|Median resident age:||43.9 years|
|Maine median age:||43.0 years|
Zip codes: 04971.
St. Albans town income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2012: $105,581 (it was $65,600 in 2000)
- White alone - 1,954 (97.5%)
- Two or more races - 25 (1.2%)
- American Indian alone - 8 (0.4%)
- Hispanic - 9 (0.4%)
- Asian alone - 7 (0.3%)
- Black alone - 2 (0.10%)
|St. Albans area...any input? (3 replies)|
|Cape Elizabeth Questions (13 replies)|
|Palmyra (4 replies)|
|Maine...question about zoning, bldg. regs (22 replies)|
|Feedback on Harmony, ME (14 replies)|
|Maine-grown wheat? (13 replies)|
Latest news from St. Albans, ME collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: English (21.7%), United States (16.1%), Irish (13.1%), French (12.5%), German (5.1%), Scottish (4.4%).
Current Local Time: EST time zone
Incorporated on 06/14/1813
Elevation: 275 feet
Land area: 44.8 square miles.Population density: 45 people per square mile (very low).
For population 25 years and over in St. Albans:
- High school or higher: 74.5%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 10.1%
- Graduate or professional degree: 3.8%
- Unemployed: 7.0%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 27.2 minutes
For population 15 years and over in St. Albans town:
- Never married: 20.8%
- Now married: 60.6%
- Separated: 1.5%
- Widowed: 5.1%
- Divorced: 12.0%
35 residents are foreign born
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|St. Albans town:||0.9% ($611)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Portland, ME (97.6 miles , pop. 64,249).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Boston, MA (199.3 miles , pop. 589,141).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Bronx, NY (362.3 miles , pop. 1,332,650).
Nearest cities: Hartland, ME (2.1 miles ), Ripley, ME (2.3 miles ), Palmyra, ME (2.4 miles ), Corinna, ME (2.6 miles ), Cambridge, ME (2.8 miles ), Harmony, ME (2.8 miles ), Dexter, ME (2.8 miles ), Newport, ME (2.9 miles ).
Latitude: 44.93 N, Longitude: 69.39 W
Area code commonly used in this area: 207
- Construction (17%)
- Leather and allied products (10%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (10%)
- Wood products (5%)
- Truck transportation (4%)
- Paper (3%)
- Motor vehicle and parts dealers (3%)
- Health care (15%)
- Educational services (12%)
- Leather and allied products (11%)
- Social assistance (7%)
- Accommodation and food services (6%)
- Food and beverage stores (6%)
- Miscellaneous manufacturing (5%)
- Driver/sales workers and truck drivers (6%)
- Laborers and material movers, hand (6%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (5%)
- Electrical equipment mechanics and other installation, maintenance, and repair occupations including supervisors (5%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (5%)
- Vehicle and mobile equipment mechanics, installers, and repairers (4%)
- Metal workers and plastic workers (4%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (8%)
- Cashiers (7%)
- Textile, apparel, and furnishings workers (6%)
- Child care workers (5%)
- Other office and administrative support workers including supervisors (5%)
- Nursing, psychiatric, and home health aides (4%)
- Preschool, kindergarten, elementary and middle school teachers (4%)
Average climate in St. Albans, Maine
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Earthquake activity:St. Albans-area historical earthquake activity is near Maine state average. It is 93% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 4/20/2002 at 10:50:47, a magnitude 5.2 (5.2 MB, 4.2 MS, 5.2 MW, 5.0 MW, Depth: 6.8 mi, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 215.0 miles away from the city center
On 10/7/1983 at 10:18:46, a magnitude 5.3 (5.1 MB, 5.3 LG, 5.1 ML) earthquake occurred 253.7 miles away from St. Albans center
On 1/19/1982 at 00:14:42, a magnitude 4.7 (4.5 MB, 4.7 MD, 4.5 LG, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 147.6 miles away from the city center
On 10/3/2006 at 00:07:38, a magnitude 4.3 (3.8 MB, 3.8 MW, 4.3 LG, Depth: 4.0 mi) earthquake occurred 73.2 miles away from the city center
On 2/26/1999 at 03:38:43, a magnitude 3.8 (3.8 LG, Depth: 2.0 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: II - III) earthquake occurred 31.6 miles away from St. Albans center
On 1/17/2000 at 08:16:20, a magnitude 3.6 (3.6 LG, 3.4 LG, Depth: 10.1 mi) earthquake occurred 57.3 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), duration magnitude (MD), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Somerset County (22) is a lot greater than the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 15
Emergencies Declared: 7
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 13, Storms: 12, Snows: 7, Heavy Rains: 2, Hurricanes: 2, Blizzard: 1, Ice Storm: 1, Landslide: 1, Snowfall: 1, Wind: 1, Winter Storm: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Birthplace of: Alfred Dudley Turner - Composer.
Hospitals and medical centers near St. Albans:
- SQUARE ROAD GROUP HOME (Hospital, about 4 miles away; SAINT ALBANS, ME)
- SANFIELD REHAB AND LIVING CENTER (Nursing Home, about 5 miles away; HARTLAND, ME)
- DEXTER HEALTH CARE (Nursing Home, about 9 miles away; DEXTER, ME)
- SEBASTICOOK VALLEY HOSPITAL Critical Access Hospitals (about 10 miles away; PITTSFIELD, ME)
- PITTSFIELD REHAB AND NURSING (Nursing Home, about 10 miles away; PITTSFIELD, ME)
- BIRCH GROVE REHAB AND LIVING CTR (Nursing Home, about 10 miles away; PITTSFIELD, ME)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to St. Albans:
- Husson University (about 31 miles; Bangor, ME; Full-time enrollment: 2,421)
- University of Maine (about 36 miles; Orono, ME; FT enrollment: 8,931)
- University of Maine at Farmington (about 42 miles; Farmington, ME; FT enrollment: 2,036)
- University of Maine at Augusta (about 46 miles; Augusta, ME; FT enrollment: 3,204)
- Saint Joseph's College of Maine (about 94 miles; Standish, ME; FT enrollment: 2,010)
- Southern Maine Community College (about 98 miles; South Portland, ME; FT enrollment: 4,666)
- University of Southern Maine (about 98 miles; Portland, ME; FT enrollment: 6,647)
Notable locations in St. Albans: Wild Goose Club (A), Big Indian Camps (B), Saint Albans Volunteer Fire Department (C). Display/hide their locations on the map
Church in St. Albans: Saint Albans Union Church (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Cemeteries: Watson Cemetery (1), Village Cemetery (2), Wing Cemetery (3). Display/hide their locations on the map
Lakes and reservoirs: Halfmoon Pond (A), Little Indian Pond (B), Indian Pond (C), Mulligan Stream (D), Indian Pond (E), Indian Stream Reservoir (F). Display/hide their locations on the map
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Snell Brook (A), Robinson Brook (B), Ripley Stream (C), Ray Brook (D), Meloon Brook (E), Bog Brook (F). Display/hide their locations on the map
Park in St. Albans: Saint Albans Game Management Area (1). Display/hide its location on the map
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2001 was 74.9. This is about average.
Ozone [ppb] level in 2001 was 28.8. This is about average. Closest monitor was 18.4 miles away from the city center.
|This town:||2.5 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.1% of all households
- Gay men: 0.5% of all households
Residents with income below the poverty level in 2009:
Residents with income below 50% of the poverty level in 2009:
18 people in homes for the mentally retarded in 2000
6 people in other group homes in 2000
St. Albans compared to Maine state average:
- Median house value significantly below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage below state average.
- Renting percentage below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
- Number of college students below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher below state average.
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (79%)
- Wood (18%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (3%)
- Electricity (1%)
Religion statistics for St. Albans town (based on Somerset County data)Percentage of population affiliated with a religious congregations: 29.86%
Breakdown of population affiliated with a religious congregations
|Name||Catholic Church||United Methodist Church||American Baptist Churches in the USA||Church of the Nazarene||National Association of Congregational Christian Churches|
|Name||Assemblies of God||Seventh-Day Adventist Church||United Church of Christ||LDS (Mormon) Church||Other|
Tables represent county-level data.
Food Environment Statistics:
|Somerset County:||2.52 / 10,000 pop.|
|Maine:||2.80 / 10,000 pop.|
|This county:||0.19 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||0.14 / 10,000 pop.|
|Somerset County:||2.71 / 10,000 pop.|
|Maine:||2.20 / 10,000 pop.|
|Somerset County:||9.31 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||5.75 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||8.14 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||11.02 / 10,000 pop.|
7.04% of this county's 2006 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2005 ($30,924 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2005 and 2006.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2005 and 2006:
|from Kennebec County, ME||2.09% ($29,363 average AGI)|
|from Penobscot County, ME||0.92% ($25,090)|
|from Franklin County, ME||0.30% ($36,655)|
6.50% of this county's 2005 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2006 ($28,094 average adjusted gross income)
0.06% of residents moved to foreign countries ($151 average AGI)
Somerset County: 0.06% Maine average: 0.07%
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2005 and 2006:
Strongest AM radio stations in St. Albans:
- WSKW (1160 AM; 10 kW; SKOWHEGAN, ME; Owner: MOUNTAIN WIRELESS, INCORPORATED)
- WZON (620 AM; 5 kW; BANGOR, ME; Owner: THE ZONE CORPORATION)
- WABI (910 AM; 5 kW; BANGOR, ME; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WTME (780 AM; 10 kW; RUMFORD, ME; Owner: MOUNTAIN VALLEY BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WRKO (680 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WFAU (1280 AM; 5 kW; GARDINER, ME; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WEEI (850 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WBZ (1030 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WDEA (1370 AM; 5 kW; ELLSWORTH, ME; Owner: CUMULUS LICENSING CORP.)
- WCRN (830 AM; 50 kW; WORCESTER, MA; Owner: CARTER BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WNNZ (640 AM; 50 kW; WESTFIELD, MA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WCHP (760 AM; 35 kW; CHAMPLAIN, NY; Owner: CHAMPLAIN RADIO, INC.)
- WMTW (870 AM; 10 kW; GORHAM, ME; Owner: RADIO PARTNERS OF MAINE, L.P.)
Strongest FM radio stations in St. Albans:
- WGUY (102.1 FM; DEXTER, ME; Owner: CONCORD MEDIA GROUP, INC.)
- WQCB (106.5 FM; BREWER, ME; Owner: CUMULUS LICENSING CORP.)
- WJCX (99.5 FM; PITTSFIELD, ME; Owner: CSN INTERNATIONAL)
- WWBX (97.1 FM; BANGOR, ME; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WTOS-FM (105.1 FM; SKOWHEGAN, ME; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WHQO (107.9 FM; SKOWHEGAN, ME; Owner: MOUNTAIN WIRELESS, INC.)
- WCTB (93.5 FM; FAIRFIELD, ME; Owner: MOUNTAIN WIRELESS, INC.)
- WBFB (104.7 FM; BELFAST, ME; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WVOM (103.9 FM; HOWLAND, ME; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WHCF (88.5 FM; BANGOR, ME; Owner: BANGOR BAPTIST CHURCH)
- WKIT-FM (100.3 FM; BREWER, ME; Owner: THE ZONE CORPORATION)
- WWMJ (95.7 FM; ELLSWORTH, ME; Owner: CUMULUS LICENSING CORP.)
- WFZX (101.7 FM; SEARSPORT, ME; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WWWA (95.3 FM; WINSLOW, ME; Owner: LIGHT OF LIFE MINISTRIES, INC.)
- WDME-FM (103.1 FM; DOVER-FOXCROFT, ME; Owner: THE ZONE CORPORATION)
- WBZN (107.3 FM; OLD TOWN, ME; Owner: CUMULUS LICENSING CORP.)
TV broadcast stations around St. Albans:
- WABI-TV (Channel 5; BANGOR, ME; Owner: COMMUNITY BROADCASTING SERVICE)
- W36CK (Channel 36; BANGOR, ME; Owner: TRINITY BROADCASTING NETWORK)
Total length: 4 meters (13ft)
Total costs: $1,277,000
Total average daily traffic: 3,160
Total average daily truck traffic: 245
Total future (year 2031) average daily traffic: 4,740
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 9
- Hazardous Condition: 41
- Good Intent Call: 2
Incident types - St. Albans
Total of 1 patent application in 2008-2015.