort Simcoe Historical State Park (2), Fort Simcoe State Park (3), Toppenish National Wildlife Refuge (4). Display/hide their locations on the map
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
|This place:||3.4 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.4% of all households
- Gay men: 0.2% of all households
Residents with income below the poverty level in 2009:
Residents with income below 50% of the poverty level in 2009:
178 people in job corps and vocational training facilities in 2000
42 people in other noninstitutional group quarters in 2000
South Yakima compared to Washington state average:
- Median house value significantly below state average.
- Unemployed percentage above state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
- Number of college students below state average.
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Electricity (68%)
- Wood (18%)
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (7%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (5%)
- Other fuel (1%)
Religion statistics for South Yakima CCD (based on Yakima County data)Percentage of population affiliated with a religious congregations: 38.92%
Breakdown of population affiliated with a religious congregations
|Name||Catholic Church||LDS (Mormon) Church||Assemblies of God||Presbyterian Church (USA)||Southern Baptist Convention|
|Name||Church of the Nazarene||United Methodist Church||Seventh-Day Adventist Church||Evangelical Lutheran Church in America||Other|
Tables represent county-level data.
Food Environment Statistics:
|Yakima County:||2.24 / 10,000 pop.|
|Washington:||2.06 / 10,000 pop.|
|This county:||0.30 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||0.19 / 10,000 pop.|
|Yakima County:||0.99 / 10,000 pop.|
|Washington:||1.18 / 10,000 pop.|
|Yakima County:||3.45 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||2.67 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||5.17 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||8.26 / 10,000 pop.|
4.00% of this county's 2006 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 200532,982 ($ average adjusted gross income)
0.05% of residents moved from foreign countries($548 average AGI)
Yakima County: 0.05% Washington average: 0.26%
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2005 and 2006:
|from King County, WA||0.41% ($38,287 average AGI)|
|from Benton County, WA||0.35% ($32,261)|
|from Kittitas County, WA||0.23% ($39,665)|
4.78% of this county's 2005 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 200631,023 ($ average adjusted gross income)
0.05% of residents moved to foreign countries($459 average AGI)
Yakima County: 0.05% Washington average: 0.16%
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2005 and 2006:
Strongest AM radio stations in South Yakima:
- KYAK (930 AM; 10 kW; YAKIMA, WA)
- KPOJ (620 AM; 50 kW; PORTLAND, OR; Owner: CITICASTERS LICENSES, L.P.)
- KPAM (860 AM; 50 kW; TROUTDALE, OR; Owner: PAMPLIN BROADCASTING-OREGON, INC.)
- KXL (750 AM; 50 kW; PORTLAND, OR; Owner: ROSE CITY RADIO CORPORATION)
- KYXE (1020 AM; 5 kW; SELAH, WA; Owner: BUTTERFIELD BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- KJOX (980 AM; 5 kW; SELAH, WA; Owner: NEW NORTHWEST BROADCASTERS, LLC)
- KTBI (810 AM; daytime; 50 kW; EPHRATA, WA; Owner: TACOMA BROADCASTERS, INCORPORATED)
- KZTS (1210 AM; 10 kW; SUNNYSIDE, WA; Owner: BUTTERFIELD BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- KIT (1280 AM; 5 kW; YAKIMA, WA; Owner: CITICASTERS LICENSES, L.P.)
- KIRO (710 AM; 50 kW; SEATTLE, WA; Owner: ENTERCOM SEATTLE LICENSE, LLC)
- KTTH (770 AM; 50 kW; SEATTLE, WA; Owner: ENTERCOM SEATTLE LICENSE, LLC)
- KOTK (1080 AM; 50 kW; PORTLAND, OR; Owner: FISHER BROADCASTING - PORTLAND RADIO, L.L.C.)
- KJR (950 AM; 50 kW; SEATTLE, WA)
Strongest FM radio stations in South Yakima:
- KXDD (104.1 FM; YAKIMA, WA; Owner: NEW NORTHWEST BROADCASTERS, LLC)
- K218CX (91.5 FM; YAKIMA, WA; Owner: CALVARY CHAPEL OF TWIN FALLS, INC.)
- KSOH (89.5 FM; WAPATO, WA; Owner: LIFETALK RADIO, INC.)
- KFFM (107.3 FM; YAKIMA, WA; Owner: CITICASTERS LICENSES, L.P.)
- KMCQ (104.5 FM; THE DALLES, OR; Owner: MID-COLUMBIA BROADCASTING, INC.)
- KDNA (91.9 FM; YAKIMA, WA; Owner: NORTHWEST COMMUNITIES EDUC., CENTER)
- K215CR (90.9 FM; THE DALLES, OR; Owner: EDUCATIONAL MEDIA FOUNDATION)
- KYYT (102.3 FM; GOLDENDALE, WA; Owner: HAYSTACK BROADCASTING, INC.)
- KATS (94.5 FM; YAKIMA, WA; Owner: CITICASTERS LICENSES, L.P.)
- KNWY (90.3 FM; YAKIMA, WA; Owner: WASHINGTON STATE UNIVERSITY)
- K256AC (99.1 FM; THE DALLES, OR; Owner: CATHOLIC BROADCASTING NORTHWEST, INC)
- K201AS (88.1 FM; YAKIMA, WA; Owner: WEST VALLEY TRANSLATOR ASSOCIATION)
- KYPL (91.1 FM; YAKIMA, WA; Owner: GROWING CHRISTIAN FOUNDATION)
- KHHK (99.7 FM; YAKIMA, WA; Owner: NEW NORTHWEST BROADCASTERS, LLC)
- K204DH (88.7 FM; HANFORD, WA; Owner: CALVARY CHAPEL OF TWIN FALLS, INC.)
- KDBL (92.9 FM; TOPPENISH, WA; Owner: CITICASTERS LICENSES, L.P.)
- KZTA (96.9 FM; NACHES, WA; Owner: BUTTERFIELD BROADCASTING CORP)
- KLES (98.7 FM; MABTON, WA; Owner: ON-AIR FAMILY, LLC)
- KPQ-FM (102.1 FM; WENATCHEE, WA; Owner: WESCOAST BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- KARY-FM (100.9 FM; GRANDVIEW, WA; Owner: NEW NORTHWEST BROADCASTERS, LLC)
South Yakima on our top lists:
- #60 on the list of "Top 100 cities with largest land areas"
- #19 on the list of "Top 101 counties with the largest number of people without health insurance coverage in 2000 (pop. 50,000+)"
- #32 on the list of "Top 101 counties with the highest number of births per 1000 residents 2000-2003 (pop 50,000+)"
- #35 on the list of "Top 101 counties with the largest number of children under 18 without health insurance coverage in 2000 (pop. 50,000+)"
- #56 on the list of "Top 101 counties with the highest average weight of females"
- #80 on the list of "Top 101 counties with the largest number of people moving out compared to moving in (pop. 50,000+)"