Tabor City, North Carolina
We are giving away $1200 in prizes - enter simply by sending us your own city pictures!
|Median resident age:||39.3 years|
|North Carolina median age:||38.4 years|
Zip codes: 28463.
Estimated per capita income in 2015: $14,382 (it was $13,280 in 2000)
Tabor City town income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2015: $88,267 (it was $61,800 in 2000)
Mean prices in 2015: All housing units: $112,293; Detached houses: $125,353; Mobile homes: $17,159
Median gross rent in 2015: $575.
Races in Tabor City, NC (2015)
- 1,89447.1%White alone
- 1,62340.3%Black alone
- 1323.3%Two or more races
- 1213.0%American Indian alone
- 80.2%Asian alone
- 50.1%Other race alone
Recent articles from our blog. Our writers, many of them Ph.D. graduates or candidates, create easy-to-read articles on a wide variety of topics.
- The decline of the U.S. Agriculture industry visualized Apr 23
- The revenues and net sales of Samsonite Apr 21
- Crowfunding is a fast-increasing market Apr 19
- The number of jobs in Construction is falling across the U.S. Apr 17
- Higher local employment numbers lead to higher payrolls, especially in finance Apr 15
|Worst towns in North Carolina? (729 replies)|
|Midterm Elections - No Discussion? (560 replies)|
|Another "bathroom bill" introduced in the GA (13 replies)|
|Taking Roadtrip to Coastal North Carolina for Possible Places to Retire (55 replies)|
|Deep South-ish areas of North Carolina (82 replies)|
|Lumberton is the 2nd most dangerous city in the country (36 replies)|
Latest news from Tabor City, NC collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: American (25.9%), English (3.3%), German (3.1%), Irish (2.1%), European (1.8%), Moroccan (1.3%).
Current Local Time: EST time zone
Elevation: 106 feet
Land area: 2.94 square miles.
Population density: 1,329 people per square mile(low).
For population 25 years and over in Tabor City:
- High school or higher: 70.8%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 11.6%
- Graduate or professional degree: 4.1%
- Unemployed: 10.1%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 20.4 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Tabor City town:
- Never married: 40.7%
- Now married: 29.0%
- Separated: 6.2%
- Widowed: 10.2%
- Divorced: 13.9%
149 residents are foreign born (3.2% Latin America).
According to our research of North Carolina and other state lists there were 20 registered sex offenders living in Tabor City, North Carolina as of April 24, 2017.
The ratio of number of residents in Tabor City to the number of sex offenders is 198 to 1.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with mortgages in 2015: $1,577 (1.2%)
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with no mortgage in 2015: $813 (1.0%)
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Wilmington, NC (55.2 miles , pop. 75,838).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Raleigh, NC (116.2 miles , pop. 276,093).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Philadelphia, PA (453.8 miles , pop. 1,517,550).
Nearest cities: Loris, SC (2.5 miles ), Floyds, SC (3.5 miles ), Chadbourn, NC (3.5 miles ), Cerro Gordo, NC (3.5 miles ), Brunswick, NC (3.7 miles ), Longs, SC (3.8 miles ), Fair Bluff, NC (3.8 miles ), Whiteville, NC (4.0 miles ).
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1997: 2 buildings, average cost: $262,500
- 1998: 2 buildings, average cost: $140,000
- 1999: 2 buildings, average cost: $84,000
- 2000: 3 buildings, average cost: $160,000
- 2001: 2 buildings, average cost: $155,000
- 2002: 9 buildings, average cost: $78,700
- 2003: 8 buildings, average cost: $115,000
- 2004: 7 buildings, average cost: $103,300
- 2005: 4 buildings, average cost: $136,500
- 2006: 11 buildings, average cost: $90,400
- 2007: 10 buildings, average cost: $138,800
- 2008: 14 buildings, average cost: $104,200
- 2009: 2 buildings, average cost: $281,400
- 2010: 1 building, cost: $259,000
- 2011: 2 buildings, average cost: $108,500
- 2012: 1 building, cost: $200,000
- 2013: 1 building, cost: $120,000
- 2014: 1 building, cost: $160,000
Number of permits per 10,000 residents
Average cost (in $1000s)
Latitude: 34.15 N, Longitude: 78.87 W
Area code: 910
|Crime rates in Tabor City by Year|
|City-data.com crime index (higher means more crime, U.S. average = 295.4)||1240.7||833.3||713.6||625.3||471.1||629.4||729.0||706.8||691.3||514.7|
(click on a table row to update graph)
Crime rate in Tabor City detailed stats: murders, rapes, robberies, assaults, burglaries, thefts, arson
|Officers per 1,000 residents here:||2.57|
|North Carolina average:||2.39|
Unemployment by year (%)
- Retail trade (22%)
- Accommodation and food services (11%)
- Public administration (10%)
- Transportation and warehousing (10%)
- Construction (10%)
- Manufacturing (8%)
- Educational services (8%)
- Health care and social assistance (19%)
- Retail trade (18%)
- Educational services (16%)
- Accommodation and food services (11%)
- Administrative and support and waste management services (8%)
- Manufacturing (7%)
- Other services, except public administration (6%)
- Management occupations (13%)
- Installation, maintenance, and repair occupations (12%)
- Office and administrative support occupations (10%)
- Sales and related occupations (10%)
- Construction and extraction occupations (9%)
- Production occupations (6%)
- Transportation occupations (6%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (15%)
- Education, training, and library occupations (14%)
- Office and administrative support occupations (13%)
- Health technologists and technicians (13%)
- Sales and related occupations (11%)
- Personal care and service occupations (7%)
- Production occupations (6%)
Average climate in Tabor City, North Carolina
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Tabor City-area historical tornado activity is near North Carolina state average. It is 8% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 11/7/1995, a category F4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 23.8 miles away from the Tabor City town center injured one person and caused between $500,000 and $5,000,000 in damages.
On 10/9/1950, a category F3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 15.6 miles away from the town center injured 3 people and caused between $50,000 and $500,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Tabor City-area historical earthquake activity is slightly below North Carolina state average. It is 89% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 11/22/1974 at 05:25:55, a magnitude 4.7 (4.7 MB, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 113.3 miles away from the city center
On 8/21/1992 at 16:31:55, a magnitude 4.4 (4.1 MB, 4.1 LG, 4.4 LG, Depth: 6.2 mi) earthquake occurred 104.4 miles away from Tabor City center
On 8/2/1974 at 08:52:09, a magnitude 4.9 (4.3 MB, 4.9 LG) earthquake occurred 208.2 miles away from the city center
On 11/11/2002 at 23:39:29, a magnitude 4.4 (4.0 MB, 4.4 LG, Depth: 1.5 mi) earthquake occurred 135.4 miles away from the city center
On 4/13/1998 at 09:56:11, a magnitude 3.9 (3.5 MB, 3.9 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: II - III) earthquake occurred 96.4 miles away from Tabor City center
On 4/17/1995 at 13:45:57, a magnitude 3.9 (3.9 LG, Depth: 6.2 mi) earthquake occurred 108.0 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Columbus County (17) is greater than the US average (13).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 9
Emergencies Declared: 8
Causes of natural disasters: Hurricanes: 14, Drought: 1, Snowfall: 1, Tropical Storm: 1, Winter Storm: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Birthplace of: Stonewall Jackson (musician) - Country musician, Taffy Wright - Baseball player.
Hospitals and medical centers near Tabor City:
- LORIS DIALYSIS CENTER (Dialysis Facility, about 7 miles away; LORIS, SC)
- LORIS COMMUNITY HOSPITAL (Hospital, about 7 miles away; LORIS, SC)
- LORIS EXTENDED CARE CENTER (Nursing Home, about 7 miles away; LORIS, SC)
- STRAWBERRY HOUSE (Hospital, about 13 miles away; CHADBOURN, NC)
- DAVITA DIALYSIS OF CHADBOURN (Dialysis Facility, about 13 miles away; CHADBOURN, NC)
- RIVERSIDE RESIDENTIAL (Hospital, about 15 miles away; FAIR BLUFF, NC)
- CENTURY CARE CENTER INC (Nursing Home, about 16 miles away; WHITEVILLE, NC)
airports located in Tabor City:See details about airports located in Tabor City, NC
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Tabor City:
- Horry-Georgetown Technical College (about 26 miles; Conway, SC; Full-time enrollment: 5,772)
- Coastal Carolina University (about 26 miles; Conway, SC; FT enrollment: 8,881)
- Robeson Community College (about 34 miles; Lumberton, NC; FT enrollment: 2,322)
- University of North Carolina at Pembroke (about 42 miles; Pembroke, NC; FT enrollment: 5,548)
- Francis Marion University (about 45 miles; Florence, SC; FT enrollment: 3,624)
- Cape Fear Community College (about 54 miles; Wilmington, NC; FT enrollment: 8,372)
- Florence-Darlington Technical College (about 55 miles; Florence, SC; FT enrollment: 4,468)
Public high school in Tabor City:
- SOUTH COLUMBUS HIGH (Location: 40 STALLION DRIVE, Grades: 9-12)
Public elementary/middle schools in Tabor City:
Notable locations in Tabor City: Tabor Industrial Park (A), Tabor City Police Department (B). Display/hide their locations on the map
Church in Tabor City: Forest Lawn Church (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Hotel: Economy Inn (1406 East 5th Street).
Court: Columbus County Judicial System - County Courts- Foreclosures Involuntary Commitments Name Cha (110 West 4th Street).
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2011 was 61.1. This is better than average.
Ozone [ppb] level in 2011 was 29.3. This is about average. Closest monitor was 6.1 miles away from the city center.
(31.5% for White Non-Hispanic residents, 65.0% for Black residents, 84.8% for Hispanic or Latino residents, 76.4% for other race residents, 32.1% for two or more races residents)
|This town:||2.2 people|
|North Carolina:||2.5 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.4% of all households
- Gay men: 0.1% of all households
People in group quarters in Tabor City in 2000:
- 78 people in other noninstitutional group quarters
- 8 people in other group homes
- 5 people in homes for the mentally retarded
Banks with branches in Tabor City (2011 data):
- Branch Banking and Trust Company: Tabor City Main Branch at 301 Hickman Road, branch established on 1937/11/01. Info updated 2010/03/29: Bank assets: $168,867.6 mil, Deposits: $127,549.5 mil, headquarters in Winston Salem, NC, positive income, Commercial Lending Specialization, 1793 total offices, Holding Company: Bb&T Corporation
- Waccamaw Bank: Tabor City Branch at 105 Hickman Road, branch established on 1997/09/02. Info updated 2006/06/06: Bank assets: $562.0 mil, Deposits: $492.7 mil, headquarters in Whiteville, NC, negative income in the last year, Commercial Lending Specialization, 17 total offices, Holding Company: Waccamaw Bankshares, Inc
- First Bank: Tabor City Branch 8 at 102 East Fifth Street, branch established on 1898/01/01. Info updated 2011/01/25: Bank assets: $3,289.4 mil, Deposits: $2,759.1 mil, headquarters in Troy, NC, positive income, Commercial Lending Specialization, 98 total offices, Holding Company: First Bancorp
Educational Attainment (%) in 2015
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2015
|North Carolina average:||12.2|
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Tabor City town (based on Columbus County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Columbus County:||2.78 / 10,000 pop.|
|North Carolina:||2.05 / 10,000 pop.|
|This county:||0.19 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||0.14 / 10,000 pop.|
|Columbus County:||0.19 / 10,000 pop.|
|North Carolina:||0.92 / 10,000 pop.|
|Columbus County:||7.97 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||4.75 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||5.37 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||7.57 / 10,000 pop.|
Health and Nutrition:
More about Health and Nutrition of Tabor City, NC Residents
|Local government employment and payroll (March 2012)|
|Function||Full-time employees||Monthly full-time payroll||Average yearly full-time wage||Part-time employees||Monthly part-time payroll|
|Other Government Administration||5||$35,730||$85,752||0||$0|
|Police Protection - Officers||9||$28,461||$37,948||0||$0|
|Police - Other||1||$1,796||$21,552||0||$0|
|Streets and Highways||7||$5,708||$9,785||0||$0|
|Other and Unallocable||7||$8,289||$14,210||2||$1,904|
|Totals for Government||34||$98,664||$34,823||2||$1,904|
Tabor City government finances - Expenditure in 2006 (per resident):
- Current Operations - Police Protection: $499,000 ($127.56)
Regular Highways: $478,000 ($122.19)
Liquor Stores: $377,000 ($96.37)
Sewerage: $334,000 ($85.38)
Solid Waste Management: $302,000 ($77.20)
Housing and Community Development: $257,000 ($65.70)
Central Staff Services: $219,000 ($55.98)
Water Utilities: $143,000 ($36.55)
Local Fire Protection: $133,000 ($34.00)
General - Other: $121,000 ($30.93)
Parks and Recreation: $83,000 ($21.22)
Judicial and Legal Services: $6,000 ($1.53)
Libraries: $5,000 ($1.28)
- Intergovernmental to Local NEC - General - Other: $65,000 ($16.62)
Health - Other: $3,000 ($0.77)
- Other Capital Outlay - Local Fire Protection: $208,000 ($53.17)
Regular Highways: $202,000 ($51.64)
Police Protection: $24,000 ($6.13)
Central Staff Services: $2,000 ($0.51)
- Total Salaries and Wages: $819,000 ($209.36)
- Water Utilities - Interest on Debt: $115,000 ($29.40)
Tabor City government finances - Revenue in 2006 (per resident):
- Charges - Sewerage: $458,000 ($117.08)
Solid Waste Management: $300,000 ($76.69)
All Other: $141,000 ($36.04)
Parks and Recreation: $19,000 ($4.86)
- Federal Intergovernmental - All Other: $90,000 ($23.01)
Housing and Community Development: $10,000 ($2.56)
- Local Intergovernmental - General Local Government Support: $400,000 ($102.25)
- Miscellaneous - General Revenue, NEC: $70,000 ($17.89)
Interest Earnings: $49,000 ($12.53)
- Revenue - Liquor Stores: $409,000 ($104.55)
Water Utilities: $196,000 ($50.10)
- State Intergovernmental - All Other: $179,000 ($45.76)
General Local Government Support: $121,000 ($30.93)
Transit Utilities: $110,000 ($28.12)
Highways: $93,000 ($23.77)
- Tax - Property: $765,000 ($195.55)
NEC: $18,000 ($4.60)
Alcoholic Beverage Sales: $16,000 ($4.09)
Occupation and Business License, NEC: $7,000 ($1.79)
Other Selective Sales: $1,000 ($0.26)
Tabor City government finances - Debt in 2006 (per resident):
- Long Term Debt - Beginning Outstanding - Unspecified Public Purpose: $2,071,000 ($529.40)
Outstanding Unspecified Public Purpose: $2,041,000 ($521.73)
Retired Unspecified Public Purpose: $30,000 ($7.67)
Tabor City government finances - Cash and Securities in 2006 (per resident):
- Other Funds - Cash and Securities: $1,352,000 ($345.60)
4.18% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($28,468 average adjusted gross income)
|North Carolina average:||7.13%|
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Horry County, SC||0.48% ($24,578 average AGI)|
|from Brunswick County, NC||0.43% ($30,260)|
|from New Hanover County, NC||0.41% ($24,971)|
4.44% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($30,875 average adjusted gross income)
|North Carolina average:||6.77%|
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Tabor City:
- WTAB (1370 AM; 5 kW; TABOR CITY, NC; Owner: WTAB, INC)
- WENC (1220 AM; 5 kW; WHITEVILLE, NC; Owner: DHA COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WLSC (1240 AM; 1 kW; LORIS, SC; Owner: J.A.R.C. BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WMIR (1200 AM; 7 kW; ATLANTIC BEACH, SC; Owner: ATLANTIC BEACH RADIO, INC.)
- WQJM (1450 AM; 10 kW; MYRTLE BEACH, SC; Owner: NM LICENSING, LLC)
- WPJS (1330 AM; 5 kW; CONWAY, SC; Owner: WPJS BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WPTF (680 AM; 50 kW; RALEIGH, NC; Owner: FIRST STATE COMMUNICATIONS)
- WJAY (1280 AM; 4 kW; MULLINS, SC; Owner: THE GREATER HWY CHURCH OF CHRIST)
- WCEO (840 AM; daytime; 50 kW; COLUMBIA, SC; Owner: EASTERN BROADCASTING GROUP, INC.)
- WMYT (1180 AM; daytime; 10 kW; CAROLINA BEACH, NC; Owner: FAMILY RADIO NETWORK, INC.)
- WJMX (970 AM; 10 kW; FLORENCE, SC; Owner: QANTUM OF FLORENCE LICENSE COMPANY, LLC)
- WFNC (640 AM; 10 kW; FAYETTEVILLE, NC; Owner: CUMULUS LICENSING CORP.)
- WBAJ (890 AM; daytime; 50 kW; BLYTHEWOOD, SC; Owner: FAMILY FIRST)
Strongest FM radio stations in Tabor City:
- WSTS (100.9 FM; FAIRMONT, NC; Owner: PRO-MEDIA, INC.)
- WEGX (92.9 FM; DILLON, SC; Owner: QANTUM OF FLORENCE LICENSE COMPANY, LLC)
- WVCO (94.9 FM; LORIS, SC; Owner: CAROLINA BEACH MUSIC BROADCASTING CORP.)
- WHQR (91.3 FM; WILMINGTON, NC; Owner: FRIENDS OF PUBLIC RADIO, INC.)
- WKZQ-FM (101.7 FM; MYRTLE BEACH, SC; Owner: NM LICENSING, LLC)
- WHMC-FM (90.1 FM; CONWAY, SC; Owner: SOUTH CAROLINA EDUCATIONAL TV COMMISSION)
- WKVC (88.9 FM; NORTH MYRTLE BEACH, SC; Owner: EDUCATIONAL MEDIA FOUNDATION)
- WYAV (104.1 FM; MYRTLE BEACH, SC; Owner: NM LICENSING, LLC)
- WZFX (99.1 FM; WHITEVILLE, NC; Owner: WDAS LICENSE LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WJXY-FM (93.9 FM; CONWAY, SC; Owner: CUMULUS LICENSING CORP.)
- WMNX (97.3 FM; WILMINGTON, NC; Owner: CUMULUS LICENSING CORP.)
- WKML (95.7 FM; LUMBERTON, NC; Owner: WKML LICENSE LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WQSD (107.1 FM; BRIARCLIFF ACRES, SC; Owner: QANTUM OF MYRTLE BEACH LICENSE COMPANY, LLC)
- WMYB (92.1 FM; MYRTLE BEACH, SC; Owner: NM LICENSING, LLC)
- WEZV (105.9 FM; NORTH MYRTLE BEACH, SC; Owner: FIDELITY BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
TV broadcast stations around Tabor City:
- WSFX-TV (Channel 26; WILMINGTON, NC; Owner: SOUTHEASTERN MEDIA HOLDINGS, INC.)
- WFXB (Channel 43; MYRTLE BEACH, SC; Owner: GE MEDIA, INC.)
- WPDE-TV (Channel 15; FLORENCE, SC; Owner: GRAND STRAND COMMUNICATIONS)
- WWMB (Channel 21; FLORENCE, SC; Owner: ATLANTIC MEDIA GROUP, INC.)
- WBTW (Channel 13; FLORENCE, SC; Owner: MEDIA GENERAL BROADCASTING OF SO. CAROLINA HOLDINGS, INC.)
- WHMC (Channel 23; CONWAY, SC; Owner: SOUTH CAROLINA EDUCATIONAL TV COMMISSION)
- WECT (Channel 6; WILMINGTON, NC; Owner: RAYCOM AMERICA, INC.)
- WUNJ-TV (Channel 39; WILMINGTON, NC; Owner: UNIVERSITY OF NORTH CAROLINA)
- W49AN (Channel 49; MYRTLE BEACH, SC; Owner: DOVE BROADCASTING, INC.)
Fatal road traffic accident statistics for 1975 - 2014 (per 100,000 population)
- National Bridge Inventory (NBI) Statistics
- 2Number of bridges
- 2m7ftTotal length
- 12,940Total average daily traffic
- 1,016Total average daily truck traffic
- 25,880Total future (year 2025) average daily traffic
Drinking water stations with addresses in Tabor City and their reported violations in the past:BOARDMAN, TOWN OF (Population served: 150, Purch groundwater):
Past monitoring violations:GRAPEFULL SISTER`S VINEYARD (Population served: 50, Groundwater):
- Monitoring and Reporting (DBP) - Between JAN-2005 and DEC-2005, Contaminant: Total Haloacetic Acids (HAA5). Follow-up actions: St Public Notif requested (NOV-09-2005), St Formal NOV issued (DEC-01-2005), St Compliance achieved (DEC-28-2006)
- One routine major monitoring violation
Past monitoring violations:
- 2 routine major monitoring violations
- 2 regular monitoring violations
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 54
- Hazardous Condition: 17
Incident types - Tabor City
|Most common first names in Tabor City, NC among deceased individuals|
|Most common last names in Tabor City, NC among deceased individuals|
|Last name||Count||Lived (average)|
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Electricity (71%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (22%)
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (3%)
- No fuel used (2%)
- Utility gas (2%)
|Businesses in Tabor City, NC|
|Burger King||1||True Value||1|
Tabor City compared to North Carolina state average:
- Median household income significantly below state average.
- Median house value below state average.
- Unemployed percentage below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly above state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- House age above state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher below state average.
Tabor City on our top lists:
- #70 on the list of "Top 101 cities with the largest percentage of people in other noninstitutional group quarters (population 1,000+)"
- #46 (28463) on the list of "Top 101 zip codes with the largest percentage of United States first ancestries (pop 5,000+)"
- #5 on the list of "Top 101 counties with the smallest number of people without health insurance coverage in 2000 (pop. 50,000+)"
- #46 on the list of "Top 101 counties with the lowest surface withdrawal of fresh water for public supply (pop. 50,000+)"
- #58 on the list of "Top 101 counties with the lowest total withdrawal of fresh water for public supply (pop. 50,000+)"
- #75 on the list of "Top 101 counties with the smallest number of children under 18 without health insurance coverage in 2000"
- #79 on the list of "Top 101 counties with the highest number of deaths per 1000 residents 2007-2013 (pop. 50,000+)"
Total of 1 patent application in 2008-2017.