We are giving away $1200 in prizes - enter simply by sending us your own city pictures!
- OSM Map
- General Map
- Google Map
- MSN Map
- OSM Map
- General Map
- Google Map
- MSN Map
- OSM Map
- General Map
- Google Map
- MSN Map
- OSM Map
- General Map
- Google Map
- MSN Map
Please wait while loading the map...
|Median resident age:||36.9 years|
|Kentucky median age:||35.9 years|
Zip code: 41179
Estimated per capita income in 2013: $18,476 (it was $14,124 in 2000)
Tollesboro CCD income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2013: $71,841 (it was $47,300 in 2000)
Races in Tollesboro, KY (2000)
- 3,22597.9%White alone
- 250.8%Two or more races
- 120.4%American Indian alone
- 50.2%Black alone
- 10.03%Asian alone
Current Local Time: EST time zone
Elevation: 816 feet
Land area: 129.7 square miles.
Population density: 25 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Tollesboro:
- High school or higher: 63.8%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 9.0%
- Graduate or professional degree: 5.1%
- Unemployed: 3.3%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 33.3 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Tollesboro CCD:
- Never married: 20.1%
- Now married: 63.1%
- Separated: 1.5%
- Widowed: 6.4%
- Divorced: 10.3%
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|Tollesboro CCD:||0.6% ($283)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Huntington, WV (61.0 miles , pop. 51,475).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Cincinnati, OH (64.3 miles , pop. 331,285).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Chicago, IL (313.7 miles , pop. 2,896,016).
Nearest cities: Concord, KY (2.7 miles) , Manchester, OH (2.8 miles ), Rome, OH (3.2 miles) , Vanceburg, KY (3.4 miles ), Bentonville, OH (3.4 miles ), Maysville, KY (3.7 miles ), Aberdeen, OH (3.7 miles ), Laurel-Petersville, KY (3.8 miles ).
Latitude: 38.59 N, Longitude: 83.54 W
Area code: 606
Unemployment by year (%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (19%)
- Construction (11%)
- Truck transportation (7%)
- Machinery (7%)
- Transportation equipment (6%)
- Mining, quarrying, and oil and gas extraction (5%)
- Educational services (5%)
- Health care (15%)
- Educational services (12%)
- Transportation equipment (9%)
- Apparel (7%)
- Accommodation and food services (7%)
- Miscellaneous manufacturing (5%)
- Finance and insurance (4%)
- Farmers and farm managers (17%)
- Driver/sales workers and truck drivers (8%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (7%)
- Metal workers and plastic workers (7%)
- Laborers and material movers, hand (7%)
- Construction trades workers except carpenters, electricians, painters, plumbers, and construction laborers (4%)
- Assemblers and fabricators (4%)
- Textile, apparel, and furnishings workers (9%)
- Other office and administrative support workers including supervisors (8%)
- Laborers and material movers, hand (6%)
- Cashiers (6%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (6%)
- Preschool, kindergarten, elementary and middle school teachers (5%)
- Registered nurses (4%)
Average climate in Tollesboro, Kentucky
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Tollesboro-area historical tornado activity is slightly below Kentucky state average. It is 6% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 4/23/1968, a category F5 (max. wind speeds 261-318 mph) tornado 40.6 miles away from the Tollesboro place center killed 7 people and injured 93 people and caused between $500,000 and $5,000,000 in damages.
On 5/7/1967, a category F3 (max. wind speeds 158-206 mph) tornado 8.8 miles away from the place center caused between $5000 and $50,000 in damages.
Earthquake activity:Tollesboro-area historical earthquake activity is near Kentucky state average. It is 79% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 7/27/1980 at 18:52:21, a magnitude 5.2 (5.1 MB, 4.7 MS, 5.0 UK, 5.2 UK, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 34.5 miles away from the city center
On 9/7/1988 at 02:28:09, a magnitude 4.6 (4.5 MB, 4.6 LG, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 35.9 miles away from Tollesboro center
On 4/18/2008 at 09:36:59, a magnitude 5.4 (5.1 MB, 4.8 MS, 5.4 MW, 5.2 MW, Depth: 8.9 mi) earthquake occurred 235.5 miles away from the city center
On 6/10/1987 at 23:48:54, a magnitude 5.1 (4.9 MB, 4.4 MS, 4.6 MS, 5.1 LG) earthquake occurred 235.2 miles away from the city center
On 9/25/1998 at 19:52:52, a magnitude 5.2 (4.8 MB, 4.3 MS, 5.2 LG, 4.5 MW, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 260.7 miles away from Tollesboro center
On 6/18/2002 at 17:37:15, a magnitude 5.0 (4.3 MB, 4.6 MW, 5.0 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 234.0 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Lewis and Clark County (7) is smaller than the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 4
Emergencies Declared: 1
Causes of natural disasters: Fires: 3, Floods: 3, Storms: 3, Hurricane: 1, Snow: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Birthplace of: Lucille P. Markey - Philanthropist.
Hospitals and medical centers near Tollesboro:
- ADAMS COUNTY MANOR (Nursing Home, about 14 miles away; WEST UNION, OH)
- EAGLE CREEK NURSING CENTER (Nursing Home, about 14 miles away; WEST UNION, OH)
- CHESTNUT RIDGE CARE CENTER (Nursing Home, about 15 miles away; WEST UNION, OH)
- ADAMS COUNTY HOSPITAL (Hospital, about 15 miles away; WEST UNION, OH)
- ADAMS COUNTY HOSPITAL CARE CENTER (Nursing Home, about 15 miles away; WEST UNION, OH)
- MAYSVILLE EXTENDED CARE (Nursing Home, about 15 miles away; MAYSVILLE, KY)
- MAYSVILLE NURSING AND REHABILITATION FACILITY (Nursing Home, about 15 miles away; MAYSVILLE, KY)
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Tollesboro:
- Maysville Community and Technical College (about 15 miles; Maysville, KY; Full-time enrollment: 2,969)
- Morehead State University (about 29 miles; Morehead, KY; FT enrollment: 7,523)
- Shawnee State University (about 31 miles; Portsmouth, OH; FT enrollment: 4,160)
- Southern State Community College (about 46 miles; Hillsboro, OH; FT enrollment: 2,418)
- Ashland Community and Technical College (about 49 miles; Ashland, KY; FT enrollment: 2,482)
- University of Cincinnati-Clermont College (about 50 miles; Batavia, OH; FT enrollment: 2,739)
- Northern Kentucky University (about 59 miles; Highland Heights, KY; FT enrollment: 12,059)
Private high school in Tollesboro:
Public elementary/middle school in Tollesboro:
- Tollesboro Elementary School (Students: 295; Location: Route 2 Box 314; Grades: K-6)
Notable locations in Tollesboro: Ruggles Camp (A), Wells Landing (B), Manchester Station Landing (C), Chalkley Station (D), Tollesboro Volunteer Fire Department (E). Display/hide their locations on the map
Churches in Tollesboro include: Fryes Church (A), Gallilee Church (B), Happy Hollow Church (C), Wesley Chapel (D), Mount Tabor Church (E), Mount Zion Church (F), Muses Chapel (G), Pine Grove Church (H), Pine Valley Church (I). Display/hide their locations on the map
Cemeteries: Mays Cemetery (1), Hackworth Cemetery (2), Cedar Leaf Cemetery (3), Burtonville Cemetery (4), Nash Cemetery (5), Pine Grove Cemetery (6), Fairmont Cemetery (7). Display/hide their locations on the map
Reservoir: Mitchell Lake (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Buck Lick Branch (A), Toles Creek (B), Bethel Creek (C), Big Branch (D), Browns Run (E), Crooked Creek (F), Union Branch (G), Turkey Run (H), Clear Creek (I). Display/hide their locations on the map
Air pollution and air quality trends
(lower is better)
Air Quality Index (AQI) level in 2012 was 18.6. This is significantly better than average.
Sulfur Dioxide (SO2) [ppb] level in 2012 was 2.07. This is about average. Closest monitor was 7.9 miles away from the city center.
|This place:||2.5 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.4% of all households
- Gay men: 0.2% of all households
Residents with income below the poverty level in 2009:
Residents with income below 50% of the poverty level in 2009:
Tollesboro compared to Kentucky state average:
- Median house value significantly below state average.
- Unemployed percentage significantly below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Renting percentage below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
- Number of college students below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher below state average.
Banks with branches in Tollesboro (2011 data):
- Citizens Deposit Bank & Trust: Tollesboro Branch at State Highway 10, branch established on 1967/11/27. Info updated 2010/09/27: Bank assets: $212.9 mil, Deposits: $183.5 mil, headquarters in Vanceburg, KY, positive income, Commercial Lending Specialization, 9 total offices, Holding Company: Premier Financial Bancorp, Inc.
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Electricity (34%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (26%)
- Utility gas (22%)
- Wood (17%)
- Other fuel (1%)
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (1%)
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Tollesboro CCD (based on Lewis County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Lewis County:||5.05 / 10,000 pop.|
|Kentucky:||2.19 / 10,000 pop.|
|Lewis County:||7.93 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||4.36 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||2.88 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||5.74 / 10,000 pop.|
Strongest AM radio stations in Tollesboro:
- WLW (700 AM; 50 kW; CINCINNATI, OH; Owner: JACOR BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WTVN (610 AM; 50 kW; COLUMBUS, OH; Owner: CITICASTERS LICENSES, L.P.)
- WSAI (1530 AM; 50 kW; CINCINNATI, OH; Owner: JACOR BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WKKS (1570 AM; 1 kW; VANCEBURG, KY; Owner: BROWN COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WHAS (840 AM; 50 kW; LOUISVILLE, KY; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WFTM (1240 AM; 1 kW; MAYSVILLE, KY; Owner: STANDARD TABACCO CO.)
- WNXT (1260 AM; 5 kW; PORTSMOUTH, OH; Owner: HOMETOWN B/C OF PORTSMOUTH, INC.)
- WGOH (1370 AM; 5 kW; GRAYSON, KY; Owner: CARTER COUNTY BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- WRFD (880 AM; daytime; 23 kW; COLUMBUS-WORTHINGTON, OH; Owner: SALEM MEDIA OF OHIO, INC.)
- WKRC (550 AM; 5 kW; CINCINNATI, OH; Owner: JACOR BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WLGC (1520 AM; daytime; 5 kW; GREENUP, KY; Owner: GREENUP COUNTY BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WFLE (1060 AM; daytime; 1 kW; FLEMINGSBURG, KY; Owner: FLEMING COUNTY BROADCASTING CO., INC)
- WLAP (630 AM; 5 kW; LEXINGTON, KY; Owner: CITICASTERS LICENSES, L.P.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Tollesboro:
- WAGX (101.3 FM; MANCHESTER, OH; Owner: JEWELL SCHAEFFER BROADCASTING CO.)
- WFLE-FM (95.1 FM; FLEMINGSBURG, KY; Owner: FLEMING COUNTY BROADCASTING CO., INC)
- WPAY-FM (104.1 FM; PORTSMOUTH, OH; Owner: RADIO STATIONS WPAY/WPFB, INC.)
- WOSP (91.5 FM; PORTSMOUTH, OH; Owner: THE OHIO STATE UNIVERSITY)
- WKKS-FM (104.9 FM; VANCEBURG, KY; Owner: BROWN COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WMKY (90.3 FM; MOREHEAD, KY; Owner: MOREHEAD STATE UNIVERSITY)
- WFTM-FM (95.9 FM; MAYSVILLE, KY; Owner: STANDARD TOBACCO COMPANY, INC.)
- WRAC (103.1 FM; WEST UNION, OH; Owner: DREAMCATCHER COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WBVX (92.1 FM; CARLISLE, KY; Owner: L.M. COMMUNICATIONS OF KENTUCKY, LLC)
- WVXW (89.5 FM; WEST UNION, OH; Owner: XAVIER UNIVERSITY)
- WOHP (88.3 FM; PORTSMOUTH, OH; Owner: THE CEDARVILLE UNIVERSITY)
- WOKE (98.3 FM; GARRISON, KY; Owner: BIG RIVER RADIO, INC.)
- WAOL (99.5 FM; RIPLEY, OH; Owner: RICHARD L. PLESSINGER, SR.)
- WBMK (88.5 FM; MOREHEAD, KY; Owner: AMERICAN FAMILY ASSOCIATION)
- WNXT-FM (99.3 FM; PORTSMOUTH, OH; Owner: HOMETOWN B/C OF PORTSMOUTH, INC.)
- WAXZ (97.7 FM; GEORGETOWN, OH; Owner: RICHARD L. PLESSINGER, SR.)
- W215AV (90.9 FM; SOUTH PORTSMOUTH, KY; Owner: CALVARY CHAPEL OF TWIN FALLS, INC.)
- WZZZ (107.5 FM; PORTSMOUTH, OH; Owner: HOMETOWN BROADCASTING OF PORTSMOUTH 2, INC.)
TV broadcast stations around Tollesboro:
- WPBO (Channel 42; PORTSMOUTH, OH; Owner: THE OHIO STATE UNIVERSITY)
- WHCP (Channel 30; PORTSMOUTH, OH; Owner: TELEVISION PROPERTIES, INC.)
- WUPX-TV (Channel 67; MOREHEAD, KY; Owner: PAXSON LEXINGTON LICENSE, INC.)
- WKMR (Channel 38; MOREHEAD, KY; Owner: KENTUCKY AUTHORITY FOR EDUCATIONAL TV)
- W17AY (Channel 17; SEAMAN, OH; Owner: TRANQUILITY COMMUNITY CHURCH)
Fatal road traffic accident statistics for 1975 - 2013 (per 100,000 population)
FCC Registered Antenna Towers:1
- Mattherw J Wallack, 19838 W Ky 9 (Lat: 38.566944 Lon: -83.632944), Type: 83.5, Overall height: 82.3 m
Registrant: 3153763333, Mwallack@blvdllc.Com, 7383 UTICA BLVD
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses:14 (See the full list of FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses in Tollesboro)
FAA Registered Aircraft:2
- Aircraft: GEMINI TWIN PPC (Category: Land, Seats: 2, Weight: Up to 12,499 Pounds), Engine: ROTAX 582 (65 HP) (2 Cycle)
N-Number: 2543Y , Serial Number: 046, Year manufactured: 2007, Airworthiness Date: 09/05/2007
Registrant (Individual): Deron K Mullikin, 4099 Buck Lick Br, Tollesboro, KY 41189
- Aircraft: PIPER PA-28-160 (Category: Land, Seats: 4, Weight: Up to 12,499 Pounds, Speed: 107 mph), Engine: LYCOMING 0-320 SERIES (180 HP) (Reciprocating)
N-Number: 5847W , Serial Number: 28-2286, Year manufactured: 1965, Airworthiness Date: 08/15/1965
Registrant (Co-Owned): Ronnie E Polley, 291 Saint Andrews Pl, Tollesboro, KY 41189, Other Owners: Verdena R Polley, Michele E Cochran
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 7
Tollesboro on our top lists:
- #46 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of males in occupations: Advertising, marketing, promotions, public relations, and sales managers"
- #93 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of females working in industry: Paper"
- #44 (41179) on the list of "Top 101 zip codes with the largest percentage of taxpayers using paid preparers for 2004 taxes (pop 5,000+)"
Total of 1 patent application in 2008-2016.