|Median resident age:||42.5 years|
|Texas median age:||30.8 years|
Zip codes: 76951.
Sterling City city income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2012: $56,121 (it was $46,400 in 2000)
Median gross rent in 2012: $601.
- White alone - 531 (59.8%)
- Hispanic - 324 (36.5%)
- Black alone - 13 (1.5%)
- Two or more races - 11 (1.2%)
- American Indian alone - 7 (0.8%)
- Other race alone - 2 (0.2%)
|Central texas/hill country vs East texas/piney woods (159 replies)|
|What Texas City do you think of when you hear these words? (59 replies)|
|What Gives? Why is it so difficult to rent a house in the Midland/Odessa area? (91 replies)|
|Are there misconceptions about the humidity in Texas? (126 replies)|
|Sh 158 (4 replies)|
|Possibly Relocating to San Angelo or Midland - advice please!!! (13 replies)|
Latest news from Sterling City, TX collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: German (11.9%), English (9.4%), Irish (8.9%), United States (7.1%), Dutch (4.2%), Scottish (3.1%).
Current Local Time: CST time zone
Land area: 0.98 square miles.
Population density: 967 people per square mile(low).
For population 25 years and over in Sterling City:
- High school or higher: 77.7%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 15.0%
- Graduate or professional degree: 1.0%
- Unemployed: 2.7%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 26.8 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Sterling City city:
- Never married: 27.2%
- Now married: 53.4%
- Separated: 1.5%
- Widowed: 9.0%
- Divorced: 8.9%
71 residents are foreign born
According to our research of Texas and other state lists there was 1 registered sex offender living in Sterling City, Texas as of April 18, 2015.
The ratio of number of residents in Sterling City to the number of sex offenders is 925 to 1.
The number of registered sex offenders compared to the number of residents in this city is smaller than the state average.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with mortgages in 2012: $785 (1.0%)
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with no mortgage in 2012: $653 (1.3%)
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: San Angelo, TX (41.2 miles , pop. 88,439).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Austin, TX (219.4 miles , pop. 656,562).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: San Antonio, TX (221.2 miles , pop. 1,144,646).
Nearest cities: Carlsbad, TX (5.1 miles ), Forsan, TX (5.4 miles ), Garden City, TX (5.4 miles ), Robert Lee, TX (5.4 miles ), Grape Creek, TX (5.6 miles ), Lake Colorado City, TX (5.9 miles ), Westbrook, TX (6.0 miles ), West Tom Green, TX (6.0 miles ).
Latitude: 31.84 N, Longitude: 100.99 W
Area code: 325
Unemployment by year (%)
- Mining, quarrying, and oil and gas extraction (37%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (11%)
- Construction (10%)
- Finance and insurance (8%)
- Public administration (8%)
- Utilities (6%)
- Wholesale trade (5%)
- Health care and social assistance (36%)
- Retail trade (12%)
- Manufacturing (11%)
- Educational services (10%)
- Finance and insurance (7%)
- Other services, except public administration (6%)
- Transportation and warehousing (3%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (9%)
- Driver/sales workers and truck drivers (7%)
- Material moving workers except supervisors and laborers and material movers, hand (7%)
- Farmers and farm managers (6%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (6%)
- Electrical equipment mechanics and other installation, maintenance, and repair occupations including supervisors (5%)
- Other sales and related workers including supervisors (5%)
- Preschool, kindergarten, elementary and middle school teachers (8%)
- Cooks and food preparation workers (8%)
- Bookkeeping, accounting, and auditing clerks (8%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (7%)
- Secretaries and administrative assistants (7%)
- Nursing, psychiatric, and home health aides (6%)
- Cashiers (5%)
Average climate in Sterling City, Texas
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Sterling City-area historical tornado activity is below Texas state average. It is 21% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 5/11/1953, a category F4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 32.1 miles away from the Sterling City city center killed 13 people and injured 159 people and caused between $500,000 and $5,000,000 in damages.
On 4/30/1952, a category F3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 40.6 miles away from the city center injured 6 people and caused between $50,000 and $500,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Sterling City-area historical earthquake activity is above Texas state average. It is 55% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 6/16/1978 at 11:46:54, a magnitude 5.3 (4.4 MB, 4.6 UK, 5.3 ML, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 83.4 miles away from the city center
On 4/14/1995 at 00:32:56, a magnitude 5.7 (5.6 MB, 5.7 MS, 5.7 MW, Depth: 11.1 mi) earthquake occurred 177.6 miles away from Sterling City center
On 1/2/1992 at 11:45:35, a magnitude 5.0 (4.6 MB, 5.0 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 128.6 miles away from the city center
On 12/19/2005 at 20:27:40, a magnitude 4.3 (4.3 MB, 4.1 MW, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 213.9 miles away from the city center
On 4/15/1995 at 14:33:29, a magnitude 4.0 (4.0 LG, Depth: 6.2 mi) earthquake occurred 175.9 miles away from Sterling City center
On 1/29/2008 at 10:24:53, a magnitude 3.3 (3.3 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: II - III) earthquake occurred 73.7 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Sterling County (6) is smaller than the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 1
Emergencies Declared: 5
Causes of natural disasters: Fires: 3, Hurricanes: 3 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Hospitals and medical centers in Sterling City:
Airports located in Sterling City:
- Alvie Cole Ranch Airport (Runways: 1, Itinerant Ops: 10)
- Mc Entire's Lazy V Ranch Airport (Runways: 2)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Sterling City:
- Howard College (about 40 miles; Big Spring, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,587)
- Angelo State University (about 42 miles; San Angelo, TX; FT enrollment: 6,019)
- Midland College (about 68 miles; Midland, TX; FT enrollment: 3,650)
- The University of Texas of the Permian Basin (about 80 miles; Odessa, TX; FT enrollment: 2,982)
- Odessa College (about 83 miles; Odessa, TX; FT enrollment: 3,107)
- Abilene Christian University (about 87 miles; Abilene, TX; FT enrollment: 4,025)
- Cisco College (about 124 miles; Cisco, TX; FT enrollment: 2,687)
Public high schools in Sterling City:
- Sterling City High School (Students: 62; Location: 700 7TH ST; Grades: 9-12; Our rating: 17)
- Sterling City/Veribest Special Programs School (Location: 700 7TH ST; Grades: EE-12)
- Wall Special Programs School (Location: 8065 LOOP 570; Grades: EE-12)
- Fairview Special Programs School (Location: 2405 FAIRVIEW SCHOOL RD; Grades: 8-12)
- Water Valley Voc Train School (Location: 17974 COMMERCE; Grades: 9-12)
- Fairview Daep School (Location: 2405 FAIRVIEW SCHOOL RD; Grades: 6-12)
Public elementary/middle school in Sterling City:
- Sterling City Elementary School (Students: 134; Location: 700 7TH ST; Grades: K-8; Our rating: 29)
Notable locations in Sterling City: Sterling County Fire Department (A), Sterling County Emergency Medical Services (B). Display/hide their locations on the map
(17.3% for White Non-Hispanic residents, 22.6% for Hispanic or Latino residents, 32.4% for other race residents, 0.0% for two or more races residents)
|This city:||2.5 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
No gay or lesbian households reported
25 people in nursing homes in 2000
Sterling City compared to Texas state average:
- Median house value significantly below state average.
- Unemployed percentage significantly below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age significantly above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Renting percentage below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in below state average.
- House age above state average.
- Institutionalized population percentage above state average.
- Number of college students significantly below state average.
Banks with branches in Sterling City (2011 data):
- The First National Bank of Sterling City: The First National Bank Of Sterling at 602 4th St, branch established on 1910/08/02. Info updated 2010/06/02: Bank assets: $112.5 mil, Deposits: $102.3 mil, local headquarters, positive income, Agricultural Specialization, 3 total offices, Holding Company: Sterling City Bancshares, Inc.
Educational Attainment (%) in 2012
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2012
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Utility gas (58%)
- Electricity (36%)
- Wood (3%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (2%)
Presidential Elections Results
1996 Presidential Elections Results
2000 Presidential Elections Results
2004 Presidential Elections Results
2008 Presidential Elections Results
2012 Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Sterling City city (based on Sterling County data)Percentage of population affiliated with a religious congregations: 86.58%
Breakdown of population affiliated with a religious congregations
|Name||Southern Baptist Convention||United Methodist Church||Catholic Church||Churches of Christ||Other|
Tables represent county-level data.
Food Environment Statistics:
|Sterling County:||8.08 / 10,000 pop.|
|Texas:||1.47 / 10,000 pop.|
|Sterling County:||8.08 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||3.95 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||16.16 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||6.13 / 10,000 pop.|
|Local government employment and payroll (March 2012)|
|Function||Full-time employees||Monthly full-time payroll||Average yearly full-time wage||Part-time employees||Monthly part-time payroll|
|Other Government Administration||9||$12,003||$16,004||0||$0|
|Streets and Highways||1||$4,376||$52,512||0||$0|
|Parks and Recreation||1||$4,982||$59,784||0||$0|
|Totals for Government||13||$31,579||$29,150||0||$0|
11.24% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($49,900 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
10.99% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($39,590 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Strongest AM radio stations in Sterling City:
- KGKL (960 AM; 5 kW; SAN ANGELO, TX; Owner: KGKL, INC.)
- KCRS (550 AM; 5 kW; MIDLAND, TX; Owner: CCB TEXAS LICENSES, L.P.)
- KKYX (680 AM; 50 kW; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Owner: CXR HOLDINGS, INC.)
- KTKR (760 AM; 50 kW; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Owner: CCB TEXAS LICENSES, L.P.)
- WBAP (820 AM; 50 kW; FORT WORTH, TX; Owner: WBAP-KSCS OPERATING, LTD.)
- KICA (980 AM; 50 kW; CLOVIS, NM; Owner: BROADCAST ENTERTAINMENT CORPORATION)
- KINF (1020 AM; 50 kW; ROSWELL, NM; Owner: JAMES CRYSTAL HOLDINGS OF NEW MEXICO, INC.)
- KAHZ (1360 AM; 50 kW; HURST, TX)
- KMUL (1380 AM; 50 kW; MULESHOE, TX; Owner: BROADCAST ENTERTAINMENT CORPORATION)
- WOAI (1200 AM; 50 kW; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Owner: CCB TEXAS LICENSES, L.P.)
- KESS (1270 AM; 50 kW; FORT WORTH, TX; Owner: KESS-AM LICENSE CORP.)
- KRLD (1080 AM; 50 kW; DALLAS, TX; Owner: TEXAS INFINITY BROADCASTING L.P.)
- KZMP (1540 AM; 50 kW; UNIVERSITY PARK, TX; Owner: ENTRAVISION HOLDINGS, LLC)
Strongest FM radio stations in Sterling City:
- KCSE (96.5 FM; STERLING CITY, TX; Owner: GRAHAM BROTHERS COMM., L.L.C..)
- KUTX (90.1 FM; SAN ANGELO, TX; Owner: THE UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS AT AUSTIN)
TV broadcast stations around Sterling City:
- KIDY (Channel 6; SAN ANGELO, TX; Owner: SAGE BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- K44FJ (Channel 44; SAN ANGELO, TX; Owner: TRINITY BROADCASTING NETWORK)
Sterling City fatal accident list:
Jan 24, 1990 04:15 PM, Mainstreet, Vehicles: 2, Persons: 2, Fatalities: 1
Oct 29, 1985 07:00 PM, 87, Vehicles: 1, Persons: 4, Fatalities: 2
Oct 3, 1982 04:50 AM, 87, Vehicles: 1, Persons: 1, Fatalities: 1, Drunken drivers: 1
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses:5
- Call Sign: AA5SN, Previous Call Sign: KI5EW, Licensee ID: L00216944
Grant Date: 03/10/2000, Expiration Date: 06/05/2010, Cancellation Date: 01/04/2008
Registrant: Ralph M Sides, Sterling City, TX 76951
- Call Sign: KC5DIP
Grant Date: 09/21/1993, Expiration Date: 09/21/2003, Cancellation Date: 09/22/2005
Registrant: Joshua Z Sides, Box 1026 13th, Sterling City, TX 76951
- Call Sign: N5FTL, Previous Call Sign: KA5PQU, Licensee ID: L00069515
Grant Date: 02/05/2013, Expiration Date: 02/05/2023
Registrant: Royal D Ferguson, Sterling City, TX 76951
- Call Sign: WD5EPB, Licensee ID: L00257784
Grant Date: 09/22/2011, Expiration Date: 12/03/2021, Certifier: Reynolds L Foster
Registrant: Reynolds L Foster, Sterling City, TX 76951
- Call Sign: WI5N, Previous Call Sign: AA5SN, Licensee ID: L00216944
Grant Date: 01/04/2008, Expiration Date: 01/04/2018, Certifier: Ralph M Sides
Registrant: Ralph M Sides, Sterling City, TX 76951
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 2
|Most common first names in Sterling City, TX among deceased individuals|
|Most common last names in Sterling City, TX among deceased individuals|
|Last name||Count||Lived (average)|