|Median resident age:||42.7 years|
|Texas median age:||32.3 years|
Zip code: 76888
Talpa CCD income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2012: $90,799 (it was $53,600 in 2000)
- White alone - 665 (90.7%)
- Hispanic - 61 (8.3%)
- Two or more races - 4 (0.5%)
- American Indian alone - 2 (0.3%)
- Black alone - 1 (0.1%)
Current Local Time: CST time zone
Elevation: 1958 feet
Land area: 370.8 square miles.
|Population density: 1.8 people per square mile||(very low).|
For population 25 years and over in Talpa:
- High school or higher: 80.7%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 16.1%
- Graduate or professional degree: 5.1%
- Unemployed: 4.5%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 31.5 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Talpa CCD:
- Never married: 14.2%
- Now married: 67.7%
- Separated: 0.0%
- Widowed: 7.6%
- Divorced: 10.6%
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|Talpa CCD:||0.5% ($256)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Abilene, TX (51.7 miles , pop. 115,930).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Austin, TX (146.6 miles , pop. 656,562).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: San Antonio, TX (168.9 miles , pop. 1,144,646).
Nearest cities: Coleman, TX (3.6 miles ), Santa Anna, TX (4.0 miles ), Novice, TX (4.4 miles) , Ballinger, TX (4.6 miles ), Paint Rock, TX (4.9 miles ), Rowena, TX (4.9 miles ), Eola-Paint Rock, TX (5.2 miles ), Bangs, TX (5.2 miles ).
Latitude: 31.71 N, Longitude: 99.59 W
Area code commonly used in this area: 325
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (25%)
- Construction (18%)
- Truck transportation (7%)
- Public administration (5%)
- Educational services (4%)
- Religious, grantmaking, civic, professional, and similar organizations (4%)
- Miscellaneous manufacturing (3%)
- Educational services (25%)
- Health care (15%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (5%)
- Food and beverage stores (5%)
- Social assistance (5%)
- Public administration (4%)
- Metal and metal products (4%)
- Farmers and farm managers (16%)
- Driver/sales workers and truck drivers (9%)
- Agricultural workers including supervisors (7%)
- Other management occupations except farmers and farm managers (6%)
- Metal workers and plastic workers (6%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (5%)
- Construction trades workers except carpenters, electricians, painters, plumbers, and construction laborers (5%)
- Preschool, kindergarten, elementary and middle school teachers (10%)
- Secretaries and administrative assistants (7%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (6%)
- Cooks and food preparation workers (6%)
- Other management occupations except farmers and farm managers (5%)
- Other teachers and instructors, education, training, and library occupations (5%)
- Registered nurses (5%)
Average climate in Talpa, Texas
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Talpa-area historical tornado activity is slightly below Texas state average. It is 16% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 4/19/1976, a category F5 (max. wind speeds 261-318 mph) tornado 30.8 miles away from the Talpa place center injured 11 people and caused between $500,000 and $5,000,000 in damages.
On 4/10/1979, a category F3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 9.2 miles away from the place center injured one person and caused between $500 and $5000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Talpa-area historical earthquake activity is near Texas state average. It is 72% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 6/16/1978 at 11:46:54, a magnitude 5.3 (4.4 MB, 4.6 UK, 5.3 ML, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 114.1 miles away from the city center
On 4/14/1995 at 00:32:56, a magnitude 5.7 (5.6 MB, 5.7 MS, 5.7 MW, Depth: 11.1 mi) earthquake occurred 244.6 miles away from Talpa center
On 1/2/1992 at 11:45:35, a magnitude 5.0 (4.6 MB, 5.0 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 210.1 miles away from the city center
On 4/9/1993 at 12:29:19, a magnitude 4.3 (4.1 MB, 4.3 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 218.9 miles away from the city center
On 9/6/1997 at 23:38:00, a magnitude 4.5 (4.5 LG, 4.2 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 274.0 miles away from Talpa center
On 4/28/1998 at 14:13:01, a magnitude 4.2 (3.9 MB, 4.2 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 223.1 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Coleman County (9) is smaller than the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 4
Emergencies Declared: 5
Causes of natural disasters: Fires: 3, Hurricanes: 3, Storms: 3, Floods: 2, Tornado: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Hospitals and medical centers near Talpa:
- COLEMAN HEALTHCARE CENTER (Nursing Home, about 13 miles away; COLEMAN, TX)
- LEISURE LODGE (Nursing Home, about 13 miles away; COLEMAN, TX)
- COLEMAN COUNTY MEDICAL CENTER COMPANY Critical Access Hospitals (about 13 miles away; COLEMAN, TX)
- OVERALL-MORRIS MEMORIAL HOSPITAL (Hospital, about 13 miles away; COLEMAN, TX)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Talpa:
- Abilene Christian University (about 53 miles; Abilene, TX; Full-time enrollment: 4,025)
- Angelo State University (about 55 miles; San Angelo, TX; FT enrollment: 6,019)
- Cisco College (about 60 miles; Cisco, TX; FT enrollment: 2,687)
- Tarleton State University (about 88 miles; Stephenville, TX; FT enrollment: 8,882)
- Central Texas College (about 113 miles; Killeen, TX; FT enrollment: 15,911)
- Howard College (about 116 miles; Big Spring, TX; FT enrollment: 2,587)
- Weatherford College (about 128 miles; Weatherford, TX; FT enrollment: 4,080)
Public high school in Talpa:
- C A P School (Location: RT 1 BOX 43; Grades: 7-12)
Notable location: Glen Cove Pumping Station (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Church in Talpa: Harmony Church (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Cemeteries: Brown Ranch Cemetery (1), Leaday Cemetery (2), Glen Cove Cemetery (3), Talpa Cemetery (4), Old Valera Cemetery (5), Hill Cemetery (6), Voss Cemetery (7). Display/hide their locations on the map
Reservoirs: Talpa City Lake (A), Hords Creek Lake (B), Soil Conservation Service Site 20 Reservoir (C), Soil Conservation Service Site 18 Reservoir (D), Johnson Lake (E), Soil Conservation Service Site 14 Reservoir (F), Soil Conservation Service Site 12 Reservoir (G), Soil Conservation Service Site 15 Reservoir (H). Display/hide their locations on the map
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Wildcat Creek (A), Turtle Neck Creek (B), Mustang Branch (C), McCall Branch (D), Spring Creek (E), Panther Creek (F), North Prong Hords Creek (G), Live Oak Branch (H), Grape Creek (I). Display/hide their locations on the map
Parks in Talpa include: Friendship Park (1), Flat Rock Park (2), Lakeside Park (3). Display/hide their locations on the map
|This place:||2.2 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.5% of all households
- Gay men: 0.0% of all households
Residents with income below the poverty level in 2009:
Residents with income below 50% of the poverty level in 2009:
Talpa compared to Texas state average:
- Median house value significantly below state average.
- Unemployed percentage below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age significantly above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Renting percentage below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
- Number of college students significantly below state average.
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (41%)
- Utility gas (26%)
- Electricity (26%)
- Wood (3%)
- Other fuel (3%)
Religion statistics for Talpa CCD (based on Coleman County data)Percentage of population affiliated with a religious congregations: 64.80%
Breakdown of population affiliated with a religious congregations
|Name||Southern Baptist Convention||United Methodist Church||Catholic Church||Churches of Christ||Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)|
|Name||Presbyterian Church (USA)||Seventh-Day Adventist Church||Baptist Missionary Association of America||Episcopal Church||Other|
Tables represent county-level data.
Food Environment Statistics:
|Coleman County:||2.35 / 10,000 pop.|
|Texas:||1.47 / 10,000 pop.|
|Coleman County:||1.18 / 10,000 pop.|
|Texas:||1.11 / 10,000 pop.|
|Coleman County:||8.23 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||3.95 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||11.76 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||6.13 / 10,000 pop.|
8.36% of this county's 2006 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 200530,803 ($ average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2005 and 2006.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2005 and 2006:
|from Brown County, TX||1.02% ($27,000 average AGI)|
|from Taylor County, TX||0.55% ($24,733)|
|from Dallas County, TX||0.40% ($22,636)|
8.09% of this county's 2005 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 200626,303 ($ average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2005 and 2006.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2005 and 2006:
Strongest AM radio stations in Talpa:
- KKYX (680 AM; 50 kW; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Owner: CXR HOLDINGS, INC.)
- WBAP (820 AM; 50 kW; FORT WORTH, TX; Owner: WBAP-KSCS OPERATING, LTD.)
- KTKR (760 AM; 50 kW; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Owner: CCB TEXAS LICENSES, L.P.)
- KGKL (960 AM; 5 kW; SAN ANGELO, TX; Owner: KGKL, INC.)
- KAHZ (1360 AM; 50 kW; HURST, TX)
- KESS (1270 AM; 50 kW; FORT WORTH, TX; Owner: KESS-AM LICENSE CORP.)
- KRUN (1400 AM; 1 kW; BALLINGER, TX; Owner: GRAHAM BROTHERS COMM., L.L.C.)
- WOAI (1200 AM; 50 kW; SAN ANTONIO, TX; Owner: CCB TEXAS LICENSES, L.P.)
- KRLD (1080 AM; 50 kW; DALLAS, TX; Owner: TEXAS INFINITY BROADCASTING L.P.)
- KSTA (1000 AM; daytime; 0 kW; COLEMAN, TX; Owner: WATTS COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- KZMP (1540 AM; 50 kW; UNIVERSITY PARK, TX; Owner: ENTRAVISION HOLDINGS, LLC)
- KEAN (1470 AM; 5 kW; ABILENE, TX; Owner: CCB TEXAS LICENSES, L.P.)
- KFXR (1190 AM; 50 kW; DALLAS, TX; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Talpa:
- KXYL-FM (96.9 FM; BROWNWOOD, TX; Owner: WATTS COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- KXCT (102.3 FM; COLEMAN, TX; Owner: WATTS COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- KELI (98.7 FM; SAN ANGELO, TX; Owner: KGKL, INC.)
- KEYJ-FM (107.9 FM; ABILENE, TX; Owner: CCB TEXAS LICENSES, L.P.)
- KORQ (96.1 FM; WINTERS, TX; Owner: DOUD MEDIA GROUP)
- KOXE (101.3 FM; BROWNWOOD, TX; Owner: BROWN COUNTY BROADCASTING CO.)
- KKCN (103.1 FM; BALLINGER, TX; Owner: GRAHAM BROTHERS COMM., L.L.C.)
TV broadcast stations around Talpa:
- KLST (Channel 8; SAN ANGELO, TX; Owner: JEWELL TELEVISION CORPORATION)
- KXVA (Channel 15; ABILENE, TX; Owner: STAR BROADCASTING LIMITED)
- KKCP-LP (Channel 50; BALLINGER-COLEMAN, TX; Owner: PRIME TIME CHRISTIAN B/CING., INC.)
Talpa fatal accident list:
FCC Registered Cell Phone Towers:3 (See the full list of FCC Registered Cell Phone Towers in Talpa)
FCC Registered Antenna Towers:27 (See the full list of FCC Registered Antenna Towers)
FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers:1
- 3 Miles North East (Lat: 31.810972 Lon: -99.692278), Type: Tower, Structure height: 128 m, Call Sign: WPCB271
Assigned Frequencies: 854.837 MHz, 854.862 MHz, 855.112 MHz, 855.137 MHz, 855.187 MHz, 855.362 MHz, 855.412 MHz, 855.437 MHz, 855.587 MHz, 855.637 MHz... (+24 more)
Grant Date: 08/17/2005, Expiration Date: 10/17/2015, Certifier: Roy W Paxson
Registrant: Aepsc, 1 Riverside Plaza, Columbus, OH 43215, Phone: (614) 716-5874, Fax: (614) 716-3535, Email:
FCC Registered Microwave Towers:3
- Talpa TS, 3 Miles North East (Lat: 31.810972 Lon: -99.692278), Type: Tower, Structure height: 128 m, Call Sign: WQGL506
Assigned Frequencies: 6372.67 MHz
Grant Date: 02/22/2007, Expiration Date: 02/22/2017, Certifier: Jason D Griffith
Registrant: American Electric Power Service Corporation, One Riverside Plaza, Columbus, OH 43215, Phone: (918) 599-2858, Fax: (614) 716-3535, Email:
- 1219164, 478 County Road 412 (Talpa #35996) (Lat: 31.783361 Lon: -99.684528), Type: Tower, Structure height: 122.5 m, Overall height: 127.7 m, Call Sign: WQKW383
Assigned Frequencies: 5945.20 MHz, 6034.15 MHz, 11245.0 MHz, 11285.0 MHz
Grant Date: 10/06/2009, Expiration Date: 10/06/2019, Certifier: Christopher M Brooks
Registrant: Conterra Ultra Broadband, LLC, 2101 Rexford Rd, Ste 200e, Charlotte, NC 28211, Phone: (704) 936-1801, Fax: (704) 936-1801, Email:
- STATION, 5 Mi Ese Of (Lat: 31.738750 Lon: -99.642556), Overall height: 87.8 m, Call Sign: KDS24
Assigned Frequencies: 6645.00 MHz, 6585.00 MHz
Grant Date: 07/30/1999, Expiration Date: 09/16/2009, Cancellation Date: 04/20/2009, Certifier: Jeffery D Morris
Registrant: Alon Usa, LP, 200 Refinery Road, Big Spring, TX 79720, Phone: (432) 264-5415, Fax: (432) 264-5425, Email:
FAA Registered Aircraft:1
- Aircraft: CESSNA T210L (Category: Land, Seats: 6, Weight: Up to 12,499 Pounds, Speed: 141 mph), Engine: CONT MOTOR TSIO-520 SER (300 HP) (Reciprocating)
N-Number: 2616S , Serial Number: 21061342, Year manufactured: 1976, Airworthiness Date: 05/18/1976
Registrant (Individual): James Stephen Kemp, 388 Pr 4431, Talpa, TX 76882
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 2