Star City, Arkansas
Star City: Beautiful rain clouds!
Star City: winter afternoon at star city square
Star City: This is our Town clock we are very proud of it and all it repersents to us.
Star City: Sunrise on Cane Creek in Star City, AR
Submit your own pictures of this city and show them to the World
|Median resident age:||36.3 years|
|Arkansas median age:||38.0 years|
Zip codes: 71667.
Estimated per capita income in 2016: $18,105 (it was $13,998 in 2000)
Star City city income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2016: $87,718 (it was $50,500 in 2000)
Median gross rent in 2016: $507.
Races in Star City, AR (2010)
- 1,69474.5%White alone
- 50922.4%Black alone
- 311.4%Two or more races
- 150.7%American Indian alone
- 50.2%Asian alone
|Making the Bible Arkansas's state book (97 replies)|
|Pictures of Arkansas (551 replies)|
|Why No Love For Southern Arkansas? (31 replies)|
|Move to Monticello, Star City, or Stuttgart? (26 replies)|
|Candles in Tillar, Arkansas (1 reply)|
|Star City, Rison and Redfield (9 replies)|
Latest news from Star City, AR collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: American (10.6%), English (9.3%), German (4.9%), Irish (4.2%), European (1.5%), French (1.2%).
Current Local Time: CST time zone
Incorporated on 07/03/1876
Elevation: 271 feet
Land area: 4.21 square miles.
Population density: 528 people per square mile(low).
For population 25 years and over in Star City:
- High school or higher: 77.8%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 11.8%
- Graduate or professional degree: 2.5%
- Unemployed: 10.8%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 15.9 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Star City city:
- Never married: 21.9%
- Now married: 52.5%
- Separated: 3.0%
- Widowed: 13.1%
- Divorced: 9.4%
68 residents are foreign born (2.6% Latin America).
According to our research of Arkansas and other state lists there were 29 registered sex offenders living in Star City, Arkansas as of April 25, 2018.
The ratio of number of residents in Star City to the number of sex offenders is 74 to 1.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with mortgages in 2016: $557 (0.6%)
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with no mortgage in 2016: $542 (0.6%)
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Pine Bluff, AR (21.7 miles , pop. 55,085).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Memphis, TN (134.1 miles , pop. 650,100).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Dallas, TX (296.3 miles , pop. 1,188,580).
Nearest cities: Grady, AR (3.5 miles ), Rye, AR (4.0 miles) , Gould, AR (4.1 miles ), Mitchellville, AR (4.5 miles ), Rison, AR (4.5 miles ), Dumas, AR (4.5 miles ), Pine Bluff, AR (4.7 miles ), Monticello, AR (4.7 miles ).
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1997: 9 buildings, average cost: $68,800
- 1998: 8 buildings, average cost: $101,600
- 1999: 7 buildings, average cost: $100,400
- 2000: 5 buildings, average cost: $103,200
- 2001: 5 buildings, average cost: $95,000
- 2003: 2 buildings, average cost: $41,500
- 2004: 2 buildings, average cost: $125,500
- 2005: 4 buildings, average cost: $83,100
- 2006: 7 buildings, average cost: $83,300
- 2007: 10 buildings, average cost: $104,600
- 2008: 5 buildings, average cost: $130,000
- 2009: 3 buildings, average cost: $173,600
- 2010: 2 buildings, average cost: $77,500
- 2011: 2 buildings, average cost: $162,500
- 2012: 1 building, cost: $89,900
- 2013: 1 building, cost: $195,000
Number of permits per 10,000 residents
Average cost (in $1000s)
Latitude: 33.94 N, Longitude: 91.84 W
Area code: 870
|Crime rates in Star City by Year|
|City-data.com crime index (higher means more crime, U.S. average = 270.6)||241.3||282.9||192.2||118.4||143.0||137.5||129.8||267.0||342.8||362.8||343.0|
(click on a table row to update graph)
Crime rate in Star City detailed stats: murders, rapes, robberies, assaults, burglaries, thefts, arson
|Officers per 1,000 residents here:||2.31|
Unemployment by year (%)
- Construction (16%)
- Manufacturing (14%)
- Transportation and warehousing (11%)
- Retail trade (11%)
- Educational services (10%)
- Accommodation and food services (9%)
- Other services, except public administration (7%)
- Health care and social assistance (45%)
- Public administration (10%)
- Accommodation and food services (10%)
- Educational services (9%)
- Retail trade (9%)
- Other services, except public administration (5%)
- Professional, scientific, and technical services (4%)
- Transportation occupations (15%)
- Management occupations (13%)
- Production occupations (13%)
- Material moving occupations (13%)
- Construction and extraction occupations (9%)
- Office and administrative support occupations (7%)
- Food preparation and serving related occupations (6%)
- Office and administrative support occupations (27%)
- Healthcare support occupations (21%)
- Food preparation and serving related occupations (12%)
- Education, training, and library occupations (8%)
- Personal care and service occupations (6%)
- Management occupations (6%)
- Health diagnosing and treating practitioners and other technical occupations (6%)
Average climate in Star City, Arkansas
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Star City-area historical tornado activity is near Arkansas state average. It is 86% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 4/3/1968, a category F4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 1.5 miles away from the Star City city center killed 5 people and injured 16 people and caused between $50,000 and $500,000 in damages.
On 3/28/1975, a category F4 tornado 25.8 miles away from the city center killed 7 people and injured 51 people and caused between $5,000,000 and $50,000,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Star City-area historical earthquake activity is near Arkansas state average. It is 77% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 3/25/1976 at 00:41:20, a magnitude 5.0 (4.9 MB, 5.0 LG, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 145.5 miles away from the city center
On 1/21/1982 at 00:33:54, a magnitude 4.7 (4.5 MB, 4.7 LG, 4.5 LG, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 87.5 miles away from Star City center
On 5/4/2001 at 06:42:12, a magnitude 4.7 (4.2 MB, 4.7 LG, 4.5 LG, Depth: 6.2 mi) earthquake occurred 89.7 miles away from the city center
On 5/4/1991 at 01:18:54, a magnitude 5.0 (4.4 MB, 4.6 LG, 5.0 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 214.3 miles away from the city center
On 3/25/1976 at 01:00:11, a magnitude 4.5 (4.1 MB, 4.5 LG) earthquake occurred 139.0 miles away from Star City center
On 4/27/1989 at 16:47:49, a magnitude 4.7 (4.6 MB, 4.7 LG, 4.3 LG) earthquake occurred 185.0 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Lincoln County (14) is near the US average (13).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 12
Emergencies Declared: 2
Causes of natural disasters: Storms: 11, Floods: 9, Tornadoes: 4, Winter Storms: 3, Hurricanes: 2, Ice Storm: 1, Wind: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Birthplace of: Walter Broadnax - University president, Cedric Thornton - Football player, Leon Donohue - Football player.
Hospitals and medical centers in Star City:
airports located in Star City:
- Star City Municipal Airport (55M) (Runways: 1, Itinerant Ops: 400, Local Ops: 5,000)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Star City:
- University of Arkansas at Pine Bluff (about 24 miles; Pine Bluff, AR; Full-time enrollment: 2,558)
- University of Arkansas at Monticello (about 25 miles; Monticello, AR; FT enrollment: 3,130)
- University of Arkansas at Little Rock (about 62 miles; Little Rock, AR; FT enrollment: 9,227)
- Pulaski Technical College (about 64 miles; North Little Rock, AR; FT enrollment: 8,396)
- Delta State University (about 66 miles; Cleveland, MS; FT enrollment: 3,304)
- Henderson State University (about 71 miles; Arkadelphia, AR; FT enrollment: 3,528)
- Coahoma Community College (about 77 miles; Clarksdale, MS; FT enrollment: 2,284)
Public high school in Star City:
- STAR CITY HIGH SCHOOL (Location: 206 CLEVELAND ST, Grades: 9-12)
Public elementary/middle schools in Star City:
- BROWN ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Location: 210 ASHLEY ST, Grades: PK-5)
- STAR CITY MIDDLE SCHOOL (Location: 206 CLEVELAND ST, Grades: 6-8)
Notable locations in Star City: Star City Fire Station (A), Lincoln County Courthouse (B), Emergency Ambulance Service - Star City (C), Lincoln County Sheriff's Office (D), Star City Police Department (E). Display/hide their locations on the map
Churches in Star City include: First Baptist Church of Star City (A), Providence Primitive Baptist Church (B). Display/hide their locations on the map
Hotels: Super 8 Motel (1308 North Lincoln Avenue), Tax Centers of America (Highway 425 South), Travelers Motel (Highway 425 South).
Court: Lincoln County - District Court (Courthouse).
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2003 was 61.4. This is better than average.
Particulate Matter (PM2.5) [µg/m3] level in 2003 was 12.4. This is worse than average. Closest monitor was 21.3 miles away from the city center.
(30.2% for White Non-Hispanic residents, 27.4% for Black residents, 50.6% for two or more races residents)
|This city:||2.5 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.1% of all households
- Gay men: 0.2% of all households
18 people in local jails and other municipal confinement facilities in 2010
253 people in nursing homes in 2000
14 people in local jails and other confinement facilities (including police lockups) in 2000
Banks with branches in Star City (2011 data):
- Pine Bluff National Bank: Star City Branch at 102 South Lincoln St, branch established on 1999/06/01. Info updated 2006/11/03: Bank assets: $386.2 mil, Deposits: $333.5 mil, headquarters in Pine Bluff, AR, positive income, Agricultural Specialization, 8 total offices, Holding Company: Jefferson Bancshares, Inc.
- Simmons First National Bank: Star City Branch at 300 North Lincoln Avenue, branch established on 1989/10/16. Info updated 2010/10/19: Bank assets: $1,849.8 mil, Deposits: $1,513.0 mil, headquarters in Pine Bluff, AR, positive income, 45 total offices, Holding Company: Simmons First National Corporation
- Bank of Star City: Bank Of Star City at 116 North Lincoln, branch established on 1925/04/07. Info updated 2011/09/12: Bank assets: $104.4 mil, Deposits: $83.5 mil, local headquarters, positive income, Commercial Lending Specialization, 5 total offices, Holding Company: Star City Bancshares, Inc.
Educational Attainment (%) in 2016
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2016
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Star City city (based on Lincoln County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Lincoln County:||0.73 / 10,000 pop.|
|Arkansas:||2.02 / 10,000 pop.|
|Lincoln County:||0.73 / 10,000 pop.|
|Arkansas:||0.59 / 10,000 pop.|
|Lincoln County:||4.38 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||4.94 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||6.57 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||6.66 / 10,000 pop.|
Health and Nutrition:
More about Health and Nutrition of Star City, AR Residents
|Local government employment and payroll (March 2012)|
|Function||Full-time employees||Monthly full-time payroll||Average yearly full-time wage||Part-time employees||Monthly part-time payroll|
|Other Government Administration||0||$0||9||$3,427|
|Streets and Highways||0||$0||2||$688|
|Totals for Government||0||$0||12||$4,610|
Star City government finances - Expenditure in 2002 (per resident):
- Current Operations - Water Utilities: $224,000 ($100.90)
Police Protection: $220,000 ($99.10)
Sewerage: $219,000 ($98.65)
Regular Highways: $157,000 ($70.72)
Solid Waste Management: $151,000 ($68.02)
Financial Administration: $82,000 ($36.94)
Fire Protection: $38,000 ($17.12)
Libraries: $4,000 ($1.80)
- General - Interest on Debt: $76,000 ($34.23)
- Total Salaries & Wages: $454,000 ($204.50)
Star City government finances - Revenue in 2002 (per resident):
- Charges - Sewerage: $221,000 ($99.55)
All Other: $151,000 ($68.02)
- Local Intergovernmental - General Support: $96,000 ($43.24)
- Miscellaneous - Interest Earnings: $76,000 ($34.23)
- Revenue - Water Utilities: $236,000 ($106.31)
- State Intergovernmental - Highways: $110,000 ($49.55)
General Support: $42,000 ($18.92)
- Tax - Total General Sales: $291,000 ($131.08)
Property: $39,000 ($17.57)
Public Utilities: $24,000 ($10.81)
NEC: $7,000 ($3.15)
Star City government finances - Debt in 2002 (per resident):
- Long Term Debt Beginning Outstanding - Industrial Revenue: $1,090,000 ($490.99)
- Long Term Debt Outstanding Nonguaranteed - Industrial Revenue: $1,005,000 ($452.70)
- Long Term Debt Retired Nonguaranteed - Industrial Revenue: $85,000 ($38.29)
Star City government finances - Cash and Securities in 2002 (per resident):
- Other Funds - Cash & Deposits: $247,000 ($111.26)
- Sinking Fund - Cash & Deposits: $1,005,000 ($452.70)
5.99% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($24,814 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Jefferson County, AR||1.97% ($25,522 average AGI)|
|from Desha County, AR||0.66% ($27,826)|
|from Drew County, AR||0.51% ($30,167)|
6.42% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($29,885 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Star City:
- KAAY (1090 AM; 50 kW; LITTLE ROCK, AR; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- KGHT (880 AM; 50 kW; SHERIDAN, AR; Owner: METROPOLITAN RADIO GROUP, INC.)
- KPBA (1270 AM; 5 kW; PINE BLUFF, AR; Owner: METRO BIRCH ENTERPRISES, INC)
- WCRV (640 AM; 50 kW; COLLIERVILLE, TN; Owner: BOTT BROADCASTING COMPANY/TENNESSEE)
- KEEL (710 AM; 50 kW; SHREVEPORT, LA; Owner: CITICASTERS LICENSES, L.P.)
- KMTL (760 AM; daytime; 10 kW; SHERWOOD, AR; Owner: GEORGE V. DOMERESE)
- WGSF (1030 AM; 50 kW; MEMPHIS, TN; Owner: FLINN BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WDIA (1070 AM; 50 kW; MEMPHIS, TN; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- KWKH (1130 AM; 50 kW; SHREVEPORT, LA; Owner: CITICASTERS LICENSES, L.P.)
- WCPC (940 AM; 50 kW; HOUSTON, MS; Owner: WCPC BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- WJNT (1180 AM; 50 kW; PEARL, MS; Owner: BUCHANAN BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- KCLA (1400 AM; 1 kW; PINE BLUFF, AR; Owner: M.R.S. VENTURES, INC.)
- WSJC (810 AM; 50 kW; MAGEE, MS; Owner: FAMILY TALK RADIO)
Strongest FM radio stations in Star City:
- KMSX (94.9 FM; MAUMELLE, AR; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- KGPQ (99.9 FM; MONTICELLO, AR; Owner: COMMUNITY RADIO NETWORK, INC.)
- KANX (91.1 FM; SHERIDAN, AR; Owner: AMERICAN FAMILY ASSOCIATION)
- KIPR (92.3 FM; PINE BLUFF, AR; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- KHBM-FM (93.7 FM; MONTICELLO, AR; Owner: COMMUNITY RADIO NETWORK, INC.)
- KXFE (106.9 FM; DUMAS, AR; Owner: METRO BIRCH ENTERPRISES, INC.)
- KDEW-FM (97.3 FM; DE WITT, AR; Owner: ARKANSAS COUNTY BROADCASTERS, INC.)
- KAFN (102.5 FM; GOULD, AR; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- KTRN (104.5 FM; WHITE HALL, AR; Owner: BAYOU BROADCASTING, INC.)
- KPBQ-FM (101.3 FM; PINE BLUFF, AR; Owner: M.R.S. VENTURES, INC.)
- KUAP (89.7 FM; PINE BLUFF, AR; Owner: BOARD OF TRUSTEES OF THE UNIV OF AR)
TV broadcast stations around Star City:
- KATV (Channel 7; LITTLE ROCK, AR; Owner: KATV, LLC)
- KETS (Channel 2; LITTLE ROCK, AR; Owner: ARKANSAS EDUCATIONAL TELEVISION COMMISSION)
- KASN (Channel 38; PINE BLUFF, AR; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- KWBK-LP (Channel 36; PINE BLUFF, AR; Owner: ARKANSAS 49, INC.)
- KVTN (Channel 25; PINE BLUFF, AR; Owner: AGAPE CHURCH, INC.)
Fatal road traffic accident statistics for 1975 - 2014 (per 100,000 population)
- National Bridge Inventory (NBI) Statistics
- 8Number of bridges
- 21m69ftTotal length
- $916,000Total costs
- 6,605Total average daily traffic
- 816Total average daily truck traffic
- 7,475Total future (year 2007) average daily traffic
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 2
|Most common first names in Star City, AR among deceased individuals|
|Most common last names in Star City, AR among deceased individuals|
|Last name||Count||Lived (average)|
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Electricity (60%)
- Utility gas (34%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (6%)
|Businesses in Star City, AR|
Star City compared to Arkansas state average:
- Median household income below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Institutionalized population percentage significantly above state average.
- Number of college students below state average.
Star City on our top lists:
- #70 on the list of "Top 101 cities with the largest percentage of people in nursing homes (population 1,000+)"
- #2 (71667) on the list of "Top 101 zip codes with the largest percentage of English first ancestries (pop 5,000+)"