Stark, New Hampshire
We are giving away $1200 in prizes - enter simply by sending us your own city pictures!
|Median resident age:||48.2 years|
|New Hampshire median age:||43.9 years|
Zip codes: 03582.
Estimated per capita income in 2013: $24,395 (it was $17,168 in 2000)
Stark town income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2013: $124,063 (it was $68,800 in 2000)
Races in Stark, NH (2010)
- 53496.0%White alone
- 91.6%Two or more races
- 61.1%American Indian alone
- 10.2%Asian alone
Recent articles from our blog. Our writers, many of them Ph.D. graduates or candidates, create easy-to-read articles on a wide variety of topics.
- More borrowers make early loan repayments in spring Feb 12
- How Does the Presence of a Major Employer Affect Crime Rates? Feb 10
- Prosper default rate decreased in 2014 Feb 8
- How important is peer-to-peer loan diversification? Feb 6
- Where Do the Young and Old People Live, and How Has That Changed Over the Years? Feb 4
|Police posing as panhandlers - Hands Free Law (71 replies)|
|Possibly Moving to New Hampshire; Looking for Suggestions (19 replies)|
|Movie Rental Stores? (25 replies)|
|It has been said that since The Old Man moved on (0 replies)|
|Schools in S. NH (42 replies)|
|Currier & Ives (18 replies)|
Latest news from Stark, NH collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: French (29.1%), English (23.8%), Irish (22.5%), French Canadian (16.5%), German (6.4%), United States (5.4%).
Current Local Time: EST time zone
Elevation: 964 feet
Land area: 59.1 square miles.
Population density: 9.4 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Stark:
- High school or higher: 79.9%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 9.5%
- Graduate or professional degree: 2.8%
- Unemployed: 6.9%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 26.7 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Stark town:
- Never married: 21.3%
- Now married: 61.0%
- Separated: 2.4%
- Widowed: 6.9%
- Divorced: 8.4%
19 residents are foreign born (3.1% North America, 0.6% Oceania).
According to our research of New Hampshire and other state lists there were 2 registered sex offenders living in Stark, New Hampshire as of February 13, 2016.
The ratio of number of residents in Stark to the number of sex offenders is 237 to 1.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|Stark town:||2.1% ($1,451)|
|New Hampshire:||2.3% ($2,946)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Portland, ME (86.7 miles , pop. 64,249).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Boston, MA (159.8 miles , pop. 589,141).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Bronx, NY (289.7 miles , pop. 1,332,650).
Nearest cities: Groveton, NH (2.4 miles ), Northumberland, NH (2.4 miles ), Dummer, NH (2.6 miles ), Stratford, NH (3.0 miles ), Milan, NH (3.1 miles ), Guildhall, VT (3.4 miles ), Maidstone, VT (3.5 miles) , Lancaster, NH (3.5 miles ).
Latitude: 44.62 N, Longitude: 71.40 W
Area code commonly used in this area: 603
Unemployment by year (%)
- Paper (28%)
- Construction (16%)
- Wood products (7%)
- Accommodation and food services (6%)
- Broadcasting and telecommunications (5%)
- Real estate and rental and leasing (4%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (3%)
- Health care (30%)
- Accommodation and food services (9%)
- Paper (8%)
- Department and other general merchandise stores (7%)
- Social assistance (7%)
- Metal and metal products (5%)
- Public administration (5%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (21%)
- Electrical equipment mechanics and other installation, maintenance, and repair occupations including supervisors (14%)
- Other construction workers and helpers (5%)
- Driver/sales workers and truck drivers (5%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (4%)
- Other sales and related workers including supervisors (3%)
- Other office and administrative support workers including supervisors (3%)
- Registered nurses (14%)
- Other sales and related workers including supervisors (7%)
- Metal workers and plastic workers (7%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (7%)
- Other management occupations except farmers and farm managers (5%)
- Waiters and waitresses (5%)
- Material recording, scheduling, dispatching, and distributing workers (5%)
Average climate in Stark, New Hampshire
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Earthquake activity:Stark-area historical earthquake activity is slightly below New Hampshire state average. It is 92% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 4/20/2002 at 10:50:47, a magnitude 5.2 (5.2 MB, 4.2 MS, 5.2 MW, 5.0 MW, Depth: 6.8 mi, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 114.6 miles away from the city center
On 10/7/1983 at 10:18:46, a magnitude 5.3 (5.1 MB, 5.3 LG, 5.1 ML) earthquake occurred 152.8 miles away from Stark center
On 1/19/1982 at 00:14:42, a magnitude 4.7 (4.5 MB, 4.7 MD, 4.5 LG, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 78.2 miles away from the city center
On 8/21/1996 at 07:54:14, a magnitude 3.8 (3.8 LG, 3.6 LG, Depth: 6.2 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: II - III) earthquake occurred 30.3 miles away from the city center
On 6/16/1995 at 12:13:11, a magnitude 3.8 (3.8 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 34.4 miles away from Stark center
On 4/20/2002 at 11:04:42, a magnitude 4.1 (4.1 LG, 3.7 ML, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 113.2 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), duration magnitude (MD), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Coos County (14) is near the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 7
Emergencies Declared: 7
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 6, Storms: 5, Snows: 2, Winter Storms: 2, Blizzard: 1, Hurricane: 1, Ice Storm: 1, Snowfall: 1, Snowstorm: 1, Wind: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Hospitals and medical centers near Stark:
- NORTHWOODS HOME HEALTH AND HOSPICE (Home Health Center, about 11 miles away; LANCASTER, NH)
- COUNTRY VILLAGE CENTER, GENESIS HEALTHCARE (Nursing Home, about 12 miles away; LANCASTER, NH)
- FRESENIUS MEDICAL CARE OF LANCASTER (Dialysis Facility, about 13 miles away; LANCASTER, NH)
- WEEKS MEDICAL CENTER Critical Access Hospitals (about 13 miles away; LANCASTER, NH)
- MCKERLEY HEALTH CARE CENTER (Nursing Home, about 13 miles away; LANCASTER, NH)
- COOS COUNTY NURSING HOME (Nursing Home, about 15 miles away; BERLIN, NH)
- SAINT VINCENT DE PAUL REHABILITATION AND NURSING CTR (Nursing Home, about 15 miles away; BERLIN, NH)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Stark:
- Plymouth State University (about 62 miles; Plymouth, NH; Full-time enrollment: 4,838)
- University of Maine at Farmington (about 62 miles; Farmington, ME; FT enrollment: 2,036)
- Norwich University (about 71 miles; Northfield, VT; FT enrollment: 4,221)
- Saint Joseph's College of Maine (about 72 miles; Standish, ME; FT enrollment: 2,010)
- Dartmouth College (about 78 miles; Hanover, NH; FT enrollment: 6,030)
- University of Maine at Augusta (about 82 miles; Augusta, ME; FT enrollment: 3,204)
- University of Southern Maine (about 87 miles; Portland, ME; FT enrollment: 6,647)
Public elementary/middle school in Stark:
- Stark Village School (Students: 30; Location: 1192 Stark Hwy.; Grades: K-6)
Notable location: Stark Fire Department (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Church in Stark: Stark Union Church (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Lakes and swamps: Christine Lake (A), Pike Pond (B), Rocky Pond (C), South Ponds (D), Mile Swamp (E). Display/hide their locations on the map
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Rowells Brook (A), Roberts Brooks (B), Roaring Brook (C), Phillips Brook (D), Nash Stream (E), Mill Brook (F), McCordick Brook (G), Jimmy Cole Brook (H), Hickey Brook (I). Display/hide their locations on the map
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2012 was 69.7. This is about average.
Sulfur Dioxide (SO2) [ppb] level in 2002 was 1.47. This is better than average. Closest monitor was 5.3 miles away from the city center.
Ozone [ppb] level in 2012 was 35.2. This is about average. Closest monitor was 14.9 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM10) [µg/m3] level in 2002 was 18.4. This is about average. Closest monitor was 6.0 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM2.5) [µg/m3] level in 2006 was 8.77. This is about average. Closest monitor was 15.5 miles away from the city center.
|This town:||2.4 people|
|New Hampshire:||2.5 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.0% of all households
- Gay men: 0.4% of all households
Residents with income below the poverty level in 2009:
Residents with income below 50% of the poverty level in 2009:
Stark compared to New Hampshire state average:
- Median house value significantly below state average.
- Unemployed percentage below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage below state average.
- Median age above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage below state average.
- Renting percentage below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher significantly below state average.
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
|New Hampshire average:||10.9|
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (71%)
- Wood (19%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (7%)
- Electricity (3%)
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Stark town (based on Coos County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Coos County:||4.33 / 10,000 pop.|
|New Hampshire:||2.14 / 10,000 pop.|
|Coos County:||0.93 / 10,000 pop.|
|New Hampshire:||1.78 / 10,000 pop.|
|Coos County:||9.28 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||4.02 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||12.68 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||9.70 / 10,000 pop.|
4.89% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($38,190 average adjusted gross income)
|New Hampshire average:||6.07%|
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Grafton County, NH||0.73% ($26,768 average AGI)|
|from Merrimack County, NH||0.31% ($28,659)|
|from Hillsborough County, NH||0.30% ($41,718)|
5.60% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($29,437 average adjusted gross income)
|New Hampshire average:||6.45%|
0.10% of residents moved to foreign countries ($427 average AGI)
Coos County: 0.10% New Hampshire average: 0.06%
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Stark:
- WTME (780 AM; 10 kW; RUMFORD, ME; Owner: MOUNTAIN VALLEY BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WCHP (760 AM; 35 kW; CHAMPLAIN, NY; Owner: CHAMPLAIN RADIO, INC.)
- WMOU (1230 AM; 1 kW; BERLIN, NH; Owner: JERICHO BROADCASTING COMPANY, L.L.C.)
- WRKO (680 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WNNZ (640 AM; 50 kW; WESTFIELD, MA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WEEI (850 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WCRN (830 AM; 50 kW; WORCESTER, MA; Owner: CARTER BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WTWN (1100 AM; daytime; 5 kW; WELLS RIVER, VT; Owner: PUFFER BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WGY (810 AM; 50 kW; SCHENECTADY, NY; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WBZ (1030 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WICY (1490 AM; 50 kW; MALONE, NY; Owner: CARTIER COMMUNICATIONS INC.)
- WMTW (870 AM; 10 kW; GORHAM, ME; Owner: RADIO PARTNERS OF MAINE, L.P.)
- WDEV (550 AM; 5 kW; WATERBURY, VT; Owner: RADIO VERMONT, INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Stark:
- WPKQ (103.7 FM; NORTH CONWAY, NH; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WHOM (94.9 FM; MT. WASHINGTON, NH; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WGMT (97.7 FM; LYNDON, VT; Owner: VERMONT BROADCAST ASSOCIATES, INC.)
- WXXS (102.3 FM; LANCASTER, NH; Owner: BARRY P. LUNDERVILLE)
- WMTK (106.3 FM; LITTLETON, NH; Owner: VERMONT BROADCAST ASSOCIATES, INC.)
- WVFM (105.7 FM; CAMPTON, NH; Owner: DEVON BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- WLOB-FM (96.3 FM; RUMFORD, ME; Owner: ATLANTIC COAST RADIO, LLC)
- WTOS-FM (105.1 FM; SKOWHEGAN, ME; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WTBM (100.7 FM; MEXICO, ME; Owner: MOUNTAIN VALLEY BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WLKC (103.3 FM; WATERBURY, VT; Owner: RADIO BROADCASTING SERVICES, INC.)
- WVPS (107.9 FM; BURLINGTON, VT; Owner: VERMONT PUBLIC RADIO)
- WEZF (92.9 FM; BURLINGTON, VT; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WSCY (106.9 FM; MOULTONBOROUGH, NH; Owner: NORTHEAST COMMUNICATIONS CORPORATION)
- WCVT (101.7 FM; STOWE, VT; Owner: RADIO VERMONT CLASSICS, L.L.C.)
- WDOT (95.7 FM; DANVILLE, VT; Owner: MONTPELIER BROADCASTING INC)
- WCKJ (90.5 FM; ST. JOHNSBURY, VT; Owner: CHRISTIAN MINISTRIES, INC.)
- WKXH (105.5 FM; ST. JOHNSBURY, VT; Owner: VERMONT BROADCAST ASSOCIATES, INC.)
- WEVC (107.1 FM; GORHAM, NH; Owner: NEW HAMPSHIRE PUBLIC RADIO, INCORPORATED)
TV broadcast stations around Stark:
- WLED-TV (Channel 49; LITTLETON, NH; Owner: UNIVERSITY OF NEW HAMPSHIRE)
Stark fatal accident list:
Dec 9, 2005 08:57 AM, Sr-110, Deline Rd, Vehicles: 2, Persons: 2, Fatalities: 1
Sep 29, 2000 01:45 PM, Sr-110, Vehicles: 1, Persons: 1, Fatalities: 1
Aug 20, 1995 12:40 AM, Route 110, Vehicles: 1, Persons: 1, Fatalities: 1, Drunken persons involved: 1
Apr 27, 1994 09:30 PM, Route 110, Vehicles: 1, Persons: 1, Fatalities: 1
Mar 14, 1989 02:50 PM, 1374, Vehicles: 2, Persons: 3, Fatalities: 3, Drunken persons involved: 1
Nov 19, 1986 01:30 PM, 1374000000, Vehicles: 1, Persons: 1, Fatalities: 1, Drunken persons involved: 1
- National Bridge Inventory (NBI) Statistics
- 10Number of bridges
- 25m82ftTotal length
- $25,000,000Total costs
- 2,990Total average daily traffic
- 116Total average daily truck traffic
- 4,425Total future (year 2032) average daily traffic
New bridges - Historical Statistics
- 1Before 1900
FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers:1
- Lat: 44.600056 Lon: -71.405083, Call Sign: KB71654
Assigned Frequencies: 154.980 MHz
Grant Date: 02/25/2005, Expiration Date: 05/03/2015
Registrant: 5 Dewey Hill Road, Stark, NH 03582, Phone: (603) 449-3345, Fax: (603) 636-2848, Email:
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses:3
- Call Sign: KB1DZQ, Licensee ID: L00347246
Grant Date: 04/09/2009, Expiration Date: 04/23/2019, Certifier: James R Eich
Registrant: James R Eich, 800 Stark Hwy, Stark, NH 03582-6309
- Call Sign: N1PND
Grant Date: 06/08/1993, Expiration Date: 06/08/2003, Cancellation Date: 06/09/2005
Registrant: Richard F Daley Jr, 3 Percy Peaks Estates, Stark, NH 03582
- Call Sign: KB1IZA, Licensee ID: L00589250
Grant Date: 10/31/2002, Expiration Date: 10/31/2012, Certifier: Dennis A Croteau
Registrant: Dennis A Croteau, 1279 Stark Hwy, Stark, NH 03582
FAA Registered Aircraft:1
- Aircraft: PIPER PA-28-140 (Category: Land, Seats: 4, Weight: Up to 12,499 Pounds, Speed: 107 mph), Engine: LYCOMING 0-320 SERIES (180 HP) (Reciprocating)
N-Number: 5526F , Serial Number: 28-24867, Year manufactured: 1968, Airworthiness Date: 09/03/1968
Registrant (Individual): Raymond L Landry, 138 Mollybrook Dr, Stark, NH 03582
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Hazardous Condition: 3
Total of 1 patent application in 2008-2016.