Submit your own pictures of this town and show them to the world
Population change since 2000: +1.5%
|Median resident age:||34.3 years|
|Wisconsin median age:||42.6 years|
Zip codes: 53581.
Estimated per capita income in 2017: $21,895 (it was $14,287 in 2000)
Sylvan town income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2017: $149,911 (it was $85,500 in 2000)
Mean prices in 2017: all housing units: $175,678; detached houses: $184,885; townhouses or other attached units: $402,033; in 2-unit structures: $173,746; in 5-or-more-unit structures: $128,314; mobile homes: $40,288; occupied boats, rvs, vans, etc.: $39,559
- 54197.5%White alone
- 71.3%Two or more races
- 30.5%American Indian alone
- 10.2%Black alone
|Images of Wisconsin (1651 replies)|
|Renting apt in Whitefish Bay vs other areas north of Milwaukee (20 replies)|
|Moving out of WI. Where is good for me? (21 replies)|
|Need help planning a fishing trip. (12 replies)|
|Moving to Wausau area...kid activities (11 replies)|
Latest news from Sylvan, WI collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: German (32.7%), Irish (13.5%), Norwegian (13.5%), English (13.3%), United States (10.1%), Polish (4.4%).
Current Local Time: CST time zone
Elevation: 1257 feet
Land area: 36.1 square miles.
Population density: 15 people per square mile(very low).
1 resident is foreign born
|Sylvan town:||1.4% ($1,170)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: La Crosse, WI (42.3 miles , pop. 51,818).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Madison, WI (65.0 miles , pop. 208,054).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Chicago, IL (184.0 miles , pop. 2,896,016).
Latitude: 43.41 N, Longitude: 90.60 W
Area code commonly used in this area: 608
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing & hunting (19.0%)
- Electrical equipment, appliances, components (6.7%)
- Food (5.3%)
- Food & beverage stores (4.9%)
- Transportation equipment (4.6%)
- Educational services (4.6%)
- Department & other general merchandise stores (4.2%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing & hunting (23.3%)
- Food (9.2%)
- Truck transportation (7.4%)
- Construction (5.5%)
- Electrical equipment, appliances, components (5.5%)
- Transportation equipment (5.5%)
- Miscellaneous manufacturing (5.5%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing & hunting (13.2%)
- Health care (9.9%)
- Electrical equipment, appliances, components (8.3%)
- Food & beverage stores (8.3%)
- Department & other general merchandise stores (7.4%)
- Educational services (6.6%)
- Apparel (5.8%)
- Farmers and farm managers (12.0%)
- Other production occupations, including supervisors (9.2%)
- Agricultural workers, including supervisors (6.3%)
- Metal workers and plastic workers (6.0%)
- Assemblers and fabricators (5.6%)
- Driver/sales workers and truck drivers (4.9%)
- Textile, apparel, and furnishings workers (3.2%)
- Farmers and farm managers (16.0%)
- Other production occupations, including supervisors (8.6%)
- Driver/sales workers and truck drivers (8.6%)
- Assemblers and fabricators (8.0%)
- Metal workers and plastic workers (7.4%)
- Agricultural workers, including supervisors (6.1%)
- Construction traders workers except carpenters, electricians, painters, plumbers, and construction laborers (4.9%)
- Other production occupations, including supervisors (9.9%)
- Textile, apparel, and furnishings workers (7.4%)
- Farmers and farm managers (6.6%)
- Agricultural workers, including supervisors (6.6%)
- Health technologists and technicians (5.0%)
- Bookkeeping, accounting, and auditing clerks (5.0%)
- Food and beverage serving workers, except waiters and waitresses (4.1%)
Average climate in Sylvan, Wisconsin
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Sylvan-area historical tornado activity is slightly above Wisconsin state average. It is 40% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 4/11/1965, a category F4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 17.6 miles away from the Sylvan town center killed one person and injured 3 people and caused between $500,000 and $5,000,000 in damages.
On 6/7/1984, a category F5 (max. wind speeds 261-318 mph) tornado 43.5 miles away from the town center killed 9 people and injured 200 people and caused between $50,000 and $500,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Sylvan-area historical earthquake activity is above Wisconsin state average. It is 87% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 4/18/2008 at 09:36:59, a magnitude 5.4 (5.1 MB, 4.8 MS, 5.4 MW, 5.2 MW, Depth: 8.9 mi, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 370.8 miles away from the city center
On 6/28/2004 at 06:10:52, a magnitude 4.2 (4.0 MB, 4.2 MW, Depth: 6.2 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 160.2 miles away from the city center
On 6/10/1987 at 23:48:54, a magnitude 5.1 (4.9 MB, 4.4 MS, 4.6 MS, 5.1 LG) earthquake occurred 347.2 miles away from the city center
On 7/9/1975 at 14:54:15, a magnitude 4.6 (4.6 MB) earthquake occurred 310.4 miles away from the city center
On 9/2/1999 at 16:17:29, a magnitude 3.5 (3.5 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: II - III) earthquake occurred 130.9 miles away from Sylvan center
On 4/18/2008 at 15:14:16, a magnitude 4.8 (4.5 MB, 4.8 MW, 4.6 MW, Depth: 6.2 mi) earthquake occurred 370.1 miles away from Sylvan center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Richland County (15) is near the US average (13).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 13
Emergencies Declared: 2
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 13, Storms: 13, Tornadoes: 7, Mudslides: 2, Winds: 2, Drought: 1, Heavy Rain: 1, Hurricane: 1 (Note: some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Sylvan:
- Viterbo University (about 43 miles; La Crosse, WI; Full-time enrollment: 2,848)
- University of Wisconsin-La Crosse (about 43 miles; La Crosse, WI; FT enrollment: 9,837)
- Western Technical College (about 43 miles; La Crosse, WI; FT enrollment: 3,377)
- University of Wisconsin-Platteville (about 47 miles; Platteville, WI; FT enrollment: 7,679)
- Luther College (about 61 miles; Decorah, IA; FT enrollment: 2,700)
- Edgewood College (about 65 miles; Madison, WI; FT enrollment: 2,455)
- University of Wisconsin-Madison (about 65 miles; Madison, WI; FT enrollment: 34,621)
Points of interest:
Notable locations in Sylvan: Sunny Side Farm (A), Valley View Farm (B), Butternut Grove Farm (C), Cottage Grove Farm (D), Mill Creek Farm (E), Mountain Meadow Stock Farm (F), Elm Grove Farm (G), Arbor Vitae Cottage Farm (H), Pine Park Stock and Grain Farm (I), Evergreen Farm (J), Elm Tree Farm (K), Oakland Farm (L), Good View Farm (M), Great Rock Stock Farm (N), Maple Valley Farm (O), Evergreen Cottage Farm (P), Spring Valley Farm (Q), Galloway Stock and Grain Farm (R), Pine Valley Farm (S), Spring Bank Farm (T). Display/hide their locations on the map
Church in Sylvan: Sylvan Church (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Cemeteries: Sylvan Cemetery (1), Mill Creek Cemetery (2), Mount Tabor Cemetery (3), Saint Peters Cemetery (4). Display/hide their locations on the map
Reservoirs: .38 Reservoir (A), 1 Reservoir (B), 4 Reservoir (C), 2 Reservoir (D). Display/hide their locations on the map
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Kepler Branch (A), Hoke Creek (B), Higgins Creek (C). Display/hide their locations on the map
|This town:||3.0 people|
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.0% of all households
- Gay men: 0.5% of all households
For population 15 years and over in Sylvan:
- Never married: 28.1%
- Now married: 62.3%
- Separated: 0.5%
- Widowed: 5.1%
- Divorced: 4.0%
For population 25 years and over in Sylvan:
- High school or higher: 80.6%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 10.9%
- Graduate or professional degree: 2.6%
- Unemployed: 1.7%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 33.5 minutes
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Sylvan, WI (based on Richland County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|This county:||2.20 / 10,000 pop.|
|Wisconsin:||1.86 / 10,000 pop.|
|Richland County:||0.55 / 10,000 pop.|
|Wisconsin:||0.11 / 10,000 pop.|
|This county:||0.55 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||0.38 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||5.51 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||4.12 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||9.36 / 10,000 pop.|
|Wisconsin:||8.64 / 10,000 pop.|
5.71% of this county's 2015 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2016 ($38,426 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2015 and 2016.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2015 and 2016:
Strongest AM radio stations in Sylvan:
- WSPT (1010 AM; 50 kW; STEVENS POINT, WI)
- WKTY (580 AM; 5 kW; LA CROSSE, WI; Owner: FAMILY RADIO, INC.)
- WRCO (1450 AM; 1 kW; RICHLAND CENTER, WI; Owner: FRUIT BROADCASTING, LLC)
- WTMJ (620 AM; 50 kW; MILWAUKEE, WI; Owner: JOURNAL BROADCAST CORPORATION)
- WNAM (1280 AM; 50 kW; NEENAH-MENASHA, WI; Owner: CUMULUS LICENSING CORP.)
- WVRQ (1360 AM; 1 kW; VIROQUA, WI; Owner: ROBINSON CORPORATION)
- WSAU (550 AM; 20 kW; WAUSAU, WI; Owner: WRIG, INC.)
- WSCR (670 AM; 50 kW; CHICAGO, IL; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WGN (720 AM; 50 kW; CHICAGO, IL; Owner: WGN CONTINENTAL BROADCASTING CO.)
- WISN (1130 AM; 50 kW; MILWAUKEE, WI; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WKLJ (1290 AM; 5 kW; SPARTA, WI; Owner: SPARTA-TOMAH BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- WBBM (780 AM; 50 kW; CHICAGO, IL; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- KXEL (1540 AM; 50 kW; WATERLOO, IA; Owner: KXEL BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Sylvan:
- WVCX (98.9 FM; TOMAH, WI; Owner: VCY AMERICA, INC.)
- WRCO-FM (100.9 FM; RICHLAND CENTER, WI; Owner: FRUIT BROADCASTING, LLC)
- WVRQ-FM (102.3 FM; VIROQUA, WI; Owner: ROBINSON CORPORATION)
- WOLX-FM (94.9 FM; BARABOO, WI; Owner: ENTERCOM MADISON LICENSE, LLC.)
- WIZM-FM (93.3 FM; LA CROSSE, WI; Owner: FAMILY RADIO, INC.)
- WHHI (91.3 FM; HIGHLAND, WI; Owner: STATE OF WISCONSIN - EDUCATIONAL COMMUNICATIONS BOARD)
- WRJC-FM (92.1 FM; MAUSTON, WI; Owner: WRJC, INCORPORATED)
TV broadcast stations around Sylvan:
- WDLS-LP (Channel 35; TOMAH, WI; Owner: MAGNUM RADIO, INC.)
- WXOW-TV (Channel 19; LA CROSSE, WI; Owner: WXOW-WQOW TELEVISION, INC.)
- National Bridge Inventory (NBI) Statistics
- 18Number of bridges
- 82ft / 25.4mTotal length
- $549,000Total costs
- 5,904Total average daily traffic
- 555Total average daily truck traffic
- 7,929Total future (year 2035) average daily traffic
- New bridges - historical statistics
FCC Registered Microwave Towers:1
- SABIN, 1 Mile East Of (Lat: 43.423861 Lon: -90.609278), Overall height: 54.9 m, Call Sign: WLM747,
Assigned Frequencies: 2162.00 MHz, Grant Date: 03/01/2011, Expiration Date: 02/01/2021, Cancellation Date: 06/01/2015, Registrant: Blooston, Mordkofsky, Dickens, Duffy & Prendergast, LLP, 2120 L Street, Nw, Suite 300, Washington, DC 20037, Phone: (202) 828-5538, Fax: (202) 828-5568
FCC Registered Paging Towers:1
- .75 Miles East Of (Lat: 43.424417 Lon: -90.608444), Call Sign: KWU285,
Assigned Frequencies: 459.575 MHz, 454.375 MHz, Grant Date: 06/24/2008, Expiration Date: 07/01/2018, Cancellation Date: 08/18/2018, Registrant: Blooston, Mordkofsky, Dickens, Duffy & Prendergast, LLP, 2121 L Street, N.W., Suite 300, Washington, DC 20037, Phone: (202) 659-0830, Fax: (202) 828-5568
Sylvan compared to Wisconsin state average:
- Unemployed percentage significantly below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age significantly below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Renting percentage below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher below state average.