|Median resident age:||48.4 years|
|Iowa median age:||44.4 years|
Zip codes: 50590.
Swea City city income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2012: $41,587 (it was $30,500 in 2000)
Median gross rent in 2012: $388.
- White alone - 528 (98.5%)
- Black alone - 4 (0.7%)
- Hispanic - 3 (0.6%)
- Two or more races - 1 (0.2%)
Latest news from Swea City, IA collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: German (32.8%), English (9.2%), Irish (7.7%), Norwegian (5.6%), Swedish (5.4%), French (4.4%).
Current Local Time: CST time zone
Incorporated on 05/7/1895
Elevation: 1181 feet
Land area: 0.74 square miles.
Population density: 721 people per square mile(low).
For population 25 years and over in Swea City:
- High school or higher: 93.5%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 14.1%
- Graduate or professional degree: 5.2%
- Unemployed: 4.2%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 20.9 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Swea City city:
- Never married: 22.9%
- Now married: 52.2%
- Separated: 2.6%
- Widowed: 6.9%
- Divorced: 15.3%
16 residents are foreign born
According to our research of Iowa and other state lists there was 1 registered sex offender living in Swea City, Iowa as of May 23, 2015.
The ratio of number of residents in Swea City to the number of sex offenders is 533 to 1.
The number of registered sex offenders compared to the number of residents in this city is near the state average.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with mortgages in 2012: $594 (1.3%)
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with no mortgage in 2012: $391 (1.3%)
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Ames, IA (99.9 miles , pop. 50,731).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Minneapolis, MN (120.9 miles , pop. 382,618).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Chicago, IL (353.8 miles , pop. 2,896,016).
Nearest cities: Bancroft, IA (2.8 miles ), Ledyard, IA (2.8 miles) , Armstrong, IA (2.9 miles ), Lakota, IA (3.3 miles ), Lone Rock, IA (3.4 miles) , Ringsted, IA (3.4 miles ), Fenton, IA (3.6 miles ), Burt, IA (3.7 miles ).
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 2002: 1 building, cost: $100,000
- 2007: 1 building, cost: $120,000
Number of permits per 10,000 residents
Average cost (in $1000s)
Latitude: 43.38 N, Longitude: 94.31 W
Area code: 515
Unemployment by year (%)
- Manufacturing (32%)
- Other services, except public administration (21%)
- Construction (15%)
- Educational services (8%)
- Retail trade (6%)
- Accommodation and food services (4%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (3%)
- Health care and social assistance (49%)
- Retail trade (13%)
- Manufacturing (12%)
- Transportation and warehousing (7%)
- Educational services (6%)
- Accommodation and food services (3%)
- Other services, except public administration (3%)
- Metal workers and plastic workers (12%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (7%)
- Farmers and farm managers (6%)
- Vehicle and mobile equipment mechanics, installers, and repairers (6%)
- Driver/sales workers and truck drivers (6%)
- Operations specialties managers except financial managers (5%)
- Other management occupations except farmers and farm managers (5%)
- Other sales and related workers including supervisors (7%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (6%)
- Cashiers (6%)
- Bookkeeping, accounting, and auditing clerks (6%)
- Secretaries and administrative assistants (6%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (6%)
- Preschool, kindergarten, elementary and middle school teachers (5%)
Average climate in Swea City, Iowa
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Swea City-area historical tornado activity is near Iowa state average. It is 71% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 8/29/1964, a category F4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 21.9 miles away from the Swea City city center injured 2 people and caused between $50,000 and $500,000 in damages.
On 6/28/1979, a category F3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 9.7 miles away from the city center killed 2 people and injured 34 people and caused between $5,000,000 and $50,000,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Swea City-area historical earthquake activity is near Iowa state average. It is 81% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 7/9/1975 at 14:54:15, a magnitude 4.6 (4.6 MB, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 179.7 miles away from the city center
On 3/4/1983 at 06:32:18, a magnitude 4.6 (4.4 MB, 4.6 LG, 4.4 ML) earthquake occurred 260.9 miles away from Swea City center
On 6/5/1993 at 01:24:53, a magnitude 4.1 (4.1 LG, Depth: 6.2 mi) earthquake occurred 186.2 miles away from the city center
On 11/3/2002 at 20:41:56, a magnitude 4.3 (4.3 MB, 4.3 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 235.6 miles away from the city center
On 10/25/1990 at 06:25:25, a magnitude 3.9 (3.6 MB, 3.9 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: II - III) earthquake occurred 210.4 miles away from Swea City center
On 2/6/1996 at 15:10:28, a magnitude 3.6 (3.6 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 174.4 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), local magnitude (ML)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Kossuth County (13) is near the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 11
Emergencies Declared: 2
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 9, Storms: 7, Tornadoes: 6, Hurricane: 1, Ice Storm: 1, Snow: 1, Wind: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Swea City:
- Iowa Lakes Community College (about 27 miles; Estherville, IA; Full-time enrollment: 2,311)
- Minnesota State University-Mankato (about 56 miles; Mankato, MN; FT enrollment: 13,940)
- South Central College (about 57 miles; North Mankato, MN; FT enrollment: 2,726)
- North Iowa Area Community College (about 62 miles; Mason City, IA; FT enrollment: 2,235)
- Iowa Central Community College (about 63 miles; Fort Dodge, IA; FT enrollment: 4,682)
- Gustavus Adolphus College (about 68 miles; Saint Peter, MN; FT enrollment: 2,496)
- Buena Vista University (about 69 miles; Storm Lake, IA; FT enrollment: 2,522)
Public high school in Swea City:
- North Kossuth Senior High School (Students: 122; Location: 203 5th St North; Grades: 9-12)
Public elementary/middle school in Swea City:
- North Kossuth Middle School (Students: 52; Location: 203 Fifth St. N.; Grades: 7-8)
Notable locations in Swea City: Swea City (A), Farmers Co-op Elevator (B), Swea City Ambulance (C), Swea City City Hall (D), Swea City Volunteer Fire Department (E), Swea City Police Department (F), Swea City Public Library (G). Display/hide their locations on the map
Churches in Swea City include: United Methodist Church (A), First Baptist Church (B), Immanuel Lutheran Church (C), Our Saviour Lutheran Church (D), Open Bible Church (E). Display/hide their locations on the map
(12.8% for White Non-Hispanic residents, 0.0% for Black residents, 0.0% for Hispanic or Latino residents)
|This city:||2.1 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.0% of all households
- Gay men: 0.4% of all households
Swea City compared to Iowa state average:
- Median house value significantly below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage below state average.
- Renting percentage below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in above state average.
- House age above state average.
Banks with branches in Swea City (2011 data):
- Bank Plus: Swea City Branch at 322 3rd Street, branch established on 1997/01/15. Info updated 2006/11/03: Bank assets: $82.0 mil, Deposits: $63.4 mil, headquarters in Estherville, IA, positive income, Agricultural Specialization, 4 total offices, Holding Company: Swea City Bancorporation, Inc.
Educational Attainment (%) in 2012
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2012
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Utility gas (47%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (23%)
- Electricity (19%)
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (8%)
- No fuel used (2%)
- Wood (1%)
Presidential Elections Results
1996 Presidential Elections Results
2000 Presidential Elections Results
2004 Presidential Elections Results
2008 Presidential Elections Results
2012 Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Swea City city (based on Kossuth County data)Percentage of population affiliated with a religious congregations: 82.31%
Breakdown of population affiliated with a religious congregations
|Name||Catholic Church||Lutheran Church||United Methodist Church||Evangelical Lutheran Church in America||Presbyterian Church (USA)|
|Name||Presbyterian Church in America||Reformed Church in America||United Church of Christ||Baptist General Conference||Other|
Tables represent county-level data.
Food Environment Statistics:
|Kossuth County:||5.13 / 10,000 pop.|
|Iowa:||2.14 / 10,000 pop.|
|Kossuth County:||0.64 / 10,000 pop.|
|Iowa:||0.43 / 10,000 pop.|
|Kossuth County:||8.34 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||5.55 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||12.19 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||8.01 / 10,000 pop.|
|Local government employment and payroll (March 2012)|
|Function||Full-time employees||Monthly full-time payroll||Average yearly full-time wage||Part-time employees||Monthly part-time payroll|
|Other Government Administration||1||$4,763||$57,156||0||$0|
|Police Protection - Officers||1||$5,815||$69,780||0||$0|
|Police - Other||0||$0||2||$470|
|Streets and Highways||1||$7,358||$88,296||0||$0|
|Solid Waste Management||0||$0||8||$1,585|
|Totals for Government||3||$17,936||$71,744||18||$5,742|
Swea City government finances - Expenditure in 2002 (per resident):
- Current Operations - Regular Highways: $80,000 ($150.66)
Water Utilities: $68,000 ($128.06)
Parks & Recreation: $49,000 ($92.28)
Police Protection: $43,000 ($80.98)
Sewerage: $33,000 ($62.15)
Solid Waste Management: $28,000 ($52.73)
General - Other: $22,000 ($41.43)
Libraries: $21,000 ($39.55)
Fire Protection: $21,000 ($39.55)
Health Services - Other: $18,000 ($33.90)
Judicial and Legal Services: $16,000 ($30.13)
Financial Administration: $14,000 ($26.37)
Central Staff Services: $4,000 ($7.53)
- General - Interest on Debt: $9,000 ($16.95)
- Other Capital Outlay - Regular Highways: $105,000 ($197.74)
Central Staff: $36,000 ($67.80)
- Total Salaries & Wages: $132,000 ($248.59)
Swea City government finances - Revenue in 2002 (per resident):
- Charges - Sewerage: $41,000 ($77.21)
All Other: $38,000 ($71.56)
Solid Waste Management: $31,000 ($58.38)
Parks & Recreation: $12,000 ($22.60)
- Local Intergovernmental - All Other: $32,000 ($60.26)
Health & Hospitals: $2,000 ($3.77)
- Miscellaneous - General Revenue, NEC: $28,000 ($52.73)
Interest Earnings: $10,000 ($18.83)
Rents: $2,000 ($3.77)
- Revenue - Water Utilities: $62,000 ($116.76)
- State Intergovernmental - Highways: $51,000 ($96.05)
General Support: $14,000 ($26.37)
All Other: $4,000 ($7.53)
- Tax - Property: $135,000 ($254.24)
Total General Sales: $48,000 ($90.40)
NEC: $1,000 ($1.88)
Swea City government finances - Debt in 2002 (per resident):
- Long Term Debt Beginning Outstanding, NEC: $153,000 ($288.14)
- Long Term Debt Issue, Unspecified - Other NEC: $95,000 ($178.91)
- Long Term Debt Outstanding - Full Faith & Credit - Other, NEC: $169,000 ($318.27)
- Long Term Debt Outstanding Nonguaranteed - Other, NEC: $47,000 ($88.51)
- Long Term Debt Retired Unspecified - Other, NEC: $32,000 ($60.26)
Swea City government finances - Cash and Securities in 2002 (per resident):
- Other Funds - Cash & Deposits: $388,000 ($730.70)
3.83% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($34,606 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Palo Alto County, IA||0.30% ($48,474 average AGI)|
|from Hancock County, IA||0.21% ($25,615)|
|from Polk County, IA||0.21% ($30,000)|
4.67% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($36,557 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Swea City:
- KLGA (1600 AM; 5 kW; ALGONA, IA; Owner: WMMP, LLC)
- KFAN (1130 AM; 50 kW; MINNEAPOLIS, MN; Owner: AMFM RADIO LICENSES, L.L.C.)
- WCCO (830 AM; 50 kW; MINNEAPOLIS, MN; Owner: INFINITY MEDIA CORPORATION)
- KKOJ (1190 AM; 5 kW; JACKSON, MN; Owner: KLEVEN BROADCASTING CO. OF MINN.)
- WCTS (1030 AM; 50 kW; MAPLEWOOD, MN; Owner: CNTL. BAPT. THEO/AL SEMI MINNEAPOLIS)
- WHO (1040 AM; 50 kW; DES MOINES, IA; Owner: CITICASTERS LICENSES, L.P.)
- KWMT (540 AM; 5 kW; FORT DODGE, IA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- KSUM (1370 AM; 1 kW; FAIRMONT, MN; Owner: WOODWARD BROADCASTING, INC.)
- KSTP (1500 AM; 50 kW; ST. PAUL, MN; Owner: KSTP-AM, LLC (DELAWARE))
- KXEL (1540 AM; 50 kW; WATERLOO, IA; Owner: KXEL BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- KTIS (900 AM; 25 kW; MINNEAPOLIS, MN; Owner: NORTHWESTERN COLLEGE)
- KOIL (1020 AM; 50 kW; PLATTSMOUTH, NE; Owner: WAITT RADIO, INC.)
- KBEW (1560 AM; daytime; 1 kW; BLUE EARTH, MN)
Strongest FM radio stations in Swea City:
- KTPR (91.1 FM; FORT DODGE, IA; Owner: IOWA STATE UNIVERSITY OF SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY)
- KJLY (104.5 FM; BLUE EARTH, MN; Owner: MINN-IOWA CHRISTIAN BROADCASTING,INC)
- KFMC-FM (106.5 FM; FAIRMONT, MN; Owner: WOODWARD BROADCASTING, INC.)
- KLGA-FM (92.7 FM; ALGONA, IA; Owner: WMMP, LLC)
- KBEW-FM (98.1 FM; BLUE EARTH, MN; Owner: KBEW, INC.)
TV broadcast stations around Swea City:
- KTIN (Channel 21; FORT DODGE, IA; Owner: IOWA PUBLIC BROADCASTING BOARD)
- KEYC-TV (Channel 12; MANKATO, MN; Owner: UNITED COMMUNICATIONS CORPORATION)
- K60FY (Channel 60; FROST, MN; Owner: BLUE EARTH - NICOLLET - FARIBAULT COOP. ELEC. ASSOC.)
- K14KD (Channel 14; FROST, MN; Owner: SOUTH CENTRAL ELECTRIC ASSOCIATION)
- K27FI (Channel 27; FROST, MN; Owner: SOUTH CENTRAL ELECTRIC ASSN.)
- K31EF (Channel 31; FROST, MN; Owner: SOUTH CENTRAL ELECTRIC ASSN.)
- K36FI (Channel 36; FROST, MN; Owner: SOUTH CENTRAL ELECTRIC ASSOCIATION)
- K58FC (Channel 58; FROST, MN; Owner: BLUE EARTH - NICOLLET - FARIBAULT COOP. ELEC. ASSOC.)
- K62FH (Channel 62; FROST, MN; Owner: BLUE EARTH - NICOLLET - FARIBAULT COOP. ELEC. ASSOC.)
- K65FW (Channel 65; FROST, MN; Owner: SOUTH CENTRAL ELECTRIC ASSN.)
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses:1
- Call Sign: KC0PMK, Licensee ID: L00660039
Grant Date: 03/25/2003, Expiration Date: 03/25/2013, Certifier: Keith C Hinrichsen
Registrant: Keith C Hinrichsen, Swea City, IA 50590
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 6
|Most common first names in Swea City, IA among deceased individuals|
|Most common last names in Swea City, IA among deceased individuals|
|Last name||Count||Lived (average)|
Swea City on our top lists:
- #9 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of males working in industry: Nonmetallic mineral products"
- #54 on the list of "Top 101 cities with the largest temperature differences during a year"
- #72 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of females in occupations: Architecture and engineering occupations:"
- #91 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of females working in industry: Building material and garden equipment and supplies dealers"
- #96 (50590) on the list of "Top 101 zip codes with the largest percentage of taxpayers using paid preparers for 2004 taxes (pop 1,000+)"