|Median resident age:||45.0 years|
|Wyoming median age:||36.2 years|
Zip code: 82520
Sweetwater CCD income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2012: $182,495 (it was $86,900 in 2000)
- White alone - 197 (95.6%)
- American Indian alone - 6 (2.9%)
- Hispanic - 2 (1.0%)
- Two or more races - 1 (0.5%)
Current Local Time: MST time zone
Land area: 1960.3 square miles.
Population density: 0.1 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Sweetwater:
- High school or higher: 79.0%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 1.4%
- Graduate or professional degree: 0.0%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 16.4 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Sweetwater CCD:
- Never married: 9.0%
- Now married: 64.6%
- Separated: 0.0%
- Widowed: 14.6%
- Divorced: 11.8%
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|Sweetwater CCD:||0.7% ($588)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Cheyenne, WY (193.8 miles , pop. 53,011).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: West Adams, CO (247.5 miles , pop. 259,628).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Phoenix, AZ (671.0 miles , pop. 1,321,045).
Nearest cities: Jeffrey City, WY (3.8 miles) , Arapahoe, WY (5.7 miles ), Riverton, WY (5.7 miles ), Hudson, WY (6.0 miles ), Bairoil, WY (6.0 miles) , Shoshoni, WY (6.3 miles ), Atlantic City, WY (6.4 miles) , Lander, WY (6.4 miles ).
Latitude: 42.68 N, Longitude: 107.96 W
Area code commonly used in this area: 307
Unemployment by year (%)
Average climate in Sweetwater, Wyoming
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Earthquake activity:Sweetwater-area historical earthquake activity is near Wyoming state average. It is 111% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 8/18/1959 at 06:37:13, a magnitude 7.7 (7.7 UK, Class: Major, Intensity: VIII - XII) earthquake occurred 188.0 miles away from the city center, causing $26,000,000 total damage
On 10/28/1983 at 14:06:06, a magnitude 7.3 (6.2 MB, 7.3 MS, 7.0 MW) earthquake occurred 309.4 miles away from Sweetwater center, causing 2 deaths (2 shaking deaths) and 3 injuries, causing $15,000,000 total damage
On 6/30/1975 at 18:54:13, a magnitude 6.1 (5.6 MB, 5.9 MS, 6.1 UK, 6.1 ML, Class: Strong, Intensity: VII - IX) earthquake occurred 196.0 miles away from the city center
On 3/28/1975 at 02:31:05, a magnitude 6.2 (6.1 MB, 6.0 MS, 6.2 ML) earthquake occurred 235.5 miles away from the city center
On 2/3/1994 at 09:05:04, a magnitude 5.8 (5.4 MB, 5.5 MS, 5.8 MW, 5.8 ML, Depth: 4.9 mi, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 153.0 miles away from Sweetwater center
On 10/3/1915 at 06:52:48, a magnitude 7.6 (7.6 UK) earthquake occurred 515.8 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: body-wave magnitude (MB), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Fremont County (1) is a lot smaller than the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 1
Causes of natural disasters: Flood: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Sweetwater:
- Casper College (about 84 miles; Casper, WY; Full-time enrollment: 2,770)
- Western Wyoming Community College (about 100 miles; Rock Springs, WY; FT enrollment: 2,086)
- Wyotech-Laramie (about 153 miles; Laramie, WY; FT enrollment: 2,765)
- Sheridan College (about 154 miles; Sheridan, WY; FT enrollment: 2,070)
- University of Wyoming (about 155 miles; Laramie, WY; FT enrollment: 10,810)
- Laramie County Community College (about 197 miles; Cheyenne, WY; FT enrollment: 3,288)
- Colorado State University-Fort Collins (about 208 miles; Fort Collins, CO; FT enrollment: 25,099)
Notable locations in Sweetwater: Long Creek Ranch (A), Love Ranch (B), Lucky Mac Camp (C), Lucky Mac Uranium Mill (D), McIntosh Ranch (E), McKenzie Windmill (F), Murphy Ranch (G), Myers Ranch (H), Ore Ranch (I), Posey Ranch (J), Puddle Springs Ranch (K), Ramsey Homestead (L), Scarlett Ranch (M), Sherlock Homestead (N), Sherlock Shearing Pens (O), Logan Gulch Oil Well Number 2 (P), Logan Gulch Oil Well Number 1 (Q), Slide Windmill (R), Split Rock Ranch (S), Stratton Ranch (T). Display/hide their locations on the map
Lakes, reservoirs, and swamps: Daley Lake (A), The Dry Lakes (B), Boggy Springs Pond (C), Soda Lakes (D), Carmody Lake (E), Campbell Lake (F), Woods Gulch Pond (G), Auer Reservoir (H). Display/hide their locations on the map
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Magpie Creek (A), Long Creek (B), Antelope Creek (C), Alkali Creek (D), Lankin Creek (E), Jost Creek (F), Indian Grove Creek (G), Ice Slough (H), Horseshoe Creek (I). Display/hide their locations on the map
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
|This place:||2.4 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
No gay or lesbian households reported
Residents with income below the poverty level in 2009:
Residents with income below 50% of the poverty level in 2009:
Sweetwater compared to Wyoming state average:
- Median house value below state average.
- Unemployed percentage significantly below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Renting percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
- Number of college students below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher significantly below state average.
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Wood (44%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (37%)
- Electricity (11%)
- Utility gas (8%)
Presidential Elections Results
1996 Presidential Elections Results
2000 Presidential Elections Results
2004 Presidential Elections Results
2008 Presidential Elections Results
2012 Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Sweetwater CCD (based on Fremont County data)Percentage of population affiliated with a religious congregations: 42.07%
Breakdown of population affiliated with a religious congregations
|Name||Catholic Church||LDS (Mormon) Church||Southern Baptist Convention||Lutheran Church||United Methodist Church|
|Name||Episcopal Church||Evangelical Lutheran Church in America||Assemblies of God||Church of the Nazarene||Other|
Tables represent county-level data.
Food Environment Statistics:
|Fremont County:||2.67 / 10,000 pop.|
|Wyoming:||2.10 / 10,000 pop.|
|This county:||0.27 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||0.27 / 10,000 pop.|
|Fremont County:||1.07 / 10,000 pop.|
|Wyoming:||0.65 / 10,000 pop.|
|Fremont County:||3.74 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||5.36 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||9.61 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||10.08 / 10,000 pop.|
6.15% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($41,415 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Natrona County, WY||0.32% ($40,188 average AGI)|
|from Albany County, WY||0.28% ($30,512)|
|from Carbon County, WY||0.18% ($34,889)|
6.09% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($40,172 average adjusted gross income)
0.07% of residents moved to foreign countries ($525 average AGI)
Fremont County: 0.07% Wyoming average: 0.07%
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Sweetwater:
- KTWO (1030 AM; 50 kW; CASPER, WY; Owner: CITICASTERS LICENSES, L.P.)
- KUYO (830 AM; daytime; 25 kW; EVANSVILLE, WY; Owner: WYOMING CHRISTIAN BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- KOVE (1330 AM; 5 kW; LANDER, WY; Owner: FREMONT BROADCASTING, INC.)
- KALL (700 AM; 50 kW; NORTH SALT LAKE CITY, UT; Owner: CITICASTERS LICENSES, L.P.)
- KLTT (670 AM; 50 kW; COMMERCE CITY, CO; Owner: KLZ RADIO, INC.)
- KKZN (760 AM; 50 kW; THORNTON, CO; Owner: JACOR BROADCASTING OF COLORADO, INC.)
- KIQN (1010 AM; 50 kW; TOOELE, UT)
- KOA (850 AM; 50 kW; DENVER, CO; Owner: JACOR BROADCASTING OF COLORADO, INC.)
- KVOW (1450 AM; 1 kW; RIVERTON, WY; Owner: EDWARDS COMMUNICATIONS, LC)
- KSL (1160 AM; 50 kW; SALT LAKE CITY, UT; Owner: BONNEVILLE HOLDING COMPANY)
- KIMB (1260 AM; 50 kW; KIMBALL, NE; Owner: G & L INVESTMENTS, LLC)
- KNZZ (1100 AM; 50 kW; GRAND JUNCTION, CO; Owner: M B C GRAND BROADCASTING, INC.)
- KMXA (1090 AM; 50 kW; AURORA, CO; Owner: ENTRAVISION HOLDINGS, LLC)
Strongest FM radio stations in Sweetwater:
- KTAK (93.9 FM; RIVERTON, WY; Owner: EDWARDS COMMUNICATIONS, LC)
- KTRZ (93.1 FM; RIVERTON, WY; Owner: JIMMY RAY CARROLL)
- KCWC-FM (88.1 FM; RIVERTON, WY; Owner: CENTRAL WYOMING COLLEGE)
- KWYW (99.1 FM; LOST CABIN, WY; Owner: JIMMY RAY CARROLL)
- K276DV (103.1 FM; EDEN, WY; Owner: WESTERN INSPIRATIONAL BROADCASTERS)
- KDNO (101.7 FM; THERMOPOLIS, WY; Owner: CARJIM, LLC)
- KWRR (89.5 FM; ETHETE, WY; Owner: BUSINESS COUNCIL OF THE NORTHERN ARAPAHO TRIBE)
FCC Registered Microwave Towers:1
- STATION, Exxon Tower 27 Mi Ene Of Kemmerer (Lat: 41.881611 Lon: -110.047917), Overall height: 19.2 m, Call Sign: WNEM321
Assigned Frequencies: 1935.00 MHz
Grant Date: 10/31/2000, Expiration Date: 01/17/2011, Cancellation Date: 01/27/2003
Registrant: Phone: (713) 656-1827
Sweetwater on our top lists:
- #53 on the list of "Top 100 cities with largest land areas"