Strong City, Kansas
Strong City: Tallgrass Prairie National Preserve
Strong City: Old Train station in Strong City, KS
We are giving away $1200 in prizes - enter simply by sending us your own city pictures!
|Median resident age:||46.5 years|
|Kansas median age:||36.5 years|
Zip codes: 66869.
Estimated per capita income in 2016: $23,344 (it was $13,807 in 2000)
Strong City city income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2016: $45,301 (it was $27,900 in 2000)
Mean prices in 2016: All housing units: $62,808; Detached houses: $65,990; Mobile homes: $44,244
Median gross rent in 2016: $522.
Races in Strong City, KS (2010)
- 46796.3%White alone
- 61.2%Two or more races
- 40.8%American Indian alone
- 30.6%Black alone
|Best small town in KS? Why? (100 replies)|
|PrairyErth book/Strong County, KS (23 replies)|
|Rural Kansas Art Galleries in the Flint Hills (15 replies)|
|Top 5 small towns in Kansas (travelks.com compilation) (4 replies)|
|Kansas pictures (292 replies)|
|Best nature walks in the state? (6 replies)|
Latest news from Strong City, KS collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: German (28.7%), American (16.1%), Irish (10.9%), English (10.0%), Canadian (1.7%), Polish (1.3%).
Current Local Time: CST time zone
Elevation: 1182 feet
Land area: 0.54 square miles.
Population density: 856 people per square mile(low).
For population 25 years and over in Strong City:
- High school or higher: 86.6%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 15.4%
- Graduate or professional degree: 3.4%
- Unemployed: 4.1%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 19.6 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Strong City city:
- Never married: 21.6%
- Now married: 54.6%
- Separated: 3.1%
- Widowed: 10.4%
- Divorced: 10.4%
4 residents are foreign born
According to our research of Kansas and other state lists there were 2 registered sex offenders living in Strong City, Kansas as of April 26, 2019.
The ratio of number of residents in Strong City to the number of sex offenders is 233 to 1.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with mortgages in 2016: $1,471 (1.9%)
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with no mortgage in 2016: $669 (1.9%)
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Topeka, KS (63.9 miles , pop. 122,377).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Wichita, KS (65.4 miles , pop. 344,284).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Dallas, TX (387.3 miles , pop. 1,188,580).
Nearest cities: Cottonwood Falls, KS (1.4 miles ), Elmdale, KS (2.5 miles) , Dunlap, KS (3.9 miles) , Matfield Green, KS (4.0 miles) , Americus, KS (4.1 miles ), Cedar Point, KS (4.2 miles) , Wilsey, KS (4.3 miles) , Council Grove, KS (4.3 miles ).
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 2002: 1 building, cost: $102,400
Latitude: 38.39 N, Longitude: 96.54 W
Area code commonly used in this area: 620
Unemployment by year (%)
- Manufacturing (26%)
- Construction (13%)
- Retail trade (12%)
- Transportation and warehousing (10%)
- Administrative and support and waste management services (10%)
- Arts, entertainment, and recreation (9%)
- Educational services (7%)
- Manufacturing (21%)
- Retail trade (21%)
- Real estate and rental and leasing (10%)
- Health care and social assistance (9%)
- Accommodation and food services (8%)
- Other services, except public administration (8%)
- Administrative and support and waste management services (7%)
- Installation, maintenance, and repair occupations (20%)
- Production occupations (18%)
- Transportation occupations (14%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (11%)
- Sales and related occupations (11%)
- Construction and extraction occupations (10%)
- Management occupations (5%)
- Office and administrative support occupations (23%)
- Sales and related occupations (21%)
- Personal care and service occupations (10%)
- Management occupations (9%)
- Food preparation and serving related occupations (8%)
- Business and financial operations occupations (6%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (6%)
Average climate in Strong City, Kansas
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Strong City-area historical tornado activity is near Kansas state average. It is 80% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 3/13/1990, a category F5 (max. wind speeds 261-318 mph) tornado 34.3 miles away from the Strong City city center killed one person and caused between $5,000,000 and $50,000,000 in damages.
On 6/8/1974, a category F4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 17.3 miles away from the city center killed 6 people and injured 177 people and caused between $5,000,000 and $50,000,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Strong City-area historical earthquake activity is slightly below Kansas state average. It is 69% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 9/15/1995 at 00:31:33, a magnitude 4.1 (3.8 LG, 4.1 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 158.2 miles away from the city center
On 2/15/1974 at 13:33:49, a magnitude 4.6 (4.5 MB, 4.6 LG) earthquake occurred 263.1 miles away from Strong City center
On 9/6/1997 at 23:38:00, a magnitude 4.5 (4.5 LG, 4.2 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 258.4 miles away from the city center
On 5/4/2001 at 06:42:12, a magnitude 4.7 (4.2 MB, 4.7 LG, 4.5 LG, Depth: 6.2 mi) earthquake occurred 326.3 miles away from the city center
On 1/21/1982 at 00:33:54, a magnitude 4.7 (4.5 MB, 4.7 LG, 4.5 LG) earthquake occurred 327.4 miles away from Strong City center
On 10/30/1998 at 17:41:22, a magnitude 3.5 (3.5 LG, 3.4 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: II - III) earthquake occurred 124.7 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Chase County (15) is near the US average (13).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 13
Emergencies Declared: 2
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 11, Storms: 9, Tornadoes: 7, Winter Storms: 4, Winds: 3, Heavy Rain: 1, Hurricane: 1, Snow: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Strong City:
- Emporia State University (about 20 miles; Emporia, KS; Full-time enrollment: 4,687)
- Butler Community College (about 45 miles; El Dorado, KS; FT enrollment: 6,676)
- Kansas State University (about 55 miles; Manhattan, KS; FT enrollment: 20,703)
- Wichita Area Technical College (about 58 miles; Wichita, KS; FT enrollment: 2,220)
- Wichita State University (about 63 miles; Wichita, KS; FT enrollment: 11,743)
- Washburn University (about 64 miles; Topeka, KS; FT enrollment: 5,092)
- Friends University (about 68 miles; Wichita, KS; FT enrollment: 2,024)
Public elementary/middle school in Strong City:
- CHASE COUNTY ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 176, Location: 410 PALMER, Grades: PK-6)
Notable locations in Strong City: Strong City Town Hall (A), Chase County Rural Fire Department Strong City Station (B). Display/hide their locations on the map
Churches in Strong City include: Grace Lutheran Church (A), Saint Anthony's Catholic Church (B), Strong City United Methodist Church (C). Display/hide their locations on the map
Hotel: Prairie Fire Inn & Spa (301 East 7).
(20.4% for White Non-Hispanic residents, 6.7% for two or more races residents)
|This city:||2.3 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
No gay or lesbian households reported
Banks with branches in Strong City (2011 data):
- Cottonwood Valley Bank: Strong City Branch at 303 Cottonwood Street, branch established on 1984/11/29. Info updated 2012/03/30: Bank assets: $21.8 mil, Deposits: $19.0 mil, headquarters in Cedar Point, KS, positive income, Agricultural Specialization, 5 total offices, Holding Company: Cedar Point Bancshares, Inc.
Educational Attainment (%) in 2016
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2016
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Strong City city (based on Chase County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Chase County:||3.51 / 10,000 pop.|
|Kansas:||1.96 / 10,000 pop.|
|Chase County:||7.02 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||3.84 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||10.53 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||7.33 / 10,000 pop.|
Health and Nutrition:
More about Health and Nutrition of Strong City, KS Residents
|Local government employment and payroll (March 2012)|
|Function||Full-time employees||Monthly full-time payroll||Average yearly full-time wage||Part-time employees||Monthly part-time payroll|
|Other Government Administration||1||$2,143||$25,716||6||$61|
|Judicial and Legal||0||$0||2||$75|
|Fire - Other||0||$0||1||$25|
|Streets and Highways||1||$2,710||$32,520||0||$0|
|Other and Unallocable||0||$0||1||$886|
|Totals for Government||4||$9,013||$27,039||10||$1,047|
Strong City government finances - Expenditure in 2002 (per resident):
- Current Operations - General - Other: $158,000 ($342.73)
Water Utilities: $144,000 ($312.36)
Solid Waste Management: $34,000 ($73.75)
Regular Highways: $18,000 ($39.05)
Police Protection: $9,000 ($19.52)
Parks & Recreation: $1,000 ($2.17)
- General - Interest on Debt: $18,000 ($39.05)
- Other Capital Outlay - Water Utilities: $11,000 ($23.86)
General - Other: $5,000 ($10.85)
- Total Salaries & Wages: $137,000 ($297.18)
- Water Utilities - Interest on Debt: $9,000 ($19.52)
Strong City government finances - Revenue in 2002 (per resident):
- Charges - Solid Waste Management: $37,000 ($80.26)
All Other: $9,000 ($19.52)
- Miscellaneous - Interest Earnings: $5,000 ($10.85)
General Revenue, NEC: $4,000 ($8.68)
- Revenue - Water Utilities: $160,000 ($347.07)
- State Intergovernmental - Highways: $18,000 ($39.05)
General Support: $15,000 ($32.54)
- Tax - Property: $76,000 ($164.86)
Total General Sales: $28,000 ($60.74)
Public Utilities: $20,000 ($43.38)
NEC: $1,000 ($2.17)
Strong City government finances - Debt in 2002 (per resident):
- Long Term Debt Beginning Outstanding - Water Utilities: $149,000 ($323.21)
- Long Term Debt Beginning Outstanding, NEC: $396,000 ($859.00)
- Long Term Debt Outstanding - Full Faith & Credit - Other, NEC: $76,000 ($164.86)
- Long Term Debt Outstanding Nonguaranteed - Other, NEC: $271,000 ($587.85)
Water Utilities: $147,000 ($318.87)
- Long Term Debt Retired Unspecified - Other, NEC: $49,000 ($106.29)
Water Utilities: $2,000 ($4.34)
Strong City government finances - Cash and Securities in 2002 (per resident):
- Other Funds - Cash & Deposits: $102,000 ($221.26)
- Sinking Fund - Cash & Deposits: $3,000 ($6.51)
5.59% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($30,625 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Lyon County, KS||1.60% ($24,063 average AGI)|
7.35% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($28,707 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
|to Lyon County, KS||2.35% ($50,125 average AGI)|
Strongest AM radio stations in Strong City:
- WHB (810 AM; 50 kW; KANSAS CITY, MO; Owner: UNION BROADCASTING, INC.)
- KRMG (740 AM; 50 kW; TULSA, OK; Owner: CXR HOLDINGS, INC.)
- KFTI (1070 AM; 10 kW; WICHITA, KS; Owner: JOURNAL BROADCAST CORPORATION)
- WIBW (580 AM; 5 kW; TOPEKA, KS; Owner: MCC RADIO, LLC)
- KVOE (1400 AM; 1 kW; EMPORIA, KS; Owner: EMPORIA RADIO STATIONS, INC.)
- KFAQ (1170 AM; 50 kW; TULSA, OK; Owner: JOURNAL BROADCAST CORPORATION)
- KOIL (1020 AM; 50 kW; PLATTSMOUTH, NE; Owner: WAITT RADIO, INC.)
- KKHK (1250 AM; 25 kW; KANSAS CITY, KS)
- KGGF (690 AM; 10 kW; COFFEYVILLE, KS; Owner: KGGF-KUSN, INC.)
- KRVN (880 AM; 50 kW; LEXINGTON, NE; Owner: NEBRASKA RURAL RADIO ASSOCIATION)
- KFAB (1110 AM; 50 kW; OMAHA, NE; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- KSAL (1150 AM; 5 kW; SALINA, KS; Owner: EBC INC.)
- KKAR (1290 AM; 50 kW; OMAHA, NE; Owner: WAITT RADIO, INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Strong City:
- KRWV (96.1 FM; EMPORIA, KS; Owner: C & C CONSULTING, INC)
- KANS (92.9 FM; OSAGE CITY, KS; Owner: C&C CONSULTING, INC.)
- KNGM (91.9 FM; EMPORIA, KS; Owner: CHRISTIAN ACTION TEAM, INC.)
- KFFX (104.9 FM; EMPORIA, KS; Owner: EMPORIA RADIO STATIONS, INC.)
- KJRL (105.7 FM; HERINGTON, KS; Owner: GREAT PLAINS CHRISTIAN RADIO, INC)
- KPOR (90.7 FM; EMPORIA, KS; Owner: FAMILY STATIONS, INC.)
- KVOE-FM (101.7 FM; EMPORIA, KS; Owner: EMPORIA RADIO STATIONS, INC.)
- K280EK (103.9 FM; EMPORIA, KS; Owner: CALVARY BIBLE COLLEGE)
- K209CB (89.7 FM; EMPORIA, KS; Owner: BIBLE BROADCASTING NETWORK, INC.)
TV broadcast stations around Strong City:
- KETM-CA (Channel 17; EMPORIA, KS; Owner: MONTGOMERY COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
Strong City fatal accident list:
Sep 5, 1980 06:20 PM, Vehicles: 2, Persons: 2, Fatalities: 1
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses:4
- Call Sign: WA0AWT, Licensee ID: L01219017, Grant Date: 11/30/2006, Expiration Date: 02/20/2017, Certifier: Dudley Doolittle Jr, Registrant: Dudley Doolittle Jr, 501 S Cottonwood, Strong City, KS 66869
- Call Sign: KD0WXS, Licensee ID: L01819752, Grant Date: 10/25/2013, Expiration Date: 10/25/2023, Cancellation Date: 08/30/2014, Certifier: C Murl Webster, Registrant: C Murl Webster, 2521 Ks Hwy 177, Strong City, KS 66869
- Call Sign: KE0AKL, Licensee ID: L01863162, Grant Date: 05/02/2014, Expiration Date: 05/02/2024, Certifier: Lalana S Webster, Registrant: Lalana S Webster, 2521 Ks Hwy 177, Strong City, KS 66869
- Call Sign: K0GPJ, Previous Call Sign: KD0WXS, Licensee ID: L01819752, Grant Date: 08/30/2014, Expiration Date: 08/30/2024, Certifier: C Murl Webster, Registrant: C Murl Webster, 2521 Ks Hwy 177, Strong City, KS 66869
Drinking water stations with addresses in Strong City and their reported violations in the past:CHASE CO RWD 1 (Population served: 369, Purch groundwater):
Past health violations:
Past monitoring violations:
- MCL, Monthly (TCR) - In AUG-2008, Contaminant: Coliform. Follow-up actions: St Public Notif requested (SEP-12-2008), St Violation/Reminder Notice (SEP-12-2008), St Compliance achieved (SEP-30-2008), St Public Notif received (OCT-16-2008)
- 2 minor monitoring violations
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 16
|Most common first names in Strong City, KS among deceased individuals|
|Most common last names in Strong City, KS among deceased individuals|
|Last name||Count||Lived (average)|
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Utility gas (89%)
- Electricity (9%)
- Wood (1%)
Businesses in Strong City, KS
- True Value: 1
Strong City compared to Kansas state average:
- Median house value significantly below state average.
- Unemployed percentage significantly below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age significantly above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in above state average.
- House age above state average.
- Number of college students significantly below state average.