Steele City, Nebraska
We are giving away $1200 in prizes - enter simply by sending us your own city pictures!
|Median resident age:||43.4 years|
|Nebraska median age:||36.3 years|
Zip code: 68440
Estimated per capita income in 2013: $15,410 (it was $36,214 in 2000)
Estimated median house or condo value in 2013: $24,674 (it was $18,100 in 2000)
Mean prices in 2013: All housing units: $28,358; Detached houses: $28,404
Median gross rent in 2013: $429.
Recent articles from our blog. Our writers, many of them Ph.D. graduates or candidates, create easy-to-read articles on a wide variety of topics.
- How Does the Presence of a Major Employer Affect Crime Rates? Feb 10
- Prosper default rate decreased in 2014 Feb 8
- How important is peer-to-peer loan diversification? Feb 6
- Where Do the Young and Old People Live, and How Has That Changed Over the Years? Feb 4
- Reasons for getting a Lending Club loan Feb 2
Latest news from Steele City, NE collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: German (38.2%), Irish (14.5%), English (10.9%), French (10.9%), Czech (5.5%), Welsh (1.8%).
Current Local Time: CST time zone
Elevation: 1290 feet
Land area: 0.23 square miles.
Population density: 264 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Steele City:
- High school or higher: 84.1%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 14.2%
- Graduate or professional degree: 0.0%
- Unemployed: 19.5%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 20.2 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Steele City village:
- Never married: 25.0%
- Now married: 22.8%
- Separated: 0.0%
- Widowed: 22.8%
- Divorced: 29.3%
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with mortgages in 2013: $452 (1.4%)
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with no mortgage in 2013: $305 (1.4%)
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Lincoln, NE (56.5 miles , pop. 225,581).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Dallas, TX (500.7 miles , pop. 1,188,580).
Nearest cities: Hollenberg, KS (2.0 miles) , Endicott, NE (2.2 miles) , Diller, NE (2.6 miles ), Jansen, NE (3.3 miles) , Fairbury, NE (3.3 miles ), Harbine, NE (3.3 miles) , Odell, NE (3.4 miles ), Hanover, KS (3.6 miles ).
Latitude: 40.04 N, Longitude: 97.02 W
Area code: 402
Unemployment by year (%)
- Transportation and warehousing (63%)
- Retail trade (38%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (0%)
- Mining, quarrying, and oil and gas extraction (0%)
- Construction (0%)
- Manufacturing (0%)
- Wholesale trade (0%)
- Accommodation and food services (44%)
- Public administration (20%)
- Other services, except public administration (12%)
- Retail trade (8%)
- Professional, scientific, and technical services (8%)
- Transportation and warehousing (4%)
- Health care and social assistance (4%)
- Management occupations (25%)
- Office and administrative support occupations (25%)
- Material moving occupations (25%)
- Sales and related occupations (13%)
- Installation, maintenance, and repair occupations (13%)
- Business and financial operations occupations (0%)
- Computer and mathematical occupations (0%)
- Community and social service occupations (20%)
- Office and administrative support occupations (20%)
- Food preparation and serving related occupations (16%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (16%)
- Business and financial operations occupations (12%)
- Sales and related occupations (8%)
- Personal care and service occupations (4%)
Average climate in Steele City, Nebraska
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Steele City-area historical tornado activity is slightly above Nebraska state average. It is 96% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 5/20/1957, a category F4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 14.3 miles away from the Steele City village center caused between $50,000 and $500,000 in damages.
On 5/22/2004, a category F4 tornado 25.5 miles away from the village center killed one person and injured 38 people and caused $160 million in damages.
Earthquake activity:Steele City-area historical earthquake activity is slightly below Nebraska state average. It is 69% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 11/3/2002 at 20:41:56, a magnitude 4.3 (4.3 MB, 4.3 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 212.4 miles away from the city center
On 7/16/2004 at 12:17:30, a magnitude 3.5 (3.5 MW, 3.3 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: II - III) earthquake occurred 88.0 miles away from Steele City center
On 3/4/1983 at 06:32:18, a magnitude 4.6 (4.4 MB, 4.6 LG, 4.4 ML) earthquake occurred 313.8 miles away from the city center
On 2/15/1974 at 13:33:49, a magnitude 4.6 (4.5 MB, 4.6 LG) earthquake occurred 315.5 miles away from the city center
On 9/15/1995 at 00:31:33, a magnitude 4.1 (3.8 LG, 4.1 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 236.9 miles away from Steele City center
On 6/20/2002 at 04:29:40, a magnitude 3.5 (3.3 MB, 3.5 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 131.9 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), local magnitude (ML), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Jefferson County (17) is greater than the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 16
Emergencies Declared: 1
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 11, Storms: 11, Tornadoes: 6, Winter Storms: 3, Hurricane: 1, Ice Storm: 1, Snow: 1, Snowstorm: 1, Wind: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Steele City:
- University of Nebraska-Lincoln (about 57 miles; Lincoln, NE; Full-time enrollment: 20,817)
- Southeast Community College Area (about 58 miles; Lincoln, NE; FT enrollment: 8,838)
- Nebraska Wesleyan University (about 59 miles; Lincoln, NE; FT enrollment: 2,072)
- Kansas State University (about 64 miles; Manhattan, KS; FT enrollment: 20,703)
- Central Community College (about 93 miles; Grand Island, NE; FT enrollment: 4,159)
- Highland Community College (about 94 miles; Highland, KS; FT enrollment: 2,148)
- Bellevue University (about 97 miles; Bellevue, NE; FT enrollment: 7,139)
Notable locations in Steele City: Steele City (A), Steele City Rural Volunteer Fire and Rescue (B). Display/hide their locations on the map
Church in Steele City: Presbyterian Church (A). Display/hide its location on the map
(42.4% for White Non-Hispanic residents)
|This village:||1.8 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
No gay or lesbian households reported
Steele City compared to Nebraska state average:
- Median household income below state average.
- Median house value significantly below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age significantly above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Renting percentage below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly below state average.
- House age significantly above state average.
- Number of college students significantly below state average.
Educational Attainment (%) in 2013
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2013
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (80%)
- Electricity (18%)
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Steele City village (based on Jefferson County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Jefferson County:||2.66 / 10,000 pop.|
|Nebraska:||2.60 / 10,000 pop.|
|Jefferson County:||1.33 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||4.83 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||7.99 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||7.76 / 10,000 pop.|
|Local government employment and payroll (March 2012)|
|Function||Full-time employees||Monthly full-time payroll||Average yearly full-time wage||Part-time employees||Monthly part-time payroll|
|Other and Unallocable||0||$0||1||$74|
|Totals for Government||0||$0||2||$202|
Steele City government finances - Expenditure in 2002 (per resident):
- Current Operations - Central Staff Services: $8,000 ($131.15)
Regular Highways: $7,000 ($114.75)
Financial Administration: $6,000 ($98.36)
Water Utilities: $5,000 ($81.97)
Sewerage: $2,000 ($32.79)
General Public Buildings: $1,000 ($16.39)
- Other Capital Outlay - Regular Highways: $15,000 ($245.90)
Water Utilities: $2,000 ($32.79)
- Total Salaries & Wages: $10,000 ($163.93)
Steele City government finances - Revenue in 2002 (per resident):
- Charges - All Other: $7,000 ($114.75)
Sewerage: $5,000 ($81.97)
- Miscellaneous - General Revenue, NEC: $7,000 ($114.75)
Interest Earnings: $2,000 ($32.79)
- Revenue - Water Utilities: $6,000 ($98.36)
- State Intergovernmental - Highways: $6,000 ($98.36)
General Support: $3,000 ($49.18)
All Other: $2,000 ($32.79)
- Tax - NEC: $4,000 ($65.57)
Property: $3,000 ($49.18)
Steele City government finances - Cash and Securities in 2002 (per resident):
- Other Funds - Cash & Deposits: $81,000 ($1327.87)
5.14% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($29,289 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
5.30% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($29,229 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Steele City:
- KOIL (1020 AM; 50 kW; PLATTSMOUTH, NE; Owner: WAITT RADIO, INC.)
- KFAB (1110 AM; 50 kW; OMAHA, NE; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- KGMT (1310 AM; 1 kW; FAIRBURY, NE; Owner: SIEBERT COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- KKAR (1290 AM; 50 kW; OMAHA, NE; Owner: WAITT RADIO, INC.)
- KRVN (880 AM; 50 kW; LEXINGTON, NE; Owner: NEBRASKA RURAL RADIO ASSOCIATION)
- WHB (810 AM; 50 kW; KANSAS CITY, MO; Owner: UNION BROADCASTING, INC.)
- KFRM (550 AM; 5 kW; SALINA, KS; Owner: TAYLOR COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- KYDZ (1180 AM; 25 kW; BELLEVUE, NE; Owner: WAITT RADIO, INC.)
- KMMJ (750 AM; 11 kW; GRAND ISLAND, NE; Owner: JRK BROADCASTING, L.L.C.)
- WHO (1040 AM; 50 kW; DES MOINES, IA; Owner: CITICASTERS LICENSES, L.P.)
- WIBW (580 AM; 5 kW; TOPEKA, KS; Owner: MCC RADIO, LLC)
- KKHK (1250 AM; 25 kW; KANSAS CITY, KS)
- KWBE (1450 AM; 1 kW; BEATRICE, NE; Owner: MONTEREY LICENSES, LLC)
Strongest FM radio stations in Steele City:
- KUTT (99.5 FM; FAIRBURY, NE; Owner: SIEBERT COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- KQIQ (88.3 FM; BEATRICE, NE; Owner: SOUTHEAST COMMUNITY COLLEGE)
- KNDY-FM (95.5 FM; MARYSVILLE, KS; Owner: DIERKING COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- KTGL (92.9 FM; BEATRICE, NE; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- KUCV (91.1 FM; LINCOLN, NE; Owner: NEBRASKA EDUCATIONAL TELECOMMUNICATIONS COMM.)
TV broadcast stations around Steele City:
- KSNB-TV (Channel 4; SUPERIOR, NE; Owner: COLINS BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- K17CI (Channel 17; BEATRICE, NE; Owner: COLINS BROADCASTING COMPANY)
Steele City fatal accident list:
- National Bridge Inventory (NBI) Statistics
- 2Number of bridges
- 2m7ftTotal length
- $180,000Total costs
- 955Total average daily traffic
- 117Total average daily truck traffic
- 1,242Total future (year 2030) average daily traffic
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 2