Swea City, Iowa
We are giving away $1200 in prizes - enter simply by sending us your own city pictures!
|Median resident age:||46.1 years|
|Iowa median age:||38.1 years|
Zip codes: 50590.
Estimated per capita income in 2015: $21,300 (it was $14,937 in 2000)
Swea City city income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2015: $40,135 (it was $30,500 in 2000)
Mean prices in 2015: All housing units: $131,346; Detached houses: $132,388; Townhouses or other attached units: $160,730; In 3-to-4-unit structures: $113,201; In 5-or-more-unit structures: $135,271; Mobile homes: $38,394
Median gross rent in 2015: $698.
Races in Swea City, IA (2010)
- 52898.5%White alone
- 40.7%Black alone
- 10.2%Two or more races
Latest news from Swea City, IA collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: German (44.6%), Norwegian (8.3%), Irish (4.7%), American (3.6%), European (3.6%), Swedish (3.6%).
Current Local Time: CST time zone
Incorporated on 05/7/1895
Elevation: 1181 feet
Land area: 0.74 square miles.
Population density: 714 people per square mile(low).
For population 25 years and over in Swea City:
- High school or higher: 88.8%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 16.7%
- Graduate or professional degree: 4.0%
- Unemployed: 4.2%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 16.9 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Swea City city:
- Never married: 23.7%
- Now married: 55.3%
- Separated: 1.4%
- Widowed: 8.8%
- Divorced: 10.7%
18 residents are foreign born (3.4% Latin America).
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with mortgages in 2015: $626 (1.4%)
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with no mortgage in 2015: $515 (1.6%)
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Ames, IA (99.9 miles , pop. 50,731).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Minneapolis, MN (120.9 miles , pop. 382,618).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Chicago, IL (353.8 miles , pop. 2,896,016).
Nearest cities: Bancroft, IA (2.8 miles ), Ledyard, IA (2.8 miles) , Armstrong, IA (2.9 miles ), Lakota, IA (3.3 miles ), Lone Rock, IA (3.4 miles) , Ringsted, IA (3.4 miles ), Fenton, IA (3.6 miles ), Burt, IA (3.7 miles ).
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 2002: 1 building, cost: $100,000
- 2007: 1 building, cost: $120,000
Number of permits per 10,000 residents
Average cost (in $1000s)
Latitude: 43.38 N, Longitude: 94.31 W
Area code: 515
Unemployment by year (%)
- Manufacturing (33%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (13%)
- Construction (12%)
- Educational services (9%)
- Wholesale trade (7%)
- Finance and insurance (6%)
- Accommodation and food services (6%)
- Health care and social assistance (36%)
- Retail trade (24%)
- Educational services (10%)
- Manufacturing (8%)
- Accommodation and food services (5%)
- Transportation and warehousing (3%)
- Finance and insurance (3%)
- Production occupations (21%)
- Transportation occupations (15%)
- Installation, maintenance, and repair occupations (14%)
- Material moving occupations (10%)
- Management occupations (8%)
- Construction and extraction occupations (7%)
- Food preparation and serving related occupations (6%)
- Sales and related occupations (15%)
- Healthcare support occupations (14%)
- Office and administrative support occupations (14%)
- Education, training, and library occupations (10%)
- Personal care and service occupations (10%)
- Health diagnosing and treating practitioners and other technical occupations (9%)
- Management occupations (7%)
Average climate in Swea City, Iowa
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Swea City-area historical tornado activity is near Iowa state average. It is 71% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 8/29/1964, a category F4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 21.9 miles away from the Swea City city center injured 2 people and caused between $50,000 and $500,000 in damages.
On 6/28/1979, a category F3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 9.7 miles away from the city center killed 2 people and injured 34 people and caused between $5,000,000 and $50,000,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Swea City-area historical earthquake activity is near Iowa state average. It is 81% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 7/9/1975 at 14:54:15, a magnitude 4.6 (4.6 MB, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 179.7 miles away from the city center
On 3/4/1983 at 06:32:18, a magnitude 4.6 (4.4 MB, 4.6 LG, 4.4 ML) earthquake occurred 260.9 miles away from Swea City center
On 6/5/1993 at 01:24:53, a magnitude 4.1 (4.1 LG, Depth: 6.2 mi) earthquake occurred 186.2 miles away from the city center
On 11/3/2002 at 20:41:56, a magnitude 4.3 (4.3 MB, 4.3 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 235.6 miles away from the city center
On 10/25/1990 at 06:25:25, a magnitude 3.9 (3.6 MB, 3.9 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: II - III) earthquake occurred 210.4 miles away from Swea City center
On 2/6/1996 at 15:10:28, a magnitude 3.6 (3.6 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 174.4 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), local magnitude (ML)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Kossuth County (14) is near the US average (13).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 12
Emergencies Declared: 2
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 10, Storms: 8, Tornadoes: 7, Winds: 2, Hurricane: 1, Ice Storm: 1, Snow: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Swea City:
- Iowa Lakes Community College (about 27 miles; Estherville, IA; Full-time enrollment: 2,311)
- Minnesota State University-Mankato (about 56 miles; Mankato, MN; FT enrollment: 13,940)
- South Central College (about 57 miles; North Mankato, MN; FT enrollment: 2,726)
- North Iowa Area Community College (about 62 miles; Mason City, IA; FT enrollment: 2,235)
- Iowa Central Community College (about 63 miles; Fort Dodge, IA; FT enrollment: 4,682)
- Gustavus Adolphus College (about 68 miles; Saint Peter, MN; FT enrollment: 2,496)
- Buena Vista University (about 69 miles; Storm Lake, IA; FT enrollment: 2,522)
Public elementary/middle schools in Swea City:
- NORTH KOSSUTH ELEMENTARY SCHOOL (Students: 153, Location: 203 5TH STREET NORTH, Grades: PK-5)
- NORTH UNION MIDDLE SCHOOL (Location: 203 5TH ST NORTH, Grades: 6-8)
Notable locations in Swea City: Swea City (A), Farmers Co-op Elevator (B), Swea City Ambulance (C), Swea City City Hall (D), Swea City Volunteer Fire Department (E), Swea City Police Department (F), Swea City Public Library (G). Display/hide their locations on the map
Churches in Swea City include: United Methodist Church (A), First Baptist Church (B), Immanuel Lutheran Church (C), Our Saviour Lutheran Church (D), Open Bible Church (E). Display/hide their locations on the map
(14.9% for White Non-Hispanic residents, 33.3% for Hispanic or Latino residents, 100.0% for American Indian residents, 81.8% for other race residents, 91.5% for two or more races residents)
|This city:||2.1 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.0% of all households
- Gay men: 0.4% of all households
Banks with branches in Swea City (2011 data):
- Bank Plus: Swea City Branch at 322 3rd Street, branch established on 1997/01/15. Info updated 2006/11/03: Bank assets: $82.0 mil, Deposits: $63.4 mil, headquarters in Estherville, IA, positive income, Agricultural Specialization, 4 total offices, Holding Company: Swea City Bancorporation, Inc.
Educational Attainment (%) in 2015
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2015
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Swea City city (based on Kossuth County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Kossuth County:||5.13 / 10,000 pop.|
|Iowa:||2.14 / 10,000 pop.|
|Kossuth County:||0.64 / 10,000 pop.|
|Iowa:||0.43 / 10,000 pop.|
|Kossuth County:||8.34 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||5.55 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||12.19 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||8.01 / 10,000 pop.|
Health and Nutrition:
More about Health and Nutrition of Swea City, IA Residents
|Local government employment and payroll (March 2012)|
|Function||Full-time employees||Monthly full-time payroll||Average yearly full-time wage||Part-time employees||Monthly part-time payroll|
|Other Government Administration||1||$4,763||$57,156||0||$0|
|Police Protection - Officers||1||$5,815||$69,780||0||$0|
|Police - Other||0||$0||2||$470|
|Streets and Highways||1||$7,358||$88,296||0||$0|
|Solid Waste Management||0||$0||8||$1,585|
|Totals for Government||3||$17,936||$71,744||18||$5,742|
Swea City government finances - Expenditure in 2002 (per resident):
- Current Operations - Regular Highways: $80,000 ($152.09)
Water Utilities: $68,000 ($129.28)
Parks & Recreation: $49,000 ($93.16)
Police Protection: $43,000 ($81.75)
Sewerage: $33,000 ($62.74)
Solid Waste Management: $28,000 ($53.23)
General - Other: $22,000 ($41.83)
Libraries: $21,000 ($39.92)
Fire Protection: $21,000 ($39.92)
Health Services - Other: $18,000 ($34.22)
Judicial and Legal Services: $16,000 ($30.42)
Financial Administration: $14,000 ($26.62)
Central Staff Services: $4,000 ($7.60)
- General - Interest on Debt: $9,000 ($17.11)
- Other Capital Outlay - Regular Highways: $105,000 ($199.62)
Central Staff: $36,000 ($68.44)
- Total Salaries & Wages: $132,000 ($250.95)
Swea City government finances - Revenue in 2002 (per resident):
- Charges - Sewerage: $41,000 ($77.95)
All Other: $38,000 ($72.24)
Solid Waste Management: $31,000 ($58.94)
Parks & Recreation: $12,000 ($22.81)
- Local Intergovernmental - All Other: $32,000 ($60.84)
Health & Hospitals: $2,000 ($3.80)
- Miscellaneous - General Revenue, NEC: $28,000 ($53.23)
Interest Earnings: $10,000 ($19.01)
Rents: $2,000 ($3.80)
- Revenue - Water Utilities: $62,000 ($117.87)
- State Intergovernmental - Highways: $51,000 ($96.96)
General Support: $14,000 ($26.62)
All Other: $4,000 ($7.60)
- Tax - Property: $135,000 ($256.65)
Total General Sales: $48,000 ($91.25)
NEC: $1,000 ($1.90)
Swea City government finances - Debt in 2002 (per resident):
- Long Term Debt Beginning Outstanding, NEC: $153,000 ($290.87)
- Long Term Debt Issue, Unspecified - Other NEC: $95,000 ($180.61)
- Long Term Debt Outstanding - Full Faith & Credit - Other, NEC: $169,000 ($321.29)
- Long Term Debt Outstanding Nonguaranteed - Other, NEC: $47,000 ($89.35)
- Long Term Debt Retired Unspecified - Other, NEC: $32,000 ($60.84)
Swea City government finances - Cash and Securities in 2002 (per resident):
- Other Funds - Cash & Deposits: $388,000 ($737.64)
3.83% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($34,606 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Palo Alto County, IA||0.30% ($48,474 average AGI)|
|from Hancock County, IA||0.21% ($25,615)|
|from Polk County, IA||0.21% ($30,000)|
4.67% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($36,557 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Swea City:
- KLGA (1600 AM; 5 kW; ALGONA, IA; Owner: WMMP, LLC)
- KFAN (1130 AM; 50 kW; MINNEAPOLIS, MN; Owner: AMFM RADIO LICENSES, L.L.C.)
- WCCO (830 AM; 50 kW; MINNEAPOLIS, MN; Owner: INFINITY MEDIA CORPORATION)
- KKOJ (1190 AM; 5 kW; JACKSON, MN; Owner: KLEVEN BROADCASTING CO. OF MINN.)
- WCTS (1030 AM; 50 kW; MAPLEWOOD, MN; Owner: CNTL. BAPT. THEO/AL SEMI MINNEAPOLIS)
- WHO (1040 AM; 50 kW; DES MOINES, IA; Owner: CITICASTERS LICENSES, L.P.)
- KWMT (540 AM; 5 kW; FORT DODGE, IA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- KSUM (1370 AM; 1 kW; FAIRMONT, MN; Owner: WOODWARD BROADCASTING, INC.)
- KSTP (1500 AM; 50 kW; ST. PAUL, MN; Owner: KSTP-AM, LLC (DELAWARE))
- KXEL (1540 AM; 50 kW; WATERLOO, IA; Owner: KXEL BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- KTIS (900 AM; 25 kW; MINNEAPOLIS, MN; Owner: NORTHWESTERN COLLEGE)
- KOIL (1020 AM; 50 kW; PLATTSMOUTH, NE; Owner: WAITT RADIO, INC.)
- KBEW (1560 AM; daytime; 1 kW; BLUE EARTH, MN)
Strongest FM radio stations in Swea City:
- KTPR (91.1 FM; FORT DODGE, IA; Owner: IOWA STATE UNIVERSITY OF SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY)
- KJLY (104.5 FM; BLUE EARTH, MN; Owner: MINN-IOWA CHRISTIAN BROADCASTING,INC)
- KFMC-FM (106.5 FM; FAIRMONT, MN; Owner: WOODWARD BROADCASTING, INC.)
- KLGA-FM (92.7 FM; ALGONA, IA; Owner: WMMP, LLC)
- KBEW-FM (98.1 FM; BLUE EARTH, MN; Owner: KBEW, INC.)
TV broadcast stations around Swea City:
- KTIN (Channel 21; FORT DODGE, IA; Owner: IOWA PUBLIC BROADCASTING BOARD)
- KEYC-TV (Channel 12; MANKATO, MN; Owner: UNITED COMMUNICATIONS CORPORATION)
- K60FY (Channel 60; FROST, MN; Owner: BLUE EARTH - NICOLLET - FARIBAULT COOP. ELEC. ASSOC.)
- K14KD (Channel 14; FROST, MN; Owner: SOUTH CENTRAL ELECTRIC ASSOCIATION)
- K27FI (Channel 27; FROST, MN; Owner: SOUTH CENTRAL ELECTRIC ASSN.)
- K31EF (Channel 31; FROST, MN; Owner: SOUTH CENTRAL ELECTRIC ASSN.)
- K36FI (Channel 36; FROST, MN; Owner: SOUTH CENTRAL ELECTRIC ASSOCIATION)
- K58FC (Channel 58; FROST, MN; Owner: BLUE EARTH - NICOLLET - FARIBAULT COOP. ELEC. ASSOC.)
- K62FH (Channel 62; FROST, MN; Owner: BLUE EARTH - NICOLLET - FARIBAULT COOP. ELEC. ASSOC.)
- K65FW (Channel 65; FROST, MN; Owner: SOUTH CENTRAL ELECTRIC ASSN.)
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses:1
- Call Sign: KC0PMK, Licensee ID: L00660039, Grant Date: 03/25/2003, Expiration Date: 03/25/2013, Cancellation Date: 03/26/2015, Certifier: Keith C Hinrichsen, Registrant: Keith C Hinrichsen, Swea City, IA 50590
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 6
|Most common first names in Swea City, IA among deceased individuals|
|Most common last names in Swea City, IA among deceased individuals|
|Last name||Count||Lived (average)|
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Utility gas (57%)
- Electricity (26%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (14%)
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (2%)
- No fuel used (1%)
Swea City compared to Iowa state average:
- Median household income below state average.
- Median house value significantly below state average.
- Unemployed percentage significantly below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage below state average.
- Renting percentage below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in below state average.
- House age above state average.
Swea City on our top lists:
- #55 on the list of "Top 101 cities with the most residents born in Nicaragua (population 500+)"