|Median resident age:||37.9 years|
|Texas median age:||32.3 years|
Zip code: 77624
Spurger CCD income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2012: $55,366 (it was $33,800 in 2000)
- White alone - 5,355 (93.2%)
- Black alone - 184 (3.2%)
- Hispanic - 92 (1.6%)
- Two or more races - 71 (1.2%)
- American Indian alone - 40 (0.7%)
- Asian alone - 2 (0.03%)
- Other race alone - 1 (0.02%)
Current Local Time: CST time zone
Elevation: 165 feet
Land area: 258.1 square miles.
Population density: 22 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Spurger:
- High school or higher: 67.9%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 5.0%
- Graduate or professional degree: 2.1%
- Unemployed: 7.4%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 38.9 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Spurger CCD:
- Never married: 13.6%
- Now married: 66.7%
- Separated: 1.5%
- Widowed: 8.2%
- Divorced: 11.4%
According to our research of Texas and other state lists there were 6 registered sex offenders living in Spurger, Texas as of July 04, 2015.
The ratio of number of residents in Spurger to the number of sex offenders is 931 to 1.
The number of registered sex offenders compared to the number of residents in this city is smaller than the state average.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|Spurger CCD:||0.9% ($309)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Beaumont, TX (42.8 miles , pop. 113,866).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Southeast Montgomery, TX (76.5 miles , pop. 208,076).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Houston, TX (95.0 miles , pop. 1,953,631).
Nearest cities: Ivanhoe North, TX (3.5 miles ), Woodville, TX (3.7 miles ), Warren, TX (4.0 miles ), Wildwood, TX (4.2 miles ), Kirbyville, TX (4.4 miles ), Colmesneil, TX (4.4 miles ), Jasper, TX (4.5 miles ), Kountze, TX (4.8 miles ).
Latitude: 30.69 N, Longitude: 94.22 W
Area code: 409
Unemployment by year (%)
- Construction (25%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (8%)
- Wood products (7%)
- Paper (6%)
- Metal and metal products (5%)
- Mining, quarrying, and oil and gas extraction (4%)
- Public administration (4%)
- Educational services (15%)
- Health care (14%)
- Food and beverage stores (7%)
- Department and other general merchandise stores (7%)
- Public administration (7%)
- Finance and insurance (4%)
- Administrative and support and waste management services (4%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (11%)
- Metal workers and plastic workers (7%)
- Driver/sales workers and truck drivers (6%)
- Electrical equipment mechanics and other installation, maintenance, and repair occupations including supervisors (6%)
- Construction trades workers except carpenters, electricians, painters, plumbers, and construction laborers (6%)
- Carpenters (5%)
- Vehicle and mobile equipment mechanics, installers, and repairers (4%)
- Secretaries and administrative assistants (9%)
- Nursing, psychiatric, and home health aides (8%)
- Cooks and food preparation workers (7%)
- Cashiers (7%)
- Retail sales workers except cashiers (6%)
- Information and record clerks except customer service representatives (6%)
- Other sales and related workers including supervisors (5%)
Average climate in Spurger, Texas
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Spurger-area historical tornado activity is slightly above Texas state average. It is 51% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 5/13/1982, a category F3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 16.6 miles away from the Spurger place center killed one person and injured one person and caused between $50,000 and $500,000 in damages.
On 3/2/1999, a category F3 tornado 23.5 miles away from the place center killed one person and injured 6 people and caused $750,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Spurger-area historical earthquake activity is significantly below Texas state average. It is 92% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 2/10/2006 at 04:14:22, a magnitude 5.3 (4.2 MB, 5.3 MS, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 312.6 miles away from the city center
On 6/16/1978 at 11:46:54, a magnitude 5.3 (4.4 MB, 4.6 UK, 5.3 ML) earthquake occurred 417.3 miles away from Spurger center
On 1/21/1982 at 00:33:54, a magnitude 4.7 (4.5 MB, 4.7 LG, 4.5 LG, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 330.7 miles away from the city center
On 5/4/2001 at 06:42:12, a magnitude 4.7 (4.2 MB, 4.7 LG, 4.5 LG, Depth: 6.2 mi) earthquake occurred 333.3 miles away from the city center
On 9/6/1997 at 23:38:00, a magnitude 4.5 (4.5 LG, 4.2 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 303.2 miles away from Spurger center
On 4/9/1993 at 12:29:19, a magnitude 4.3 (4.1 MB, 4.3 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 268.4 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Tyler County (17) is greater than the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 9
Emergencies Declared: 7
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 6, Hurricanes: 6, Storms: 6, Fires: 4, Tornadoes: 2, Tropical Storm: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Spurger:
- Lamar Institute of Technology (about 46 miles; Beaumont, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,023)
- Lamar University (about 46 miles; Beaumont, TX; FT enrollment: 13,658)
- Angelina College (about 52 miles; Lufkin, TX; FT enrollment: 3,478)
- Stephen F Austin State University (about 66 miles; Nacogdoches, TX; FT enrollment: 11,542)
- McNeese State University (about 70 miles; Lake Charles, LA; FT enrollment: 7,444)
- SOWELA Technical Community College (about 71 miles; Lake Charles, LA; FT enrollment: 2,160)
- Sam Houston State University (about 80 miles; Huntsville, TX; FT enrollment: 16,233)
Public high school in Spurger:
- Spurger High School (Students: 154; Location: 12212 FM 92 S; Grades: 7-12; Our rating: 30)
Public elementary/middle school in Spurger:
- Spurger Elementary School (Students: 208; Location: 12212 FM 92; Grades: PK-6; Our rating: 55)
Notable locations in Spurger: Spurger Lookout (A), Town Bluff (B), Fred Volunteer Fire Department (C), Dam B Fire Department (D). Display/hide their locations on the map
Churches in Spurger include: United Church (A), Antioch Church (B), Beech Creek Church (C), East Chapel (D), Fairview Church (E), Franks Branch Church (F), Hopewell Church (G), Midway Church (H), Mount Nebo Church (I). Display/hide their locations on the map
Cemeteries: Baker and Nolan Cemetery (1), Pedigo Cemetery (2), Moffet Cemetery (3), Hopewell Cemetery (4), Supps Cemetery (5), Goalsbee Cemetery (6). Display/hide their locations on the map
Lakes and reservoirs: Birdwell Lake (A), McGallion Lake (B), McMickin Lake (C), Brushy Lake (D), Barlow Lake (E), George Lake (F), Drakes Branch Lake (G), Allison Lake (H). Display/hide their locations on the map
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Turner Branch (A), Wash Hole Branch (B), Wolf Creek (C), Steep Hollow Branch (D), Still Branch (E), Sulphur Branch (F), White Oak Branch (G), Thouching Creek (H), Tuckers Branch (I). Display/hide their locations on the map
|This place:||2.4 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.3% of all households
- Gay men: 0.1% of all households
Residents with income below the poverty level in 2009:
Residents with income below 50% of the poverty level in 2009:
Spurger compared to Texas state average:
- Median household income below state average.
- Median house value significantly below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Renting percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
- Number of college students below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher significantly below state average.
Banks with branches in Spurger (2011 data):
- Citizens State Bank: Spurger Branch at 103 Fm 92 South, branch established on 1997/08/13. Info updated 2006/11/03: Bank assets: $129.1 mil, Deposits: $110.5 mil, headquarters in Woodville, TX, positive income, Mortgage Lending Specialization, 5 total offices, Holding Company: Ram Security Holdings Gp, Inc.
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Electricity (56%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (35%)
- Wood (7%)
- Utility gas (2%)
Presidential Elections Results
1996 Presidential Elections Results
2000 Presidential Elections Results
2004 Presidential Elections Results
2008 Presidential Elections Results
2012 Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Spurger CCD (based on Tyler County data)Percentage of population affiliated with a religious congregations: 61.40%
Breakdown of population affiliated with a religious congregations
|Name||Southern Baptist Convention||United Methodist Church||Assemblies of God||Catholic Church||Churches of Christ|
|Name||LDS (Mormon) Church||Baptist Missionary Association of America||American Baptist Association||Episcopal Church||Other|
Tables represent county-level data.
Food Environment Statistics:
|Tyler County:||1.97 / 10,000 pop.|
|Texas:||1.47 / 10,000 pop.|
|Tyler County:||5.41 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||3.95 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||3.93 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||6.13 / 10,000 pop.|
6.50% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($39,323 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Hardin County, TX||1.08% ($42,892 average AGI)|
|from Jefferson County, TX||0.68% ($42,927)|
|from Harris County, TX||0.65% ($65,974)|
7.36% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($33,753 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Spurger:
- KTRH (740 AM; 50 kW; HOUSTON, TX; Owner: AMFM TEXAS LICENSES LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- KTXJ (1350 AM; 5 kW; JASPER, TX; Owner: LASTING VALUE RADIO, INC.)
- KGOL (1180 AM; 50 kW; HUMBLE, TX; Owner: ENTRAVISION HOLDINGS, LLC)
- KWUD (1490 AM; 1 kW; WOODVILLE, TX; Owner: CARROLL TEXAS BROADCASTING, LTD.)
- KLVI (560 AM; 5 kW; BEAUMONT, TX; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- KEEL (710 AM; 50 kW; SHREVEPORT, LA; Owner: CITICASTERS LICENSES, L.P.)
- KSEV (700 AM; 15 kW; TOMBALL, TX; Owner: LIBERMAN BROADCASTING OF HOUSTON LICENSE CORP.)
- KWKH (1130 AM; 50 kW; SHREVEPORT, LA; Owner: CITICASTERS LICENSES, L.P.)
- KILE (1560 AM; 50 kW; BELLAIRE, TX; Owner: THE RAFTT CORPORATION)
- KETX (1440 AM; 5 kW; LIVINGSTON, TX; Owner: LONE STAR NETWORK)
- KJOJ (880 AM; 10 kW; CONROE, TX; Owner: LIBERMAN BROADCASTING OF HOUSTON LICENSE CORP.)
- KQHN (1510 AM; daytime; 5 kW; NEDERLAND, TX; Owner: CUMULUS LICENSING CORP.)
- KLAT (1010 AM; 10 kW; HOUSTON, TX; Owner: TICHENOR LICENSE CORPORATION ("TLC"))
Strongest FM radio stations in Spurger:
- KRWP (97.5 FM; BEAUMONT, TX; Owner: CUMULUS LICENSING CORP.)
- KIOC (106.1 FM; ORANGE, TX; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- KQBU-FM (93.3 FM; PORT ARTHUR, TX; Owner: TICHENOR LICENSE CORPORATION ("TLC"))
- KQQK (107.9 FM; BEAUMONT, TX; Owner: LIBERMAN BROADCASTING OF HOUSTON LICENSE CORP.)
- KTJM (98.5 FM; PORT ARTHUR, TX; Owner: LIBERMAN BROADCASTING OF HOUSTON LICENSE CORP.)
- KTHT (97.1 FM; CLEVELAND, TX; Owner: CXR HOLDINGS, INC.)
- KVST (103.7 FM; WILLIS, TX; Owner: NEW WAVO COMMUNICATION GROUP, INC.)
- KJAS (107.3 FM; JASPER, TX; Owner: JAMES M. LOUT DBA RAYBURN BROADCASTING CO.)
- KOBT (100.7 FM; WINNIE, TX; Owner: TICHENOR LICENSE CORPORATION ("TLC"))
- KQXY-FM (94.1 FM; BEAUMONT, TX; Owner: CUMULUS LICENSING CORP.)
- KAYD-FM (101.7 FM; SILSBEE, TX; Owner: HILCO COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- KKMY (104.5 FM; ORANGE, TX; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- KYKR (95.1 FM; BEAUMONT, TX; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- KWYX (102.7 FM; JASPER, TX; Owner: LASTING VALUE RADIO, INC.)
- K225AD (92.9 FM; JASPER, TX; Owner: THE KSBJ EDUCATIONAL FOUNDATION)
TV broadcast stations around Spurger:
- K09VO (Channel 9; BEAUMONT, TX; Owner: BEAUMONT BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- KBTV-TV (Channel 4; PORT ARTHUR, TX; Owner: NEXSTAR BROADCASTING OF BEAUMONT/PORT ARTHUR, L.L.C.)
- KVHP (Channel 29; LAKE CHARLES, LA; Owner: NATIONAL COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- KITU (Channel 34; BEAUMONT, TX; Owner: COMMUNITY EDUCATIONAL TELEVISION INC)
- KFDM-TV (Channel 6; BEAUMONT, TX; Owner: FREEDOM BROADCASTING OF TEXAS, INC.)
- KBMT (Channel 12; BEAUMONT, TX; Owner: CHANNEL 12 OF BEAUMONT, INC.)
- KVHP-LP (Channel 66; JASPER, TX; Owner: SYDCOM, INC.)
Fatal road traffic accident statistics for 1975 - 2011 (per 100,000 population)
- Fatal accident count: 8
- Vehicles involved in fatal accidents: 12
- Fatal accidents caused by drunken drivers: 5
- Fatalities: 9
- Persons involved in fatal accidents: 27
- Pedestrians involved in fatal accidents: 1
- Fatal accident count: 177
- Vehicles involved in fatal accidents: 268
- Fatal accidents caused by drunken drivers: 51
- Fatalities: 194
- Persons involved in fatal accidents: 461
- Pedestrians involved in fatal accidents: 26
FCC Registered Cell Phone Towers:1 (See the full list of FCC Registered Cell Phone Towers in Spurger)
FCC Registered Antenna Towers:24 (See the full list of FCC Registered Antenna Towers)
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses:6
- Call Sign: N5KDD, Licensee ID: L00247808
Grant Date: 08/16/2010, Expiration Date: 11/13/2020, Certifier: Elven R Forse
Registrant: Elven R Forse, Spurger, TX 77660-0266
- Call Sign: N5KZM, Licensee ID: L01267006
Grant Date: 04/09/2007, Expiration Date: 06/13/2017, Certifier: Frances E Forse
Registrant: Frances E Forse, Spurger, TX 77660
- Call Sign: W5ELT, Previous Call Sign: KA5ELT, Licensee ID: L01376974
Grant Date: 03/07/2008, Expiration Date: 01/23/2018
Registrant: William H Sheffield, 16644 Fm 92 South, Spurger, TX 77660
- Call Sign: KE5MWY, Licensee ID: L01252114
Grant Date: 03/07/2007, Expiration Date: 03/07/2017, Certifier: Britton M Spurlock
Registrant: Britton M Spurlock, 730 Cr 4565, Spurger, TX 77660
- Call Sign: KF5HCN, Licensee ID: L01573013
Grant Date: 06/01/2010, Expiration Date: 06/01/2020, Certifier: John J Vandenberg
Registrant: John J Vandenberg, Spurger, TX 77660
- Call Sign: KF5LKG, Licensee ID: L01644715
Grant Date: 06/15/2011, Expiration Date: 06/15/2021, Certifier: David W D'Arcy
Registrant: David W D\'Arcy, 14549 Fm. 92 S., Spurger, TX 77660-0203
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 5
- Good Intent Call: 1
Spurger on our top lists:
- #17 on the list of "Top 100 cities with lowest ratio of median house value to median household income (pop. 5,000+)"