Sterling City, Texas
We are giving away $1200 in prizes - enter simply by sending us your own city pictures!
|Median resident age:||35.8 years|
|Texas median age:||34.5 years|
Zip codes: 76951.
Estimated per capita income in 2016: $23,924 (it was $14,955 in 2000)
Sterling City city income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2016: $101,178 (it was $46,400 in 2000)
Mean prices in 2016: All housing units: $165,882; Detached houses: $192,379; Mobile homes: $43,580
Median gross rent in 2016: $857.
Races in Sterling City, TX (2010)
- 53159.8%White alone
- 131.5%Black alone
- 111.2%Two or more races
- 70.8%American Indian alone
- 20.2%Other race alone
Latest news from Sterling City, TX collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: French (10.1%), Irish (6.1%), American (4.9%), German (4.8%), English (2.8%), Scotch-Irish (1.8%).
Current Local Time: CST time zone
Land area: 0.98 square miles.
Population density: 1,063 people per square mile(low).
For population 25 years and over in Sterling City:
- High school or higher: 85.9%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 12.5%
- Graduate or professional degree: 3.7%
- Unemployed: 2.7%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 26.8 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Sterling City city:
- Never married: 15.0%
- Now married: 55.2%
- Separated: 3.2%
- Widowed: 9.0%
- Divorced: 17.6%
69 residents are foreign born (5.5% Latin America, 0.9% Africa).
According to our research of Texas and other state lists there were 5 registered sex offenders living in Sterling City, Texas as of February 20, 2018.
The ratio of number of residents in Sterling City to the number of sex offenders is 200 to 1.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with mortgages in 2016: $1,262 (1.1%)
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with no mortgage in 2016: $609 (0.8%)
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: San Angelo, TX (41.2 miles , pop. 88,439).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Austin, TX (219.4 miles , pop. 656,562).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: San Antonio, TX (221.2 miles , pop. 1,144,646).
Nearest cities: Carlsbad, TX (5.1 miles ), Forsan, TX (5.4 miles ), Garden City, TX (5.4 miles ), Robert Lee, TX (5.4 miles ), Grape Creek, TX (5.6 miles ), Lake Colorado City, TX (5.9 miles ), Westbrook, TX (6.0 miles ), West Tom Green, TX (6.0 miles ).
Latitude: 31.84 N, Longitude: 100.99 W
Area code: 325
Unemployment by year (%)
- Mining, quarrying, and oil and gas extraction (20%)
- Wholesale trade (14%)
- Public administration (13%)
- Construction (12%)
- Retail trade (12%)
- Transportation and warehousing (9%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (6%)
- Health care and social assistance (41%)
- Educational services (21%)
- Retail trade (19%)
- Accommodation and food services (6%)
- Finance and insurance (5%)
- Transportation and warehousing (3%)
- Other services, except public administration (3%)
- Sales and related occupations (20%)
- Construction and extraction occupations (14%)
- Material moving occupations (13%)
- Transportation occupations (11%)
- Law enforcement workers including supervisors (8%)
- Farming, fishing, and forestry occupations (6%)
- Management occupations (5%)
- Sales and related occupations (23%)
- Food preparation and serving related occupations (17%)
- Office and administrative support occupations (14%)
- Health technologists and technicians (10%)
- Education, training, and library occupations (10%)
- Healthcare support occupations (10%)
- Health diagnosing and treating practitioners and other technical occupations (8%)
Average climate in Sterling City, Texas
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Sterling City-area historical tornado activity is below Texas state average. It is 21% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 5/11/1953, a category F4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 32.1 miles away from the Sterling City city center killed 13 people and injured 159 people and caused between $500,000 and $5,000,000 in damages.
On 4/30/1952, a category F3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 40.6 miles away from the city center injured 6 people and caused between $50,000 and $500,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Sterling City-area historical earthquake activity is above Texas state average. It is 55% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 6/16/1978 at 11:46:54, a magnitude 5.3 (4.4 MB, 4.6 UK, 5.3 ML, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 83.4 miles away from the city center
On 4/14/1995 at 00:32:56, a magnitude 5.7 (5.6 MB, 5.7 MS, 5.7 MW, Depth: 11.1 mi) earthquake occurred 177.6 miles away from Sterling City center
On 1/2/1992 at 11:45:35, a magnitude 5.0 (4.6 MB, 5.0 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 128.6 miles away from the city center
On 12/19/2005 at 20:27:40, a magnitude 4.3 (4.3 MB, 4.1 MW, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 213.9 miles away from the city center
On 4/15/1995 at 14:33:29, a magnitude 4.0 (4.0 LG, Depth: 6.2 mi) earthquake occurred 175.9 miles away from Sterling City center
On 1/29/2008 at 10:24:53, a magnitude 3.3 (3.3 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: II - III) earthquake occurred 73.7 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Sterling County (6) is smaller than the US average (13).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 1
Emergencies Declared: 5
Causes of natural disasters: Fires: 3, Hurricanes: 3 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Hospitals and medical centers in Sterling City:
airports located in Sterling City:See details about airports located in Sterling City, TX
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Sterling City:
- Howard College (about 40 miles; Big Spring, TX; Full-time enrollment: 2,587)
- Angelo State University (about 42 miles; San Angelo, TX; FT enrollment: 6,019)
- Midland College (about 68 miles; Midland, TX; FT enrollment: 3,650)
- The University of Texas of the Permian Basin (about 80 miles; Odessa, TX; FT enrollment: 2,982)
- Odessa College (about 83 miles; Odessa, TX; FT enrollment: 3,107)
- Abilene Christian University (about 87 miles; Abilene, TX; FT enrollment: 4,025)
- Cisco College (about 124 miles; Cisco, TX; FT enrollment: 2,687)
Public high schools in Sterling City:
Public elementary/middle school in Sterling City:
- STERLING CITY EL (Students: 134, Location: 700 7TH ST, Grades: PK-5)
Notable locations in Sterling City: Sterling County Fire Department (A), Sterling County Emergency Medical Services (B). Display/hide their locations on the map
(18.4% for White Non-Hispanic residents, 15.1% for Hispanic or Latino residents)
|This city:||2.5 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
No gay or lesbian households reported
25 people in nursing homes in 2000
Banks with branches in Sterling City (2011 data):
- The First National Bank of Sterling City: The First National Bank Of Sterling at 602 4th St, branch established on 1910/08/02. Info updated 2010/06/02: Bank assets: $112.5 mil, Deposits: $102.3 mil, local headquarters, positive income, Agricultural Specialization, 3 total offices, Holding Company: Sterling City Bancshares, Inc.
Educational Attainment (%) in 2016
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2016
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Sterling City city (based on Sterling County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Sterling County:||8.08 / 10,000 pop.|
|Texas:||1.47 / 10,000 pop.|
|Sterling County:||8.08 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||3.95 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||16.16 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||6.13 / 10,000 pop.|
Health and Nutrition:
More about Health and Nutrition of Sterling City, TX Residents
|Local government employment and payroll (March 2012)|
|Function||Full-time employees||Monthly full-time payroll||Average yearly full-time wage||Part-time employees||Monthly part-time payroll|
|Other Government Administration||9||$12,003||$16,004||0||$0|
|Streets and Highways||1||$4,376||$52,512||0||$0|
|Parks and Recreation||1||$4,982||$59,784||0||$0|
|Totals for Government||13||$31,579||$29,150||0||$0|
11.24% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($49,900 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
10.99% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($39,590 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Strongest AM radio stations in Sterling City:
- KGKL (960 AM; 5 kW; SAN ANGELO, TX; Owner: KGKL, INC.)
- KCRS (550 AM; 5 kW; MIDLAND, TX; Owner: CCB TEXAS LICENSES, L.P.)
- KKYX (680 AM; 50 kW; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Owner: CXR HOLDINGS, INC.)
- KTKR (760 AM; 50 kW; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Owner: CCB TEXAS LICENSES, L.P.)
- WBAP (820 AM; 50 kW; FORT WORTH, TX; Owner: WBAP-KSCS OPERATING, LTD.)
- KICA (980 AM; 50 kW; CLOVIS, NM; Owner: BROADCAST ENTERTAINMENT CORPORATION)
- KINF (1020 AM; 50 kW; ROSWELL, NM; Owner: JAMES CRYSTAL HOLDINGS OF NEW MEXICO, INC.)
- KAHZ (1360 AM; 50 kW; HURST, TX)
- KMUL (1380 AM; 50 kW; MULESHOE, TX; Owner: BROADCAST ENTERTAINMENT CORPORATION)
- WOAI (1200 AM; 50 kW; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Owner: CCB TEXAS LICENSES, L.P.)
- KESS (1270 AM; 50 kW; FORT WORTH, TX; Owner: KESS-AM LICENSE CORP.)
- KRLD (1080 AM; 50 kW; DALLAS, TX; Owner: TEXAS INFINITY BROADCASTING L.P.)
- KZMP (1540 AM; 50 kW; UNIVERSITY PARK, TX; Owner: ENTRAVISION HOLDINGS, LLC)
Strongest FM radio stations in Sterling City:
- KCSE (96.5 FM; STERLING CITY, TX; Owner: GRAHAM BROTHERS COMM., L.L.C..)
- KUTX (90.1 FM; SAN ANGELO, TX; Owner: THE UNIVERSITY OF TEXAS AT AUSTIN)
TV broadcast stations around Sterling City:
- KIDY (Channel 6; SAN ANGELO, TX; Owner: SAGE BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- K44FJ (Channel 44; SAN ANGELO, TX; Owner: TRINITY BROADCASTING NETWORK)
Sterling City fatal accident list:
Jan 24, 1990 04:15 PM, Mainstreet, Vehicles: 2, Persons: 2, Fatalities: 1
Oct 29, 1985 07:00 PM, 87, Vehicles: 1, Persons: 4, Fatalities: 2
Oct 3, 1982 04:50 AM, 87, Vehicles: 1, Persons: 1, Fatalities: 1, Drunken persons involved: 1
- National Bridge Inventory (NBI) Statistics
- 1Number of bridges
- 2m7ftTotal length
- 5,000Total average daily traffic
- 850Total average daily truck traffic
- 7,000Total future (year 2032) average daily traffic
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses:4
- Call Sign: AA5SN, Previous Call Sign: KI5EW, Licensee ID: L00216944, Grant Date: 03/10/2000, Expiration Date: 06/05/2010, Cancellation Date: 01/04/2008, Registrant: Ralph M Sides, Sterling City, TX 76951
- Call Sign: KC5DIP, Grant Date: 09/21/1993, Expiration Date: 09/21/2003, Cancellation Date: 09/22/2005, Registrant: Joshua Z Sides, Box 1026 13th, Sterling City, TX 76951
- Call Sign: N5FTL, Previous Call Sign: KA5PQU, Licensee ID: L00069515, Grant Date: 02/05/2013, Expiration Date: 02/05/2023, Registrant: Royal D Ferguson, Sterling City, TX 76951
- Call Sign: WD5EPB, Licensee ID: L00257784, Grant Date: 09/22/2011, Expiration Date: 12/03/2021, Certifier: Reynolds L Foster, Registrant: Reynolds L Foster, Sterling City, TX 76951
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 2
|Most common first names in Sterling City, TX among deceased individuals|
|Most common last names in Sterling City, TX among deceased individuals|
|Last name||Count||Lived (average)|
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Electricity (57%)
- Utility gas (33%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (5%)
- Wood (4%)
Sterling City compared to Texas state average:
- Median house value below state average.
- Unemployed percentage significantly below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age significantly above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Renting percentage below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- House age above state average.
- Institutionalized population percentage above state average.
- Number of college students significantly below state average.