Summit, New York
We are giving away $1200 in prizes - enter simply by sending us your own city pictures!
|Median resident age:||46.4 years|
|New York median age:||40.7 years|
Zip codes: 12175.
Estimated per capita income in 2015: $24,832 (it was $16,778 in 2000)
Summit town income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2015: $133,485 (it was $72,600 in 2000)
Mean prices in 2015: All housing units: $177,338; Detached houses: $181,486; Townhouses or other attached units: $424,028; In 2-unit structures: $211,830; In 3-to-4-unit structures: $226,010; In 5-or-more-unit structures: $405,607; Mobile homes: $116,650
Races in Summit, NY (2010)
- 1,08794.7%White alone
- 121.0%Asian alone
- 121.0%Two or more races
- 70.6%Black alone
- 10.09%American Indian alone
|I enjoy the Capital Region but.. (47 replies)|
|Healthcare in the Queensbury/Lake George area (22 replies)|
|Endocrinologist - Hypothyroid (8 replies)|
|looking for thyroid specialist in Albany area (1 reply)|
|Need Vascular surgeon too, help???? (3 replies)|
|Albany area weather question (1 reply)|
Latest news from Summit, NY collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: German (21.3%), Irish (18.2%), Italian (11.9%), United States (9.7%), English (9.6%), Dutch (8.1%).
Current Local Time: EST time zone
Elevation: 2109 feet
Land area: 37.1 square miles.
Population density: 31 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Summit:
- High school or higher: 81.3%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 16.7%
- Graduate or professional degree: 6.4%
- Unemployed: 6.0%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 36.6 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Summit town:
- Never married: 21.6%
- Now married: 58.4%
- Separated: 1.7%
- Widowed: 7.2%
- Divorced: 11.2%
42 residents are foreign born (2.6% Europe, 0.5% Latin America).
According to our research of New York and other state lists there was 1 registered sex offender living in Summit, New York as of April 29, 2017.
The ratio of number of residents in Summit to the number of sex offenders is 1,121 to 1.
The number of registered sex offenders compared to the number of residents in this city is near the state average.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|Summit town:||1.7% ($1,254)|
|New York:||1.9% ($2,847)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Schenectady, NY (37.7 miles , pop. 61,821).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Bronx, NY (125.1 miles , pop. 1,332,650).
Nearest cities: Richmondville, NY (2.1 miles ), Jefferson, NY (2.3 miles ), Worcester, NY (2.5 miles ), Blenheim, NY (2.8 miles ), Decatur, NY (2.9 miles ), Seward, NY (3.1 miles ), Cobleskill, NY (3.1 miles ), Harpersfield, NY (3.2 miles ).
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1997: 4 buildings, average cost: $81,300
- 1998: 2 buildings, average cost: $97,000
- 1999: 2 buildings, average cost: $50,000
- 2000: 8 buildings, average cost: $105,300
- 2001: 2 buildings, average cost: $63,500
- 2002: 7 buildings, average cost: $76,600
- 2003: 1 building, cost: $70,000
- 2004: 9 buildings, average cost: $92,200
- 2005: 9 buildings, average cost: $107,100
- 2006: 11 buildings, average cost: $131,600
- 2007: 7 buildings, average cost: $120,100
- 2008: 4 buildings, average cost: $120,100
- 2009: 1 building, cost: $60,000
- 2010: 1 building, cost: $130,000
- 2011: 1 building, cost: $150,000
- 2012: 3 buildings, average cost: $146,600
Number of permits per 10,000 residents
Average cost (in $1000s)
Latitude: 42.57 N, Longitude: 74.60 W
Area code: 518
Unemployment by year (%)
- Construction (15%)
- Public administration (10%)
- Educational services (8%)
- Motor vehicle and parts dealers (4%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (4%)
- Professional, scientific, and technical services (4%)
- Radio, TV, and computer stores (4%)
- Health care (14%)
- Educational services (9%)
- Public administration (9%)
- Department and other general merchandise stores (8%)
- Printing and related support activities (7%)
- Social assistance (6%)
- Accommodation and food services (6%)
- Driver/sales workers and truck drivers (6%)
- Carpenters (6%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (5%)
- Electrical equipment mechanics and other installation, maintenance, and repair occupations including supervisors (5%)
- Other management occupations except farmers and farm managers (4%)
- Other sales and related workers including supervisors (4%)
- Material recording, scheduling, dispatching, and distributing workers (4%)
- Other office and administrative support workers including supervisors (11%)
- Other sales and related workers including supervisors (6%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (5%)
- Secretaries and administrative assistants (5%)
- Nursing, psychiatric, and home health aides (4%)
- Other management occupations except farmers and farm managers (3%)
- Counselors, social workers, and other community and social service specialists (3%)
Average climate in Summit, New York
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Summit-area historical tornado activity is near New York state average. It is 61% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 7/10/1989, a category F4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 18.2 miles away from the Summit town center injured 20 people and caused between $5,000,000 and $50,000,000 in damages.
On 5/31/1998, a category F3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 16.8 miles away from the town center injured 3 people and caused $800,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Summit-area historical earthquake activity is near New York state average. It is 88% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 10/7/1983 at 10:18:46, a magnitude 5.3 (5.1 MB, 5.3 LG, 5.1 ML, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 96.4 miles away from the city center
On 4/20/2002 at 10:50:47, a magnitude 5.2 (5.2 MB, 4.2 MS, 5.2 MW, 5.0 MW, Depth: 6.8 mi) earthquake occurred 139.6 miles away from Summit center
On 6/17/1991 at 08:53:16, a magnitude 4.1 (4.0 MB, 4.0 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 5.6 miles away from the city center
On 1/19/1982 at 00:14:42, a magnitude 4.7 (4.5 MB, 4.7 MD, 4.5 LG) earthquake occurred 164.7 miles away from the city center
On 1/16/1994 at 01:49:16, a magnitude 4.6 (4.6 MB, 4.6 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 172.0 miles away from Summit center
On 9/25/1998 at 19:52:52, a magnitude 5.2 (4.8 MB, 4.3 MS, 5.2 LG, 4.5 MW, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 306.9 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), duration magnitude (MD), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Schoharie County (24) is a lot greater than the US average (13).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 14
Emergencies Declared: 10
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 8, Storms: 8, Hurricanes: 5, Snowstorms: 2, Tropical Storms: 2, Winter Storms: 2, Blizzard: 1, Power Outage: 1, Tropical Depression: 1, Other: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Summit:
- SUNY College of Agriculture and Technology at Cobleskill (about 8 miles; Cobleskill, NY; Full-time enrollment: 2,455)
- SUNY Oneonta (about 25 miles; Oneonta, NY; FT enrollment: 6,081)
- SUNY College of Technology at Delhi (about 27 miles; Delhi, NY; FT enrollment: 2,911)
- Fulton-Montgomery Community College (about 33 miles; Johnstown, NY; FT enrollment: 2,043)
- Schenectady County Community College (about 38 miles; Schenectady, NY; FT enrollment: 3,676)
- Herkimer County Community College (about 38 miles; Herkimer, NY; FT enrollment: 2,774)
- Union College (about 39 miles; Schenectady, NY; FT enrollment: 2,075)
Notable location: Summit Town Hall (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Churches in Summit include: Summit United Methodist Church (A), Saint Anna's Catholic Church (B). Display/hide their locations on the map
Cemeteries: Snooks Cemetery (1), Baptist Church Cemetery (2), Charlotteville Cemetery (3), Lutheranville Cemetery (4), Methodist Church Cemetery (5), Fox Cemetery (6), Dugway Cemetery (7). Display/hide their locations on the map
Lakes and reservoirs: Mud Lake (A), Rossman Pond (B), Summit Lake (C), Baldwin Pond (D), Fly Pond (E), Bear Gulch Pond (F). Display/hide their locations on the map
Creek: Clapper Hollow Creek (A). Display/hide its location on the map
|This town:||2.3 people|
|New York:||2.6 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.0% of all households
- Gay men: 0.2% of all households
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
|New York average:||14.2|
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Summit town (based on Schoharie County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Schoharie County:||0.63 / 10,000 pop.|
|New York:||4.13 / 10,000 pop.|
|This county:||0.31 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||0.06 / 10,000 pop.|
|Schoharie County:||0.31 / 10,000 pop.|
|New York:||0.92 / 10,000 pop.|
|Schoharie County:||5.95 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||1.68 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||7.83 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||8.82 / 10,000 pop.|
4.75% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($38,854 average adjusted gross income)
|New York average:||5.06%|
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Albany County, NY||0.68% ($39,741 average AGI)|
|from Schenectady County, NY||0.68% ($38,463)|
|from Montgomery County, NY||0.36% ($33,047)|
4.94% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($31,604 average adjusted gross income)
|New York average:||5.46%|
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Summit:
- WGY (810 AM; 50 kW; SCHENECTADY, NY; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WPTR (1540 AM; 50 kW; ALBANY, NY; Owner: KIMTRON, INC.)
- WNNZ (640 AM; 50 kW; WESTFIELD, MA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WXBH (1190 AM; 1 kW; COBLESKILL, NY; Owner: NY COMMUNICATIONS, LLC)
- WMCA (570 AM; 50 kW; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: SALEM MEDIA OF NEW YORK, LLC)
- WROW (590 AM; 5 kW; ALBANY, NY; Owner: 6 JOHNSON ROAD LICENSES, INC.)
- WFAN (660 AM; 50 kW; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WABC (770 AM; 50 kW; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: WABC-AM RADIO, INC.)
- WOR (710 AM; 50 kW; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: BUCKLEY BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WTIC (1080 AM; 50 kW; HARTFORD, CT; Owner: INFINITY RADIO OPERATIONS INC.)
- WCBS (880 AM; 50 kW; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WINS (1010 AM; 50 kW; NEW YORK, NY; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WWJZ (640 AM; 50 kW; MOUNT HOLLY, NJ; Owner: ABC, INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Summit:
- WGKR (105.3 FM; GRAND GORGE, NY; Owner: SOUND OF LIFE, INC.)
- WJIV (101.9 FM; CHERRY VALLEY, NY; Owner: CHRISTIAN BROADCASTING SYSTEM, LTD.)
- WMYY (97.3 FM; SCHOHARIE, NY; Owner: CAPITAL MEDIA CORPORATION)
- WDHI (100.3 FM; DELHI, NY; Owner: BANJO COMMUNICATIONS GROUP, INC.)
- WRIP (97.9 FM; WINDHAM, NY; Owner: RIP RADIO, LLC)
- WAJZ (96.3 FM; VOORHEESVILLE, NY; Owner: 6 JOHNSON ROAD LICENSES, INC.)
- WZMR (104.9 FM; ALTAMONT, NY; Owner: 6 JOHNSON ROAD LICENSES, INC.)
- WYJB (95.5 FM; ALBANY, NY; Owner: 6 JOHNSON ROAD LICENSES, INC.)
- WAMK (90.9 FM; KINGSTON, NY; Owner: W A M C)
- WGNA-FM (107.7 FM; ALBANY, NY; Owner: REGENT LICENSEE OF MANSFIELD, INC.)
- WFGB (89.7 FM; KINGSTON, NY; Owner: SOUND OF LIFE, INC.)
- WBUG-FM (101.1 FM; FORT PLAIN, NY; Owner: ROSER COMMUNICATIONS NETWORK, INC.)
- WMHT-FM (89.1 FM; SCHENECTADY, NY; Owner: WMHT EDUCATIONAL TELECOMMUNICATIONS)
- WRVE (99.5 FM; SCHENECTADY, NY; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WPYX (106.5 FM; ALBANY, NY; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WVCR-FM (88.3 FM; LOUDONVILLE, NY; Owner: SIENA COLLEGE)
- WFLY (92.3 FM; TROY, NY; Owner: 6 JOHNSON ROAD LICENSES, INC.)
- WSQC-FM (91.7 FM; ONEONTA, NY; Owner: WSKG PUBLIC TELECOMM. COUNCIL)
- WSRK (103.9 FM; ONEONTA, NY; Owner: ULTIMATE B/CASTING NETWORK, INC.)
- WPGL (90.7 FM; PATTERSONVILLE, NY; Owner: SOUND OF LIFE, INC.)
TV broadcast stations around Summit:
- WKTV (Channel 2; UTICA, NY; Owner: SMITH TELEVISION OF NEW YORK LICENSE HOLDINGS, INC.)
- WYPX (Channel 55; AMSTERDAM, NY; Owner: PAXSON ALBANY LICENSE, INC.)
- WNYT (Channel 13; ALBANY, NY; Owner: WNYT-TV, LLC)
- WEWB-TV (Channel 45; SCHENECTADY, NY; Owner: WEWB, L.L.C.)
Summit fatal accident list:
Jul 20, 2006 06:01 PM, Meade Rd, Lat: 42.53990, Lon: -74.65896, Vehicles: 1, Persons: 1, Fatalities: 1
May 10, 2003 05:00 PM, Sr-10, Vehicles: 2, Persons: 2, Fatalities: 1, Drunken persons involved: 1
Sep 27, 1997 00:50 AM, 23, Vehicles: 1, Persons: 1, Fatalities: 1
- National Bridge Inventory (NBI) Statistics
- 4Number of bridges
- 4m13ftTotal length
- $846,000Total costs
- 741Total average daily traffic
- 37Total average daily truck traffic
- 892Total future (year 2026) average daily traffic
FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers:3
- Summit Town Barn Int Of Rts 6 & 10 (Lat: 42.578417 Lon: -74.594028), Call Sign: WNVE642
Assigned Frequencies: 170.275 MHzGrant Date: 12/13/2010, Expiration Date: 01/14/2021Registrant: Nys Div. Of Homeland Security And Emergency Services, 1220 Washington Ave, Bldg. 7a, Ste 710, State Office Campus, Albany, NY 12242, Phone: (518) 322-4912, Fax: (518) 322-4975, Email:
- Summit Scock Incarceration Correctional Facility (Lat: 42.631194 Lon: -74.449306), Type: Bant, Structure height: 15 m, Overall height: 18 m, Call Sign: WPXG699, Licensee ID: L00002981
Assigned Frequencies: 453.400 MHzGrant Date: 04/01/2003, Expiration Date: 10/01/2003, Cancellation Date: 12/07/2003, Certifier: Christopher J SingletonRegistrant: New York State Department Of Correctional Services, 1134 New Scotland Road, Albany, NY 12208, Phone: (518) 489-9072, Fax: (518) 489-9072
- Summit Shock Incarceration Facility (Lat: 42.562806 Lon: -74.536889), Type: Tank, Structure height: 34 m, Call Sign: WQAU497
Assigned Frequencies: 453.400 MHz, 458.400 MHzGrant Date: 07/09/2014, Expiration Date: 08/09/2024, Certifier: Christopher J SingletonRegistrant: New State Department Of Corrections And Community Supervision, 1134 New Scotland Road, Albany, NY 12208, Phone: (518) 489-9072, Email:
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses:13 (See the full list of FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses in Summit)
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 6
- Hazardous Condition: 1
|Most common first names in Summit, NY among deceased individuals|
|Most common last names in Summit, NY among deceased individuals|
|Last name||Count||Lived (average)|
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (62%)
- Wood (17%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (9%)
- Electricity (9%)
- Coal or coke (1%)
- Other fuel (1%)
Summit compared to New York state average:
- Median house value below state average.
- Unemployed percentage below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Renting percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
- Number of college students below state average.
Total of 1 patent application in 2008-2017.