Tompkinsville: Old Mulkey Meeting House, State Park, Tompkinsville KY
Tompkinsville: Old house uncle used to live in,
Tompkinsville: Old Mulkey Meeting House,
Tompkinsville: The rolling countryside of Monroe County
Submit your own pictures of this city and show them to the World
|Median resident age:||43.8 years|
|Kentucky median age:||38.5 years|
Zip codes: 42167.
Estimated per capita income in 2013: $13,920 (it was $15,975 in 2000)
Tompkinsville city income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2013: $52,517 (it was $53,500 in 2000)
Median gross rent in 2013: $523.
Races in Tompkinsville, KY (2010)
- 2,06786.1%White alone
- 1827.6%Black alone
- 411.7%Two or more races
- 70.3%Asian alone
- 40.2%American Indian alone
- 10.04%Other race alone
|Is Kentucky the south or the midwest? (646 replies)|
|Does rural Kentucky hate Louisville? (174 replies)|
|Tompkinsville Ky. (1 reply)|
|London or Madisonville Kentucky? (24 replies)|
|Moderate Risk of Severe Weather for Ohio Valley on 2-4 (29 replies)|
|Is there really oil in Ky? (2 replies)|
Latest news from Tompkinsville, KY collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: United States (29.4%), English (24.2%), Irish (11.0%), German (7.9%), Scottish (2.8%), Swedish (2.1%).
Current Local Time: CST time zone
Incorporated on 03/10/1856
Elevation: 923 feet
Land area: 3.66 square miles.
Population density: 626 people per square mile(low).
For population 25 years and over in Tompkinsville:
- High school or higher: 67.5%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 14.6%
- Graduate or professional degree: 6.7%
- Unemployed: 15.7%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 17.7 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Tompkinsville city:
- Never married: 28.8%
- Now married: 39.7%
- Separated: 0.7%
- Widowed: 10.1%
- Divorced: 20.6%
138 residents are foreign born (5.9% Latin America).
According to our research of Kentucky and other state lists there were 9 registered sex offenders living in Tompkinsville, Kentucky as of August 03, 2015.
The ratio of number of residents in Tompkinsville to the number of sex offenders is 258 to 1.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with mortgages in 2013: $452 (0.8%)
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units with no mortgage in 2013: $338 (0.7%)
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Murfreesboro, TN (70.2 miles , pop. 68,816).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Nashville-Davidson, TN (70.5 miles , pop. 545,524).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Chicago, IL (371.2 miles , pop. 2,896,016).
Nearest cities: Gamaliel, KY (2.6 miles ), Mount Herman, KY (2.7 miles ), Hermitage Springs, TN (3.0 miles ), Marrowbone, KY (3.7 miles ), Summer Shade, KY (3.8 miles ), Red Boiling Springs, TN (3.8 miles ), Celina, TN (3.9 miles ), Temple Hill, KY (3.9 miles ).
Latitude: 36.70 N, Longitude: 85.69 W
Daytime population change due to commuting: +1,391 (+62.3%)
Workers who live and work in this city: 624 (79.4%)
Area code: 270
|Crime rates in Tompkinsville by Year|
|City-data.com crime index (higher means more crime, U.S. average = 281.7)||53.2||23.3||143.1||104.9||23.0||50.1||21.1||8.1||18.3|
(click on a table row to update graph)
Crime rate in Tompkinsville detailed stats: murders, rapes, robberies, assaults, burglaries, thefts, arson
|Officers per 1,000 residents here:||3.89|
Unemployment by year (%)
Historical housing units
Population change in the 1990s: -250 (-8.6%).
- Construction (49%)
- Manufacturing (9%)
- Public administration (9%)
- Administrative and support and waste management services (8%)
- Retail trade (6%)
- Other services, except public administration (6%)
- Utilities (3%)
- Retail trade (24%)
- Educational services (19%)
- Health care and social assistance (16%)
- Accommodation and food services (10%)
- Manufacturing (9%)
- Public administration (8%)
- Construction (4%)
- Construction and extraction occupations (49%)
- Production occupations (9%)
- Community and social service occupations (8%)
- Business and financial operations occupations (4%)
- Law enforcement workers including supervisors (4%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (4%)
- Installation, maintenance, and repair occupations (4%)
- Sales and related occupations (19%)
- Office and administrative support occupations (19%)
- Education, training, and library occupations (13%)
- Food preparation and serving related occupations (10%)
- Production occupations (9%)
- Healthcare support occupations (7%)
- Personal care and service occupations (6%)
Average climate in Tompkinsville, Kentucky
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Tompkinsville-area historical tornado activity is slightly above Kentucky state average. It is 50% greater than the overall U.S. average.
On 4/3/1974, a category F4 (max. wind speeds 207-260 mph) tornado 18.2 miles away from the Tompkinsville city center killed 10 people and injured 113 people and caused between $5000 and $50,000 in damages.
On 4/27/1971, a category F4 tornado 33.9 miles away from the city center killed 6 people and injured 58 people.
Earthquake activity:Tompkinsville-area historical earthquake activity is near Kentucky state average. It is 76% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 4/18/2008 at 09:36:59, a magnitude 5.4 (5.1 MB, 4.8 MS, 5.4 MW, 5.2 MW, Depth: 8.9 mi, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 170.7 miles away from the city center
On 7/27/1980 at 18:52:21, a magnitude 5.2 (5.1 MB, 4.7 MS, 5.0 UK, 5.2 UK) earthquake occurred 141.6 miles away from Tompkinsville center
On 6/18/2002 at 17:37:15, a magnitude 5.0 (4.3 MB, 4.6 MW, 5.0 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 145.3 miles away from the city center
On 6/10/1987 at 23:48:54, a magnitude 5.1 (4.9 MB, 4.4 MS, 4.6 MS, 5.1 LG) earthquake occurred 189.5 miles away from the city center
On 4/29/2003 at 08:59:39, a magnitude 4.9 (4.4 MB, 4.6 MW, 4.9 LG, Depth: 12.2 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 152.6 miles away from Tompkinsville center
On 11/30/1973 at 07:48:41, a magnitude 4.7 (4.7 MB, 4.6 ML) earthquake occurred 114.9 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Monroe County (10) is near the US average (12).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 8
Emergencies Declared: 2
Causes of natural disasters: Storms: 7, Floods: 6, Tornadoes: 3, Blizzard: 1, Freeze: 1, Hurricane: 1, Mudslide: 1, Snow: 1, Snowfall: 1, Wind: 1, Winter Storm: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Birthplace of: Eagle Keys - Player of and football, Pearl Carter Pace - Educator, Samuel B. Maxey - Politician, Tim Lee Carter - Politician, Elois Grooms - Football player, Hugh Poland (baseball) - Professional baseball catcher.
Hospitals and medical centers in Tompkinsville:
Airports and heliports located in Tompkinsville:
- Tompkinsville-Monroe County Airport (Runways: 1, Air Taxi Ops: 450, Itinerant Ops: 1,500, Local Ops: 1,525, Military Ops: 25)
- Monroe County Medical Center Heliport
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Tompkinsville:
- Lindsey Wilson College (about 36 miles; Columbia, KY; Full-time enrollment: 2,552)
- Tennessee Technological University (about 38 miles; Cookeville, TN; FT enrollment: 9,761)
- Western Kentucky University (about 47 miles; Bowling Green, KY; FT enrollment: 16,942)
- Southcentral Kentucky Community and Technical College (about 48 miles; Bowling Green, KY; FT enrollment: 2,794)
- Campbellsville University (about 49 miles; Campbellsville, KY; FT enrollment: 2,948)
- Volunteer State Community College (about 51 miles; Gallatin, TN; FT enrollment: 5,311)
- Somerset Community College (about 65 miles; Somerset, KY; FT enrollment: 4,698)
Public high school in Tompkinsville:
- Monroe County High School (Students: 569; Location: 775 Old Mulkey Rd; Grades: 9-12)
Public elementary/middle schools in Tompkinsville:
Notable locations in Tompkinsville: Monroe County Fire and Rescue (A), Tompkinsville Volunteer Fire Department (B), Monroe County Ambulance Service (C). Display/hide their locations on the map
Cemetery: Oak Hill Cemetery (1). Display/hide its location on the map
Creek: Town Creek (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Hotels: Pick's Motel (512 North Main Street), Ole Cumberland Inn (520 Cherry Street).
Court: Monroe County - Circuit Court Clerk (Courthouse).
Drinking water stations with addresses in Tompkinsville and their reported violations in the past:TOMPKINSVILLE WATER WORKS (Population served: 3,695, Surface water):
Past monitoring violations:
- Monitoring and Reporting (DBP) - Between JAN-2014 and MAR-2014, Contaminant: Total Haloacetic Acids (HAA5). Follow-up actions: St Formal NOV issued (MAY-01-2014), St Public Notif requested (MAY-01-2014)
- Monitoring and Reporting (DBP) - Between JAN-2014 and MAR-2014, Contaminant: TTHM. Follow-up actions: St Formal NOV issued (MAY-01-2014), St Public Notif requested (MAY-01-2014)
- Monthly Turbidity Exceed (Enhanced SWTR) - In APR-2012, Contaminant: IESWTR. Follow-up actions: St Public Notif requested (JUN-14-2012), St Formal NOV issued (JUN-14-2012), St Public Notif received (JUL-24-2012), St Compliance achieved (SEP-06-2012)
- Monthly Turbidity Exceed (Enhanced SWTR) - In NOV-2008, Contaminant: IESWTR. Follow-up actions: St Public Notif requested (JAN-09-2009), St Formal NOV issued (JAN-09-2009), St Public Notif received (FEB-05-2009), St Compliance achieved (OCT-29-2009)
- Follow-up Or Routine LCR Tap M/R - In JAN-01-2003, Contaminant: Lead and Copper Rule. Follow-up actions: St Public Notif received (APR-29-2003), St Formal NOV issued (FEB-25-2004), St Public Notif requested (FEB-25-2004), St Compliance achieved (APR-13-2007)
Drinking water stations with addresses in Tompkinsville that have no violations reported:
- MONROE COUNTY WATER DISTRICT (Population served: 9,908, Primary Water Source Type: Purch surface water)
(37.0% for White Non-Hispanic residents, 14.1% for Black residents, 7.6% for Hispanic or Latino residents)
|This city:||2.2 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.3% of all households
- Gay men: 0.4% of all households
People in group quarters in Tompkinsville in 2010:
- 114 people in nursing facilities/skilled-nursing facilities
- 26 people in local jails and other municipal confinement facilities
- 3 people in emergency and transitional shelters (with sleeping facilities) for people experiencing homelessness
People in group quarters in Tompkinsville in 2000:
- 116 people in nursing homes
- 13 people in local jails and other confinement facilities (including police lockups)
- 2 people in other noninstitutional group quarters
Tompkinsville compared to Kentucky state average:
- Median household income below state average.
- Median house value significantly below state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage above state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Institutionalized population percentage above state average.
- Number of college students below state average.
Banks with branches in Tompkinsville (2011 data):
- South Central Bank of Monroe County: South Central Bank Of Monroe County at Fourth And Main Street, branch established on 1889/01/01; Edmonton Road Branch at 1748 Edmonton Road, branch established on 2002/03/04. Info updated 2006/11/03: Bank assets: $114.0 mil, Deposits: $92.4 mil, local headquarters, positive income, 5 total offices, Holding Company: South Central Bancshares Of Kentucky, Inc.
- Edmonton State Bank: North Main Branch at 703 North Main Street, branch established on 1980/05/19; North Main St Branch at Main Street, branch established on 1906/01/01. Info updated 2006/11/03: Bank assets: $433.8 mil, Deposits: $359.4 mil, headquarters in Glasgow, KY, positive income, Commercial Lending Specialization, 13 total offices, Holding Company: Edmonton Bancshares, Inc.
- U.S. Bank National Association: Tompkinsville Branch at 701 North Main Street, branch established on 1926/01/01. Info updated 2012/01/30: Bank assets: $330,470.8 mil, Deposits: $236,091.5 mil, headquarters in Cincinnati, OH, positive income, 3121 total offices, Holding Company: U.S. Bancorp
Educational Attainment (%) in 2013
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2013
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Utility gas (51%)
- Electricity (42%)
- Wood (2%)
- Coal or coke (2%)
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (1%)
- Other fuel (1%)
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Tompkinsville city (based on Monroe County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Monroe County:||3.44 / 10,000 pop.|
|Kentucky:||2.19 / 10,000 pop.|
|This county:||0.86 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||0.25 / 10,000 pop.|
|Monroe County:||5.16 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||4.36 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||6.02 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||5.74 / 10,000 pop.|
|Local government employment and payroll (March 2012)|
|Function||Full-time employees||Monthly full-time payroll||Average yearly full-time wage||Part-time employees||Monthly part-time payroll|
|Other Government Administration||2||$5,138||$30,828||0||$0|
|Police Protection - Officers||10||$37,899||$45,479||0||$0|
|Streets and Highways||5||$11,073||$26,575||0||$0|
|Solid Waste Management||4||$5,758||$17,274||0||$0|
|Parks and Recreation||2||$3,543||$21,258||0||$0|
|Totals for Government||38||$111,961||$35,356||0||$0|
Tompkinsville government finances - Expenditure in 2002 (per resident):
- Construction - General: $500,000 ($218.25)
- Current Operations - Gas Utilities: $916,000 ($399.83)
Water Utilities: $465,000 ($202.97)
Police Protection: $353,000 ($154.08)
Solid Waste Management: $275,000 ($120.03)
Central Staff Services: $179,000 ($78.13)
Sewerage: $146,000 ($63.73)
Regular Highways: $137,000 ($59.80)
Parks & Recreation: $38,000 ($16.59)
Fire Protection: $34,000 ($14.84)
Financial Administration: $9,000 ($3.93)
- Gas Utilities - Interest on Debt: $4,000 ($1.75)
- General - Interest on Debt: $31,000 ($13.53)
- Other Capital Outlay - General - Other: $411,000 ($179.40)
Water Utilities: $222,000 ($96.90)
Central Staff: $50,000 ($21.82)
Gas Utilities: $30,000 ($13.09)
Police Protection: $21,000 ($9.17)
Parks & Recreation: $13,000 ($5.67)
Fire Protection: $3,000 ($1.31)
- Total Salaries & Wages: $550,000 ($240.07)
- Water Utilities - Interest on Debt: $59,000 ($25.75)
Tompkinsville government finances - Revenue in 2002 (per resident):
- Charges - Solid Waste Management: $237,000 ($103.45)
Sewerage: $157,000 ($68.53)
Parks & Recreation: $17,000 ($7.42)
All Other: $2,000 ($0.87)
- Federal Intergovernmental - All Other: $92,000 ($40.16)
- Miscellaneous - Property Sale Other: $124,000 ($54.12)
Interest Earnings: $17,000 ($7.42)
General Revenue, NEC: $16,000 ($6.98)
- Revenue - Gas Utilities: $1,090,000 ($475.77)
Water Utilities: $509,000 ($222.17)
- State Intergovernmental - All Other: $301,000 ($131.38)
Water Utilities: $218,000 ($95.15)
Highways: $42,000 ($18.33)
- Tax - NEC: $212,000 ($92.54)
Property: $202,000 ($88.17)
Public Utilities: $20,000 ($8.73)
Tompkinsville government finances - Debt in 2002 (per resident):
- Long Term Debt Beginning Outstanding - Water Utilities: $978,000 ($426.89)
Gas Utilities: $60,000 ($26.19)
- Long Term Debt Beginning Outstanding, NEC: $514,000 ($224.36)
- Long Term Debt Outstanding Nonguaranteed - Water Utilities: $967,000 ($422.09)
Other, NEC: $469,000 ($204.71)
Gas Utilities: $45,000 ($19.64)
- Long Term Debt Retired Unspecified - Other, NEC: $45,000 ($19.64)
Gas Utilities: $15,000 ($6.55)
Water Utilities: $11,000 ($4.80)
Tompkinsville government finances - Cash and Securities in 2002 (per resident):
- Other Funds - Cash & Deposits: $432,000 ($188.56)
- Sinking Fund - Cash & Deposits: $88,000 ($38.41)
3.80% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($21,162 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved from foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Barren County, KY||0.75% ($23,630 average AGI)|
|from Metcalfe County, KY||0.39% ($49,643)|
|from Warren County, KY||0.34% ($-6,750)|
4.12% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($30,486 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Tompkinsville:
- WTKY (1370 AM; daytime; 2 kW; TOMPKINSVILLE, KY; Owner: WHITTIMORE ENTERPRISES, INC.)
- WSM (650 AM; 50 kW; NASHVILLE, TN; Owner: GAYLORD ENTERTAINMENT COMPANY)
- WAMB (1160 AM; 50 kW; DONELSON, TN; Owner: GREAT SOUTHERN BROADCASTING COMPANY, INC.)
- WLAC (1510 AM; 50 kW; NASHVILLE, TN; Owner: CAPSTAR TX LIMITED PARTNERSHIP)
- WKDA (1200 AM; 50 kW; NASHVILLE, TN; Owner: RADIO NASHVILLE, INC.)
- WNQM (1300 AM; 50 kW; NASHVILLE, TN; Owner: WNQM. INC.)
- WKVL (850 AM; daytime; 50 kW; KNOXVILLE, TN; Owner: HORNE RADIO, LLC)
- WHAS (840 AM; 50 kW; LOUISVILLE, KY; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WWAM (820 AM; daytime; 50 kW; JASPER, TN; Owner: SHELTON BROADCASTING SYSTEM)
- WFLI (1070 AM; 50 kW; LOOKOUT MOUNTAIN, TN; Owner: WFLI, INC.)
- WPLN (1430 AM; 15 kW; MADISON, TN)
- WKCT (930 AM; 5 kW; BOWLING GREEN, KY; Owner: DAILY NEWS BROADCASTING CO.)
- WHIN (1010 AM; 5 kW; GALLATIN, TN; Owner: WHIN, INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Tompkinsville:
- WKWY (102.7 FM; TOMPKINSVILLE, KY; Owner: J.K. WHITTIMORE)
- WTKY-FM (92.1 FM; TOMPKINSVILLE, KY; Owner: WHITTIMORE ENTERPRISES, INC.)
- WSGP (88.3 FM; GLASGOW, KY; Owner: SOMERSET EDUCATIONAL BROADCASTING FOUNDATION)
- WVFB (101.5 FM; CELINA, TN; Owner: ELIZABETH BERNICE WHITTIMORE)
- WGGC (95.1 FM; GLASGOW, KY; Owner: HERITAGE COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
- WGSQ (94.7 FM; COOKEVILLE, TN; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WOVO (105.3 FM; GLASGOW, KY; Owner: NEWBERRY BROADCASTING, INC.)
- WLQK (95.9 FM; LIVINGSTON, TN; Owner: JWC BROADCASTING)
- WBXE (93.7 FM; BAXTER, TN; Owner: JWC BROADCASTING)
- WKYR-FM (107.9 FM; BURKESVILLE, KY; Owner: RAY MULLINIX)
- WLCT (102.1 FM; LAFAYETTE, TN; Owner: LAFAYETTE BROADCASTING CO., INC.)
- WGBV (94.1 FM; GLASGOW, KY; Owner: FOREVER COMMUNICATIONS,INC.)
- WKNK (99.1 FM; EDMONTON, KY; Owner: HART COUNTY COMMUNICATIONS, INC.)
TV broadcast stations around Tompkinsville:
- WPGD (Channel 50; HENDERSONVILLE, TN; Owner: TRINITY BROADCASTING NETWORK)
- WPBM-LP (Channel 48; SCOTTSVILLE, KY; Owner: PROCLAIM BROADCASTING, INC.)
Fatal road traffic accident statistics for 1975 - 2013 (per 100,000 population)
- National Bridge Inventory (NBI) Statistics
- 3Number of bridges
- 5m16ftTotal length
- $173,000Total costs
- 8,149Total average daily traffic
- 417Total average daily truck traffic
- 9,885Total future (year 2031) average daily traffic
FCC Registered Antenna Towers: 47 (See the full list of FCC Registered Antenna Towers)
FCC Registered Commercial Land Mobile Towers: 1 (See the full list of FCC Registered Commercial Land Mobile Towers in Tompkinsville, KY)
FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers: 8 (See the full list of FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers)
FCC Registered Microwave Towers: 7 (See the full list of FCC Registered Microwave Towers in this town)
FCC Registered Maritime Coast & Aviation Ground Towers: 2 (See the full list of FCC Registered Maritime Coast & Aviation Ground Towers)
FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses: 16 (See the full list of FCC Registered Amateur Radio Licenses in Tompkinsville)
FAA Registered Aircraft: 18 (See the full list of FAA Registered Aircraft in Tompkinsville)
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 13
- Hazardous Condition: 3
Incident types - Tompkinsville
|Most common first names in Tompkinsville, KY among deceased individuals|
|Most common last names in Tompkinsville, KY among deceased individuals|
|Last name||Count||Lived (average)|
|Businesses in Tompkinsville, KY|
|Dairy Queen||1||Pizza Hut||1|
Tompkinsville on our top lists:
- #20 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of females working in industry: Petroleum and coal products"
- #56 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of females working in industry: Apparel"
- #85 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of females in occupations: Arts, design, entertainment, sports, and media occupations:"
- #88 on the list of "Top 101 cities with largest percentage of males working in industry: Petroleum and coal products"
- #13 (42167) on the list of "Top 101 zip codes with the largest percentage of United States or American first ancestries (pop 5,000+)"
- #31 on the list of "Top 101 counties with the lowest percentage of residents relocating from other counties between 2005 and 2006"
- #31 on the list of "Top 101 counties with the lowest percentage of residents relocating to other counties in 2006"
Total of 1 patent application in 2008-2015.