We are giving away $1200 in prizes - enter simply by sending us your own city pictures!
|Median resident age:||49.3 years|
|Maine median age:||43.0 years|
Zip codes: 04490.
Estimated per capita income in 2016: $24,605 (it was $14,456 in 2000)
Topsfield town income, earnings, and wages data
Estimated median house or condo value in 2016: $81,893 (it was $48,100 in 2000)
Mean prices in 2016: All housing units: $168,925; Detached houses: $188,029; Townhouses or other attached units: $106,762; In 2-unit structures: $161,614; In 3-to-4-unit structures: $346,963; In 5-or-more-unit structures: $331,181; Mobile homes: $70,848; Occupied boats, RVs, vans, etc.: $41,942
Races in Topsfield, ME (2010)
- 23599.2%White alone
- 10.4%American Indian alone
- 10.4%Other race alone
|Maine weather thread (1480 replies)|
|Maine Waffle Alert (26 replies)|
|Swatted my first blackfly today. (67 replies)|
|What is a plantation (11 replies)|
|Tired of ICE (76 replies)|
|Ice Out (4 replies)|
Latest news from Topsfield, ME collected exclusively by city-data.com from local newspapers, TV, and radio stations
Ancestries: English (53.3%), Irish (13.3%), French (12.4%), Scottish (11.1%), United States (8.9%), Scotch-Irish (8.4%).
Current Local Time: EST time zone
Incorporated on 02/24/1838
Elevation: 488 feet
Land area: 50.7 square miles.
Population density: 4.7 people per square mile(very low).
For population 25 years and over in Topsfield:
- High school or higher: 74.1%
- Bachelor's degree or higher: 8.4%
- Graduate or professional degree: 6.0%
- Unemployed: 5.6%
- Mean travel time to work (commute): 28.9 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Topsfield town:
- Never married: 20.2%
- Now married: 66.0%
- Separated: 0.0%
- Widowed: 8.0%
- Divorced: 5.9%
3 residents are foreign born
According to our research of Maine and other state lists there was 1 registered sex offender living in Topsfield, Maine as of May 20, 2018.
The ratio of number of residents in Topsfield to the number of sex offenders is 237 to 1.
Median real estate property taxes paid for housing units in 2000:
|Topsfield town:||1.5% ($725)|
Nearest city with pop. 50,000+: Portland, ME (173.6 miles , pop. 64,249).
Nearest city with pop. 200,000+: Boston, MA (271.4 miles , pop. 589,141).
Nearest city with pop. 1,000,000+: Bronx, NY (441.9 miles , pop. 1,332,650).
Nearest cities: Talmadge, ME (2.5 miles) , Waite, ME (2.6 miles) , Danforth, ME (3.9 miles ), Lakeville, ME (4.0 miles) , Vanceboro, ME (4.2 miles) , Princeton, ME (4.4 miles ), Springfield, ME (4.5 miles ), Weston, ME (4.7 miles ).
Latitude: 45.43 N, Longitude: 67.76 W
Area code commonly used in this area: 207
Unemployment by year (%)
- Agriculture, forestry, fishing and hunting (38%)
- Educational services (15%)
- Paper (13%)
- Construction (5%)
- Lumber and other construction materials merchant wholesalers (5%)
- Machinery, equipment, and supplies merchant wholesalers (5%)
- Truck transportation (5%)
- Educational services (19%)
- Apparel (17%)
- Health care (14%)
- Accommodation and food services (12%)
- Food and beverage stores (7%)
- Social assistance (7%)
- Construction (5%)
- Fishing and hunting, and forest and logging workers (30%)
- Other production occupations including supervisors (15%)
- Counselors, social workers, and other community and social service specialists (10%)
- Driver/sales workers and truck drivers (10%)
- Life, physical, and social science technicians (5%)
- Therapists (5%)
- Building and grounds cleaning and maintenance occupations (5%)
- Preschool, kindergarten, elementary and middle school teachers (12%)
- Waiters and waitresses (12%)
- Nursing, psychiatric, and home health aides (10%)
- Information and record clerks except customer service representatives (10%)
- Textile, apparel, and furnishings workers (10%)
- Other teachers and instructors, education, training, and library occupations (7%)
- Cooks and food preparation workers (7%)
Average climate in Topsfield, Maine
Based on data reported by over 4,000 weather stations
Earthquake activity:Topsfield-area historical earthquake activity is slightly below Maine state average. It is 94% smaller than the overall U.S. average.
On 10/3/2006 at 00:07:38, a magnitude 4.3 (3.8 MB, 3.8 MW, 4.3 LG, Depth: 4.0 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: IV - V) earthquake occurred 77.1 miles away from the city center
On 4/20/2002 at 10:50:47, a magnitude 5.2 (5.2 MB, 4.2 MS, 5.2 MW, 5.0 MW, Depth: 6.8 mi, Class: Moderate, Intensity: VI - VII) earthquake occurred 298.7 miles away from Topsfield center
On 10/7/1983 at 10:18:46, a magnitude 5.3 (5.1 MB, 5.3 LG, 5.1 ML) earthquake occurred 339.2 miles away from the city center
On 1/19/1982 at 00:14:42, a magnitude 4.7 (4.5 MB, 4.7 MD, 4.5 LG) earthquake occurred 231.7 miles away from the city center
On 9/16/1994 at 07:01:54, a magnitude 3.6 (3.5 LG, 3.6 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi, Class: Light, Intensity: II - III) earthquake occurred 23.1 miles away from Topsfield center
On 9/16/1994 at 04:22:42, a magnitude 3.6 (3.6 LG, Depth: 3.1 mi) earthquake occurred 24.0 miles away from the city center
Magnitude types: regional Lg-wave magnitude (LG), body-wave magnitude (MB), duration magnitude (MD), local magnitude (ML), surface-wave magnitude (MS), moment magnitude (MW)
Natural disasters:The number of natural disasters in Washington County (19) is greater than the US average (13).
Major Disasters (Presidential) Declared: 13
Emergencies Declared: 6
Causes of natural disasters: Floods: 11, Storms: 10, Snows: 5, Winds: 2, Winter Storms: 2, Blizzard: 1, Heavy Rain: 1, Hurricane: 1, Ice Storm: 1, Landslide: 1, Snowfall: 1, Other: 1 (Note: Some incidents may be assigned to more than one category).
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Topsfield:
- University of Maine (about 58 miles; Orono, ME; Full-time enrollment: 8,931)
- Husson University (about 66 miles; Bangor, ME; FT enrollment: 2,421)
- University of Maine at Augusta (about 126 miles; Augusta, ME; FT enrollment: 3,204)
- University of Maine at Farmington (about 128 miles; Farmington, ME; FT enrollment: 2,036)
- Southern Maine Community College (about 174 miles; South Portland, ME; FT enrollment: 4,666)
- Saint Joseph's College of Maine (about 174 miles; Standish, ME; FT enrollment: 2,010)
- University of Southern Maine (about 174 miles; Portland, ME; FT enrollment: 6,647)
Public elementary/middle school in Topsfield:
- EAST RANGE II CSD SCHOOL (Students: 39, Location: 187 SCHOOL STREET, Grades: KG-8)
Notable location: Topsfield Volunteer Fire Department (A). Display/hide its location on the map
Lakes and swamps: East Musquash Lake (A), Farrow Lake (B), Pickerel Pond (C), Malcome Bog (D), Lathrop Heath (E), Deadman Bog (F). Display/hide their locations on the map
Streams, rivers, and creeks: Stuart Brook (A), Woodcock Brook (B), Doren Brook (C), Flood Brook (D), Sweet Brook (E), Burbee Brook (F), Brooks and Walden Brook (G), Baskahegan Stream (H). Display/hide their locations on the map
|This town:||2.5 people|
Percentage of family households:
Percentage of households with unmarried partners:
Likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households)
- Lesbian couples: 0.0% of all households
- Gay men: 1.1% of all households
Educational Attainment (%) in 2000
School Enrollment by Level of School (%) in 2000
Presidential Elections Results
Graphs represent county-level data. Detailed 2008 Election Results
Religion statistics for Topsfield town (based on Washington County data)
Food Environment Statistics:
|Washington County:||4.89 / 10,000 pop.|
|Maine:||2.80 / 10,000 pop.|
|Washington County:||1.22 / 10,000 pop.|
|Maine:||2.20 / 10,000 pop.|
|Washington County:||9.78 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||5.75 / 10,000 pop.|
|Here:||11.31 / 10,000 pop.|
|State:||11.02 / 10,000 pop.|
4.44% of this county's 2011 resident taxpayers lived in other counties in 2010 ($46,571 average adjusted gross income)
0.14% of residents moved from foreign countries ($798 average AGI)
Washington County: 0.14% Maine average: 0.04%
Top counties from which taxpayers relocated into this county between 2010 and 2011:
|from Penobscot County, ME||0.56% ($25,985 average AGI)|
|from Hancock County, ME||0.38% ($33,364)|
|from Cumberland County, ME||0.29% ($38,176)|
4.37% of this county's 2010 resident taxpayers moved to other counties in 2011 ($30,225 average adjusted gross income)
10 or fewer of this county's residents moved to foreign countries between 2010 and 2011.
Top counties to which taxpayers relocated from this county between 2010 and 2011:
Strongest AM radio stations in Topsfield:
- WZON (620 AM; 5 kW; BANGOR, ME; Owner: THE ZONE CORPORATION)
- WREM (710 AM; daytime; 5 kW; MONTICELLO, ME; Owner: ALLAN H WEINER)
- WABI (910 AM; 5 kW; BANGOR, ME; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WRKO (680 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WSKW (1160 AM; 10 kW; SKOWHEGAN, ME; Owner: MOUNTAIN WIRELESS, INCORPORATED)
- WFST (600 AM; 5 kW; CARIBOU, ME; Owner: NORTHERN BROADCAST MINISTRIES, INC.)
- WEEI (850 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: ENTERCOM BOSTON LICENSE, LLC)
- WBZ (1030 AM; 50 kW; BOSTON, MA; Owner: INFINITY BROADCASTING OPERATIONS, INC.)
- WDEA (1370 AM; 5 kW; ELLSWORTH, ME; Owner: CUMULUS LICENSING CORP.)
- WNNZ (640 AM; 50 kW; WESTFIELD, MA; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
- WCRN (830 AM; 50 kW; WORCESTER, MA; Owner: CARTER BROADCASTING CORPORATION)
- WCHP (760 AM; 35 kW; CHAMPLAIN, NY; Owner: CHAMPLAIN RADIO, INC.)
- WTME (780 AM; 10 kW; RUMFORD, ME; Owner: MOUNTAIN VALLEY BROADCASTING, INC.)
Strongest FM radio stations in Topsfield:
- WHCF (88.5 FM; BANGOR, ME; Owner: BANGOR BAPTIST CHURCH)
- WVOM (103.9 FM; HOWLAND, ME; Owner: CLEAR CHANNEL BROADCASTING LICENSES, INC.)
Topsfield fatal accident list:
Aug 17, 2010 06:27 PM, Sr-6, Lat: 45.43550, Lon: -67.70857, Vehicles: 1, Persons: 1, Fatalities: 1, Drunken persons involved: 1
Jul 18, 2006 04:24 PM, Sr-6, Lat: 45.42895, Lon: -67.70891, Vehicles: 1, Persons: 1, Fatalities: 1, Drunken persons involved: 1
Jul 24, 1997 03:35 PM, 1, Vehicles: 2, Persons: 2, Fatalities: 1, Drunken persons involved: 1
Jun 9, 1991 07:45 PM, Campground, Vehicles: 1, Persons: 1, Fatalities: 1, Drunken persons involved: 1
May 3, 1990 02:00 PM, 1, Vehicles: 1, Persons: 1, Fatalities: 1
FCC Registered Cell Phone Towers:1 (See the full list of FCC Registered Cell Phone Towers in Topsfield)
FCC Registered Antenna Towers:10 (See the full list of FCC Registered Antenna Towers)
FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers:9 (See the full list of FCC Registered Private Land Mobile Towers in Topsfield, ME)
FCC Registered Microwave Towers:3
- TOPSFIELD, 3.7 Mi Bearing 235 From (Lat: 45.388333 Lon: -67.797778), Type: Gtower, Structure height: 91.4 m, Overall height: 99.1 m, Call Sign: WPJD834
Assigned Frequencies: 6625.00 MHz, 6004.50 MHzGrant Date: 12/28/2010, Expiration Date: 02/01/2021, Certifier: John E RooneyRegistrant: Holland & Knight LLP, 800 17th Street, N.W., Suite #1100, Washington, DC 20006-3906, Phone: (202) 955-3000, Fax: (202) 955-5564, Email:
- Musquash Mtn (Lat: 45.389222 Lon: -67.796667), Overall height: 42.7 m, Call Sign: WPNA610
Assigned Frequencies: 6605.00 MHzGrant Date: 12/17/2011, Expiration Date: 02/26/2022Registrant: State Of Maine, Office Of Information Technology, State House Station 147, Augusta, ME 04333, Phone: (207) 624-9990, Fax: (207) 287-4599, Email:
- MUSQUASH MTN, Musquash Mountain (Lat: 45.389250 Lon: -67.796667), Type: Tower, Structure height: 54.9 m, Call Sign: WQNM923, Licensee ID: L01544791
Assigned Frequencies: 942.175 MHz, 942.575 MHzGrant Date: 03/28/2011, Expiration Date: 03/28/2021, Certifier: David E MarsRegistrant: State Of; Mscommnet Project Maine, 23 Leighton Road, Shs 147, Augusta, ME 04330, Phone: (207) 624-9994, Fax: (207) 287-6652, Email:
Drinking water stations with addresses in Topsfield and their reported violations in the past:MAINE WILDERNESS CAMPS (Population served: 97, Groundwater):
Past health violations:
Past monitoring violations:
- MCL, Monthly (TCR) - In AUG-2011, Contaminant: Coliform. Follow-up actions: St Public Notif requested (SEP-16-2011), St Formal NOV issued (SEP-16-2011), St Public Notif received (OCT-14-2011), St Compliance achieved (JUN-28-2012)
- MCL, Monthly (TCR) - In JUL-2010, Contaminant: Coliform. Follow-up actions: St Public Notif requested (JUL-30-2010), St Formal NOV issued (JUL-30-2010), St Compliance achieved (AUG-30-2010), St Public Notif received (AUG-31-2010)
- MCL, Monthly (TCR) - In JUN-2010, Contaminant: Coliform. Follow-up actions: St Public Notif requested (JUN-29-2010), St Formal NOV issued (JUN-29-2010), St Public Notif received (JUL-09-2010), St Compliance achieved (AUG-30-2010)
- MCL, Monthly (TCR) - Between OCT-2008 and DEC-2008, Contaminant: Coliform. Follow-up actions: St Public Notif requested (NOV-10-2008), St Formal NOV issued (NOV-10-2008), St Public Notif received (DEC-10-2008), St Intentional no-action (SEP-09-2011), St Compliance achieved (SEP-09-2011)
- MCL, Monthly (TCR) - In AUG-2008, Contaminant: Coliform. Follow-up actions: St Public Notif requested (SEP-05-2008), St Formal NOV issued (SEP-05-2008), St Public Notif received (SEP-24-2008), St Compliance achieved (OCT-15-2008)
- MCL, Monthly (TCR) - In DEC-2006, Contaminant: Coliform. Follow-up actions: St Public Notif requested (JAN-02-2007), St Violation/Reminder Notice (JAN-02-2007), St Public Notif received (JAN-23-2007), St Compliance achieved (SEP-07-2011), St Intentional no-action (SEP-09-2011)
- 4 routine major monitoring violations
2006 National Fire Incident Reporting System Incidents:
- Fire: 6
Most commonly used house heating fuel:
- Fuel oil, kerosene, etc. (79%)
- Wood (19%)
- Bottled, tank, or LP gas (2%)
Topsfield compared to Maine state average:
- Median house value significantly below state average.
- Unemployed percentage below state average.
- Black race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Hispanic race population percentage significantly below state average.
- Median age above state average.
- Foreign-born population percentage significantly below state average.
- Renting percentage significantly below state average.
- Length of stay since moving in significantly above state average.
- Number of rooms per house significantly below state average.
- House age significantly below state average.
- Number of college students significantly below state average.
- Percentage of population with a bachelor's degree or higher significantly below state average.