We are giving away $1200 in prizes - enter simply by sending us your own city pictures!
- OSM Map
- Google Map
- MSN Map
- OSM Map
- General Map
- Google Map
- MSN Map
- OSM Map
- Google Map
- MSN Map
- OSM Map
- Google Map
- MSN Map
Please wait while loading the map...
|Median resident age:||44.3 years|
|Massachusetts median age:||39.2 years|
Zip codes: 02568.
Estimated per capita income in 2016: $42,333 (it was $26,783 in 2000)
Tisbury town income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2016: $644,974 (it was $288,300 in 2000)
Mean prices in 2016: All housing units: $804,161; Detached houses: $794,384; Townhouses or other attached units: $804,976; In 2-unit structures: $671,845; In 3-to-4-unit structures: $607,827
Races in Tisbury, MA (2010)
- 3,33484.4%White alone
- 1894.8%Other race alone
- 1413.6%Black alone
- 1203.0%Two or more races
- 300.8%Asian alone
- 160.4%American Indian alone
- 10.03%Native Hawaiian and Other
Pacific Islander alone
Ancestries: English (25.1%), Irish (22.3%), German (12.1%), Portuguese (10.4%), Italian (8.8%), Scottish (8.4%).
Current Local Time: EST time zone
Incorporated in 1671
Land area: 6.56 square miles.
Population density: 602 people per square mile(low).
For population 25 years and over in Tisbury:
- High school or higher: 89.0%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 33.2%
- Graduate or professional degree: 11.5%
- Unemployed: 1.6%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 15.3 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Tisbury town:
- Never married: 26.5%
- Now married: 51.8%
- Separated: 1.4%
- Widowed: 7.6%
- Divorced: 12.7%
254 residents are foreign born (2.9% Latin America, 2.0% Europe, 0.7% Africa).
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|Tisbury town:||0.7% ($2,131)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: New Bedford, MA (21.5 miles , pop. 93,768).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Boston, MA (64.7 miles , pop. 589,141).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Queens, NY (175.0 miles , pop. 2,229,379).
Nearest cities: Vineyard Haven, MA (0.5 miles ), Oak Bluffs, MA (1.5 miles ), West Tisbury, MA (2.2 miles ), Woods Hole, MA (2.4 miles ), Falmouth, MA (2.5 miles ), Edgartown, MA (2.6 miles ), Teaticket, MA (2.7 miles ), Gosnold, MA (2.8 miles) .
Single-family new house construction building permits:
- 1997: 38 buildings, average cost: $107,700
- 1998: 49 buildings, average cost: $128,600
- 1999: 60 buildings, average cost: $168,200
- 2000: 33 buildings, average cost: $186,900
- 2001: 23 buildings, average cost: $196,400
- 2002: 26 buildings, average cost: $13,800
- 2003: 27 buildings, average cost: $165,700
- 2004: 28 buildings, average cost: $165,700
- 2005: 48 buildings, average cost: $155,900
- 2006: 41 buildings, average cost: $155,900
- 2007: 31 buildings, average cost: $155,900
- 2008: 22 buildings, average cost: $155,900
- 2009: 17 buildings, average cost: $155,900
- 2010: 18 buildings, average cost: $155,900
- 2011: 15 buildings, average cost: $208,500
- 2012: 13 buildings, average cost: $304,000
- 2013: 13 buildings, average cost: $599,600
- 2014: 12 buildings, average cost: $599,600
Number of permits per 10,000 residents
Average cost (in $1000s)
Latitude: 41.46 N, Longitude: 70.61 W
|Crime rates in Tisbury by Year|
|City-data.com crime index (higher means more crime, U.S. average = 287.5)||353.3||320.4||305.9||220.1||265.2||246.8||275.7||226.4||168.8||226.0||221.8|
(click on a table row to update graph)
Crime rate in Tisbury detailed stats: murders, rapes, robberies, assaults, burglaries, thefts, arson
|Officers per 1,000 residents here:||3.39|
Unemployment by year (%)
Historical housing units
- Construction (40%)
- Arts, entertainment, and recreation (7%)
- Other transportation, and support activities, and couriers (4%)
- Accommodation and food services (4%)
- Public administration (4%)
- Professional, scientific, and technical services (3%)
- Building material and garden equipment and supplies dealers (3%)
- Educational services (13%)
- Health care (12%)
- Accommodation and food services (10%)
- Professional, scientific, and technical services (9%)
- Finance and insurance (5%)
- Food and beverage stores (5%)
- Social assistance (5%)
- Carpenters (17%)
- Other management occupations except farmers and farm managers (7%)
- Supervisors of construction and extraction workers (7%)
- Top executives (5%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (5%)
- Retail sales workers except cashiers (5%)
- Painters and paperhangers (4%)
- Preschool, kindergarten, elementary and middle school teachers (8%)
- Other sales and related workers including supervisors (8%)
- Cooks and food preparation workers (6%)
- Bookkeeping, accounting, and auditing clerks (5%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (5%)
- Other office and administrative support workers including supervisors (5%)
- Art and design workers (5%)
Average climate in Tisbury, Massachusetts
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Earthquake activity:Tisbury-area historical earthquake activity is near Massachusetts state average. It is 90% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 10/7/1983 at 10:18:46, a magnitude 5.3 (5.1 MB, 5.3 LG, 5.1 ML, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 256.4 miles away from the city center
On 8/22/1992 at 12:20:32, a magnitude 4.8 (4.8 MB, 3.8 MS, 4.7 LG, Depth: 6.2 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 163.3 miles away from Tisbury center
On 1/19/1982 at 00:14:42, a magnitude 4.7 (4.5 MB, 4.7 MD, 4.5 LG) earthquake occurred 150.1 miles away from the city center
On 4/20/2002 at 10:50:47, a magnitude 5.2 (5.2 MB, 4.2 MS, 5.2 MW, 5.0 MW, Depth: 6.8 mi) earthquake occurred 262.0 miles away from the city center
On 10/2/1994 at 11:27:22, a magnitude 3.7 (3.5 LG, 3.7 LG, Depth: 6.2 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: II - III) earthquake occurred 105.6 miles away from Tisbury center
On 7/22/2003 at 11:41:15, a magnitude 3.6 (3.6 LG, Depth: 6.8 mi) earthquake occurred 95.9 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), duration magnitude (MD), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Dukes County (18) is greater than the US average (13).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 11
Emergencies Declared: 7
Causes of natural disasters: Hurricanes: 7, Floods: 4, Storms: 4, Snowstorms: 3, Blizzards: 2, Snows: 2, Winter Storms: 2, Snowfall: 1, Tropical Storm: 1, Wind: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Birthplace of: Edmund C. Weeks - Politician.
Hospitals and medical centers near Tisbury:
- BARNSTABLE COUNTY HOSPITAL (Hospital, about 4 miles away; POCASSET, MA)
- CAPE COD AND ISLANDS MENTAL HEALTH CENTER (Hospital, about 4 miles away; POCASSET, MA)
- COLONIAL CARE CERTIFIED, INC (Home Health Center, about 7 miles away; FALMOUTH, MA)
- FALMOUTH NURSING HOME (Nursing Home, about 7 miles away; FALMOUTH, MA)
- ROYAL NURSING CENTER, LLC (Nursing Home, about 7 miles away; FALMOUTH, MA)
- FALMOUTH CARE AND REHABILITATION CENTER (Nursing Home, about 8 miles away; FALMOUTH, MA)
- VNA OF UPPER CAPE COD INC (Home Health Center, about 8 miles away; FALMOUTH, MA)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Tisbury:
- Cape Cod Community College (about 22 miles; West Barnstable, MA; Full-time enrollment: 2,491)
- University of Massachusetts-Dartmouth (about 24 miles; North Dartmouth, MA; FT enrollment: 7,545)
- Bristol Community College (about 33 miles; Fall River, MA; FT enrollment: 5,707)
- Salve Regina University (about 36 miles; Newport, RI; FT enrollment: 2,349)
- Roger Williams University (about 37 miles; Bristol, RI; FT enrollment: 4,375)
- Bridgewater State University (about 42 miles; Bridgewater, MA; FT enrollment: 9,802)
- Massasoit Community College (about 48 miles; Brockton, MA; FT enrollment: 5,442)
Notable locations in Tisbury: West Chop Light (A), Vineyard Haven Breakwater Light (B), Vineyard Haven Ferry Slip Light (C), Lake Tashmoo East Jetty Light (D), Marthas Vineyard Shipyard (E), Mink Meadows Golf Course (F), Schamonchi Dock (G), Steamship Authority Wharf (H), Tashmoo Overlook (I), Vineyard Haven Yacht Club (J), Tisbury Fire Department Station 1 Headquarters (K), West Tisbury Fire Department (L), Tisbury Elementary School Library (M), Katherine Cornell Theater (N), Marthas Vineyard Chamber of Commerce (O), Old Schoolhouse Museum and Liberty Pole (P), Seamans Bethel (Q), Tisbury Museum (R), Tisbury Town Hall (S), Vineyard Haven Public Library (T). Display/hide their locations on the map
Churches in Tisbury include: Unitarian Universalist Society (A), Saint Augustines Church (B). Display/hide their locations on the map
Cemeteries: Tisbury Village Cemetery (1), West Chop Cemetery (2), Oak Grove Cemetery (3), South End Cemetery (4). Display/hide their locations on the map
Lakes and reservoirs: Rhoda Pond (A), Mink Meadows Pond (B), Lagoon Pond (C), Flat Bottom Pond (D), Lake Tashmoo (E), Upper Lagoon Pond (F). Display/hide their locations on the map
Creek: Mud Creek (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Parks in Tisbury include: William Street Historic District (1), Veterans Memorial Park (2), Owen Park (3). Display/hide their locations on the map
Beaches: Tisbury Town Beach (A), Owen Park Beach (B), Lake Tashmoo Town Beach (C). Display/hide their locations on the map
Hotel: Bayberry Inn Bed & Breakfast (49 Old Courthouse Rd.).
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2013 was 64.4. This is about average.
Ozone [ppb] level in 2013 was 33.1. This is about average. Closest monitor was 12.5 miles away from the city center.
Particulate Matter (PM2.5) [µg/m3] level in 2002 was 10.8. This is about average. Closest monitor was 20.2 miles away from the city center.
|This town:||2.2 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.4% of all households
- Gay men: 0.6% of all households
People in group quarters in Tisbury in 2000:
- 92 people in nursing homes
- 17 people in other workers' dormitories
- 2 people in agriculture workers' dormitories on farms
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Tisbury town (based on Dukes County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Dukes County:||8.41 / 10,000 pop.|
|Massachusetts:||1.98 / 10,000 pop.|
|Dukes County:||1.94 / 10,000 pop.|
|Massachusetts:||2.22 / 10,000 pop.|
|Dukes County:||1.94 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||1.77 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||35.59 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||8.76 / 10,000 pop.|
6.09% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($43,625 average adjusted gross income)
0.15% of residents moved from foreign countries ($344 average AGI)
Dukes County: 0.15% Massachusetts average: 0.06%
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Middlesex County, MA||0.36% ($78,231 average AGI)|
|from Barnstable County, MA||0.31% ($30,478)|
|from Suffolk County, MA||0.31% ($53,348)|
5.04% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($58,973 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Tisbury:
- WBZ (1030 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WALE (990 AM; 50 kW; GREENVILLE, RI; Owner: NORTH AMERICAN BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- WEEI (850 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WRKO (680 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WBSM (1420 AM; 5 kW; NEW BEDFORD, MA; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WKOX (1200 AM; 50 kW; FRAMINGHAM, MA; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WCRN (830 AM; 50 kW; WORCESTER, MA; Owner: CARTER BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WBIX (1060 AM; 40 kW; NATICK, MA; Owner: LANGER BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WWZN (1510 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ROSE CITY RADIO CORPORATION)
- WAMG (890 AM; 25 kW; DEDHAM, MA; Owner: MEGA COMMUNICATIONS OF DEDHAM LICENSEE, LLC)
- WNNZ (640 AM; 50 kW; WESTFIELD, MA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WPRO (630 AM; 5 kW; PROVIDENCE, RI; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WRCA (1330 AM; 25 kW; WALTHAM, MA; Owner: WRCA LICENSE, LLC)
Strongest FM radio stations in Tisbury:
- WMVY (92.7 FM; TISBURY, MA; Owner: ARITAUR COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WCAI (90.1 FM; WOODS HOLE, MA; Owner: WGBH EDUCATIONAL FOUNDATION)
- WCIB (101.9 FM; FALMOUTH, MA; Owner: QANTUM OF CAPE COD LICENSE COMPANY, LLC)
- WTWV (101.1 FM; MASHPEE, MA; Owner: BOCH BROADCASTING, L.P.)
- WJFD-FM (97.3 FM; NEW BEDFORD, MA; Owner: EDMUND DINIS, TRUSTEE)
- WFPB-FM (91.9 FM; FALMOUTH, MA; Owner: UNIVERSITY OF MASSACHUSETTS)
- WCTK (98.1 FM; NEW BEDFORD, MA; Owner: HALL COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WPXC (102.9 FM; HYANNIS, MA; Owner: QANTUM OF CAPE COD LICENSE COMPANY, LLC)
- WQRC (99.9 FM; BARNSTABLE, MA; Owner: SANDAB COMMUNICATION LTD. PNR/SHP II)
- WFHN (107.1 FM; FAIRHAVEN, MA; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WXTK (95.1 FM; WEST YARMOUTH, MA; Owner: BOCH BROADCASTING LTD. PARTNERSHIP)
- WRZE (96.3 FM; NANTUCKET, MA; Owner: QANTUM OF CAPE COD LICENSE COMPANY, LLC)
- WKKB (100.3 FM; MIDDLETOWN, RI; Owner: CITADEL BROADCASTING COMPANY)
- WSMU-FM (91.1 FM; NORTH DARTMOUTH, MA; Owner: UNIVERSITY OF MASSACHUSETTS)
TV broadcast stations around Tisbury:
- WLWC (Channel 28; NEW BEDFORD, MA; Owner: C-28 FCC LICENSEE SUBSIDIARY, LLC)
- WDPX (Channel 58; VINEYARD HAVEN, MA; Owner: PAXSON BOSTON-68 LICENSE, INC.)
- WLNE-TV (Channel 6; NEW BEDFORD, MA; Owner: FREEDOM BROADCASTING OF SOUTHERN NEW ENGLAND, INC.)
- WMPX-LP (Channel 67; DENNIS, MA; Owner: PAXSON BOSTON-68 LICENSE, INC.)
FCC Registered Antenna Towers:22 (See the full list of FCC Registered Antenna Towers in Tisbury)
FCC Registered Commercial Land Mobile Towers:1
- Off State Rd/1.4 Km Sw Of (Lat: 41.445667 Lon: -70.612806), Type: Tower, Structure height: 35 m, Call Sign: WPJS691
Assigned Frequencies: 157.740 MHzGrant Date: 10/09/1996, Expiration Date: 10/09/2006, Cancellation Date: 11/25/2006, Certifier: Eugene H KreeftRegistrant: Preferred Networks Inc, 5801 Goshen Springs Rd, Suite D, Norcross, GA 30071, Fax: (770) 734-0936
FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers:2
- High Point Lane (Lat: 41.445556 Lon: -70.612778), Type: Tank, Structure height: 22.3 m, Overall height: 42.7 m, Call Sign: WPJQ679
Assigned Frequencies: 155.880 MHzGrant Date: 01/19/2012, Expiration Date: 02/28/2022, Certifier: Earl LittlefieldRegistrant: Federal Licensing, Inc., 1588 Fairfield Road, Gettysburg, PA 17325, Phone: (717) 334-9262, Fax: (717) 334-6440
- Lat: 41.425000 Lon: -70.641667, Call Sign: WQIG219
Assigned Frequencies: 154.070 MHzGrant Date: 01/30/2008, Expiration Date: 01/30/2018, Certifier: John F SchillingRegistrant: Federal Licensing, Inc., 1588 Fairfield Road, Gettysburg, PA 17325, Phone: (717) 334-9262, Fax: (717) 334-6440
FCC Registered Microwave Towers:3
- AM TWR (TISBURY), 57 Carrolls Way (010338) (Lat: 41.437833 Lon: -70.613500), Type: Gtower, Structure height: 60.4 m, Call Sign: WQPZ812
Assigned Frequencies: 6555.00 MHz, 6555.00 MHz, 6625.00 MHz, 6625.00 MHz, 6655.00 MHz, 6655.00 MHz, 6685.00 MHz, 6685.00 MHzGrant Date: 10/01/2012, Expiration Date: 10/01/2022, Cancellation Date: 10/08/2015, Certifier: Shiela SmithRegistrant: Meridian Microwave LLC, 145 Washington St., Norwell, MA 02061, Phone: (781) 413-5769, Email:
- WCAI Tower, 57 Carrolls Way (010338) (Lat: 41.437833 Lon: -70.613500), Type: Gtower, Structure height: 60.3 m, Overall height: 62.4 m, Call Sign: WQRB794
Assigned Frequencies: 6595.00 MHz, 6595.00 MHz, 6595.00 MHz, 6595.00 MHz, 6595.00 MHz, 6595.00 MHzGrant Date: 04/11/2013, Expiration Date: 04/11/2023, Certifier: Eric A BrassRegistrant: Covington & Burling LLP, One Citycenter, 850 10th St., Nw, Washington, DC 20001, Phone: (202) 662-5345, Fax: (202) 778-5345, Email:
- State Road (Lat: 41.445944 Lon: -70.616139), Overall height: 19.8 m, Call Sign: WLJ340, Licensee ID: L00276131
Assigned Frequencies: 2042.00 MHzGrant Date: 06/19/1985, Expiration Date: 04/01/2007, Cancellation Date: 02/18/2005Registrant: Paxson Boston-68 License, Inc., 601 Clearwater Park Road, West Palm Beach, FL 33401-6233
FCC Registered Maritime Coast & Aviation Ground Towers:3
- Beach Rd (Lat: 41.454278 Lon: -70.595861), Type: Building, Overall height: 9 m, Call Sign: KDO759
Assigned Frequencies: 156.450 MHz, 156.800 MHz, 156.975 MHzGrant Date: 04/01/1997, Expiration Date: 04/01/2002, Cancellation Date: 07/07/2002Registrant: Tisbury Wharf Company, Beach Rd, Tisbury, MA 02568
- Owen Park (Lat: 41.459556 Lon: -70.611139), Type: Building, Overall height: 3 m, Call Sign: KYQ842
Assigned Frequencies: 156.450 MHz, 156.475 MHz, 156.800 MHzGrant Date: 02/01/2000, Expiration Date: 05/03/2005, Cancellation Date: 07/09/2005Registrant: Tisbury, Town Of, 21 Spring St, Tisbury, MA 02568
- 45 Owen Little Way (Lat: 41.463444 Lon: -70.599472), Type: Tower, Overall height: 10 m, Call Sign: WHX700, Licensee ID: L00010248
Assigned Frequencies: 156.450 MHz, 156.800 MHz, 156.925 MHzGrant Date: 03/13/2001, Expiration Date: 05/29/2011, Cancellation Date: 07/30/2011Registrant: Vineyard Haven Yacht Club Inc, 45 Owen Little Way, Vineyard Haven, MA 02568
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses:1
- Call Sign: W0RBN, Licensee ID: L00592135, Grant Date: 12/22/2015, Expiration Date: 03/20/2026, Registrant: John W Clough, 125 Main Street, Tisbury, MA 02568
FAA Registered Aircraft:1
- Aircraft: GRUMMAN AMERICAN AVN. CORP. AA-5B (Category: Land, Seats: 4, Weight: Up to 12,499 Pounds, Speed: 105 mph), Engine: LYCOMING O&VO-360 SER (180 HP) (Reciprocating)
N-Number: 81368 , Serial Number: AA5B0513, Year manufactured: 1977, Airworthiness Date: 05/17/1977
Registrant (Corporation): Deca Inc, Po Box 2169, Tisbury, MA 02568
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (51%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (27%)
- Electricity (16%)
- Wood (5%)
Tisbury compared to Massachusetts state average:
- Median house value above state average.
- Unemployed percentage significantly below state average.
- Black race population percentage below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
- Institutionalized population percentage above state average.
- Number of college students below state average.
Tisbury on our top lists:
- #68 on the list of "Top 101 cities with the most residents born in Brazil (population 500+)"
- #74 on the list of "Top 101 cities with the largest percentage of people in other workers' dormitories (population 1,000+)"
- #5 (02568) on the list of "Top 101 zip codes with the largest percentage of taxpayers reporting profit/loss from business in 2012 (pop 5,000+)"
- #59 (02568) on the list of "Top 101 zip codes with the largest percentage of Scottish first ancestries (pop 5,000+)"
- #100 (02568) on the list of "Top 101 zip codes with the largest percentage of Portuguese first ancestries (pop 5,000+)"
- #71 on the list of "Top 101 counties with the highest Ozone (1-hour) air pollution readings in 2012 (ppm)"
- #73 on the list of "Top 101 counties with highest percentage of residents voting for Obama (Democrat) in the 2012 Presidential Election"
Total of 2 patent applications in 2008-2019.