|Median resident age:||45.8 years|
|Virginia median age:||35.1 years|
Zip codes: 24651.
Tazewell town income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2012: $114,376 (it was $65,800 in 2000)
Median gross rent in 2012: $577.
- White alone - 4,155 (89.8%)
- Black alone - 310 (6.7%)
- Hispanic - 59 (1.3%)
- Two or more races - 54 (1.2%)
- Asian alone - 33 (0.7%)
- American Indian alone - 8 (0.2%)
- Other race alone - 8 (0.2%)
|Good butcher shop in Tazewell County? (2 replies)|
|Move to Bland Co, Tazewell, Giles or Wythe asap! (4 replies)|
|Official Reckless Driving Thread (1353 replies)|
|Things To Do in Hampton Roads & Nearby Communities (170 replies)|
|Advice for 1st time home buyer please! (14 replies)|
|Southern accents in Virginia (19 replies)|
Latest news from Tazewell, VA collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: United States (19.1%), German (15.8%), Irish (15.6%), English (13.2%), Scotch-Irish (3.8%), Italian (1.4%).
Current Local Time: EST time zone
Incorporated in 1866
Elevation: 2519 feet
Land area: 4.04 square miles.
Population density: 1,123 people per square mile(low).
For population 25 years and over in Tazewell:
- High school or higher: 82.3%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 21.5%
- Graduate or professional degree: 8.5%
- Unemployed: 20.6%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 23.6 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Tazewell town:
- Never married: 14.7%
- Now married: 54.3%
- Separated: 4.2%
- Widowed: 10.2%
- Divorced: 16.6%
63 residents are foreign born
According to our research of Virginia and other state lists there were 39 registered sex offenders living in Tazewell, Virginia as of May 04, 2015.
The ratio of number of residents in Tazewell to the number of sex offenders is 116 to 1.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with mortgages in 2012: $896 (0.6%)
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with no mortgage in 2012: $673 (0.7%)
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Johnson City, TN (72.4 miles , pop. 55,469).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Greensboro, NC (119.0 miles , pop. 223,891).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Philadelphia, PA (397.7 miles , pop. 1,517,550).
Nearest cities: Gratton, VA (2.4 miles ), Springville, VA (2.8 miles ), Cucumber, WV (3.5 miles) , Berwind, WV (3.6 miles ), Cedar Bluff, VA (3.7 miles ), Claypool Hill, VA (3.7 miles ), War, WV (3.9 miles ), Anawalt, WV (3.9 miles ).
Latitude: 37.13 N, Longitude: 81.52 W
Daytime population change due to commuting: +842 (+17.8%)
Workers who live and work in this town: 792 (45.0%)
Area code: 276
|Crime rates in Tazewell by Year|
|City-data.com crime rate (higher means more crime, U.S. average = 298.9)||200.0||246.7||169.4||219.6||224.9||194.6||192.1||171.8||126.6||236.8||140.7||205.8|
(click on a table row to update graph)
Crime rate in Tazewell detailed stats: murders, rapes, robberies, assaults, burglaries, thefts, arson
|Officers per 1,000 residents here:||2.80|
Unemployment by year (%)
Historical housing units
Population change in the 1990s: -73 (-1.7%).
- Mining, quarrying, and oil and gas extraction (12%)
- Public administration (11%)
- Health care and social assistance (10%)
- Construction (10%)
- Transportation and warehousing (9%)
- Retail trade (8%)
- Educational services (7%)
- Health care and social assistance (24%)
- Educational services (17%)
- Retail trade (15%)
- Public administration (11%)
- Other services, except public administration (8%)
- Finance and insurance (5%)
- Professional, scientific, and technical services (5%)
- Electrical equipment mechanics and other installation, maintenance, and repair occupations including supervisors (7%)
- Driver/sales workers and truck drivers (6%)
- Other sales and related workers including supervisors (6%)
- Sales representatives, services, wholesale and manufacturing (4%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (4%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (4%)
- Retail sales workers except cashiers (3%)
- Preschool, kindergarten, elementary and middle school teachers (8%)
- Registered nurses (6%)
- Cashiers (6%)
- Bookkeeping, accounting, and auditing clerks (5%)
- Secretaries and administrative assistants (5%)
- Other sales and related workers including supervisors (5%)
- Financial clerks except bookkeeping, accounting, and auditing clerks (4%)
Average climate in Tazewell, Virginia
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Earthquake activity:Tazewell-area historical earthquake activity is slightly above Virginia state average. It is 81% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 7/27/1980 at 18:52:21, a magnitude 5.2 (5.1 MB, 4.7 MS, 5.0 UK, 5.2 UK, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 152.2 miles away from the city center
On 11/2/2006 at 17:53:02, a magnitude 4.3 (4.3 MB, Depth: 0.6 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 22.6 miles away from Tazewell center
On 11/23/2006 at 10:42:57, a magnitude 4.3 (4.3 MB, 4.3 LG) earthquake occurred 25.2 miles away from the city center
On 6/29/1996 at 19:30:42, a magnitude 4.1 (4.1 MB, 3.9 LG, Depth: 0.6 mi) earthquake occurred 24.1 miles away from the city center
On 11/30/1973 at 07:48:41, a magnitude 4.7 (4.7 MB, 4.6 ML) earthquake occurred 164.0 miles away from Tazewell center
On 9/7/1988 at 02:28:09, a magnitude 4.6 (4.5 MB, 4.6 LG) earthquake occurred 147.1 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Tazewell County (15) is greater than the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 12
Emergencies Declared: 3
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 7, Storms: 7, Winter Storms: 5, Snowstorms: 2, Tornadoes: 2, Blizzard: 1, Drought: 1, Heavy Rain: 1, Hurricane: 1, Ice Storm: 1, Mudslide: 1, Snowfall: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Birthplace of: Billy Baldwin (baseball) - Major League Baseball player, Kathryn Harrold - Film actor, Francis A. Hopkins - Politician, Fred M. Wilcox - Film director, Johnny Watson (baseball) - Baseball player.
Hospitals and medical centers in Tazewell:
Airports located in Tazewell:
- Burkes Garden Airport (Runways: 1)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Tazewell:
- Wytheville Community College (about 28 miles; Wytheville, VA; Full-time enrollment: 2,193)
- Concord University (about 35 miles; Athens, WV; FT enrollment: 2,698)
- New River Community College (about 46 miles; Dublin, VA; FT enrollment: 3,007)
- New River Community and Technical College (about 49 miles; Beckley, WV; FT enrollment: 2,234)
- King University (about 52 miles; Bristol, TN; FT enrollment: 2,472)
- Radford University (about 54 miles; Radford, VA; FT enrollment: 9,426)
- Virginia Polytechnic Institute and State University (about 61 miles; Blacksburg, VA; FT enrollment: 30,984)
Public high school in Tazewell:
- Tazewell High School (Students: 673; Location: 627 EAST FINCASTLE; Grades: 9-12)
Public elementary/middle schools in Tazewell:
- Tazewell Elementary School (Students: 633; Location: 110 MAPLEWOOD LANE; Grades: PK-5)
- Tazewell Middle School (Students: 505; Location: 100 BULLDOG LANE; Grades: 6-8)
- North Tazewell Elementary School (Students: 329; Location: 300 RIVERSIDE DR; Grades: PK-5)
- Springville Elementary School (Students: 187; Location: 144 SCHOOLHOUSE ROAD; Grades: PK-5)
- Tazewell Co Career & Tech Center School (Location: 114 MAPLEWEOOD LANE)
Notable locations in Tazewell: Tazewell County Public Library (A), Tazewell County Administration Building (B). Display/hide their locations on the map
Churches in Tazewell include: Gospel Tabernacle (A), Mountain View Church (B), Fincastle Baptist Church (C), Main Street United Methodist Church (D), Tazewell Christian Church (E). Display/hide their locations on the map
Cemeteries: Watts Cemetery (1), Maplewood Cemetery (2). Display/hide their locations on the map
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Whitley Branch (A), South Fork Clinch River (B), North Fork Clinch River (C), Cavitts Creek (D), Lincolnshire Branch (E). Display/hide their locations on the map
Tourist attraction: Higginbotham House Museum (Pisgah Road).
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2012 was 72.8. This is about average.
Ozone [ppb] level in 2012 was 30.3. This is about average. Closest monitor was 19.2 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM10) [µg/m3] level in 2000 was 22.0. This is about average. Closest monitor was 1.7 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM2.5) [µg/m3] level in 2005 was 14.5. This is significantly worse than average. Closest monitor was 18.4 miles away from the city center.
(15.0% for White Non-Hispanic residents, 11.2% for Black residents, 46.8% for two or more races residents)
|This town:||2.2 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.2% of all households
- Gay men: 0.1% of all households
63 people in group homes intended for adults in 2010
People in group quarters in Tazewell in 2000:
- 226 people in local jails and other confinement facilities (including police lockups)
- 197 people in nursing homes
- 63 people in other group homes
Tazewell compared to Virginia state average:
- Median household income below state average.
- Median house value below state average.
- Unemployed percentage above state average.
- Black race population percentage below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age significantly above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- House age above state average.
- Institutionalized population percentage above state average.
Banks with branches in Tazewell (2011 data):
- New Peoples Bank, Inc.: Tazewell Office Branch at 157 Tazewell Mall Circle, branch established on 2002/09/26. Info updated 2007/08/21: Bank assets: $781.6 mil, Deposits: $709.1 mil, headquarters in Honaker, VA, negative income in the last year, Commercial Lending Specialization, 28 total offices, Holding Company: New Peoples Bankshares, Inc.
- Carter Bank & Trust: Tazewell Branch at 901 East Fincastle Turnpike, branch established on 2005/06/13. Info updated 2007/02/23: Bank assets: $3,970.4 mil, Deposits: $3,610.0 mil, headquarters in Martinsville, VA, positive income, Commercial Lending Specialization, 123 total offices
- Branch Banking and Trust Company: Tazewell Branch at Hillsboro & Market Sts, branch established on 1902/02/17. Info updated 2010/03/29: Bank assets: $168,867.6 mil, Deposits: $127,549.5 mil, headquarters in Winston Salem, NC, positive income, Commercial Lending Specialization, 1793 total offices, Holding Company: Bb&T Corporation
- First Community Bank: East Riverside Branch at 643 East Riverside Drive, branch established on 1999/04/30. Info updated 2011/07/12: Bank assets: $2,144.1 mil, Deposits: $1,561.3 mil, headquarters in Bluefield, VA, positive income, Commercial Lending Specialization, 58 total offices, Holding Company: First Community Bancshares, Inc.
- The National Bank of Blacksburg: Tazewell Main Street Branch at 309 East Main Street, branch established on 1889/09/01. Info updated 2006/06/01: Bank assets: $1,063.8 mil, Deposits: $919.4 mil, headquarters in Blacksburg, VA, positive income, Commercial Lending Specialization, 25 total offices, Holding Company: National Bankshares, Inc.
Educational Attainment (%) in 2012
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2012
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Electricity (91%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (4%)
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (2%)
- Coal or coke (1%)
- Wood (1%)
- No fuel used (1%)
Presidential Elections Results
1996 Presidential Elections Results
2000 Presidential Elections Results
2004 Presidential Elections Results
2008 Presidential Elections Results
2012 Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Tazewell town (based on Tazewell County data)Percentage of population affiliated with a religious congregations: 38.75%
Breakdown of population affiliated with a religious congregations
|Name||United Methodist Church||Southern Baptist Convention||Christian Churches and Churches of Christ||Assemblies of God||Church of God (Cleveland, Tennessee)|
|Name||Presbyterian Church (USA)||Christian Church (Disciples of Christ)||International Pentecostal Holiness Church||Catholic Church||Other|
Tables represent county-level data.
Food Environment Statistics:
|Tazewell County:||2.06 / 10,000 pop.|
|Virginia:||2.03 / 10,000 pop.|
|This county:||0.69 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||0.17 / 10,000 pop.|
|Tazewell County:||0.46 / 10,000 pop.|
|Virginia:||1.43 / 10,000 pop.|
|Tazewell County:||9.83 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||4.03 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||3.43 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||7.65 / 10,000 pop.|
|Local government employment and payroll (March 2012)|
|Function||Full-time employees||Monthly full-time payroll||Average yearly full-time wage||Part-time employees||Monthly part-time payroll|
|Other Government Administration||5||$16,424||$39,418||2||$520|
|Police Protection - Officers||10||$50,463||$60,556||0||$0|
|Police - Other||1||$2,740||$32,880||2||$1,753|
|Streets and Highways||11||$25,956||$28,316||0||$0|
|Parks and Recreation||0||$0||11||$18,363|
|Other and Unallocable||5||$9,859||$23,662||0||$0|
|Totals for Government||41||$132,385||$38,747||17||$22,659|
4.43% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($35,406 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Mercer County, WV||0.82% ($27,810 average AGI)|
|from Buchanan County, VA||0.60% ($37,341)|
|from Russell County, VA||0.43% ($36,951)|
4.85% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($32,211 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Tazewell:
- WTZE (1470 AM; daytime; 5 kW; TAZEWELL, VA; Owner: MONTEREY LICENSES, LLC)
- WBDY (1190 AM; daytime; 10 kW; BLUEFIELD, VA; Owner: MONTEREY LICENSES, LLC)
- WYRV (770 AM; daytime; 5 kW; CEDAR BLUFF, VA; Owner: FAITH CHRISTIAN MUSIC BROADCASTING MINISTRIES, INC.)
- WHIS (1440 AM; 5 kW; BLUEFIELD, WV; Owner: MONTEREY LICENSES, LLC)
- WELC (1150 AM; daytime; 5 kW; WELCH, WV; Owner: POCAHONTAS BROADCASTING CO.)
- WGTH (540 AM; 1 kW; RICHLANDS, VA; Owner: HIGH KNOB BROADCASTERS, INC.)
- WXMY (1600 AM; daytime; 5 kW; SALTVILLE, VA; Owner: CONTINENTAL MEDIA GROUP, LLC)
- WTRU (830 AM; 50 kW; KERNERSVILLE, NC; Owner: TRUTH BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WZAP (690 AM; 10 kW; BRISTOL, VA; Owner: RAM COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WKNV (890 AM; daytime; 10 kW; FAIRLAWN, VA; Owner: POSITIVE RADIO GROUP, INC.)
- WIWS (1070 AM; daytime; 10 kW; BECKLEY, WV; Owner: SOUTHERN COMMUNICATIONS CORPORATION)
- WNRG (940 AM; 5 kW; GRUNDY, VA; Owner: VIRGINIA-KENTUCKY BROADCASTING CO., INC)
- WHKY (1290 AM; 50 kW; HICKORY, NC; Owner: LONG COMMUNICATIONS, LLC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Tazewell:
- WHQX (107.7 FM; CEDAR BLUFF, VA; Owner: MONTEREY LICENSES, LLC)
- WKQY (100.1 FM; TAZEWELL, VA; Owner: MONTEREY LICENSES, LLC)
- WMEV-FM (93.9 FM; MARION, VA; Owner: HOLSTON VALLEY BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WOLD-FM (102.5 FM; MARION, VA; Owner: EMERALD SOUND, INC.)
- WHAJ (104.5 FM; BLUEFIELD, WV; Owner: MONTEREY LICENSES, LLC)
- WHKX (106.3 FM; BLUEFIELD, VA; Owner: MONTEREY LICENSES, LLC)
- WKOY-FM (100.9 FM; PRINCETON, WV; Owner: MONTEREY LICENSES, LLC)
- WGTH-FM (105.5 FM; RICHLANDS, VA; Owner: HIGH KNOB BROADCASTERS, INC.)
- WPIB (91.1 FM; BLUEFIELD, WV; Owner: POSITIVE ALTERNATIVE RADIO, INC.)
- WSTG (95.9 FM; PRINCETON, WV; Owner: PRINCETON BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WVTR (91.9 FM; MARION, VA; Owner: VIRGINIA TECH FOUNDATION INC)
- WRIC-FM (100.7 FM; RICHLANDS, VA; Owner: PEGGY SUE BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WHCB (91.5 FM; BRISTOL, TN; Owner: APPALACHIAN EDUC. COMMUNICATION CORP)
- WCQR-FM (88.3 FM; KINGSPORT, TN; Owner: POSITIVE ALTERNATIVE RADIO, INC.)
- WETS-FM (89.5 FM; JOHNSON CITY, TN; Owner: EAST TENNESSEE STATE UNIVERSITY)
- WXBQ-FM (96.9 FM; BRISTOL, TN; Owner: BRISTOL BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- KHPR (88.1 FM; HONOLULU, HI; Owner: HAWAII PUBLIC RADIO)
- WZVA (103.5 FM; MARION, VA; Owner: T.E.C.O. BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WPJO (99.3 FM; ELIZABETHTON, TN; Owner: BRISTOL BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- WBRF (98.1 FM; GALAX, VA; Owner: BLUE RIDGE RADIO, INC.)
TV broadcast stations around Tazewell:
- WMSY-TV (Channel 52; MARION, VA; Owner: BLUE RIDGE PUBLIC TELEVISION, INC.)
- WVVA (Channel 6; BLUEFIELD, WV; Owner: WVVA TELEVISON, INC.)
- WLFB (Channel 40; BLUEFIELD, WV; Owner: LIVING FAITH MINISTRIES, INC.)
Fatal road traffic accident statistics for 1975 - 2011 (per 100,000 population)
- Fatal accident count: 6
- Vehicles involved in fatal accidents: 8
- Fatal accidents caused by drunken drivers: 1
- Fatalities: 6
- Persons involved in fatal accidents: 23
- Pedestrians involved in fatal accidents: 0
- Fatal accident count: 191
- Vehicles involved in fatal accidents: 284
- Fatal accidents caused by drunken drivers: 68
- Fatalities: 208
- Persons involved in fatal accidents: 438
- Pedestrians involved in fatal accidents: 30
Tazewell fatal accident list:
Aug 3, 2008 08:35 PM, Route 644, Sr-655, Lat: 37.23416, Lon: -81.48028, Vehicles: 1, Persons: 1, Fatalities: 1, Drunken drivers: 1
Sep 5, 2008 04:05 PM, Sr-67, Rt 620, Lat: 37.12693, Lon: -81.78635, Vehicles: 1, Persons: 1, Fatalities: 1
Jun 7, 1989 07:00 PM, Westmainst, Vehicles: 2, Persons: 7, Fatalities: 1
Nov 1, 1980 05:15 PM, Vehicles: 1, Persons: 2, Fatalities: 1
Jul 9, 1976 10:26 AM, Vehicles: 1, Persons: 6, Fatalities: 1
FCC Registered Cell Phone Towers:1 (See the full list of FCC Registered Cell Phone Towers in Tazewell)
FCC Registered Antenna Towers:31 (See the full list of FCC Registered Antenna Towers)
FCC Registered Commercial Land Mobile Towers:2 (See the full list of FCC Registered Commercial Land Mobile Towers in Tazewell, VA)
FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers:10 (See the full list of FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers)
FCC Registered Microwave Towers:6 (See the full list of FCC Registered Microwave Towers in this town)
FCC Registered Paging Towers:2 (See the full list of FCC Registered Paging Towers)
FCC Registered Maritime Coast & Aviation Ground Towers:1 (See the full list of FCC Registered Maritime Coast & Aviation Ground Towers)
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses:34 (See the full list of FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses in Tazewell)
FAA Registered Aircraft:5
- Aircraft: PIPER PA-28-180 (Category: Land, Seats: 4, Weight: Up to 12,499 Pounds, Speed: 107 mph), Engine: LYCOMING O&VO-360 SER (180 HP) (Reciprocating)
N-Number: 2599R , Serial Number: 28-5656, Year manufactured: 1969, Airworthiness Date: 10/01/1969
Registrant (Individual): James G French, 101 Jefferson St, Tazewell, VA 24651
- Aircraft: BEECH F35 (Category: Land, Seats: 4, Weight: Up to 12,499 Pounds, Speed: 131 mph), Engine: CONT MOTOR E225 SERIES (225 HP) (Reciprocating)
N-Number: 3810B , Serial Number: D-4070, Year manufactured: 1955, Airworthiness Date: 06/03/1957
Registrant (Co-Owned): George H Shively, 473 Montclair Circle Rd, N Tazewell, VA 24630, Other Owners: Kathleen J Shively
- Aircraft: CESSNA 421C (Category: Land, Engines: 2, Seats: 8, Weight: Up to 12,499 Pounds, Speed: 90 mph), Engine: Reciprocating
N-Number: 421CJ , Serial Number: 421C0232
Registrant (Corporation): Cla Air Inc, Po Box 539, Tazewell, VA 24651
- Aircraft: PIPER J3C-65 (Category: Land, Seats: 2, Weight: Up to 12,499 Pounds, Speed: 67 mph), Engine: CONT MOTOR A&C75 SERIES (75 HP) (Reciprocating)
N-Number: 51535 , Serial Number: 10459, Year manufactured: 1943
Registrant (Individual): Claude Hamilton, North, Tazewell, VA 24651
- Aircraft: CESSNA 175A (Category: Land, Seats: 4, Weight: Up to 12,499 Pounds, Speed: 105 mph), Engine: CONT MOTOR GO-300 SERIES (175 HP) (Reciprocating)
N-Number: 7963T , Serial Number: 56663, Year manufactured: 1960, Airworthiness Date: 06/27/1960
Registrant (Individual): Susan J Sawyers, 3700 Beartown Rd, Tazewell, VA 24651
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 22
- Hazardous Condition: 85
- Good Intent Call: 1
Incident types - Tazewell
|Most common first names in Tazewell, VA among deceased individuals|
|Most common last names in Tazewell, VA among deceased individuals|
|Last name||Count||Lived (average)|
|Businesses in Tazewell, VA|
|FedEx||2||Long John Silver's||1|