We are giving away $1200 in prizes - enter simply by sending us your own city pictures!
|Median resident age:||55.8 years|
|Wisconsin median age:||42.6 years|
Zip codes: 54542.
Estimated per capita income in 2013: $17,585 (it was $14,406 in 2000)
Tipler town income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2013: $90,446 (it was $57,500 in 2000)
Mean prices in 2013: All housing units: $138,786; Detached houses: $147,885; Townhouses or other attached units: $69,194; Mobile homes: $51,326
Races in Tipler, WI (2010)
- 13997.9%White alone
- 32.1%American Indian alone
Recent articles from our blog. Our writers, many of them Ph.D. graduates or candidates, create easy-to-read articles on a wide variety of topics.
- How Does the Presence of a Major Employer Affect Crime Rate? Feb 10
- Prosper default rate decreased in 2014 Feb 8
- How important is peer-to-peer loan diversification? Feb 6
- Where Do the Young and Old People Live, and How Has That Changed Over the Years? Feb 4
- Reasons for getting a Lending Club loan Feb 2
Latest news from Tipler, WI collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: German (24.9%), Irish (23.9%), French (18.5%), United States (7.8%), English (6.3%), Polish (4.4%).
Current Local Time: CST time zone
Elevation: 1537 feet
Land area: 42.8 square miles.
Population density: 3.3 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Tipler:
- High school or higher: 63.3%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 1.7%
- Graduate or professional degree: 0.0%
- Unemployed: 8.0%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 38.3 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Tipler town:
- Never married: 15.2%
- Now married: 59.4%
- Separated: 3.6%
- Widowed: 7.2%
- Divorced: 14.5%
According to our research of Wisconsin and other state lists there was 1 registered sex offender living in Tipler, Wisconsin as of February 10, 2016.
The ratio of number of residents in Tipler to the number of sex offenders is 186 to 1.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|Tipler town:||1.0% ($571)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Green Bay, WI (103.7 miles , pop. 102,313).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Madison, WI (202.7 miles , pop. 208,054).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Chicago, IL (288.2 miles , pop. 2,896,016).
Nearest cities: Gaastra, MI (2.7 miles ), Caspian, MI (2.8 miles ), Stambaugh, MI (3.0 miles ), Popple River, WI (3.1 miles) , Alvin, WI (3.2 miles) , Iron River, MI (3.2 miles ), Mineral Hills, MI (3.4 miles ), Alpha, MI (3.6 miles) .
Latitude: 45.95 N, Longitude: 88.62 W
Area code commonly used in this area: 906
Unemployment by year (%)
- Construction (19%)
- Wood products (19%)
- Truck transportation (16%)
- Metal and metal products (12%)
- Office supplies and stationery stores (7%)
- Accommodation and food services (7%)
- Motor vehicle and parts dealers (5%)
- Personal and laundry services (26%)
- Food and beverage stores (22%)
- Accommodation and food services (22%)
- Health care (13%)
- Construction (9%)
- Educational services (9%)
- Driver/sales workers and truck drivers (21%)
- Material recording, scheduling, dispatching, and distributing workers (16%)
- Construction laborers (11%)
- Woodworkers (9%)
- Laborers and material movers, hand (9%)
- Cooks and food preparation workers (7%)
- Operations specialties managers except financial managers (5%)
- Cashiers (22%)
- Nursing, psychiatric, and home health aides (13%)
- Cooks and food preparation workers (13%)
- Other teachers and instructors, education, training, and library occupations (9%)
- Food and beverage serving workers except waiters/waitresses (9%)
- Personal appearance workers (9%)
- Retail sales workers except cashiers (9%)
Average climate in Tipler, Wisconsin
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Tipler-area historical tornado activity is significantly below Wisconsin state average. It is 64% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 6/25/1950, a category F4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 39.6 miles away from the Tipler town center killed 2 people and injured 12 people and caused between $50,000 and $500,000 in damages.
On 7/4/1986, a category F3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 33.4 miles away from the town center injured 12 people and caused between $50,000 and $500,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Tipler-area historical earthquake activity is significantly below Wisconsin state average. It is 97% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 7/9/1975 at 14:54:15, a magnitude 4.6 (4.6 MB, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 358.4 miles away from the city center
On 6/28/2004 at 06:10:52, a magnitude 4.2 (4.0 MB, 4.2 MW, Depth: 6.2 mi) earthquake occurred 311.0 miles away from Tipler center
On 1/31/1986 at 16:46:43, a magnitude 5.0 (5.0 MB, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 478.4 miles away from the city center
On 9/25/1998 at 19:52:52, a magnitude 5.2 (4.8 MB, 4.3 MS, 5.2 LG, 4.5 MW, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 513.4 miles away from the city center
On 6/5/1993 at 01:24:53, a magnitude 4.1 (4.1 LG, Depth: 6.2 mi) earthquake occurred 370.5 miles away from Tipler center
On 7/12/1986 at 08:19:37, a magnitude 4.5 (4.5 MB) earthquake occurred 431.2 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Florence County (3) is a lot smaller than the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 1
Emergencies Declared: 2
Causes of natural disasters: Drought: 1, Flood: 1, Hurricane: 1, Storm: 1, Wind: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Hospitals and medical centers near Tipler:
- DICKINSON IRON DIST HELTH DEPT (Hospital, about 10 miles away; IRON RIVER, MI)
- IRON RIVER CARE CENTER (Nursing Home, about 10 miles away; IRON RIVER, MI)
- UNITED HOME CARE (Home Health Center, about 10 miles away; IRON RIVER, MI)
- NORTHSTAR HEALTH SYSTEM Critical Access Hospitals (about 10 miles away; IRON RIVER, MI)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Tipler:
- Northern Michigan University (about 72 miles; Marquette, MI; Full-time enrollment: 8,258)
- Michigan Technological University (about 81 miles; Houghton, MI; FT enrollment: 6,078)
- Northcentral Technical College (about 84 miles; Wausau, WI; FT enrollment: 3,356)
- Northeast Wisconsin Technical College (about 102 miles; Green Bay, WI; FT enrollment: 6,069)
- University of Wisconsin-Green Bay (about 104 miles; Green Bay, WI; FT enrollment: 5,415)
- Saint Norbert College (about 108 miles; De Pere, WI; FT enrollment: 2,324)
- University of Wisconsin-Stevens Point (about 109 miles; Stevens Point, WI; FT enrollment: 9,089)
Notable location: Florence County Park Campground (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Church in Tipler: Maple Grove Church (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Cemetery: Martin Cemetery (1). Display/hide its location on the map
Lakes: Porcupine Lake (A), Lake of Dreams (B), Duck Lake (C), Johnson Pond (D). Display/hide their locations on the map
Creeks: Wisconsin Creek (A), Meadowbrook Creek (B), Johnson Creek (C), Huff Creek (D), Chuks Creek (E). Display/hide their locations on the map
Park in Tipler: Wisconsin Slough State Natural Area (1). Display/hide its location on the map
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2010 was 57.4. This is better than average.
Ozone [ppb] level in 2010 was 30.5. This is about average. Closest monitor was 15.0 miles away from the city center.
Drinking water stations with addresses in Tipler and their reported violations in the past:SACHS RENDEZVOUS BAR (Population served: 25, Groundwater):
Past monitoring violations:WHITETAIL INN BAR (Population served: 25, Groundwater):
- 2 regular monitoring violations
Past health violations:
Past monitoring violations:
- MCL, Monthly (TCR) - In JUN-2013, Contaminant: Coliform. Follow-up actions: St Boil Water Order (JUN-27-2013), St Violation/Reminder Notice (JUN-27-2013), St Public Notif requested (JUN-27-2013), St Compliance achieved (JUL-05-2013), St Public Notif received (JUL-29-2013), St Public Notif issued (JUL-29-2013)
- Monitoring, Source Water (GWR) - In MAY-2013, Contaminant: E. COLI. Follow-up actions: St Public Notif requested (MAY-23-2013), St Violation/Reminder Notice (MAY-23-2013), St Compliance achieved (MAY-28-2013)
- Monitoring, Repeat Major (TCR) - Between JAN-2013 and SEP-2013, Contaminant: Coliform (TCR). Follow-up actions: St Public Notif requested (MAY-23-2013), St Violation/Reminder Notice (MAY-23-2013), St Compliance achieved (MAY-28-2013)
- One regular monitoring violation
Drinking water stations with addresses in Tipler that have no violations reported:
- MERKS KNOTHEADS BAR (Population served: 25, Primary Water Source Type: Groundwater)
|This town:||2.0 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
No gay or lesbian households reported
Residents with income below the poverty level in 2009:
Residents with income below 50% of the poverty level in 2009:
5 people in homes for the mentally ill in 2000
Tipler compared to Wisconsin state average:
- Median house value significantly below state average.
- Unemployed percentage below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age significantly above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Renting percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
- Number of college students below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher significantly below state average.
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (78%)
- Wood (14%)
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (6%)
- Utility gas (3%)
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Tipler town (based on Florence County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Florence County:||4.22 / 10,000 pop.|
|Wisconsin:||1.86 / 10,000 pop.|
|Florence County:||2.11 / 10,000 pop.|
|Wisconsin:||0.38 / 10,000 pop.|
|Florence County:||8.43 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||4.12 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||14.76 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||8.64 / 10,000 pop.|
6.82% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($32,508 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Dickinson County, MI||1.24% ($26,783 average AGI)|
|from Marinette County, WI||0.70% ($14,769)|
|from Brown County, WI||0.65% ($34,500)|
6.16% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($31,726 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Tipler:
- WIKB (1230 AM; 1 kW; IRON RIVER, MI; Owner: NORTHLAND ADVERTISING, INC.)
- WSAU (550 AM; 20 kW; WAUSAU, WI; Owner: WRIG, INC.)
- WSPT (1010 AM; 50 kW; STEVENS POINT, WI)
- WEBC (560 AM; 50 kW; DULUTH, MN)
- WDBC (680 AM; 10 kW; ESCANABA, MI; Owner: KMB BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WNAM (1280 AM; 50 kW; NEENAH-MENASHA, WI; Owner: CUMULUS LICENSING CORP.)
- WTCM (580 AM; 35 kW; TRAVERSE CITY, MI; Owner: WTCM RADIO, INC.)
- WTMJ (620 AM; 50 kW; MILWAUKEE, WI; Owner: JOURNAL BROADCAST CORPORATION)
- WHBY (1150 AM; 25 kW; KIMBERLY, WI; Owner: WOODWARD COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WLDR (1210 AM; daytime; 50 kW; KINGSLEY, MI; Owner: FORT BEND BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WZAM (970 AM; 5 kW; ISHPEMING, MI)
- WJMS (590 AM; 5 kW; IRONWOOD, MI; Owner: ROBERTS BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WERL (950 AM; 1 kW; EAGLE RIVER, WI)
Strongest FM radio stations in Tipler:
- WIKB-FM (99.1 FM; IRON RIVER, MI; Owner: NORTHLAND ADVERTISING, INC.)
- WOBE (100.7 FM; CRYSTAL FALLS, MI; Owner: RESULTS BROADCASTING OF IRON MOUNTAIN, INC.)
- WHTO (106.7 FM; IRON MOUNTAIN, MI; Owner: TODD STUART NOORDYK)
- WJNR-FM (101.5 FM; IRON MOUNTAIN, MI; Owner: RESULTS BROADCASTING OF IRON MOUNTAIN, INC.)
- WVCM (91.5 FM; IRON MOUNTAIN, MI; Owner: VCY AMERICA INC.)
- WIMK (93.1 FM; IRON MOUNTAIN, MI; Owner: NORTHERN STAR BROADCASTING, L.L.C.)
- W244AW (96.7 FM; IRON MOUNTAIN, MI; Owner: FAMILY ED BC CORP OF DOOR CNTY WI)
- W237AW (95.3 FM; IRON RIVER, MI; Owner: WRVM, INC.)
- WEUL (98.1 FM; KINGSFORD, MI; Owner: GOSPEL OPPORTUNITIES, INC.)
- WMVM (91.3 FM; GOODMAN, WI; Owner: WRVM, INC.)
TV broadcast stations around Tipler:
- WYOW (Channel 34; EAGLE RIVER, WI; Owner: WAOW-WYOW TELEVISION, INC.)
- WJFW-TV (Channel 12; RHINELANDER, WI; Owner: NORTHLAND TELEVISION, INC.)
- W54AR (Channel 54; FENCE, WI; Owner: STATE OF WISCONSIN - EDUCATIONAL COMMUNICATIONS BOARD)
- KTTM (Channel 12; HURON, SD; Owner: INDEPENDENT COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WBIJ (Channel 4; CRANDON, WI; Owner: SELENKA COMMUNICATIONS, LLC)
- WUPT-CA (Channel 25; CRYSTAL FALLS, MI; Owner: WESTERN UPPER PENINSULA TELEVISION, INC.)
- National Bridge Inventory (NBI) Statistics
- 1Number of bridges
- 3m10ftTotal length
- 1,180Total average daily traffic
- 129Total average daily truck traffic
- 1,880Total future (year 2029) average daily traffic
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses:2
- Call Sign: KB9MTY, Previous Call Sign: WB6QDW, Licensee ID: L01089167
Grant Date: 11/29/2005, Expiration Date: 02/21/2016, Certifier: Edward L Jolicoeur
Registrant: Edward L Jolicoeur, 470 Lily Pad Rd, Tipler, WI 54542
- Call Sign: KE9D, Licensee ID: L00174884
Grant Date: 08/16/2011, Expiration Date: 11/12/2021, Certifier: Roger W Moore
Registrant: Roger W Moore, 5419 Dorzok Trail, Tipler, WI 54542-9631