We are giving away $1200 in prizes - enter simply by sending us your own city pictures!
- OSM Map
- General Map
- Google Map
- MSN Map
- OSM Map
- General Map
- Google Map
- MSN Map
- OSM Map
- General Map
- Google Map
- MSN Map
- OSM Map
- General Map
- Google Map
- MSN Map
Please wait while loading the map...
|Median resident age:||38.1 years|
|Utah median age:||27.1 years|
Zip code: 84540
Estimated per capita income in 2015: $15,815 (it was $11,596 in 2000)
Thompson CCD income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2015: $214,236 (it was $91,300 in 2000)
Mean prices in 2015: All housing units: $294,073; Detached houses: $320,757; Townhouses or other attached units: $226,541; Mobile homes: $114,852
Races in Thompson, UT (2000)
- 27485.4%White alone
- 51.6%Two or more races
- 30.9%Asian alone
- 10.3%Black alone
- 10.3%American Indian alone
Recent articles from our blog. Our writers, many of them Ph.D. graduates or candidates, create easy-to-read articles on a wide variety of topics.
- The fastest-growing industry sectors in the Northeast are Construction-related Apr 25
- The decline of the U.S. Agriculture industry visualized Apr 23
- The revenues and net sales of Samsonite Apr 21
- Crowfunding is a fast-increasing market Apr 19
- The number of jobs in Construction is falling across the U.S. Apr 17
Current Local Time: MST time zone
Land area: 2740.4 square miles.
Population density: 0.1 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Thompson:
- High school or higher: 74.0%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 16.2%
- Graduate or professional degree: 6.9%
- Unemployed: 4.8%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 13.9 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Thompson CCD:
- Never married: 12.6%
- Now married: 69.4%
- Separated: 0.0%
- Widowed: 11.7%
- Divorced: 6.3%
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|Thompson CCD:||0.4% ($357)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Provo, UT (141.6 miles , pop. 105,166).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Northeast Jefferson, CO (246.2 miles , pop. 450,166).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Phoenix, AZ (400.0 miles , pop. 1,321,045).
Nearest cities: Thompson Springs, UT (2.5 miles) , Castle Valley, UT (4.9 miles ), Moab, UT (5.2 miles ), Uintah and Ouray, UT (5.4 miles) , Green River, UT (5.5 miles ), Spanish Valley, UT (5.8 miles) , Loma, CO (6.7 miles ), Glade Park-Gateway, CO (6.8 miles ).
Latitude: 38.96 N, Longitude: 109.60 W
Area code: 435
Unemployment by year (%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (29%)
- Accommodation and food services (23%)
- Arts, entertainment, and recreation (18%)
- Mining, quarrying, and oil and gas extraction (10%)
- Gasoline stations (5%)
- Used merchandise, gift, novelty, and souvenir, and other miscellaneous stores (5%)
- Motor vehicle and parts dealers (4%)
- Accommodation and food services (39%)
- Construction (18%)
- Gasoline stations (11%)
- Public administration (11%)
- Arts, entertainment, and recreation (7%)
- Finance and insurance (5%)
- Educational services (4%)
- Other management occupations except farmers and farm managers (18%)
- Agricultural workers including supervisors (18%)
- Other construction workers and helpers (10%)
- Cooks and food preparation workers (9%)
- Other food preparation and serving workers including supervisors (6%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (6%)
- Farmers and farm managers (5%)
- Waiters and waitresses (18%)
- Information and record clerks except customer service representatives (18%)
- Cashiers (12%)
- Other protective service workers including supervisors (9%)
- Construction trades workers except carpenters, electricians, painters, plumbers, and construction laborers (9%)
- Other office and administrative support workers including supervisors (7%)
- Financial clerks except bookkeeping, accounting, and auditing clerks (5%)
Average climate in Thompson, Utah
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Earthquake activity:Thompson-area historical earthquake activity is near Utah state average. It is 320% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 10/3/1915 at 06:52:48, a magnitude 7.6 (7.6 UK, Class: Major, Intensity: VIII - XII) earthquake occurred 433.6 miles away from the city center
On 10/28/1983 at 14:06:06, a magnitude 7.3 (6.2 MB, 7.3 MS, 7.0 MW) earthquake occurred 415.7 miles away from Thompson center, causing 2 deaths (2 shaking deaths) and 3 injuries, causing $15,000,000 total damage
On 6/28/1992 at 11:57:34, a magnitude 7.6 (6.2 MB, 7.6 MS, 7.3 MW, Depth: 0.7 mi) earthquake occurred 507.1 miles away from the city center, causing 3 deaths (1 shaking deaths, 2 other deaths) and 400 injuries, causing $100,000,000 total damage and $40,000,000 insured losses
On 3/28/1975 at 02:31:05, a magnitude 6.2 (6.1 MB, 6.0 MS, 6.2 ML, Class: Strong, Intensity: VII - IX) earthquake occurred 260.0 miles away from the city center
On 10/16/1999 at 09:46:44, a magnitude 7.4 (6.3 MB, 7.4 MS, 7.2 MW, 7.3 ML) earthquake occurred 487.7 miles away from Thompson center
On 12/21/1932 at 06:10:09, a magnitude 7.2 (7.2 UK) earthquake occurred 458.8 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: body-wave magnitude (MB), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Grand County (2) is a lot smaller than the US average (13).
Emergencies Declared: 2
Causes of natural disasters: Drought: 1, Hurricane: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Thompson:
- Colorado Mesa University (about 58 miles; Grand Junction, CO; Full-time enrollment: 7,671)
- Snow College (about 111 miles; Ephraim, UT; FT enrollment: 3,224)
- Colorado Mountain College (about 129 miles; Glenwood Springs, CO; FT enrollment: 3,463)
- Brigham Young University-Provo (about 142 miles; Provo, UT; FT enrollment: 33,525)
- Utah Valley University (about 146 miles; Orem, UT; FT enrollment: 24,403)
- Western State Colorado University (about 148 miles; Gunnison, CO; FT enrollment: 2,023)
- Fort Lewis College (about 150 miles; Durango, CO; FT enrollment: 3,631)
Notable locations in Thompson: Gavin Ranch (A), Arches National Park Visitor Center (B), Atlas Mineral Plant (C), Gordon Ranch (D), Hallet Ranch (E), Harley Dome (F), Hatch Ranch (G), Daly (H), Delicate Arch Viewpoint (I), Devils Garden Campground (J), Devils Garden Trailhead (K), Emkay (L), Fiery Furnace Viewpoint (M), La Sal Mountains Viewpoint (N), North Park Avenue Trailhead (O), Panorama Point (P), Potash (Q), Salt Valley Overlook (R), South Park Avenue Trailhead (S), Westwater River Ranger Station and Put In Site (T). Display/hide their locations on the map
Cemeteries: Thompson Cemetery (1), Elgin Cemetery (2), Sego Cemetery (3). Display/hide their locations on the map
Lakes and reservoirs: Holding Pond (A), Twin Pond (B), Tie Pond (C), Dead Sheep Pond (D), Strychnine Pond (E), Rock Corral Reservoir (F), Valley City Reservoir (G), Big Flat Reservoir (H). Display/hide their locations on the map
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Sulphur Creek (A), Potato Creek (B), Tenmile Wash (C), Thompson Wash (D), Fish Creek (E), East Willow Creek (F), West Willow Creek (G), Clear Creek (H), Little Creek (I). Display/hide their locations on the map
Parks in Thompson include: Arches National Park (1), Dead Horse Point State Park (2). Display/hide their locations on the map
|This place:||2.2 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.7% of all households
- Gay men: 0.0% of all households
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Thompson CCD (based on Grand County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Grand County:||2.12 / 10,000 pop.|
|Utah:||1.37 / 10,000 pop.|
|Grand County:||1.06 / 10,000 pop.|
|Utah:||0.41 / 10,000 pop.|
|Grand County:||3.18 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||2.82 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||26.53 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||5.09 / 10,000 pop.|
7.38% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($39,985 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Salt Lake County, UT||1.08% ($39,718 average AGI)|
|from San Juan County, UT||0.47% ($38,765)|
|from Utah County, UT||0.31% ($57,455)|
7.59% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($30,639 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Thompson:
- KNZZ (1100 AM; 50 kW; GRAND JUNCTION, CO; Owner: M B C GRAND BROADCASTING, INC.)
- KJOL (620 AM; 10 kW; GRAND JUNCTION, CO; Owner: UNITED MINISTRIES)
- KOAL (750 AM; 10 kW; PRICE, UT; Owner: EASTERN UTAH BROADCASTING CO.)
- KALL (700 AM; 50 kW; NORTH SALT LAKE CITY, UT; Owner: CITICASTERS LICENSES, L.P.)
- KSLL (1080 AM; daytime; 10 kW; PRICE, UT; Owner: AGAINST THE WIND BROADCASTING, INC.)
- KTNN (660 AM; 50 kW; WINDOW ROCK, AZ; Owner: THE NAVAJO NATION)
- KIQN (1010 AM; 50 kW; TOOELE, UT)
- KSL (1160 AM; 50 kW; SALT LAKE CITY, UT; Owner: BONNEVILLE HOLDING COMPANY)
- KMTI (650 AM; 10 kW; MANTI, UT; Owner: SANPETE COUNTY BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- KLTT (670 AM; 50 kW; COMMERCE CITY, CO; Owner: KLZ RADIO, INC.)
- KKZN (760 AM; 50 kW; THORNTON, CO; Owner: JACOR BROADCASTING OF COLORADO, INC.)
- KHAC (880 AM; 43 kW; TSE BONITO, NM; Owner: WESTERN INDIAN MINISTRIES, INC.)
- KOA (850 AM; 50 kW; DENVER, CO; Owner: JACOR BROADCASTING OF COLORADO, INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Thompson:
- KCYN (97.1 FM; MOAB, UT; Owner: MOAB COMMUNICATIONS, LLC)
- K291AF (106.1 FM; CASTLE VALLEY, UT; Owner: MOAB PUBLIC RADIO, INC.)
- K277AF (103.3 FM; CASTLE VALLEY, ETC., UT; Owner: EDUCATIONAL MEDIA FOUNDATION)
- KEKB (99.9 FM; FRUITA, CO; Owner: CUMULUS LICENSING CORP.)
- K248AJ (97.5 FM; MONTICELLO, UT; Owner: PROCLAIMING CHRIST'S LOVE MINISTRIES)
- K256AD (99.1 FM; PALISADE, CO; Owner: NORTH FORK VALLEY PUBLIC RADIO, INC.)
- K205CK (88.9 FM; GRAND JUNCTION, CO; Owner: CALVARY CHAPEL OF TWIN FALLS, INC.)
- K214CA (90.7 FM; GRAND JUNCTION, CO; Owner: FAMILY STATIONS, INC.)
- KMXY (104.3 FM; GRAND JUNCTION, CO; Owner: CUMULUS LICENSING CORP.)
- KBKL (107.9 FM; GRAND JUNCTION, CO; Owner: CUMULUS LICENSING CORP.)
- KMGJ (93.1 FM; GRAND JUNCTION, CO; Owner: M.B.C. GRAND BROADCASTING, INC.)
- KMOZ-FM (100.7 FM; GRAND JUNCTION, CO; Owner: MBC GRAND BROADCASTING INC)
- KMSA (91.3 FM; GRAND JUNCTION, CO; Owner: MESA STATE COLLEGE)
- KPRN (89.5 FM; GRAND JUNCTION, CO; Owner: PUBLIC BROADCASTING OF COLORADO INC.)
- KLFV (90.3 FM; GRAND JUNCTION, CO; Owner: EDUCATIONAL MEDIA FOUNDATION)
- KAFM (88.1 FM; GRAND JUNCTION, CO; Owner: GRAND VALLEY PUBLIC RADIO CO, INC)
- KZKS-FM1 (105.3 FM; GRAND JUNCTION, CO; Owner: WESTERN SLOPE COMMUNICATIONS, L.L.C.)
Thompson fatal accident list:
Oct 21, 2007 06:24 PM, I-70, Lat: 38.92803, Lon: -110.00791, Vehicles: 1, Persons: 1, Fatalities: 1
Apr 2, 2005 05:00 AM, I-70, Vehicles: 1, Persons: 5, Fatalities: 2
FCC Registered Cell Phone Towers:1 (See the full list of FCC Registered Cell Phone Towers in Thompson)
FCC Registered Antenna Towers:15 (See the full list of FCC Registered Antenna Towers)
FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers:3
- Up Mp 530.1 Gvr Sub 1.3 Mi W (Lat: 38.969417 Lon: -109.737889), Type: Building, Structure height: 3 m, Overall height: 4 m, Call Sign: WPNW509
Assigned Frequencies: 160.920 MHzGrant Date: 04/29/2004, Expiration Date: 07/16/2014, Cancellation Date: 01/16/2013, Certifier: L J KopiaszRegistrant: Union Pacific Railroad Company, 201 S 16th St Suite 305, Omaha, NE 68179, Phone: (402) 280-6486, Fax: (402) 280-6565, Email:
- Pyramid Station 8 Mi 257 Degrees T (Lat: 38.943583 Lon: -109.859861), Type: Tower, Structure height: 9 m, Overall height: 12 m, Call Sign: KZI391
Assigned Frequencies: 160.920 MHz, 452.900 MHz, 160.320 MHzGrant Date: 10/23/2015, Expiration Date: 11/24/2025, Certifier: Roberta J HowardRegistrant: Prokarma, 222 So 15th St, Suite 505n, Omaha, NE 68102, Phone: (402) 522-5068, Fax: (402) 346-6676, Email:
- MP 519, Mp 519 (Lat: 38.961722 Lon: -109.565694), Type: Bant, Structure height: 4 m, Call Sign: WQRI858
Assigned Frequencies: 160.920 MHzGrant Date: 05/23/2013, Expiration Date: 05/23/2023, Certifier: Thomas J McgovernRegistrant: Prokarma, 222 So 15th St. Suite 505 N, Omaha, NE 68102, Phone: (402) 522-5068, Fax: (888) 956-8345, Email:
FCC Registered Microwave Towers:8 (See the full list of FCC Registered Microwave Towers in this town)
Drinking water stations with addresses in Thompson and their reported violations in the past:THOMPSON SPECIAL SERVICES DISTRICT (Population served: 39, Groundwater):
Past monitoring violations:
- Monitoring and Reporting (DBP) - Between OCT-2013 and DEC-2013, Contaminant: Chlorine. Follow-up actions: St Formal NOV issued (JAN-19-2014), St Public Notif requested (JAN-19-2014)
- Monitoring and Reporting (DBP) - Between JUL-2013 and SEP-2013, Contaminant: Chlorine. Follow-up actions: St Formal NOV issued (OCT-12-2013), St Public Notif requested (OCT-12-2013)
- Monitoring and Reporting (DBP) - Between APR-2013 and JUN-2013, Contaminant: Chlorine. Follow-up actions: St Formal NOV issued (OCT-12-2013), St Public Notif requested (OCT-12-2013)
- Monitoring and Reporting (DBP) - Between JAN-2013 and MAR-2013, Contaminant: Chlorine. Follow-up actions: St Formal NOV issued (OCT-12-2013), St Public Notif requested (OCT-12-2013)
- Monitoring and Reporting (DBP) - Between OCT-2011 and DEC-2011, Contaminant: Chlorine. Follow-up actions: St Formal NOV issued (FEB-18-2012), St Public Notif requested (FEB-18-2012)
- 21 routine major monitoring violations
- 19 regular monitoring violations
- 5 other older monitoring violations
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (72%)
- Wood (12%)
- Coal or coke (7%)
- Utility gas (4%)
- Electricity (4%)
Thompson compared to Utah state average:
- Median household income significantly below state average.
- Unemployed percentage below state average.
- Black race population percentage below state average.
- Median age above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Renting percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
- Number of college students significantly below state average.
Thompson on our top lists:
- #27 on the list of "Top 100 cities with largest land areas"
- #28 (84540) on the list of "Top 101 zip codes with the largest percentage of Welsh first ancestries"
- #7 on the list of "Top 101 counties with highest percentage of residents voting for 3rd party candidates in the 2012 Presidential Election"