We are giving away $1200 in prizes - enter simply by sending us your own city pictures!
|Median resident age:||45.6 years|
|Maine median age:||43.0 years|
Zip codes: 04984.
Estimated per capita income in 2015: $25,289 (it was $16,905 in 2000)
Temple town income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2015: $132,156 (it was $75,000 in 2000)
Races in Temple, ME (2010)
- 51697.7%White alone
- 61.1%American Indian alone
- 20.4%Two or more races
|Abandoned Buildings, Asylums, Creepy, Unique, Odd Places?? (38 replies)|
|Houlton Maine? (37 replies)|
|Middle Eastern restaurant (12 replies)|
|Choice in Maine? Caribou or Houlton? (17 replies)|
|Want to play? (182 replies)|
|Greenville International Seaplane Fly-In 2010 (4 replies)|
Latest news from Temple, ME collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: English (22.7%), French (16.1%), United States (15.9%), Irish (12.1%), German (10.1%), Scottish (6.1%).
Current Local Time: EST time zone
Incorporated on 06/20/1803
Elevation: 575 feet
Land area: 35.6 square miles.
Population density: 15 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Temple:
- High school or higher: 84.4%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 23.8%
- Graduate or professional degree: 4.9%
- Unemployed: 5.0%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 22.1 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Temple town:
- Never married: 22.7%
- Now married: 60.1%
- Separated: 3.1%
- Widowed: 4.6%
- Divorced: 9.6%
9 residents are foreign born
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|Temple town:||0.9% ($700)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Portland, ME (70.3 miles , pop. 64,249).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Boston, MA (168.4 miles , pop. 589,141).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Bronx, NY (322.4 miles , pop. 1,332,650).
Nearest cities: Farmington, ME (2.4 miles ), Wilton, ME (2.5 miles ), Avon, ME (2.8 miles ), Weld, ME (3.0 miles ), Strong, ME (3.1 miles ), Carthage, ME (3.1 miles ), Industry, ME (3.2 miles ), New Vineyard, ME (3.2 miles ).
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1997: 3 buildings, average cost: $91,700
- 1998: 6 buildings, average cost: $101,700
- 1999: 2 buildings, average cost: $105,500
- 2000: 2 buildings, average cost: $118,000
- 2003: 3 buildings, average cost: $132,800
- 2004: 5 buildings, average cost: $137,600
- 2005: 4 buildings, average cost: $137,600
- 2006: 3 buildings, average cost: $137,600
- 2007: 2 buildings, average cost: $137,600
- 2009: 5 buildings, average cost: $178,900
- 2010: 5 buildings, average cost: $178,900
- 2011: 3 buildings, average cost: $172,800
Number of permits per 10,000 residents
Average cost (in $1000s)
Latitude: 44.68 N, Longitude: 70.26 W
Area code commonly used in this area: 207
Unemployment by year (%)
- Educational services (13%)
- Construction (11%)
- Wood products (8%)
- Paper (7%)
- Finance and insurance (6%)
- Public administration (6%)
- Arts, entertainment, and recreation (5%)
- Health care (19%)
- Educational services (16%)
- Accommodation and food services (7%)
- Department and other general merchandise stores (6%)
- Arts, entertainment, and recreation (6%)
- Leather and allied products (5%)
- Professional, scientific, and technical services (4%)
- Electrical equipment mechanics and other installation, maintenance, and repair occupations including supervisors (9%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (7%)
- Vehicle and mobile equipment mechanics, installers, and repairers (5%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (4%)
- Sales representatives, services, wholesale and manufacturing (4%)
- Driver/sales workers and truck drivers (4%)
- Carpenters (3%)
- Secretaries and administrative assistants (8%)
- Nursing, psychiatric, and home health aides (7%)
- Other office and administrative support workers including supervisors (6%)
- Other management occupations except farmers and farm managers (5%)
- Other teachers and instructors, education, training, and library occupations (5%)
- Retail sales workers except cashiers (5%)
- Preschool, kindergarten, elementary and middle school teachers (4%)
Average climate in Temple, Maine
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Earthquake activity:Temple-area historical earthquake activity is near Maine state average. It is 92% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 4/20/2002 at 10:50:47, a magnitude 5.2 (5.2 MB, 4.2 MS, 5.2 MW, 5.0 MW, Depth: 6.8 mi, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 170.9 miles away from the city center
On 10/7/1983 at 10:18:46, a magnitude 5.3 (5.1 MB, 5.3 LG, 5.1 ML) earthquake occurred 208.2 miles away from Temple center
On 1/19/1982 at 00:14:42, a magnitude 4.7 (4.5 MB, 4.7 MD, 4.5 LG, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 105.4 miles away from the city center
On 10/3/2006 at 00:07:38, a magnitude 4.3 (3.8 MB, 3.8 MW, 4.3 LG, Depth: 4.0 mi) earthquake occurred 106.9 miles away from the city center
On 2/26/1999 at 03:38:43, a magnitude 3.8 (3.8 LG, Depth: 2.0 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: II - III) earthquake occurred 39.0 miles away from Temple center
On 1/17/2000 at 08:16:20, a magnitude 3.6 (3.6 LG, 3.4 LG, Depth: 10.1 mi) earthquake occurred 11.7 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), duration magnitude (MD), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Franklin County (25) is a lot greater than the US average (13).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 18
Emergencies Declared: 7
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 15, Storms: 13, Snows: 7, Heavy Rains: 2, Hurricanes: 2, Blizzard: 1, Ice Storm: 1, Landslide: 1, Snowfall: 1, Tropical Storm: 1, Wind: 1, Winter Storm: 1, Other: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Birthplace of: John F. Dryden - Businessman and philanthropist.
Hospitals and medical centers near Temple:
- EDGEWOOD REHAB AND LIVING CTR (Nursing Home, about 6 miles away; FARMINGTON, ME)
- ORCHARD PARK REHAB AND LIVING (Nursing Home, about 6 miles away; FARMINGTON, ME)
- SANDY RIVER CENTER (Nursing Home, about 7 miles away; FARMINGTON, ME)
- DIXFIELD HEALTH CARE CENTER (Nursing Home, about 14 miles away; DIXFIELD, ME)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Temple:
- University of Maine at Farmington (about 6 miles; Farmington, ME; Full-time enrollment: 2,036)
- University of Maine at Augusta (about 33 miles; Augusta, ME; FT enrollment: 3,204)
- Saint Joseph's College of Maine (about 61 miles; Standish, ME; FT enrollment: 2,010)
- University of Southern Maine (about 71 miles; Portland, ME; FT enrollment: 6,647)
- Southern Maine Community College (about 72 miles; South Portland, ME; FT enrollment: 4,666)
- Husson University (about 73 miles; Bangor, ME; FT enrollment: 2,421)
- University of Maine (about 80 miles; Orono, ME; FT enrollment: 8,931)
Notable location: Temple Fire Department (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Cemeteries: Intervale Cemetery (1), Savage Cemetery (2), Mitchell Cemetery (3), Village Cemetery (4), Staples Cemetery (5). Display/hide their locations on the map
Lakes and reservoirs: Drury Pond (A), Grants Pond (B), Holman Pond (C), Jessie Pond (D), Mud Pond (E), Staples Pond (F). Display/hide their locations on the map
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Gus Mitchell Brook (A), Henry Mitchell Brook (B), Edes Brook (C), Conant Brook (D). Display/hide their locations on the map
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2013 was 38.2. This is significantly better than average.
Sulfur Dioxide (SO2) [ppb] level in 2004 was 3.52. This is significantly worse than average. Closest monitor was 11.9 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM10) [µg/m3] level in 2004 was 11.7. This is significantly better than average. Closest monitor was 6.1 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM2.5) [µg/m3] level in 2013 was 7.53. This is better than average. Closest monitor was 16.7 miles away from the city center.
|This town:||2.3 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.9% of all households
- Gay men: 0.0% of all households
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Temple town (based on Franklin County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Franklin County:||4.68 / 10,000 pop.|
|Maine:||2.80 / 10,000 pop.|
|This county:||0.33 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||0.14 / 10,000 pop.|
|Franklin County:||3.01 / 10,000 pop.|
|Maine:||2.20 / 10,000 pop.|
|Franklin County:||6.69 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||5.75 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||14.38 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||11.02 / 10,000 pop.|
5.53% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($33,698 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Androscoggin County, ME||0.90% ($26,206 average AGI)|
|from Kennebec County, ME||0.54% ($29,552)|
|from Cumberland County, ME||0.49% ($38,396)|
5.73% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($32,388 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Temple:
- WTME (780 AM; 10 kW; RUMFORD, ME; Owner: MOUNTAIN VALLEY BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WSKW (1160 AM; 10 kW; SKOWHEGAN, ME; Owner: MOUNTAIN WIRELESS, INCORPORATED)
- WFAU (1280 AM; 5 kW; GARDINER, ME; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WRKO (680 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WMTW (870 AM; 10 kW; GORHAM, ME; Owner: RADIO PARTNERS OF MAINE, L.P.)
- WEEI (850 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WLAM (1470 AM; 5 kW; LEWISTON, ME; Owner: RADIO PARTNERS OF MAINE, L.P.)
- WCHP (760 AM; 35 kW; CHAMPLAIN, NY; Owner: CHAMPLAIN RADIO, INC.)
- WGAN (560 AM; 5 kW; PORTLAND, ME; Owner: SAGA COMMUNICATIONS OF NEW ENGLAND, LLC)
- WBZ (1030 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WCRN (830 AM; 50 kW; WORCESTER, MA; Owner: CARTER BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WNNZ (640 AM; 50 kW; WESTFIELD, MA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WZON (620 AM; 5 kW; BANGOR, ME; Owner: THE ZONE CORPORATION)
Strongest FM radio stations in Temple:
- WKTJ-FM (99.3 FM; FARMINGTON, ME; Owner: FRANKLIN BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WTOS-FM (105.1 FM; SKOWHEGAN, ME; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WLOB-FM (96.3 FM; RUMFORD, ME; Owner: ATLANTIC COAST RADIO, LLC)
- WTBM (100.7 FM; MEXICO, ME; Owner: MOUNTAIN VALLEY BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WPKQ (103.7 FM; NORTH CONWAY, NH; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WHOM (94.9 FM; MT. WASHINGTON, NH; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WHQO (107.9 FM; SKOWHEGAN, ME; Owner: MOUNTAIN WIRELESS, INC.)
- WIGY (97.5 FM; MADISON, ME; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WMEA (90.1 FM; PORTLAND, ME; Owner: MAINE PUBLIC BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WWWA (95.3 FM; WINSLOW, ME; Owner: LIGHT OF LIFE MINISTRIES, INC.)
- WUMF-FM (100.5 FM; FARMINGTON, ME; Owner: UNIVERSITY OF MAINE SYSTEM)
TV broadcast stations around Temple:
- W21BI (Channel 21; FARMINGTON, ME; Owner: TRINITY BROADCASTING NETWORK)
- WGME-TV (Channel 13; PORTLAND, ME; Owner: WGME LICENSEE, LLC)
Temple fatal accident list:
- National Bridge Inventory (NBI) Statistics
- 2Number of bridges
- 3m10ftTotal length
- $1,340,000Total costs
- 591Total average daily traffic
- 29Total average daily truck traffic
- 887Total future (year 2033) average daily traffic
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses:3
- Call Sign: KA1GPQ, Licensee ID: L00644708, Grant Date: 11/28/1995, Expiration Date: 11/28/2005, Cancellation Date: 11/29/2007, Registrant: George E Lynch Iii, Rfd Box 92, Temple, ME 04984
- Call Sign: KA1JGF, Licensee ID: L00644714, Grant Date: 04/08/2009, Expiration Date: 03/16/2019, Certifier: Kathleen S Lynch, Registrant: Kathleen S Lynch, 23 Center Hill Rd, Temple, ME 04984-3200
- Call Sign: KB1SQJ, Licensee ID: L00644708, Grant Date: 06/25/2009, Expiration Date: 06/25/2019, Certifier: George E Lynch Iii, Registrant: George E Lynch Iii, 23 Center Hill Rd, Temple, ME 04984
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 13
- Hazardous Condition: 3
Incident types - Temple
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (70%)
- Wood (27%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (3%)
Temple compared to Maine state average:
- Unemployed percentage significantly below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage below state average.
- Renting percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
Temple on our top lists:
- #43 on the list of "Top 101 cities with the most residents born in Panama (population 500+)"
Total of 1 patent application in 2008-2017.