Sterling City, Texas
Submit your own pictures of this city and show them to the world
Population change since 2000: -8.1%
|Median resident age:||36.0 years|
|Texas median age:||34.7 years|
Zip codes: 76951.
Estimated per capita income in 2017: $22,508 (it was $14,955 in 2000)
Sterling City city income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2017: $102,700 (it was $46,400 in 2000)
Mean prices in 2017: all housing units: $174,307; detached houses: $202,551; mobile homes: $41,995
Median gross rent in 2017: $885.
(18.4% for White Non-Hispanic residents, 15.1% for Hispanic or Latino residents)
- 53159.8%White alone
- 131.5%Black alone
- 111.2%Two or more races
- 70.8%American Indian alone
- 20.2%Other race alone
According to our research of Texas and other state lists, there were 5 registered sex offenders living in Sterling City, Texas as of December 05, 2020.
The ratio of all residents to sex offenders in Sterling City is 200 to 1.
|Dallas summers (203 replies)|
|What is it like living in Odessa/Midland? (28 replies)|
|Why are San Angelo homes so expensive? (11 replies)|
|Considering Retiring To Texas (22 replies)|
|Central texas/hill country vs East texas/piney woods (165 replies)|
|Watch out for these notorius speed traps in Texas... (24 replies)|
Latest news from Sterling City, TX collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: French (11.5%), Irish (6.4%), German (5.4%), American (5.1%), English (3.3%), Scotch-Irish (1.8%).
Current Local Time: CST time zone
Land area: 0.98 square miles.
Population density: 1,016 people per square mile(low).
71 residents are foreign born (5.6% Latin America, 0.9% Africa).
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with mortgages in 2017: $1,323 (1.1%)
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with no mortgage in 2017: $641 (0.7%)
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: San Angelo, TX (41.2 miles , pop. 88,439).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Austin, TX (219.4 miles , pop. 656,562).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: San Antonio, TX (221.2 miles , pop. 1,144,646).
Latitude: 31.84 N, Longitude: 100.99 W
Area code: 325
- Educational services (13.0%)
- Mining, quarrying, oil & gas extraction (8.5%)
- Health care (8.3%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing & hunting (7.0%)
- Utilities (6.5%)
- Public administration (6.3%)
- Construction (5.4%)
- Mining, quarrying, oil & gas extraction (14.6%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing & hunting (11.9%)
- Utilities (9.3%)
- Construction (7.1%)
- Educational services (7.1%)
- Petroleum & petroleum products merchant wholesalers (5.2%)
- Truck transportation (4.9%)
- Educational services (21.4%)
- Health care (17.2%)
- Food & beverage stores (9.4%)
- Public administration (8.3%)
- Accommodation & food services (6.3%)
- Professional, scientific, technical services (5.7%)
- Finance & insurance (5.2%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (8.0%)
- Driver/sales workers and truck drivers (5.2%)
- Other management occupations, except farmers and farm managers (4.1%)
- Cooks and food preparation workers (4.1%)
- Other sales and related occupations, including supervisors (4.1%)
- Other material moving workers, except laborers (4.1%)
- Preschool, kindergarten, elementary, and middle school teachers (3.7%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (9.0%)
- Driver/sales workers and truck drivers (7.5%)
- Other material moving workers, except laborers (7.1%)
- Farmers and farm managers (6.0%)
- Other production occupations, including supervisors (5.6%)
- Electrical equipment mechanics and other installation, maintenance, and repair workers, including supervisors (5.2%)
- Other management occupations, except farmers and farm managers (4.9%)
- Preschool, kindergarten, elementary, and middle school teachers (8.3%)
- Bookkeeping, accounting, and auditing clerks (8.3%)
- Cooks and food preparation workers (8.3%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (6.8%)
- Secretaries and administrative assistants (6.8%)
- Nursing, psychiatric, and home health aides (6.3%)
- Financial clerks, except bookkeeping, accounting and auditing clerks (4.7%)
Average climate in Sterling City, Texas
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Sterling City-area historical tornado activity is below Texas state average. It is 21% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 5/11/1953, a category F4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 32.1 miles away from the Sterling City city center killed 13 people and injured 159 people and caused between $500,000 and $5,000,000 in damages.
On 4/30/1952, a category F3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 40.6 miles away from the city center injured 6 people and caused between $50,000 and $500,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Sterling City-area historical earthquake activity is above Texas state average. It is 55% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 6/16/1978 at 11:46:54, a magnitude 5.3 (4.4 MB, 4.6 UK, 5.3 ML, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 83.4 miles away from Sterling City center
On 4/14/1995 at 00:32:56, a magnitude 5.7 (5.6 MB, 5.7 MS, 5.7 MW, Depth: 11.1 mi) earthquake occurred 177.6 miles away from the city center
On 1/2/1992 at 11:45:35, a magnitude 5.0 (4.6 MB, 5.0 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 128.6 miles away from the city center
On 12/19/2005 at 20:27:40, a magnitude 4.3 (4.3 MB, 4.1 MW, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 213.9 miles away from Sterling City center
On 4/15/1995 at 14:33:29, a magnitude 4.0 (4.0 LG, Depth: 6.2 mi) earthquake occurred 175.9 miles away from Sterling City center
On 1/29/2008 at 10:24:53, a magnitude 3.3 (3.3 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: II - III) earthquake occurred 73.7 miles away from Sterling City center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Sterling County (6) is smaller than the US average (13).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 1
Emergencies Declared: 5
Causes of natural disasters: Fires: 3, Hurricanes: 3 (Note: some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Hospitals and medical centers in Sterling City:
Airports located in Sterling City:See details about airports located in Sterling City, TX
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Sterling City:
- Howard College (about 40 miles; Big Spring, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,587)
- Angelo State University (about 42 miles; San Angelo, TX; FT enrollment: 6,019)
- Midland College (about 68 miles; Midland, TX; FT enrollment: 3,650)
- The University of Texas of the Permian Basin (about 80 miles; Odessa, TX; FT enrollment: 2,982)
- Odessa College (about 83 miles; Odessa, TX; FT enrollment: 3,107)
- Abilene Christian University (about 87 miles; Abilene, TX; FT enrollment: 4,025)
- Cisco College (about 124 miles; Cisco, TX; FT enrollment: 2,687)
Public high schools in Sterling City:
Public elementary/middle school in Sterling City:
- STERLING CITY EL (Students: 134, Location: 700 7TH ST, Grades: PK-5)
Points of interest:
Notable locations in Sterling City: Sterling County Fire Department (A), Sterling County Emergency Medical Services (B). Display/hide their locations on the map
|This city:||2.5 people|
No gay or lesbian households reported
25 people in nursing homes in 2000
Banks with branches in Sterling City (2011 data):
- The First National Bank of Sterling City: The First National Bank Of Sterling at 602 4th St, branch established on 1910/08/02. Info updated 2010/06/02: Bank assets: $112.5 mil, Deposits: $102.3 mil, local headquarters, positive income, Agricultural Specialization, 3 total offices, Holding Company: Sterling City Bancshares, Inc.
For population 15 years and over in Sterling City:
- Never married: 14.9%
- Now married: 55.5%
- Separated: 3.1%
- Widowed: 8.8%
- Divorced: 17.6%
For population 25 years and over in Sterling City:
- High school or higher: 85.9%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 12.5%
- Graduate or professional degree: 3.7%
- Unemployed: 2.7%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 26.8 minutes
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Sterling City, TX (based on Sterling County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|This county:||8.08 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||1.47 / 10,000 pop.|
|Sterling County:||8.08 / 10,000 pop.|
|Texas:||3.95 / 10,000 pop.|
|Sterling County:||16.16 / 10,000 pop.|
|Texas:||6.13 / 10,000 pop.|
Health and Nutrition:
More about Health and Nutrition of Sterling City, TX Residents
|Local government employment and payroll (March 2012)|
|Function||Full-time employees||Monthly full-time payroll||Average yearly full-time wage||Part-time employees||Monthly part-time payroll|
|Other Government Administration||9||$12,003||$16,004||0||$0|
|Parks and Recreation||1||$4,982||$59,784||0||$0|
|Streets and Highways||1||$4,376||$52,512||0||$0|
|Totals for Government||13||$31,579||$29,150||0||$0|
Sterling City government finances - Expenditure in 2012 (per resident):
- Current Operations - General - Other: $456,000 ($459.21)
Sewerage: $165,000 ($166.16)
Water Utilities: $123,000 ($123.87)
Parks and Recreation: $6,000 ($6.04)
- Total Salaries and Wages: $191,000 ($192.35)
Sterling City government finances - Revenue in 2012 (per resident):
- Charges - Sewerage: $60,000 ($60.42)
Parks and Recreation: $7,000 ($7.05)
- Miscellaneous - Rents: $5,000 ($5.04)
- Revenue - Water Utilities: $162,000 ($163.14)
- State Intergovernmental - Sewerage: $42,000 ($42.30)
- Tax - General Sales and Gross Receipts: $146,000 ($147.03)
Property: $128,000 ($128.90)
Sterling City government finances - Cash and Securities in 2012 (per resident):
- Other Funds - Cash and Securities: $514,000 ($517.62)
Strongest AM radio stations in Sterling City:
- KGKL (960 AM; 5 kW; SAN ANGELO, TX; Owner: KGKL, INC.)
- KCRS (550 AM; 5 kW; MIDLAND, TX; Owner: CCB TEXAS LICENSES, L.P.)
- KKYX (680 AM; 50 kW; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Owner: CXR HOLDINGS, INC.)
- KTKR (760 AM; 50 kW; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Owner: CCB TEXAS LICENSES, L.P.)
- WBAP (820 AM; 50 kW; FORT WORTH, TX; Owner: WBAP-KSCS OPERATING, LTD.)
- KICA (980 AM; 50 kW; CLOVIS, NM; Owner: BROADCAST ENTERTAINMENT CORPORATION)
- KINF (1020 AM; 50 kW; ROSWELL, NM; Owner: JAMES CRYSTAL HOLDINGS OF NEW MEXICO, INC.)
- KAHZ (1360 AM; 50 kW; HURST, TX)
- KMUL (1380 AM; 50 kW; MULESHOE, TX; Owner: BROADCAST ENTERTAINMENT CORPORATION)
- WOAI (1200 AM; 50 kW; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Owner: CCB TEXAS LICENSES, L.P.)
- KESS (1270 AM; 50 kW; FORT WORTH, TX; Owner: KESS-AM LICENSE CORP.)
- KRLD (1080 AM; 50 kW; DALLAS, TX; Owner: TEXAS INFINITY BROADCASTING L.P.)
- KZMP (1540 AM; 50 kW; UNIVERSITY PARK, TX; Owner: ENTRAVISION HOLDINGS, LLC)
Strongest FM radio stations in Sterling City:
- KCSE (96.5 FM; STERLING CITY, TX; Owner: GRAHAM BROTHERS COMM., L.L.C..)
- KUTX (90.1 FM; SAN ANGELO, TX; Owner: THE UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS AT AUSTIN)
TV broadcast stations around Sterling City:
- KIDY (Channel 6; SAN ANGELO, TX; Owner: SAGE BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- K44FJ (Channel 44; SAN ANGELO, TX; Owner: TRINITY BROADCASTING NETWORK)
Sterling City fatal accident list:
Jan 24, 1990 04:15 PM, Mainstreet, Vehicles: 2, Persons: 2, Fatalities: 1
Oct 29, 1985 07:00 PM, 87, Vehicles: 1, Persons: 4, Fatalities: 2
Oct 3, 1982 04:50 AM, 87, Vehicles: 1, Persons: 1, Fatalities: 1, Drunk persons involved: 1
- National Bridge Inventory (NBI) Statistics
- 17Number of bridges
- 56ft / 17.4mTotal length
- $6,000Total costs
- 74,490Total average daily traffic
- 14,541Total average daily truck traffic
- 104,240Total future (year 2028) average daily traffic
- New bridges - historical statistics
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses:3
- Call Sign: AA5SN, Previous Call Sign: KI5EW, Licensee ID: L00216944, Grant Date: 03/10/2000, Expiration Date: 06/05/2010, Cancellation Date: 01/04/2008, Registrant: Ralph M Sides, Sterling City, TX 76951
- Call Sign: KC5DIP, Grant Date: 09/21/1993, Expiration Date: 09/21/2003, Cancellation Date: 09/22/2005, Registrant: Joshua Z Sides, Box 1026 13th, Sterling City, TX 76951
- Call Sign: N5FTL, Previous Call Sign: KA5PQU, Licensee ID: L00069515, Grant Date: 02/05/2013, Expiration Date: 02/05/2023, Registrant: Royal D Ferguson, Sterling City, TX 76951
|Most common first names in Sterling City, TX among deceased individuals|
|Most common last names in Sterling City, TX among deceased individuals|
|Last name||Count||Lived (average)|
Sterling City compared to Texas state average:
- Median house value below state average.
- Unemployed percentage significantly below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age significantly above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly above state average.
- Renting percentage below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
- Institutionalized population percentage above state average.
- Number of college students significantly below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher below state average.