|Median resident age:||39.3 years|
|Kentucky median age:||35.9 years|
Zip code: 41311
St. Helens CCD income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2012: $43,677 (it was $29,300 in 2000)
- White alone - 1,744 (97.5%)
- Black alone - 15 (0.8%)
- Two or more races - 15 (0.8%)
- Hispanic - 10 (0.6%)
- American Indian alone - 5 (0.3%)
Current Local Time: EST time zone
Land area: 58.7 square miles.
Population density: 29 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in St. Helens:
- High school or higher: 49.0%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 5.8%
- Graduate or professional degree: 3.7%
- Unemployed: 8.5%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 44.2 minutes
For population 15 years and over in St. Helens CCD:
- Never married: 15.7%
- Now married: 66.4%
- Separated: 3.9%
- Widowed: 7.1%
- Divorced: 10.8%
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|St. Helens CCD:||0.7% ($199)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Fayette, KY (57.5 miles , pop. 260,512).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Chicago, IL (365.9 miles , pop. 2,896,016).
Nearest cities: Beattyville, KY (2.3 miles ), Oakdale, KY (2.7 miles ), Booneville, KY (2.7 miles) , South River, KY (3.2 miles ), Malaga, KY (3.4 miles ), Campton, KY (3.4 miles ), Jackson, KY (3.5 miles ), Canoe, KY (3.6 miles ).
Latitude: 37.57 N, Longitude: 83.62 W
Area code commonly used in this area: 606
Unemployment by year (%)
- Construction (19%)
- Truck transportation (9%)
- Food and beverage stores (8%)
- Wood products (7%)
- Motor vehicle and parts dealers (5%)
- Public administration (4%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (4%)
- Health care (20%)
- Educational services (16%)
- Apparel (12%)
- Food and beverage stores (9%)
- Machinery (7%)
- Gasoline stations (6%)
- Social assistance (6%)
- Driver/sales workers and truck drivers (16%)
- Construction trades workers except carpenters, electricians, painters, plumbers, and construction laborers (9%)
- Retail sales workers except cashiers (6%)
- Construction laborers (4%)
- Material recording, scheduling, dispatching, and distributing workers (4%)
- Fishing and hunting, and forest and logging workers (4%)
- Carpenters (4%)
- Cashiers (13%)
- Nursing, psychiatric, and home health aides (12%)
- Textile, apparel, and furnishings workers (10%)
- Preschool, kindergarten, elementary and middle school teachers (8%)
- Metal workers and plastic workers (7%)
- Other management occupations except farmers and farm managers (6%)
- Personal appearance workers (6%)
Average climate in St. Helens, Kentucky
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
St. Helens-area historical tornado activity is below Kentucky state average. It is 36% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 6/9/1961, a category F3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 10.8 miles away from the St. Helens place center killed one person and injured 63 people and caused between $500,000 and $5,000,000 in damages.
On 4/3/1974, a category F4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 40.2 miles away from the place center killed 7 people and injured 28 people.
Earthquake activity:St. Helens-area historical earthquake activity is near Kentucky state average. It is 78% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 7/27/1980 at 18:52:21, a magnitude 5.2 (5.1 MB, 4.7 MS, 5.0 UK, 5.2 UK, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 47.3 miles away from the city center
On 9/7/1988 at 02:28:09, a magnitude 4.6 (4.5 MB, 4.6 LG, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 42.0 miles away from St. Helens center
On 4/18/2008 at 09:36:59, a magnitude 5.4 (5.1 MB, 4.8 MS, 5.4 MW, 5.2 MW, Depth: 8.9 mi) earthquake occurred 240.5 miles away from the city center
On 11/30/1973 at 07:48:41, a magnitude 4.7 (4.7 MB, 4.6 ML) earthquake occurred 124.2 miles away from the city center
On 6/10/1987 at 23:48:54, a magnitude 5.1 (4.9 MB, 4.4 MS, 4.6 MS, 5.1 LG) earthquake occurred 247.6 miles away from St. Helens center
On 6/18/2002 at 17:37:15, a magnitude 5.0 (4.3 MB, 4.6 MW, 5.0 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 229.4 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Lee County (19) is greater than the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 16
Emergencies Declared: 3
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 12, Storms: 11, Tornadoes: 6, Winter Storms: 5, Mudslides: 3, Blizzard: 1, Freeze: 1, Hurricane: 1, Snow: 1, Snowfall: 1, Wind: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to St. Helens:
- Hazard Community and Technical College (about 34 miles; Hazard, KY; Full-time enrollment: 2,087)
- Eastern Kentucky University (about 40 miles; Richmond, KY; FT enrollment: 13,525)
- Morehead State University (about 44 miles; Morehead, KY; FT enrollment: 7,523)
- Big Sandy Community and Technical College (about 47 miles; Prestonsburg, KY; FT enrollment: 2,660)
- Southeast Kentucky Community and Technical College (about 54 miles; Cumberland, KY; FT enrollment: 2,196)
- Bluegrass Community and Technical College (about 58 miles; Lexington, KY; FT enrollment: 8,560)
- University of Kentucky (about 59 miles; Lexington, KY; FT enrollment: 23,517)
Notable locations in St. Helens: Glen Eden Community Center (A), Primrose Volunteer Fire Department (B). Display/hide their locations on the map
Churches in St. Helens include: Gum Springs Bible Church (A), Blaines Branch Church (B), New Springs Church (C), Union Church (D), New Zion Church (E). Display/hide their locations on the map
Cemetery: Cable Cemetery (1). Display/hide its location on the map
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Bear Creek (A), Cave Branch (B), Cow Hoof Branch (C), Double Cabin Creek (D), Dunigan Branch (E), Wolfpen Branch (F), Fraley Creek (G), Hell Creek (H), Laurel Branch (I). Display/hide their locations on the map
|This place:||2.4 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.0% of all households
- Gay men: 0.8% of all households
Residents with income below the poverty level in 2009:
Residents with income below 50% of the poverty level in 2009:
St. Helens compared to Kentucky state average:
- Median household income below state average.
- Median house value significantly below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
- Number of college students significantly below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher significantly below state average.
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Electricity (38%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (37%)
- Wood (9%)
- Coal or coke (6%)
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (5%)
- Utility gas (3%)
- Other fuel (2%)
Presidential Elections Results
1996 Presidential Elections Results
2000 Presidential Elections Results
2004 Presidential Elections Results
2008 Presidential Elections Results
2012 Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for St. Helens CCD (based on Lee County data)Percentage of population affiliated with a religious congregations: 33.84%
Breakdown of population affiliated with a religious congregations
|Name||Southern Baptist Convention||Christian Churches and Churches of Christ||Churches of Christ||Church of God (Anderson, Indiana)||Church of the Nazarene|
|Name||Church of God (Cleveland, Tennessee)||United Methodist Church||Catholic Church||Presbyterian Church (USA)||Other|
Tables represent county-level data.
Food Environment Statistics:
|Lee County:||1.34 / 10,000 pop.|
|Kentucky:||2.19 / 10,000 pop.|
|Lee County:||1.34 / 10,000 pop.|
|Kentucky:||0.74 / 10,000 pop.|
|Lee County:||6.72 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||4.36 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||2.69 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||5.74 / 10,000 pop.|
5.34% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($34,075 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
6.28% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($26,873 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in St. Helens:
- WMTC (730 AM; 5 kW; VANCLEVE, KY; Owner: THE KENTUCKY MOUNTAIN HOLINESS ASSN.)
- WEKG (810 AM; daytime; 5 kW; JACKSON, KY; Owner: INTERMOUNTAIN B/CING CO., INC.)
- WKVL (850 AM; daytime; 50 kW; KNOXVILLE, TN; Owner: HORNE RADIO, LLC)
- WHAS (840 AM; 50 kW; LOUISVILLE, KY; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WLW (700 AM; 50 kW; CINCINNATI, OH; Owner: JACOR BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WKLB (1290 AM; 5 kW; MANCHESTER, KY; Owner: BARKER BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- WTVN (610 AM; 50 kW; COLUMBUS, OH; Owner: CITICASTERS LICENSES, L.P.)
- WKIC (1390 AM; 5 kW; HAZARD, KY)
- WKYH (600 AM; 5 kW; PAINTSVILLE, KY; Owner: HIGHLANDS BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WPRT (960 AM; 5 kW; PRESTONSBURG, KY; Owner: EAST KENTUCKY RADIO NETWORK, INC.)
- WSAI (1530 AM; 50 kW; CINCINNATI, OH; Owner: JACOR BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WLAP (630 AM; 5 kW; LEXINGTON, KY; Owner: CITICASTERS LICENSES, L.P.)
- WFGW (1010 AM; 50 kW; BLACK MOUNTAIN, NC; Owner: BLUE RIDGE BROADCASTING CORP.)
Strongest FM radio stations in St. Helens:
- WLJC (102.1 FM; BEATTYVILLE, KY; Owner: HOUR OF HARVEST, INCORPORATED)
- WOCS (88.3 FM; LEROSE, KY; Owner: BOARD OF REGENTS - MOREHEAD STATE UNIVERSITY)
- WJSN-FM (106.5 FM; JACKSON, KY; Owner: INTERMOUNTAIN BROADCASTING CO.)
- WMTC-FM (99.9 FM; VANCLEVE, KY; Owner: KENTUCKY MOUNTAIN HOLINESS ASSOC.)
- WCBJ (103.7 FM; CAMPTON, KY; Owner: MORGAN COUNTY INDUSTRIES INC)
- WSKV-FM (104.9 FM; STANTON, KY; Owner: PARKS BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WSGS (101.1 FM; HAZARD, KY; Owner: MOUNTAIN BROADCASTING SERVICE, INC.)
- WZQQ (97.9 FM; HYDEN, KY; Owner: LESLIE COUNTY BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WJMD (104.7 FM; HAZARD, KY; Owner: HAZARD BROADCASTING SERVICES)
- WTBK (105.7 FM; MANCHESTER, KY; Owner: MANCHESTER COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WEKH (90.9 FM; HAZARD, KY; Owner: EASTERN KENTUCKY UNIVERSITY)
- WSEH (102.7 FM; CUMBERLAND, KY; Owner: CUMBERLAND CITY BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WCYO (100.7 FM; IRVINE, KY; Owner: KENTUCKY RIVER BROADCASTING CO.)
- WWAG (107.9 FM; MCKEE, KY; Owner: DANDY BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WLFX (106.7 FM; BEREA, KY; Owner: WALLINGFORD COMMUNICATIONS, LLC)
TV broadcast stations around St. Helens:
- WLJC-TV (Channel 65; BEATTYVILLE, KY; Owner: HOUR OF HARVEST, INC.)
- W26BK (Channel 26; TALBERT, KY; Owner: MS COMMUNICATIONS, LLC)
- W16BI (Channel 16; TALBERT, KY; Owner: MS COMMUNICATIONS, LLC)
- WUPX-TV (Channel 67; MOREHEAD, KY; Owner: PAXSON LEXINGTON LICENSE, INC.)
- W64CM (Channel 64; TALBERT, KY; Owner: MS COMMUNICATIONS, LLC)
- W66DA (Channel 66; TALBERT, KY; Owner: MS COMMUNICATIONS, LLC)
- W54CI (Channel 54; TALBERT, KY; Owner: MS COMMUNICATIONS, LLC)
- WYMT-TV (Channel 57; HAZARD, KY; Owner: WYMT LICENSEE CORP.)
- WLEX-TV (Channel 18; LEXINGTON, KY; Owner: WLEX COMMUNICATIONS, L.L.C.)
- W24BT (Channel 24; TALBERT, KY; Owner: MS COMMUNICATIONS, LLC)
St. Helens on our top lists:
- #38 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of workers with very long commute times (90 or more minutes)"
- #50 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of males working in industry: Hardware, plumbing and heating equipment and supplies merchant wholesalers"
- #89 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of females working in industry: Apparel"
- #35 (41311) on the list of "Top 101 zip codes with the largest percentage of United States or American first ancestries (pop 5,000+)"