|Median resident age:||41.5 years|
|Oregon median age:||36.3 years|
Estimated median house or condo value in 2012: $343,591 (it was $232,500 in 2000)
- White alone - 135 (94.4%)
- Hispanic - 6 (4.2%)
- American Indian alone - 1 (0.7%)
- Two or more races - 1 (0.7%)
Current Local Time: PST time zone
Elevation: 3705 feet
Land area: 628.1 square miles.
Population density: 0.2 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Starkey:
- High school or higher: 100.0%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 48.3%
- Graduate or professional degree: 40.4%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 11.5 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Starkey CCD:
- Never married: 25.2%
- Now married: 70.6%
- Separated: 0.0%
- Widowed: 4.2%
- Divorced: 0.0%
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|Starkey CCD:||0.4% ($933)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Kennewick, WA (81.0 miles , pop. 54,693).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Northwest Clackamas, OR (207.5 miles , pop. 224,220).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Los Angeles, CA (766.8 miles , pop. 3,694,820).
Nearest cities: La Grande, OR (4.1 miles ), Island City, OR (4.4 miles ), North Powder, OR (4.9 miles ), Union, OR (5.0 miles ), Wingville, OR (5.0 miles ), Granite, OR (5.0 miles) , Haines, OR (5.2 miles ), Ukiah, OR (5.3 miles ).
Latitude: 45.17 N, Longitude: 118.37 W
Area code commonly used in this area: 541
Unemployment by year (%)
Average climate in Starkey, Oregon
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Earthquake activity:Starkey-area historical earthquake activity is below Oregon state average. It is 158% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 10/28/1983 at 14:06:06, a magnitude 7.3 (6.2 MB, 7.3 MS, 7.0 MW, Class: Major, Intensity: VIII - XII) earthquake occurred 237.1 miles away from the city center, causing 2 deaths (2 shaking deaths) and 3 injuries, causing $15,000,000 total damage
On 10/3/1915 at 06:52:48, a magnitude 7.6 (7.6 UK) earthquake occurred 326.1 miles away from Starkey center
On 8/18/1959 at 06:37:13, a magnitude 7.7 (7.7 UK) earthquake occurred 380.2 miles away from the city center, causing $26,000,000 total damage
On 4/13/1949 at 19:55:42, a magnitude 7.0 (7.0 UK) earthquake occurred 244.5 miles away from the city center, causing $80,000,000 total damage
On 2/28/2001 at 18:54:32, a magnitude 6.8 (6.5 MB, 6.6 MS, 6.8 MW, Depth: 32.2 mi, Class: Strong, Intensity: VII - IX) earthquake occurred 241.6 miles away from Starkey center, causing $2,000,000,000 total damage and $305,000,000 insured losses
On 4/29/1965 at 15:28:43, a magnitude 6.6 (6.6 UK) earthquake occurred 240.8 miles away from the city center, causing $28,000,000 total damage
Magnitude types: body-wave magnitude (MB), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Union County (5) is smaller than the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 3
Emergencies Declared: 2
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 2, Drought: 1, Heavy Rain: 1, Hurricane: 1, Storm: 1, Winter Storm: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Airports located in Starkey:
- Vey Sheep Ranch Airport (Runways: 1)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Starkey:
- Eastern Oregon University (about 17 miles; La Grande, OR; Full-time enrollment: 3,127)
- Walla Walla Community College (about 63 miles; Walla Walla, WA; FT enrollment: 4,263)
- Columbia Basin College (about 84 miles; Pasco, WA; FT enrollment: 5,111)
- Treasure Valley Community College (about 106 miles; Ontario, OR; FT enrollment: 2,055)
- Lewis-Clark State College (about 108 miles; Lewiston, ID; FT enrollment: 3,199)
- Washington State University (about 123 miles; Pullman, WA; FT enrollment: 25,055)
- University of Idaho (about 126 miles; Moscow, ID; FT enrollment: 10,416)
Notable locations in Starkey: Kamela (A), Research Corrals (B), Only Entry Point (C), Grande Ronde Guard Station (D), Starkey Experimental Forest Headquarters (E), Anthony Lakes Sno-Park (F), Indian Lake Recreation Site (G), Motanic (H), Vey Ranch (I), Grande Ronde Lake Recreation Site (J), Mud Lake Recreation Site (K), Anthony Lakes Forest Service Station (L), Bally Camp (M), River Recreation Site (N), Riley Camp (O), Grande Ronde Lake Campground Boat Ramp (P), Morgan Lake Campground Boat Ramp (Q), Meadow Cow Camp (R), Reinecke Cabin (S), Vincent Ranch (T). Display/hide their locations on the map
Cemetery: Starkey Cemetery (1). Display/hide its location on the map
Lakes and reservoirs: Grande Ronde Lake (A), Hunter Lake (B), Ladd Canyon Pond (C), Morgan Lake (D), Twin Lake (E), Erickson Lake (F), La Grande Reservoir (G), Rainbow Reservoirs (H). Display/hide their locations on the map
Rivers and creeks: Dark Canyon Creek (A), Indiana Creek (B), Fly Creek (C), McIntyre Creek (D), Dry Creek (E), Clear Creek (F), Chicken Creek (G), Campbell Creek (H), Burnt Corral Creek (I). Display/hide their locations on the map
Parks in Starkey include: Red Bridge State Park (1), Morgan Lake Park (2), Hilgard Junction State Park (3). Display/hide their locations on the map
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2012 was 19.0. This is significantly better than average.
Particulate Matter (PM10) [µg/m3] level in 2012 was 16.4. This is better than average. Closest monitor was 17.0 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM2.5) [µg/m3] level in 2010 was 5.89. This is significantly better than average. Closest monitor was 16.5 miles away from the city center.
|This place:||2.1 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
No gay or lesbian households reported
Residents with income below the poverty level in 2009:
Residents with income below 50% of the poverty level in 2009:
24 people in short-term care, detention or diagnostic centers for delinquent children in 2000
Starkey compared to Oregon state average:
- Unemployed percentage significantly below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Renting percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
- Institutionalized population percentage significantly above state average.
- Number of college students significantly below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher significantly above state average.
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (28%)
- Wood (26%)
- Electricity (21%)
- Utility gas (14%)
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (12%)
Religion statistics for Starkey CCD (based on Union County data)Percentage of population affiliated with a religious congregations: 33.62%
Breakdown of population affiliated with a religious congregations
|Name||LDS (Mormon) Church||Catholic Church||Conservative Baptist Association of America||Church of the Nazarene||United Methodist Church|
|Name||Seventh-Day Adventist Church||Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)||Presbyterian Church (USA)||International Church of the Foursquare Gospel||Other|
Tables represent county-level data.
Food Environment Statistics:
|Union County:||3.64 / 10,000 pop.|
|Oregon:||2.03 / 10,000 pop.|
|This county:||0.40 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||0.33 / 10,000 pop.|
|Union County:||1.62 / 10,000 pop.|
|Oregon:||2.01 / 10,000 pop.|
|Union County:||2.43 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||1.69 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||8.89 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||9.93 / 10,000 pop.|
6.22% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($34,591 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Baker County, OR||0.48% ($42,591 average AGI)|
|from Umatilla County, OR||0.46% ($26,167)|
|from Multnomah County, OR||0.25% ($38,130)|
6.76% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($30,457 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Starkey:
- KWEI (1260 AM; 50 kW; WEISER, ID; Owner: TREASURE VALLEY BROADCASTING CO.)
- KBOI (670 AM; 50 kW; BOISE, ID; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- KUMA (1290 AM; 5 kW; PENDLETON, OR; Owner: ROUND-UP RADIO, INC.)
- KTBI (810 AM; daytime; 50 kW; EPHRATA, WA; Owner: TACOMA BROADCASTERS, INCORPORATED)
- KLBM (1450 AM; 1 kW; LA GRANDE, OR; Owner: GRANDE RADIO, INC)
- KPOJ (620 AM; 50 kW; PORTLAND, OR; Owner: CITICASTERS LICENSES, L.P.)
- KFLD (870 AM; 10 kW; PASCO, WA; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- KXL (750 AM; 50 kW; PORTLAND, OR; Owner: ROSE CITY RADIO CORPORATION)
- KQQQ (1150 AM; 25 kW; PULLMAN, WA; Owner: RADIO PALOUSE, INC.)
- KPAM (860 AM; 50 kW; TROUTDALE, OR; Owner: PAMPLIN BROADCASTING-OREGON, INC.)
- KONA (610 AM; 5 kW; KENNEWICK-RICHLAND-P, WA; Owner: COMMONWEALTH LICENSE SUBSIDIARY, LLC)
- KGA (1510 AM; 50 kW; SPOKANE, WA; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- KOTK (1080 AM; 50 kW; PORTLAND, OR; Owner: FISHER BROADCASTING - PORTLAND RADIO, L.L.C.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Starkey:
- KUBQ (98.7 FM; LA GRANDE, OR; Owner: GRANDE RADIO, INC.)
- KCMB (104.7 FM; BAKER, OR; Owner: OREGON TRAIL RADIO, INC.)
- KUMA-FM (107.7 FM; PENDLETON, OR; Owner: ROUND-UP RADIO, INC.)
- KWRL (99.9 FM; LA GRANDE, OR; Owner: KSRV, INC.)
- K208DB (89.5 FM; ENTERPRISE, ETC., OR; Owner: WALLOWA VALLEY TV ASSOCIATION, INC.)
- K234AD (94.7 FM; ENTERPRISE, OR; Owner: WALLOWA VALLEY TV ASSOCIATION, INC.)
- KRKL (93.3 FM; WALLA WALLA, WA; Owner: EDUCATIONAL MEDIA FOUNDATION)
- KZZM (101.9 FM; WESTON, OR; Owner: BUTTERFIELD BROADCASTING CORPORATION)