|Median resident age:||52.2 years|
|Wisconsin median age:||42.6 years|
Zip codes: 54558.
St. Germain town income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2012: $190,928 (it was $121,000 in 2000)
- White alone - 2,016 (96.7%)
- Hispanic - 25 (1.2%)
- Two or more races - 21 (1.0%)
- Black alone - 8 (0.4%)
- Asian alone - 8 (0.4%)
- American Indian alone - 6 (0.3%)
- Other race alone - 1 (0.05%)
|Best Place for Vacation Home (20 replies)|
|Where are the most beautiful rural areas of Wisconsin? (50 replies)|
|Best Rural/Country areas to live in (29 replies)|
|Top 5 Fav. WI Cities (48 replies)|
|Visiting Tomahawk (4 replies)|
|What do you like best about living in WI (rural)? (40 replies)|
Latest news from St. Germain, WI collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: German (46.0%), Irish (13.0%), Polish (10.2%), English (9.2%), Swedish (6.1%), Norwegian (5.7%).
Current Local Time: CST time zone
Elevation: 1630 feet
Land area: 34.0 square miles.
Population density: 61 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in St. Germain:
- High school or higher: 86.6%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 15.5%
- Graduate or professional degree: 3.0%
- Unemployed: 6.4%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 18.9 minutes
For population 15 years and over in St. Germain town:
- Never married: 12.8%
- Now married: 71.4%
- Separated: 0.4%
- Widowed: 9.3%
- Divorced: 6.1%
38 residents are foreign born
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|St. Germain town:||1.2% ($1,453)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Green Bay, WI (121.3 miles , pop. 102,313).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: St. Paul, MN (188.5 miles , pop. 287,151).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Chicago, IL (296.8 miles , pop. 2,896,016).
Nearest cities: Sayner, WI (2.1 miles ), Cloverland, WI (2.3 miles ), Plum Lake, WI (2.7 miles ), Woodruff, WI (3.0 miles ), Arbor Vitae, WI (3.1 miles ), Sugar Camp, WI (3.2 miles ), Eagle River, WI (3.4 miles ), Newbold, WI (3.4 miles ).
Latitude: 45.93 N, Longitude: 89.49 W
Area code commonly used in this area: 715
Unemployment by year (%)
- Construction (20%)
- Accommodation and food services (14%)
- Public administration (5%)
- Food and beverage stores (5%)
- Arts, entertainment, and recreation (5%)
- Real estate and rental and leasing (4%)
- Motor vehicle and parts dealers (4%)
- Accommodation and food services (15%)
- Health care (13%)
- Educational services (10%)
- Food and beverage stores (6%)
- Public administration (5%)
- Finance and insurance (5%)
- Publishing, and motion picture and sound recording industries (5%)
- Other sales and related workers including supervisors (12%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (8%)
- Carpenters (7%)
- Other management occupations except farmers and farm managers (5%)
- Construction trades workers except carpenters, electricians, painters, plumbers, and construction laborers (4%)
- Sales representatives, services, wholesale and manufacturing (4%)
- Electrical equipment mechanics and other installation, maintenance, and repair occupations including supervisors (4%)
- Secretaries and administrative assistants (11%)
- Cashiers (9%)
- Preschool, kindergarten, elementary and middle school teachers (6%)
- Bookkeeping, accounting, and auditing clerks (5%)
- Information and record clerks except customer service representatives (4%)
- Cooks and food preparation workers (4%)
- Other office and administrative support workers including supervisors (4%)
Average climate in St. Germain, Wisconsin
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
St. Germain-area historical tornado activity is significantly below Wisconsin state average. It is 55% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 6/25/1950, a category F4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 19.5 miles away from the St. Germain town center killed 2 people and injured 12 people and caused between $50,000 and $500,000 in damages.
On 4/27/1984, a category F3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 9.8 miles away from the town center killed one person and injured 8 people and caused between $5,000,000 and $50,000,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:St. Germain-area historical earthquake activity is significantly below Wisconsin state average. It is 97% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 7/9/1975 at 14:54:15, a magnitude 4.6 (4.6 MB, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 316.5 miles away from the city center
On 6/28/2004 at 06:10:52, a magnitude 4.2 (4.0 MB, 4.2 MW, Depth: 6.2 mi) earthquake occurred 310.5 miles away from St. Germain center
On 6/5/1993 at 01:24:53, a magnitude 4.1 (4.1 LG, Depth: 6.2 mi) earthquake occurred 328.6 miles away from the city center
On 1/31/1986 at 16:46:43, a magnitude 5.0 (5.0 MB, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 512.0 miles away from the city center
On 9/2/1999 at 16:17:29, a magnitude 3.5 (3.5 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: II - III) earthquake occurred 291.1 miles away from St. Germain center
On 9/25/1998 at 19:52:52, a magnitude 5.2 (4.8 MB, 4.3 MS, 5.2 LG, 4.5 MW, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 547.9 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Vilas County (4) is a lot smaller than the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 1
Emergencies Declared: 3
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 2, Storms: 2, Drought: 1, Hurricane: 1, Wind: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Hospitals and medical centers near St. Germain:
- DR KATE'S WOODLAND MANOR (Nursing Home, about 9 miles away; WOODRUFF, WI)
- DAVITA - NORTHERN STAR DIALYSIS (Dialysis Facility, about 11 miles away; WOODRUFF, WI)
- EAGLE RIVER MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (Hospital, about 12 miles away; EAGLE RIVER, WI)
- EAGLE RIVER HLTH CARE CTR (Nursing Home, about 12 miles away; EAGLE RIVER, WI)
- AVANTI HEALTH AND REHABILITATION CENTER, LLC (Nursing Home, about 13 miles away; MINOCQUA, WI)
located in St. Germain:
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to St. Germain:
- Northcentral Technical College (about 66 miles; Wausau, WI; Full-time enrollment: 3,356)
- Michigan Technological University (about 94 miles; Houghton, MI; FT enrollment: 6,078)
- University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point (about 97 miles; Stevens Point, WI; FT enrollment: 9,089)
- Mid-State Technical College (about 108 miles; Wisconsin Rapids, WI; FT enrollment: 2,128)
- Northern Michigan University (about 109 miles; Marquette, MI; FT enrollment: 8,258)
- Wisconsin Indianhead Technical College (about 118 miles; Shell Lake, WI; FT enrollment: 2,414)
- Northeast Wisconsin Technical College (about 119 miles; Green Bay, WI; FT enrollment: 6,069)
Public elementary/middle school in St. Germain:
- Northland Pines El-St Germain (Students: 131; Location: 8234 Highway 70 W; Grades: KG-5)
Notable location: Saint Germain Fire and Rescue Department (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Cemetery: Saint Germain Cemetery (1). Display/hide its location on the map
Lakes and reservoirs: Mud Lake (A), Shannon Lake (B), South Bay (C), Alma Lake (D), Stella Lake (E), Beaver Lake (F), Big Saint Germain Lake (G), Lake Content (H). Display/hide their locations on the map
Creeks: Muskellunge Creek (A), Plum Creek (B), Mud Creek (C), Found Creek (D), Stella Creek (E), Lost Creek (F). Display/hide their locations on the map
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2012 was 53.0. This is better than average.
Sulfur Dioxide (SO2) [ppb] level in 2003 was 1.94. This is about average. Closest monitor was 11.7 miles away from the city center.
Ozone [ppb] level in 2012 was 33.9. This is about average. Closest monitor was 11.7 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM10) [µg/m3] level in 2005 was 11.0. This is significantly better than average. Closest monitor was 11.7 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM2.5) [µg/m3] level in 2012 was 5.19. This is significantly better than average. Closest monitor was 11.7 miles away from the city center.
Lead (Pb) [µg/m3] level in 2002 was 0.00227. This is significantly better than average. Closest monitor was 11.7 miles away from the city center.
Drinking water stations with addresses in St. Germain that have no violations reported:
- RUSTIC MANOR LODGE EAST (Population served: 30, Primary Water Source Type: Groundwater)
- LOON LANDINGS RESORT (Population served: 30, Primary Water Source Type: Groundwater)
- RUSTIC MANOR LODGE OLD WEST (Population served: 25, Primary Water Source Type: Groundwater)
- THUNDERBIRD PASS (Population served: 25, Primary Water Source Type: Groundwater)
|This town:||2.2 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.2% of all households
- Gay men: 0.5% of all households
Residents with income below the poverty level in 2009:
Residents with income below 50% of the poverty level in 2009:
2 people in group homes intended for adults in 2010
St. Germain compared to Wisconsin state average:
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age significantly above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Renting percentage below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
- Number of college students below state average.
Banks with branches in St. Germain (2011 data):
- BMO Harris Bank National Association: St. Germain Branch at 408 Highway 70, branch established on 1990/10/29. Info updated 2011/07/14: Bank assets: $97,264.0 mil, Deposits: $75,624.6 mil, headquarters in Chicago, IL, positive income, 717 total offices, Holding Company: Bank Of Montreal
- The First National Bank of Eagle River: Saint Germain Office Branch at 240 Highway 70 East, branch established on 1991/05/13. Info updated 2006/11/03: Bank assets: $146.0 mil, Deposits: $106.6 mil, headquarters in Eagle River, WI, positive income, Mortgage Lending Specialization, 4 total offices, Holding Company: Ellis Bankshares, Inc.
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Utility gas (43%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (41%)
- Electricity (12%)
- Wood (3%)
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (1%)
Presidential Elections Results
1996 Presidential Elections Results
2000 Presidential Elections Results
2004 Presidential Elections Results
2008 Presidential Elections Results
2012 Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for St. Germain town (based on Vilas County data)Percentage of population affiliated with a religious congregations: 54.94%
Breakdown of population affiliated with a religious congregations
|Name||Catholic Church||United Church of Christ||Lutheran Church||Evangelical Lutheran Church in America||Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod|
|Name||Presbyterian Church (USA)||Evangelical Free Church of America||The Evangelical Covenant Church||New Testament Association Independent Baptist Churches/Other Fundamental Baptists||Other|
Tables represent county-level data.
Food Environment Statistics:
|Vilas County:||4.54 / 10,000 pop.|
|Wisconsin:||1.86 / 10,000 pop.|
|Vilas County:||0.45 / 10,000 pop.|
|Wisconsin:||0.38 / 10,000 pop.|
|Vilas County:||11.34 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||4.12 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||38.55 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||8.64 / 10,000 pop.|
6.02% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($48,375 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Oneida County, WI||1.04% ($27,250 average AGI)|
|from Waukesha County, WI||0.38% ($106,343)|
|from Milwaukee County, WI||0.30% ($40,143)|
5.57% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($44,043 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in St. Germain:
- WLKD (1570 AM; 5 kW; MINOCQUA, WI; Owner: RAVEN BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WERL (950 AM; 1 kW; EAGLE RIVER, WI)
- WSAU (550 AM; 20 kW; WAUSAU, WI; Owner: WRIG, INC.)
- WSPT (1010 AM; 50 kW; STEVENS POINT, WI)
- WEBC (560 AM; 50 kW; DULUTH, MN)
- WJMS (590 AM; 5 kW; IRONWOOD, MI; Owner: ROBERTS BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WNAM (1280 AM; 50 kW; NEENAH-MENASHA, WI; Owner: CUMULUS LICENSING CORP.)
- WOBT (1240 AM; 1 kW; RHINELANDER, WI; Owner: NEWRADIO GROUP, LLC)
- WCCO (830 AM; 50 kW; MINNEAPOLIS, MN; Owner: INFINITY MEDIA CORPORATION)
- WCTS (1030 AM; 50 kW; MAPLEWOOD, MN; Owner: CNTL. BAPT. THEO/AL SEMI MINNEAPOLIS)
- WTMJ (620 AM; 50 kW; MILWAUKEE, WI; Owner: JOURNAL BROADCAST CORPORATION)
- WTCM (580 AM; 35 kW; TRAVERSE CITY, MI; Owner: WTCM RADIO, INC.)
- WRIG (1390 AM; 10 kW; SCHOFIELD, WI; Owner: WRIG, INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in St. Germain:
- WMQA-FM (95.9 FM; MINOCQUA, WI; Owner: RAVEN BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WRJO (94.5 FM; EAGLE RIVER, WI; Owner: BERNER BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WXPR (91.7 FM; RHINELANDER, WI; Owner: WHITE PINE COMMUNITY B/CASTING, INC.)
- WLSL (93.7 FM; THREE LAKES, WI; Owner: RESULTS BROADCASTING OF RHINELANDER, INC.)
- WRLO-FM (105.3 FM; ANTIGO, WI; Owner: NEWRADIO GROUP, LLC)
- WRHN (100.1 FM; RHINELANDER, WI; Owner: NEWRADIO GROUP, LLC)
- WHBM-FM (90.3 FM; PARK FALLS, WI; Owner: STATE OF WISCONSIN - EDUCATIONAL COMMUNICATIONS BOARD)
TV broadcast stations around St. Germain:
- WYOW (Channel 34; EAGLE RIVER, WI; Owner: WAOW-WYOW TELEVISION, INC.)
- W57AR (Channel 57; SAYNER/VILAS COUNTY, WI; Owner: GRAY MIDAMERICA TV LICENSEE CORP.)
- WJFW-TV (Channel 12; RHINELANDER, WI; Owner: NORTHLAND TELEVISION, INC.)
- W31BA (Channel 31; MINOCQUA, WI; Owner: THREE ANGELS BROADCASTING NETWORK)
- WLEF-TV (Channel 36; PARK FALLS, WI; Owner: STATE OF WISCONSIN - EDUCATIONAL COMMUNICATIONS BOARD)
- W04CS (Channel 4; CRANDON, WI; Owner: THREE ANGELS BROADCASTING NETWORK)
- W02CF (Channel 2; MINOCQUA, WI; Owner: THREE ANGELS BROADCASTING NETWORK)
- WTPX (Channel 46; ANTIGO, WI; Owner: PAXSON WAUSAU LICENSE, INC.)
Total length: 5 meters (16ft)
Total average daily traffic: 3,800
Total average daily truck traffic: 228
Total future (year 2029) average daily traffic: 8,190
Total of 13 patent applications in 2008-2015.