St. Francis, Maine
St. Francis: Sunset looking West toward the St.John River from porch at St.Francis Maine home
St. Francis: Sunset looking West toward the St.John River from porch at St.Francis home
We are giving away $1200 in prizes - enter simply by sending us your own city pictures!
|Median resident age:||51.3 years|
|Maine median age:||43.0 years|
Zip codes: 04774.
Estimated per capita income in 2013: $18,953 (it was $13,496 in 2000)
St. Francis town income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2013: $67,955 (it was $43,900 in 2000)
Races in St. Francis, ME (2010)
- 46796.3%White alone
- 91.9%American Indian alone
- 61.2%Two or more races
|Maine weather thread (905 replies)|
|Looking for Fort Kent and surrounding area info (24 replies)|
|WAGM Morning News (10 replies)|
|will I have trouble not speaking French in northern Aroostook County? (21 replies)|
|What would be the classic Maine cuisine? (64 replies)|
|On disability- want to move to Maine... (9 replies)|
Latest news from St. Francis, ME collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: United States (46.3%), French (33.4%), Irish (11.4%), French Canadian (6.4%), English (4.3%), Italian (1.0%).
Current Local Time: EST time zone
Incorporated on 03/01/1967
Elevation: 597 feet
Land area: 29.8 square miles.
Population density: 16 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in St. Francis:
- High school or higher: 64.7%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 9.1%
- Graduate or professional degree: 1.2%
- Unemployed: 10.4%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 39.1 minutes
For population 15 years and over in St. Francis town:
- Never married: 23.5%
- Now married: 63.3%
- Separated: 0.4%
- Widowed: 7.2%
- Divorced: 5.6%
14 residents are foreign born (2.4% North America).
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|St. Francis town:||0.8% ($368)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Portland, ME (251.3 miles , pop. 64,249).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Boston, MA (352.1 miles , pop. 589,141).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Bronx, NY (502.5 miles , pop. 1,332,650).
Nearest cities: Allagash, ME (3.2 miles ), Wallagrass, ME (3.5 miles ), Eagle Lake, ME (3.8 miles ), Fort Kent, ME (3.9 miles ), New Canada, ME (4.1 miles ), Frenchville, ME (4.9 miles ), St. Agatha, ME (5.1 miles ), Madawaska, ME (5.3 miles ).
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1999: 1 building, cost: $60,000
- 2000: 1 building, cost: $60,000
- 2001: 1 building, cost: $60,000
- 2002: 1 building, cost: $60,000
- 2003: 1 building, cost: $60,000
- 2004: 1 building, cost: $60,000
- 2005: 1 building, cost: $60,000
- 2006: 1 building, cost: $60,000
Number of permits per 10,000 residents
Average cost (in $1000s)
Latitude: 47.16 N, Longitude: 68.87 W
Area code commonly used in this area: 207
Unemployment by year (%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (48%)
- Wood products (14%)
- Truck transportation (6%)
- Construction (5%)
- Food and beverage stores (3%)
- Public administration (3%)
- Lumber and other construction materials merchant wholesalers (3%)
- Health care (17%)
- Educational services (16%)
- Food and beverage stores (10%)
- Personal and laundry services (8%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (7%)
- Religious, grantmaking, civic, professional, and similar organizations (7%)
- Wood products (5%)
- Fishing and hunting, and forest and logging workers (16%)
- Agricultural workers including supervisors (10%)
- Laborers and material movers, hand (10%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (7%)
- Driver/sales workers and truck drivers (6%)
- Carpenters (4%)
- Woodworkers (4%)
- Nursing, psychiatric, and home health aides (10%)
- Secretaries and administrative assistants (9%)
- Cooks and food preparation workers (8%)
- Personal appearance workers (8%)
- Bookkeeping, accounting, and auditing clerks (7%)
- Laborers and material movers, hand (7%)
- Cashiers (7%)
Average climate in St. Francis, Maine
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Earthquake activity:St. Francis-area historical earthquake activity is below Maine state average. It is 95% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 7/14/2006 at 09:34:49, a magnitude 4.0 (3.5 MW, 4.0 LG, Depth: 14.9 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 18.8 miles away from the city center
On 4/20/2002 at 10:50:47, a magnitude 5.2 (5.2 MB, 4.2 MS, 5.2 MW, 5.0 MW, Depth: 6.8 mi, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 297.9 miles away from St. Francis center
On 10/7/1983 at 10:18:46, a magnitude 5.3 (5.1 MB, 5.3 LG, 5.1 ML) earthquake occurred 345.5 miles away from the city center
On 10/3/2006 at 00:07:38, a magnitude 4.3 (3.8 MB, 3.8 MW, 4.3 LG, Depth: 4.0 mi) earthquake occurred 198.1 miles away from the city center
On 1/19/1982 at 00:14:42, a magnitude 4.7 (4.5 MB, 4.7 MD, 4.5 LG) earthquake occurred 286.0 miles away from St. Francis center
On 9/16/1994 at 04:22:42, a magnitude 3.6 (3.6 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: II - III) earthquake occurred 132.2 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), duration magnitude (MD), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Aroostook County (21) is a lot greater than the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 12
Emergencies Declared: 9
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 10, Storms: 8, Snows: 7, Heavy Rains: 2, Blizzard: 1, Hurricane: 1, Ice Storm: 1, Snowfall: 1, Snowstorm: 1, Wind: 1, Winter Storm: 1, Other: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to St. Francis:
- University of Maine (about 158 miles; Orono, ME; Full-time enrollment: 8,931)
- Husson University (about 162 miles; Bangor, ME; FT enrollment: 2,421)
- University of Maine at Farmington (about 184 miles; Farmington, ME; FT enrollment: 2,036)
- University of Maine at Augusta (about 201 miles; Augusta, ME; FT enrollment: 3,204)
- Saint Joseph's College of Maine (about 244 miles; Standish, ME; FT enrollment: 2,010)
- University of Southern Maine (about 252 miles; Portland, ME; FT enrollment: 6,647)
- Southern Maine Community College (about 252 miles; South Portland, ME; FT enrollment: 4,666)
Notable location: Saint Frances Fire Department (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Church in St. Francis: Saint Francis Catholic Church (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Cemeteries: Old Saint Charles Cemetery (1), Saint Charles Cemetery (2), Saint Pauls Congregational Cemetery (3). Display/hide their locations on the map
Lakes: Bran Lake (A), McLean Lake (B). Display/hide their locations on the map
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Thibideau Brook (A), McLean Brook (B), Wiggins Brook (C), Petite Brook (D). Display/hide their locations on the map
|This town:||2.1 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
No gay or lesbian households reported
Residents with income below the poverty level in 2009:
Residents with income below 50% of the poverty level in 2009:
St. Francis compared to Maine state average:
- Median house value significantly below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage below state average.
- Median age significantly above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher below state average.
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (77%)
- Wood (22%)
- No fuel used (1%)
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for St. Francis town (based on Aroostook County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Aroostook County:||4.03 / 10,000 pop.|
|Maine:||2.80 / 10,000 pop.|
|This county:||0.14 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||0.14 / 10,000 pop.|
|Aroostook County:||2.22 / 10,000 pop.|
|Maine:||2.20 / 10,000 pop.|
|Aroostook County:||7.78 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||5.75 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||9.17 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||11.02 / 10,000 pop.|
3.21% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($33,766 average adjusted gross income)
0.08% of residents moved from foreign countries ($1,181 average AGI)
Aroostook County: 0.08% Maine average: 0.04%
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Penobscot County, ME||0.46% ($28,764 average AGI)|
|from Cumberland County, ME||0.20% ($23,132)|
|from Hartford County, CT||0.09% ($34,920)|
3.74% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($34,623 average adjusted gross income)
0.11% of residents moved to foreign countries ($830 average AGI)
Aroostook County: 0.11% Maine average: 0.05%
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in St. Francis:
- WFST (600 AM; 5 kW; CARIBOU, ME; Owner: NORTHERN BROADCAST MINISTRIES, INC.)
- WEGP (1390 AM; 5 kW; PRESQUE ISLE, ME; Owner: DECELLES/SMITH MEDIA, INC.)
- WREM (710 AM; daytime; 5 kW; MONTICELLO, ME; Owner: ALLAN H WEINER)
- WCHP (760 AM; 35 kW; CHAMPLAIN, NY; Owner: CHAMPLAIN RADIO, INC.)
- WRKO (680 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WNNZ (640 AM; 50 kW; WESTFIELD, MA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WEEI (850 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WCRN (830 AM; 50 kW; WORCESTER, MA; Owner: CARTER BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WBZ (1030 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WGY (810 AM; 50 kW; SCHENECTADY, NY; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WICY (1490 AM; 50 kW; MALONE, NY; Owner: CARTIER COMMUNICATIONS INC.)
- WALE (990 AM; 50 kW; GREENVILLE, RI; Owner: NORTH AMERICAN BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- WKOX (1200 AM; 50 kW; FRAMINGHAM, MA; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
Strongest FM radio stations in St. Francis:
- WBPW (96.9 FM; PRESQUE ISLE, ME; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WMEF (106.5 FM; FORT KENT, ME; Owner: MAINE PUBLIC BROADCASTING CORP)
- WCXX (102.3 FM; MADAWASKA, ME; Owner: THE CANXUS BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
TV broadcast stations around St. Francis:
- W02AU (Channel 2; ST. FRANCIS, ME; Owner: ST. FRANCIS CHAMBER OF COMMERCE)
- W04AY (Channel 4; ST. FRANCIS, ME; Owner: MAINE PUBLIC BROADCASTING CORP.)
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 4
St. Francis on our top lists:
- #16 on the list of "Top 100 least racially diverse cities"
- #21 (04774) on the list of "Top 101 zip codes with the largest percentage of residents speaking Indo-European language at home"
- #92 (04774) on the list of "Top 101 zip codes with the largest percentage of French (except Basque) first ancestries"
- #12 on the list of "Top 101 counties with the largest increase in the number of deaths per 1000 residents 1990-1999 to 2000-2003 (pop. 50,000+)"
- #22 on the list of "Top 101 counties with the lowest percentage of residents relocating to other counties in 2006"
- #71 on the list of "Top 101 counties with the lowest percentage of residents relocating from other counties between 2005 and 2006"
- #86 on the list of "Top 101 counties with the highest number of deaths per 1000 residents 2000-2003 (pop. 50,000+)"